AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-15, 17:44   Link #361
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Oh, he means it all right. Not as much as he makes it seem (that's one of the points of Disappearance), but he does have problems with Haruhi, almost more in volume than in nature, aside from her odd sociopathic Kick the Dog moments here and there. She's largely rectified the situation herself by dialing it down from 11, but she still has her lapses now and again. I'm willing to bet that's why Tanigawa gradually introduced the Anti-dan to take part of Haruhi's role in the plot, since Haruhi has gradually been moving from antagonist to McGuffin.

I beg to differ. As much as Kyon may bitch and moan and try to get out of dealing with things, when it gets down to it, he's usually right there at the end resolving the issue at hand. Whether it's killing Haruhi's latest collateral damage-creating buzz, or figuring out what to get Yuki or Itsuki to do to solve the problem (since they rarely act on their own unless it's to stage a problem), or running out into the street to save a little kid and by extension the existence of Mikuru, or changing/ensuring history, or taking a knife in the gut, he's earned his keep. No doubt. The fact that he has flaws only makes him a more interesting character.

I think if Yuki had changed certain things less, primarily herself, he might have considered staying. It wasn't just the SOS-dan members he missed, because he ended up gathering them all up anyway. what he missed were his SOS-dan members, the moe moe Mikuru, the tacit alien bookworm Yuki, and even the force of nature Haruhi. Itsuki he probably liked better as the Yukiverse version... ^_^

Don't let them get you down on the man. He's just a flawed person like the rest of us (his entire point of being). They're just all upset because he's his own primary cause of shipping failure... ^_^

Think about the way existence must seem for Yuki. You are aware of things on a level that is not even conceivable to the human mind. You are constantly in contact with a mind-bogglingly LARGE existence, only it's not so much "in contact with" as on several levels you are it. Now you're about to drop your own considerable existence into the mind of a real human. I'd say it's the equivalent of cutting away your cerebrum, crawling into a thimble, and welding it shut behind you, but that doesn't begin to describe it. The idea of that has to absolutely terrify her, only to be topped by the realization that she can't stop herself from doing it. Wouldn't you want a familiar face around, one who at least on some level can relate to what you're going through?

And she couldn't stop Ryoko any more than Mikuru(small) would have been able to. Tell me that watching that wasn't the icing on her horror cake...

I don't remember that line about Koyouen. I remember a line about the school, but can't remember if they were saying it became co-ed recently or had always been, but there's no reason that memory changes couldn't be part of the Yukification of the world. May not be able to change the fact that 366 days ago it was an all-girls school, but you can certainly change everyone's memories from 365 days ago of it ever having been an all-girls school.

Wow. What is with all the Kyon hate? That's a massive Flanderization based on one incident in Volume 7 where he was a little too busy saving the world (as usual) to realize that Yuki might have taken an invitation to the library a little more seriously than he did. Granted, it took Mikuru(small) to point it out (obvious much?), but it's quite an exception.
When I said that I didn't like Kyon as much as I had it was moreso that he was my absolute favorite anime character, but now that I've looked at aspects of the other members (and even Tsuruya-san) thanks to discussions last fall on this board, I find myself admiring their characters more and less. When you're at the top, there's nowhere else to go but down. I do like the guy still, in fact I prefer him over Yuki and Asakura (I tried to get an Asakura avatar/signature image trend going, but alas failure). I believe right now is just a period where fans aren't particularly fond of Kyon due to the 2009 episodes where it took him eight episodes to end the loop and then almost punched Haruhi for (in the anime) a minor occurrence of getting Mikuru drunk and tapping her on the head. Yuki made her world perfect for trying to capture Kyon's heart for herself, but there was one thing that prevented that from happening: Haruhi Suzumiya in both worlds. If it wasn't for the Kouyouen Haruhi taking action, Kyon wouldn't have been able to go back. If it wasn't for the memory of Haruhi from the normal world, Kyon wouldn't have raced to find that Haruhi.

As for Yuki, I picture her as an organic computer when she was first made that's grown to experience life as a human and all that's come with it. I don't want to give too much away to try and entire people to read my post, so I'll stop my point there. I do agree that seeing Ryoko stab the person you're falling for and not being able to do anything about is a gutwrenching feeling. Just look at how Mikuru couldn't even see straight when that happened. I think that's possibly why she refused to synchronize with the December 18th version; to try and say "I'm not going to make this mistake happen again. He's decided and I'll protect him from now on."

