What does the name Bokurano mean?
I<3killerloli's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 16:12   Link #202
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3killerloli's View Post
What does the name Bokurano mean?

Boku is a common male pronoun for referring to oneself. Used commonly by young males in an informal situation.

Bokura is the plural form of Boku, it technically means "we", and it is less gender specific than "Boku". It's like a more informal version of "watashi-tachi".

"-no" is the possessive particle. A no B means "B of A". E.g. "eigo no sensei" = English Teacher...

So "Bokurano" simply means "Our..."

If you look closely at the title, it's written like it's been torn in the middle, meaning that "Bokura no (something)" is truly implied. Whether it's "Bokura no Chikyuu" (Our Earth), "Bokura no Inochi" (Our lives), "Bokura no Monogatari" (Our story), etc... it's purposefully left ambiguous.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 19:23   Link #203
stpehen
kisses for all

I made the original decision to spell it "Bokurano" rather than "Bokura No" when Mangascreener started working on the manga, and that seems to have stuck with how people refer to the anime as well. It's not as legitimately precise as "Bokura No" but I just couldn't stand the way that looked, and felt mashing it into one word was much more elegant.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 22:50   Link #204
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
I made the original decision to spell it "Bokurano" rather than "Bokura No" when Mangascreener started working on the manga, and that seems to have stuck with how people refer to the anime as well. It's not as legitimately precise as "Bokura No" but I just couldn't stand the way that looked, and felt mashing it into one word was much more elegant.
I completely agree with that decision. From the perspective of Japanese language, where particles are ALWAYS postfixes, I don't think that a native reader/speaker would consider the "no" a separate word in any way. Even though it's traditional when transliterating Japanese to English to add spaces between particles for readability, as a title, I think it's truly a single verbal element, and as such "Bokurano" is the best way of writing it for an english speaking audience (assuming you don't simply translate it. )

Oh, and some comments on episode 2
Spoiler for episode 2:
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 09:31   Link #205
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Well, let's hope the things they'll change will only have to do with the word mecha.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 10:45   Link #206
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
I have to hand it to you 'Quarkboy' you really know how to break it down.

At the same time Kitoh Mohiro seems to always come up with some odd titles for his works.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 18:32   Link #207
Diedrupo

Watching ep 2 right now. Story is basically faithful to the manga but there are lots of annoying little changes. What's the point of Waku getting some kind of magical tattoo on his forearm? Why did Gonzo make up 2 new side characters? And of course some of the chairs are different. Hopefully the chair changes do not mean major story changes later on...
Nice mention of Aiko Tokosumi's dad (whom we didn't even know about until fairly recently in the manga).

Spoiler:
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 18:49   Link #208
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
I'll agree with you and Quarkboy. Not only is it more elegant without being less accurate to the original Japanese, but it prevents English accents from adding an inappropriate pause or stressing it improperly.

If I'd heard some one mispronounce it that way, it would significantly increase my stress level. Good call.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 19:07   Link #209
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Man, the music is so perfect in the second episode --- everything just fits. Gonzo know what they're doing with this one. & i'm glad to see that Dung Beetle can still make me LOL. Anyway:

Spoiler for Episode02:
Old 2007-04-17, 19:37   Link #210
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Oops posted in the wrong thread. Sorry.
Old 2007-04-18, 01:08   Link #211
chrno_the_sinner

The second episode ended very well.

I think they're putting more focus on Tokosumi as well, but that could just be from her being in the manga focus right now.

And I don't see the two new side characters as a problem, considering,
Spoiler:

The tattoo was also weird, but insignificant.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 01:45   Link #212
Rion
Ramune~

Oh my God, a tattoo @.@ Well, whatever, it is insignificant. I'm looking forward to what Gonzo is going to do with the end the most.

Actually I don't think that this adaptation is really faithful ^^;;; There are a lot of minor changes and much more hints about what's going to happen later in my opinion. Narutaru seemed much more faithful to the original to me. (However, a friend of mine absolutely disagreed with me, saying that there were a lot of cut-out scenes.)

Quote:
Nice mention of Aiko Tokosumi's dad (whom we didn't even know about until fairly recently in the manga).
Well actually we should have known. At the end of volume 1, there are short profiles of the kids and it is mentioned that Tokosumi is the daughter of a newscaster. I have only noticed that recently though
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 03:05   Link #213
chrno_the_sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
Oh my God, a tattoo @.@ Well, whatever, it is insignificant. I'm looking forward to what Gonzo is going to do with the end the most.

Actually I don't think that this adaptation is really faithful ^^;;; There are a lot of minor changes and much more hints about what's going to happen later in my opinion. Narutaru seemed much more faithful to the original to me. (However, a friend of mine absolutely disagreed with me, saying that there were a lot of cut-out scenes.)

Well actually we should have known. At the end of volume 1, there are short profiles of the kids and it is mentioned that Tokosumi is the daughter of a newscaster. I have only noticed that recently though
Narutaru had quite a bit cut out, including two characters (whose purpose wasn't known in the first six [seven in the US] volumes [which is all DH put out]).

And we do find out about Tokosumi's dad in the manga itself, though it is quite small.

Spoiler for manga equivalent of episode 2:
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 08:10   Link #214
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

for all who require the anime summary of episode 2, here is it.

Episode 2 summary + thoughts ^_^

I personally found this episode a good start for the whole show and builds into the mood.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 19:28   Link #215
Onniguru

The raws for this on bittorrent seem to be...slow in coming (no I'm not asking where to get them).

I got tired of waiting, and bit the bullet: I spent the last two hours figuring out how to get SHARE (WInny remake) working on my system .

It worked though...found ぼくらの 第02話 right away

This is the first time in awhile I've felt the need to try this hard to get a show right away though :O

Last edited by Onniguru; 2007-04-18 at 20:03.
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 20:45   Link #216
wao
OK.

Can I just mention this - I want to start a fucking support group for people who are hopelessly addicted to the OP song.

UNINSTALL IT FROM MY HEAD PLEASE.

This is totally the best OP I've heard the whole year so far from a personal POV. It just sticks in my head so well and has such a melodious tune that carries hope and despair and all that stuff together... aargh!

Help! I can't be the only one! I can't even get it out of my head when I'm doing tests!
Old 2007-04-18, 20:47   Link #217
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Help! I can't be the only one! I can't even get it out of my head when I'm doing tests!
Well, my Last.fm page did tell me that i listened to the TV size MP3 205 times last week. >__>
Old 2007-04-18, 21:46   Link #218
Onniguru

I burned it onto an audio CD so I could play it in the car while driving, even though its only a minute and a half long
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 21:50   Link #219
Dandruff
Flakey

wao, you're not the only one, there ya go, someone told you ...but seriously...there should be a support group xD All night as I tried to sleep it played in my head, not only is the tune melancholy, but the lyrics as well.

All in all, 'tis the best OP of this season. Lawl, I wonder how "bad" it will be for us all when the single comes out xD....Can't wait...lol
Dandruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 21:52   Link #220
hi no ken Jebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Can I just mention this - I want to start a fucking support group for people who are hopelessly addicted to the OP song.

UNINSTALL IT FROM MY HEAD PLEASE.

This is totally the best OP I've heard the whole year so far from a personal POV. It just sticks in my head so well and has such a melodious tune that carries hope and despair and all that stuff together... aargh!

Seriously I hum it without noticing almost as addicting as that purururin from NHK the single for it is on my to buy list without a doubt.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mecha