AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-02, 12:59   Link #2961
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
But it is filler because we did not see it in the manga. All what we saw is Gon and Killua's fights and when they finished we see Kite with Yunjuu's dead body behind but we didn't know how it went between them.
They're showing what happened offscreen in the manga but it still happened so I personally wouldn't classify it as such. Madhouse probably showed it here for episode pacing purposes and to show off more of Kite/flaunt his stuff

I honestly think the real problem here is people using the word "filler" which carries a lot of different connotations for people, good and/or bad
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 13:08   Link #2962
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
But it is filler because we did not see it in the manga.
IMO filler is material made just to fill an episode. But Kite is the new guy, so the anime has to show his stuff. There is a storytelling purpose in doing so. That's why I can't consider it filler.
Old 2013-06-02, 13:18   Link #2963
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Is there anything remotely as good as this series airing right now? I am still baffled at how this anime isn't more popular in this forums... sigh... I want this anime to have its own sub forum =(
Old 2013-06-02, 13:29   Link #2964
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
They're showing what happened offscreen in the manga but it still happened so I personally wouldn't classify it as such. Madhouse probably showed it here for episode pacing purposes and to show off more of Kite/flaunt his stuff

I honestly think the real problem here is people using the word "filler" which carries a lot of different connotations for people, good and/or bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
IMO filler is material made just to fill an episode. But Kite is the new guy, so the anime has to show his stuff. There is a storytelling purpose in doing so. That's why I can't consider it filler.
It's filler, but it's different from filler based on nothing. This is a filler that expands on a certain scene from the manga that didn't receive much coverage. For example from Naruto, TenTen's fight with Temari. We know it did happen in the manga, but we didn't see what happened. The anime expanded on that and gave us a filler to "fill" that void. Same thing here. We didn't see Kite's fight but we know it happened off-screen. The anime "filled" that for us and showed us how it went.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 13:40   Link #2965
Kazu-kun

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't consider it filler.
Old 2013-06-02, 14:50   Link #2966
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Why does it have to be BAD filler for it to be considered filler?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 20:11   Link #2967
Clarste
Human

Honestly, I think it's bad filler. The entire point was that Kite was so skilled that he managed to finish it "quickly and quietly" with no fuss, while we we were distracted by other things. Both Killua and Gon "dueled" their ants, while Kite "exterminated". Which was the entire point of the comment his weapon made at the end? Showing the fight, and moreover showing Kite toying with his opponent by not ending it immediately, completely changed the meaning of the scene as well as Kite's character development. And not in a good way.

I wouldn't have commented on this since it might be considered needlessly negative, but I absolutely disagree that we "needed" to see this fight, and I think the scene works better without. The anime isn't ruined or anything, but I think it was a poor decision.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 20:24   Link #2968
Hamster

Personally, I no longer consider anything between 2 seconds and 4 minutes as filler. I've had enough people complaining of split second face pans being filler in other series it's getting fucking ridiculous.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 20:27   Link #2969
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Filler is simply material that wasn't there in the original source material. So yes, it is filler. Filler only has a negative connotation because of shows like Naruto where the filler is simply god awful. It's not by default a bad thing, but it's precarious territory.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 20:33   Link #2970
Clarste
Human

The original Hunter x Hunter anime was always praised for its good filler, so yeah I think people should try to look at filler as a neutral thing rather than a bad thing.
Old 2013-06-02, 21:41   Link #2971
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

H x H Volume 31 and 32 were the #3 and #4-ranked sellers in Japan in the first half of 2013. Amazing.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 01:35   Link #2972
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

What volumes are those?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 02:08   Link #2973
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Is there anything remotely as good as this series airing right now?
You might wanna check Shingeki no Kyoujin and Suisei no Gargantia.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-06-06 at 01:20. Reason: Do not link to that site here!
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 02:37   Link #2974
leokiko

Volume 31 just got released here in Brazil, bought it today. Awesome volume, seriously, Togashi is a freaking genius.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 08:43   Link #2975
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

You might wanna check Shingeki no Kyoujin and Suisei no Gargantia.
I'll definitely will, thanks. Although I must say, it is going to be hard for other shounen to be as good as HXH.
Old 2013-06-03, 09:06   Link #2976
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I'll definitely will, thanks. Although I must say, it is going to be hard for other shounen to be as good as HXH.
Just to warn you, Suisei no Gargantia is not a shounen series like HxH. It's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi mecha. I recommended it coz I assumed you were asking for good anime from any genre which airing now.

Okay, enough off-topic. Now I want to know if there's a deeper reason for Kite to have/choose that gambling-like power of his. Even Gon and Killua were caught off guard by the absurdity of it .
Old 2013-06-03, 09:26   Link #2977
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Okay, enough off-topic. Now I want to know if there's a deeper reason for Kite to have/choose that gambling-like power of his. Even Gon and Killua were caught off guard by the absurdity of it .
Keep in mind that Ging was his master. And Ging is kind of weird.
Old 2013-06-03, 10:47   Link #2978
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
There could be a few reasons Kite's power went that way. Maybe that kind of restriction is in the same domain as Kurapika. You restrict your options as to what weapons and it makes the weapons more powerful as well as gives Kite more options than he'd have if he had to just make the weapon of choice. Or might have made it that way so he'd become flexible and able to adapt better. If you never know what kind of weapon is going to come out have to be ready to fight in any way against any opponent.

Or just because Ging's weirdness rubbed off on him .
Old 2013-06-03, 13:08   Link #2979
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Honestly, I think it's bad filler. The entire point was that Kite was so skilled that he managed to finish it "quickly and quietly" with no fuss, while we we were distracted by other things. Both Killua and Gon "dueled" their ants, while Kite "exterminated". Which was the entire point of the comment his weapon made at the end? Showing the fight, and moreover showing Kite toying with his opponent by not ending it immediately, completely changed the meaning of the scene as well as Kite's character development. And not in a good way.

I wouldn't have commented on this since it might be considered needlessly negative, but I absolutely disagree that we "needed" to see this fight, and I think the scene works better without. The anime isn't ruined or anything, but I think it was a poor decision.
strongly agree with this. While it was 'cool' to see Kite fight, it also took something out of the scene.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 13:35   Link #2980
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I personally think it's better that they showed the fight. I've grown weary of HxH's style of "Informed/Ambiguous Powerlevels". It's one of the story's major drawback for me imo.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen