AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-23, 21:43   Link #21
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Wow mr2.... I fear for him. I could actually see Magellan going all the way, but if he returns I wont mind. I suppose Oda don't want him getting too close to luffy.
Old 2009-06-23, 22:29   Link #22
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

funny thing is that it's possible magallen could have been easily been defeated by the CP9 or zoro by using their air slashes from a distance.

Didn't seem like he's very fast to be able to escape them or being immune to cutting
Old 2009-06-23, 22:54   Link #23
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
^Mags is equal to Shiryuu, who is possibly a swordsman and more than likely has stronger slashes than CP9's cutting techniques.

Mags has blocked some of Luffy's attacks with his poison techniques as well.
Old 2009-06-23, 23:46   Link #24
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
^Mags is equal to Shiryuu, who is possibly a swordsman and more than likely has stronger slashes than CP9's cutting techniques.

not confirm if he is a swordsman though. and it could still mean they are equal because at far range shyiryuu wins while in close range mags wins.

blocking hammer atks is a little different from blocking cuts. he could make a very viscous pile of fuild poison to slow down the punches due to surface area and also poisoing thus weakening the atacker. But it won't work well against a sword cut.

I don't see his poison being harder than concrete for example.
Old 2009-06-23, 23:53   Link #25
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
not confirm if he is a swordsman though. and it could still mean they are equal because at far range shyiryuu wins while in close range mags wins.

blocking hammer atks is a little different from blocking cuts. he could make a very viscous pile of fuild poison to slow down the punches due to surface area and also poisoing thus weakening the atacker. But it won't work well against a sword cut.

I don't see his poison being harder than concrete for example.
Possibly a swordsman? Not confirmed he's a swordsman? The dude has a sword and he uses it to fight, what more proof do you guys need that he's a swordsman?
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-06-24, 00:01   Link #26
marvelB

^I'm guessing that they're talking about the possibility that Shiryuu may have powers aside from his obvious swordsmanship skills. Heck, I've already said myself in past threads that he should possess some wild and unique abilities if he's equal to Magellan in power.....
Old 2009-06-24, 00:17   Link #27
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^I'm guessing that they're talking about the possibility that Shiryuu may have powers aside from his obvious swordsmanship skills. Heck, I've already said myself in past threads that he should possess some wild and unique abilities if he's equal to Magellan in power.....
That is a big if. Considering that Shiryuu was on the losing side before, and he didn't want to meet him again. I thought the only reason that Shiryuu had more power inside Impel Down is because of the higher number of hours he was able to work there.

Let's forget about the actual power levels a bit. I am wondering why he does need some special power in addition to swordsmanship, if you consider a devil fruit power kind of power there. That is like saying Mihawk wouldn't have stood chance against Magellan. But, haven't we already seen that a cannot-be-considered-as-unique haki ability can be used against devil fruit powers with success (the best example was Rayleigh, but I am pretty much guessing Whitebeard and Shanks are similar). The levels make all the difference at the end, but, at least we know that Shiryuu can support his actual fighting power quite a bit with haki.

If you consider the past chapters, I think one of the most surprising parts was an Admiral not being able to use haki to complement his devil fruit powers against Rayleigh.
Old 2009-06-24, 00:37   Link #28
james0246

^Despite Amazon Lily, Haki is still considered to be a fairly exclusive ability (when used offensively and defensively). Who's to say that Kizaru can use haki, or if he can use it, whether or not it is strong or not? etc.
Old 2009-06-24, 00:48   Link #29
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Possibly a swordsman? Not confirmed he's a swordsman? The dude has a sword and he uses it to fight, what more proof do you guys need that he's a swordsman?
spandam had a sword (DF elephant sword) too. do you consider him a swordsman?

In a general sense I guess you could consider him that. But we're talking about using the sword with a certain high level of skill and maybe even to the extent of relying on the sword as the primary weapon of choice.

