AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-27, 23:32   Link #981
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
This is confirmed to be 25 episodes? Is there even enough material for that? Also I highly and I mean HIGHLY doubt they can keep even remotely close to that quality level throughout. Some of those shots are some of the best work I've seen in anime, period. I mean there are other components such as motion, choreography, and whatnot but the backgrounds themselves are off the charts.

As I said, I'm aware that Aniplex is pumping ungodly amounts of money into this. If this is indeed 25 episodes and they keep this quality level, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was the most expensive anime ever produced. However as you also stated, ufotable does deserve alot of credit for this. Very few studios even with the proper money and time could pull something like this off. The only three I could think of is KyoAni, Madhouse, and Production IG. Even then I have my doubts as to whether Madhouse and Production IG could pull this off.
It's not going to be as expensive as you or several other people think it is. Take a look at the screenshots again, and you'd notice that there's a LOT of CG trickery going on in those. It's especially noticeable in the background behind Tokiomi, where you have a small number of textures simply repeating one after another.

One of the skills that ufotable picked up during the development of Kara no Kyoukai was the blending of CG and drawn animation together to reduce the amount of effort necessary for an animation scene. Several stills and detailed objects are rendered in CG, then drawn over manually to make it appear like it was hand drawn. There's the usage of bright colors in animation heavy scenes to distract from animation inconsistencies. There's a lot of shortcuts that ufotable has learned to do with those movies to save time and budget, and they're simply applying it to TV anime.

Not to say that these shortcuts aren't impressive, since they tend to blend in naturally and you wouldn't notice them at a first glance. It's a rather unorthodox method to be sure, but if that makes it appear "movie-quality", then I'm really all for it. It still will also cost a pretty penny too, but don't really think for a second that this would really completely break the bank so to speak.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 23:47   Link #982
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Yeah, I noticed that the backgrounds seem to have too much depth to them. And you can clearly see CG in some of the CMs (the clouds in Rider and Velvet's CM, the metal things in Lancer and Archibald's CM, even the Gate of Babylon in Archer and Tohsaka's CM. Even so, this is the best CG work I've seen in anime. I hope more studios adopt ufotable's techniques, because they KNOW how to actually use CG to not only cut costs but also make scenes look absolutely stunning.

Quote:
This is confirmed to be 25 episodes? Is there even enough material for that?
Not like Aniplex hasn't done it before with DRRR!!, using 24 eps for only 3 novels. That said, I recall Urobuchi saying that the anime would include things that were not in the novels, so I'm sure they will fill out the blanks.
Old 2011-09-27, 23:48   Link #983
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
This is confirmed to be 25 episodes?
AFAIK it'll be only twelve (thirteen if you count the first one-hour special as separate. Maybe/hopefully so will the finale)
Old 2011-09-28, 00:03   Link #984
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
It's not going to be as expensive as you or several other people think it is. Take a look at the screenshots again, and you'd notice that there's a LOT of CG trickery going on in those. It's especially noticeable in the background behind Tokiomi, where you have a small number of textures simply repeating one after another.

One of the skills that ufotable picked up during the development of Kara no Kyoukai was the blending of CG and drawn animation together to reduce the amount of effort necessary for an animation scene. Several stills and detailed objects are rendered in CG, then drawn over manually to make it appear like it was hand drawn. There's the usage of bright colors in animation heavy scenes to distract from animation inconsistencies. There's a lot of shortcuts that ufotable has learned to do with those movies to save time and budget, and they're simply applying it to TV anime.

Not to say that these shortcuts aren't impressive, since they tend to blend in naturally and you wouldn't notice them at a first glance. It's a rather unorthodox method to be sure, but if that makes it appear "movie-quality", then I'm really all for it. It still will also cost a pretty penny too, but don't really think for a second that this would really completely break the bank so to speak.
Yes there is definitely use of CG for some of the backgrounds but CG isn't cheap and then you're talking about modifications to said CG. As you already said, they used it extensively in KnK so I'm sure they are pretty familiar with how it works which might cut back on costs. Obviously we'll have to wait until after the first couple of episodes to see how much CG is used and how well they animate motion and battle scenes. I just can't see this being cheap in any remote sense. From what we've also seen from other CVs even the character models themselves seem to be insanely detailed(looking at Saber in full battle armor and Berserker).

