AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 22 39.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-08, 04:53   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Penguin Drum - Episode 22 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Penguin Drum, Episode 22.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-12-08, 12:34   Link #2
YayPepsi

This show is bad for my health. I get so worked up over it. XD I'm going to wait until the sub to say anything else because I have no idea what the hell is going on anymore.
Old 2011-12-08, 12:44   Link #3
Grim_Reaper

Wow, this episode felt like 5 minutes long.
Old 2011-12-08, 13:52   Link #4
Kazu-kun

Let's tie some knots here:

Back in 1995 Momoka saved Tokyo from Sanetoshi.

In episode 9 Himari was looking for a book called Super-Frog Saves Tokyo. This is a reference to Murakami, but San-chan does find the book in the library. I think that in the context of the story this book is about Momoka. She is/was the super frog that saved Tokyo.

Not surprisingly, there's a lot of frog imagery related to Ringo. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but now things seem to be coming together.

Spoiler for episode 22:

So, is Ringo the new super frog? On this note I read a comment on myanimelist that I liked quite a bit:

Quote:
Shouma needs a good kick from Ringo to start fighting already. Kamba gives his all. Himari gives her all. It's time for Shouma to stop being trash, to stop running away and save the world. He has a superfrog next to him who he can rely on. What's more, her name's Ringo - apple, a symbol of love and universe.
Old 2011-12-08, 14:27   Link #5
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Quote:
Shouma needs a good kick from Ringo to start fighting already. Kamba gives his all. Himari gives her all. It's time for Shouma to stop being trash, to stop running away and save the world. He has a superfrog next to him who he can rely on. What's more, her name's Ringo - apple, a symbol of love and universe.
Depends
Old 2011-12-08, 14:29   Link #6
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Depends
On what? The very first episode states that interpretation, which is also a reference to Miyazawa.
Old 2011-12-08, 14:56   Link #7
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
On what? The very first episode states that interpretation, which is also a reference to Miyazawa.
Isn't the apple a symbol of the next world, i.e. the afterlife? And the exact line is, "The apple is a reward for those who have chosen love over everything else," which once again puts me in mind of a Modoka-style ending.
Old 2011-12-08, 15:07   Link #8
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Isn't the apple a symbol of the next world, i.e. the afterlife?
Not necessarily. I mean, you might interpret it that way but not every passenger on the train is dead. Giovanni is alive, and he also gets an apple. The apple symbolizes the ties that bind people together, either dead or alive. Basically, it symbolizes love (not necessary romantic but any kind of love). Miyazawa also used to refer to the apple as a "universe in the palm of your hand", since everything in the universe is interconnected.
Old 2011-12-08, 15:33   Link #9
konart

Quote:
On culture\religion etc. But here - yeah...
Old 2011-12-08, 15:42   Link #10
Kazu-kun

Damn, Masako was so badass there at the end.

She's become my second favorite character after Ringo. Himari and Shouma are useless, and Kanba is a nutjob. Ringo and Masako FTW!!!

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-12-08 at 16:35.
Old 2011-12-09, 00:48   Link #11
YayPepsi

Maybe it's my wishful thinking, but I have a feeling that Kanba is going to somehow be able to be redeemed from this after all. He's still being shown in a somewhat sympathetic light, especially with saving Masako and the flashback of how he wanted them to live a normal life. I could be wrong, of course. I'm very biased in my love for Kanba after all. :P

It was a good episode. I've come to realize how much I like Masako. She was my absolute least favorite character in the beginning and she grew on me a lot. I'd say now that she's my third favorite, after Himari. Speaking of Himari, that scene with her and Kanba was great and so sad. I really felt for Kan in that scene - he knew she was forcing herself to say those things. And Himari, giving back his life to him. I really thought that maybe her wish would come true and she would die back in the aquarium. It would be interesting if her wish in the present is what caused her to die in the aquarium in the past, and then cause the penguin hat to save her, causing a fate loop of sorts.
Old 2011-12-09, 01:17   Link #12
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
And Himari, giving back his life to him. I really thought that maybe her wish would come true and she would die back in the aquarium. It would be interesting if her wish in the present is what caused her to die in the aquarium in the past, and then cause the penguin hat to save her, causing a fate loop of sorts.
Nope. Not that shit again please.

Anyway, another awesome episode.

I don't see how Kanba could possibly be redeemed from blowing up a number of security personnel short of some magic. Ringo does have half her diary but ;_;

I still want something that doesn't feel like deus ex machina to end the anime.