I'll give you another example, even if magallen carries a sword and uses it oscasionally to poke/slash someone, he won't be considered a swordsman. His real weapon is his poison fruit.
Old 2009-06-24, 03:52   Link #30
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Fu%+ing epic chapter while naruto going back to pathetic village eposides and Bleach's making its everyday boring action scenes.Thanks to One Piece for making my day in Shonen league near all that boring thrash
Old 2009-06-24, 04:04   Link #31
james0246

Wow, great chapter. While I was originally a little upset that Luffy and company weren't going to battle Magellan, after reading the conclusion to this chapter, I have to say I am satisfied. Bon Clay "final moments" were quite nice (just the right amount of emotion), and the final tagline concerning Impel Down ("Worst mistake Ever") was pretty cool...

That being said, there was a big hint that Bon Clay may actually die: His final words were that he has achieved his wish. If we take wish to be similar to dream, then Bon Clay attaining his wish means that he has nothing left to live for (or he has at least attained his life's ambition), which consequently means that he could possibly pass away...

Also, Luffy deciding not to attempt to save Bon Clay was an amazing display of character growth (similar to what Blackbeard D. Kuma was talking about earlier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
And this is where I agree with James, who advocates that Luffy can potentially succeed in trying to rescue Ace without confronting any of the big players.
I should clarify, I have not advocated any specific course of action. At best I am advocating adherence to Luffy's character definition (his Modus Operandi) and am willing to accept any speculation that results from such adherence. In other words, I do believe that Luffy will try to go to the battlefield (his very character definition demands that he try), but as to what he does there, I have stated no specific opinion, and have even gone out of my way to explain that anything or nothing could happen.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-06-24 at 04:50.
Old 2009-06-24, 04:07   Link #32
shankss
CP10

Farewell Bon-Chan and I hope it will be a swift painless death.Looks like Magellan's really pissed and going to unleash all his fury on him
Old 2009-06-24, 08:24   Link #33
marvelB

Heh, once again Bon Clay shows how awesome he is. Yeah, he'll most likely survive his encounter with Magellan, but if (and it's a really big if) he doesn't, well..... it was already said in this thread that this would be an good point for him to bite it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Also, Luffy deciding not to attempt to save Bon Clay was an amazing display of character growth (similar to what Blackbeard D. Kuma was talking about earlier).

I think I was actually more impressed that Luffy didn't cry after finding out about Bon's decision to stay behind. Just compare that to Alabasta, where he DID cry after Bon's sacrifice at that time. To me, THAT was a better example of character growth than Luffy deciding not to go save his friend.....

Anyways, the last line of the chapter definitely has me stoked. Not only does this clear the way for a potential rematch between Luffy and Magellan at Marineford, but the line is most certainly referring to Blackbeard, as well. I hope this means that we'll see a poison-free Blackbeard crew in level 6 next chapter.....

Oh, and nobody mentioned the ministory? It focuses on Franky after all! He's being chased by a bunch of goofy cyborg animals. I rather like gorilla cyborg, myself.

...And it looks like we STILL haven't found out when Bon touched Magellan's face yet. Looks like we'll find out when either the full summary or chapter itself comes out.....

Edit: Oh wait, Luffy DID cry. I missed it earlier since I kinda skimmed through the pics. Ah well, nothing wrong with some manly tears! I like how even Buggy and Mr. 3 are crying for him, too. I guess they regret ditching him at level 5 earlier.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-06-24 at 08:37.
Old 2009-06-24, 10:26   Link #34
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Despite Amazon Lily, Haki is still considered to be a fairly exclusive ability (when used offensively and defensively). Who's to say that Kizaru can use haki, or if he can use it, whether or not it is strong or not? etc.
Exclusive? Even Hachi was aware of that, despite the fact that he was a low-ranked pirate. The only difference of the Amazonas is maybe the percentage of people capable of using it. Make it %80 for them and %10 for the rest. Luffy after all his fighting has recently discovered that ability, so, who is to say that it is limited to only a few? Just because someone does not use it does not mean he/she cannot. And considering the variations in the haki abilities, maybe the number of people having haki is much more than any one of us would think of.