So, in regards to the episode count, we have no clue how many episodes there are? However the good money is on 12/13?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 00:19   Link #985
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
AFAIK it'll be only twelve (thirteen if you count the first one-hour special as separate. Maybe/hopefully so will the finale)
Quote:
So, in regards to the episode count, we have no clue how many episodes there are? However the good money is on 12/13?
No, it's confirmed to be 25 episodes.

tvk episode listings:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nanamibeya/20110822/p1

Fate/Zero・・・全25話(tvk)
Old 2011-09-28, 01:27   Link #986
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
No, it's confirmed to be 25 episodes.

tvk episode listings:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nanamibeya/20110822/p1

Fate/Zero・・・全25話(tvk)
Huh. that's news for me.

And it worried me, TBH. The material is plenty, but not enough to fill 25 eps IMO...
Old 2011-09-28, 01:32   Link #987
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Talking about CG, just remember how Angel Beats was faking their quality using half-assed CGs. ufotable is using it as a 'productive' mean, not like angel shit.

When people say 'movie quality', it is basing the opinion for 2chers who actually went to premiere event and said that 'exact' words. So, there is no doubt about it. Blah Blah Blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
You call it 'trickery'?

I call it 'clever directions'.
Old 2011-09-28, 04:50   Link #988
Westlo
Lets be reality

Archer you forgot to mention the ufotable motion blurring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I don't think DEEN would have been able to produce something like this even if they were given just as big a budget.
As a TV series more than likely not, but I'm more impressed by DEENs animation in Read or Die OVA than ufotable's in KnK. Also if given enough time and budget even mediocre studio's can rise to the occasion. Look @ Artland and their work over the last 10 years. Mushishi is by far the clear standout (and not just in animation), Artland hired a lot of gun freelance animators for that series and it was completely animated in 2s which is is rare as fuck for TV anime which is primarly done in 3s.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 08:22   Link #989
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
As a TV series more than likely not, but I'm more impressed by DEENs animation in Read or Die OVA than ufotable's in KnK. Also if given enough time and budget even mediocre studio's can rise to the occasion. Look @ Artland and their work over the last 10 years. Mushishi is by far the clear standout (and not just in animation), Artland hired a lot of gun freelance animators for that series and it was completely animated in 2s which is is rare as fuck for TV anime which is primarly done in 3s.
Oh yes, Mushishi. That's just god damn impossible. I couldn't believe that there was no CG at all in that series.

From my knowledge, ufotable is a group who are even more obsessed with Sakuga than Kyoani, due to younger average age of animators. So we can expect something.
Old 2011-09-28, 08:42   Link #990
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Oh yes, Mushishi. That's just god damn impossible. I couldn't believe that there was no CG at all in that series.
Mushishi was my first Artland series, you could imagine my disappointment as I checked out the rest of their works lol.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 14:10   Link #991
LostHanyou

Please tell me I'm not the only one who squee'd at Rin.
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 11:13   Link #992
alumnox

Hi... this might be off topic but since this is the only thread that seems active I decide to post my question here in hopes someone can help me.

Believe it or not just a few minutes ago I finished playing Fate/Stay night pc version with the English patch and start reading the fate /zero novel but a question is tormenting my soul .

In the end of the heavens feel ending Rider tells Tohsaka that she needs to talk to her in private and Tohosaka says that they can chat at her house the next day.

What is Rider question or about ? what they need to talk about ?
alumnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 13:13   Link #993
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

^ That belongs here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6702
Old 2011-09-30, 04:51   Link #994
Auria

Long Oath Sign preview is up on Niconico: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15754002
Auria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 05:00   Link #995
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auria View Post
Long Oath Sign preview is up on Niconico: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15754002
Hmm, I was one of those people who "defended" the OP song, saying you can't judge it by a 5sec long preview but now I think I was wrong - it does sound generic, can't say I'm feelin' it at all .
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 09:24   Link #996
ukulelembo
Detective

ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 11:28   Link #997
Yuna Amakura

Now it's proved that those 5 seconds were more than enough.
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 12:08   Link #998
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Yeah, even the ending is better...
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 12:31   Link #999
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auria View Post
It's not bad but... it's nothing special either. Well, at least the OP sequence will most likely be good even with a generic song. I'll look forward to LiSA hopefully being replaced by someone else for the second cour.

Also that video, Girls Dead Monster = "legendary band"? lol, since when?
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 13:17   Link #1000
maximilianjenus
[E]

so, at around which time will the stream start ?
it's already past 3am in japan

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2011-09-30 at 13:17. Reason: more info
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fate/stay night, nasu, ufotable, urobuchi gen, visual novel adaptation