From that interview of Ikuhara, I get the feeling that Kanba is going to be convicted as a criminal and yet still loved by his family, including Shouma.

Himari should still die. It'll be very interesting to see how that's played out.

This show already overdid my expectations for it (probably because I didn't have crazy high expectations like a lot of people did) but a well done ending would make it that much better.
Old 2011-12-09, 01:41   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm no longer rooting for Kanba to be redeemed. He doesn't deserve redemption. No amount of manic obsession with a theoretically worthy cause can justify the actions he's taken. Kanba simply uses people and throws them away for what he sees as a noble goal.

If he lives, Ikuhara has created a pretty nihilistic universe here.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:05   Link #14
EroKing

Quite sad Kanba turned out to be like this after being GAR for most of the series. What way could it be that Sanetoshi mention to save Himari? Whatever it is most likely involves a big number of people to die. Maybe he really is just the ghost of a terrorist. This had to be the most confusing episode so far. Did Masako die at the end? Seriously hope not, she doesn't deserve it. I'm still hoping somehow Ringo, Shouma and Himari live at the end.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:41   Link #15
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm no longer rooting for Kanba to be redeemed. He doesn't deserve redemption. No amount of manic obsession with a theoretically worthy cause can justify the actions he's taken. Kanba simply uses people and throws them away for what he sees as a noble goal.

If he lives, Ikuhara has created a pretty nihilistic universe here.
On the contrary, I don't think Penguindrum is the sort of universe where anyone is beyond redemption. It certainly won't be free, and Kanba may not be able to get it in this lifetime, but it's not foreclosed to him.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:47   Link #16
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
On the contrary, I don't think Penguindrum is the sort of universe where anyone is beyond redemption. It certainly won't be free, and Kanba may not be able to get it in this lifetime, but it's not foreclosed to him.
It's more about the degree of redemption imo. There's no way Kanba can go back to being a happy-go-lucky playboy Aniki again. But that he can see the errors of his ways, be forgiven at least by his "family" (no bloody way anyone else would, could or should) and repent in some way is possible and for me, that's still redemption.
Old 2011-12-09, 03:35   Link #17
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Screw everyone else, all I got from this episode is that Yuri and Tabuki are together again. <3

Which is kinda odd, as I feel detached to the main story even when you factor in that the Shoma-Himari-Kanba triangle are all childhood friends. I dunno, Shoma is too much of a wuss right now, while Kanba is pursuing an ideal where he thinks Himari would be happy rather than what she is trying to say. In any case, both are NOT taking into consideration what Himari really wants.

Heck, I felt way more during the cliffhanger in where Himari just dropped dead and had to be rushed to the hospital. Now that Himari has indeed faded from existence, I was just kinda meh.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-12-09, 03:38   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Screw everyone else, all I got from this episode is that Yuri and Tabuki are together again. <3

Which is kinda odd, as I feel detached to the main story even when you factor in that the Shoma-Himari-Kanba triangle are all childhood friends. I dunno, Shoma is too much of a wuss right now, while Kanba is pursuing an ideal where he thinks Himari would be happy rather than what she is trying to say. In any case, both are NOT taking into consideration what Himari really wants.

Heck, I felt way more during the cliffhanger in where Himari just dropped dead and had to be rushed to the hospital. Now that Himari has indeed faded from existence, I was just kinda meh.
This has never been about Himari for Kanba. He loves her, but it's always been a possessive love. He's doing this for himself.

As for Yuri and Tabuki, I got a sort of benediction vibe from their story. I think Yuri gave Ringo her half of the diary and effectively withdrew herself and Tabuki from the game. Will Tabuki live? Who knows - but in any case those two, at least, seem to have found peace.
Old 2011-12-09, 03:39   Link #19
ndqanh_vn

Quote:

Heck Sanetoshi is pretty well beyond redemption in my opinion. Actually in the end what the hell is he trying to gain? I still think his existence is a metaphor to all bad deals of the past that are still haunting people.

Still 2 more episodes. Could it really end well? I really doubt it. It's a good show, but I hope it would have the perfect ending that brings it close to Utena level. Because it's too good a story to be wasted.

And really, I don't want to see Himari back from the death once more time. Three times is stretching it.
Old 2011-12-09, 03:52   Link #20
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndqanh_vn View Post
Heck Sanetoshi is pretty well beyond redemption in my opinion.
I don't think he needs redemption, not being human and all that lol.

I agree about Himari. If she's dead, I hope she'll stay that way for good this time around.