I am sure devil fruit ability is a much more exclusive haves compared to haki.
Old 2009-06-24, 12:40   Link #35
james0246

^Please read my post again, I specifically mentioned that haki being used defesively and offensively is so far an exclusive ability. Presumably, everyone has haki (for instance, Blackbeard can sense it quite easily, but he has never shown any ability to use haki), but only a few can use it offensively and defensively and that special "types" of haki are required (as mentioned during the Sandersonia and Marigold v. Luffy fight).
Old 2009-06-24, 13:36   Link #36
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

During the fight they didn't say that a few can use haki, or haki is an exclusive ability. The only thing that was said was the haki "variation" that Luffy has is a rare kind. The only impression that I get is based on the environment you are in you can learn to use your haki. And Amazonas are lucky compared to the people living outside that island.

If you consider it as a devil fruit ability, in this case, everyone has eaten it. As in the devil fruit case, some are strong, some are not. And, some can learn to maximize the potential of it, while some can ignore and stay at the basic level. And of course some are not even aware of that they had eaten it.
Old 2009-06-24, 13:52   Link #37
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
spandam had a sword (DF elephant sword) too. do you consider him a swordsman?

In a general sense I guess you could consider him that. But we're talking about using the sword with a certain high level of skill and maybe even to the extent of relying on the sword as the primary weapon of choice.

I'll give you another example, even if magallen carries a sword and uses it oscasionally to poke/slash someone, he won't be considered a swordsman. His real weapon is his poison fruit.
Spandam was a joke of a fighter, with less than 10 douriki you couldn't even consider him a threat much less a swordsman. You could basically say he carried that "sword" around for protection because he had absolutely no other power to defend himself with.

But in response to your question, "do I consider [Spandam] a swordsman." Well technically he wields a sword, so therefore he's a swordsman, I mean what else what would you call him? But even if you wouldn't consider him a swordsman, that would make Spandam pretty much the only example of someone who wields a sword but isn't a swordsman (other than the insignificant minor characters of course).

Shiryuu on the other hand is a serious fighting character who was introduced with a sword, when he was freed from impel the first thing he asked for was his sword, and everytime we've seen him fight was with his sword.

So once again, I really don't see what evidence you have to assume he "may not be a swordsman." I mean I'm certainly not going to rule it out as a possibility because stranger things have happened in this show, but 99.9% of those who have used swords have been swordsman, I don't see why that would change now, especially when we're talking about someone as powerful as Shiryuu.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-06-24, 16:02   Link #38
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Shiryuu on the other hand is a serious fighting character who was introduced with a sword, when he was freed from impel the first thing he asked for was his sword, and everytime we've seen him fight was with his sword.
You know, this Shiryuu discussion reminds me of the Shanks discussion, being a swordsman or not [Which I agree Shanks is a swordsman]. I only said possibly because I don't want any arguments similar to the Shanks discussion. I agree that Shiryuu is a swordsman but for the majority, it is not confirmed because we have yet to see him in battle. Again, I agree with you that he is a swordsman, People just don't want to believe that swordsman are actually top class in this series. So Shiryuu being equal to Magellan [A man with insane posion ability] with swordsmanship is too outlandish.

I just leave it alone and wait..Cause the truth will come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyways, the last line of the chapter definitely has me stoked. Not only does this clear the way for a potential rematch between Luffy and Magellan at Marineford, but the line is most certainly referring to Blackbeard, as well. I hope this means that we'll see a poison-free Blackbeard crew in level 6 next chapter.....
I just hope Blackbeard doesn't try to repay Mags for what he did to him if the two should meet. Most likely that is unavoidable.
Old 2009-06-24, 16:20   Link #39
andy

I don't think Magellan is going to follow luffy to Marineford , he has to take care of ID . Then BB is still there so who knows what going to happen .
Old 2009-06-24, 17:00   Link #40
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I highly doubt Magellan is at a level to stop Blackbeard. Blackbeard played a nice game there to divert the attention away from him. After Blackbeard gets what he wanted, Magellan won't even last as long as the time Ace lasted against Blackbeard, especially now that Magellan's powers are identified, when Blackbeard hasn't really used anything.
Closed Thread