Here's the line from B-T's translation:
Quote:
"If I'm not mistaken, she's enrolled in the high school at the bottom of the hill, just in front of the station. She's already a bright person, so it's only natural that she would study in such an elite high school."

Elite school?

"Is Kouyouen really that good? I thought they were a girl's school for the rich and famous."

Taniguchi looked at me with pitiable eyes and said,

"Kyon, I don't know what they told you in junior high, but that school's always been co-ed. Not to mention it's one of the top schools in university entrance rate in this prefecture. To have such a school in our district really pisses me off!"
Kaisos, your line made me laugh. Evidently Haruhi's power is the power of plot devices! If you have no objection, I may use that in my post tomorrow.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-15, 18:51   Link #362
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Wow. What is with all the Kyon hate? That's a massive Flanderization based on one incident in Volume 7 where he was a little too busy saving the world (as usual) to realize that Yuki might have taken an invitation to the library a little more seriously than he did. Granted, it took Mikuru(small) to point it out (obvious much?), but it's quite an exception.
I meant that he really doesn't consider her in the same way he does Mikuru or Haruhi, after she starts fading into the background of the plot again.

That is, even after he promises to stop relying on her to solve everything, that's exactly what he continues to do book after book.

And did I say I hated Kyon? I don't. He's my second favorite character after Koizumi. It's Yuki that I don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Kaisos, your line made me laugh. Evidently Haruhi's power is the power of plot devices! If you have no objection, I may use that in my post tomorrow.
Sure, go ahead.
Old 2010-02-21, 16:11   Link #363
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Something just came to mind...
To those of you who have a good memory (its been a while since I read the novels), did it at any point say whether present Nagato (at least up to just before vol.4) retains memories of vol.4 Kyon and adult Mikuru visiting her place shortly after putting vol.3 Kyon and Mikuru in frozen state?

So really my question is, did she already know she was going to alter the universe right from the beginning of the series? I know she tried to connect with her future self but was denied, but she still learns of the reality change in the future.

禁則事項です
Old 2010-02-22, 02:26   Link #364
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The answer to your question is: yes.
Old 2010-02-22, 21:25   Link #365
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Sorry for posting rhe same thing....
But, if you want proof...
Spoiler for nothing exactly:
Old 2010-03-04, 02:24   Link #366
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
What about the other way around? Does post-vol.4 Nagato retain memories of everything alt-Nagato went through?

禁則事項です
Old 2010-03-04, 02:45   Link #367
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
That largely depends on how you look at things. If you look at it from the perspective that the time line was "fixed," then there would be no way for her to have those memories, as she never experienced them in the first place. If you look at it from the perspective that what Kyon experienced is what really happened during the three day period and everyone else has false memories of those days, then it's possible she remembers those events.

In an effort to make things short: Probably not.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2010-03-04, 07:48   Link #368
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Actually, going by the timeline here, post-Disappearance Yuki will retain the memories of the alternate December 18-20 timeline. It was never mentioned that Alt!Yuki got erased/deconstructed, or that her memories got altered.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:25   Link #369
Tabasco

I wonder about that, actually. We know for certain that Yuki synchronized with her 3 year earlier counterpart during the Tanabata incident, but is this a regular thing for her?
Old 2010-03-04, 23:30   Link #370
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Actually, going by the timeline here, post-Disappearance Yuki will retain the memories of the alternate December 18-20 timeline. It was never mentioned that Alt!Yuki got erased/deconstructed, or that her memories got altered.
Actually, "Kyon is the only person with memories of having experienced BOTH versions" pretty much says that Nagato doesn't retain any memories of it.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2010-03-05, 00:10   Link #371
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Yeah this is pretty much what I thought as well, but just wasn't 100% sure. I wanted to see what everyone else makes of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Actually, "Kyon is the only person with memories of having experienced BOTH versions" pretty much says that Nagato doesn't retain any memories of it.
But it was never really explicitly mentioned that she doesn't retain memories of those three days.

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2010-03-05 at 00:22.
Old 2010-03-05, 00:59   Link #372
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I was more pointing out that the timeline Ice Block had linked to specifically states Kyon is the only one who remembers the other 18th through 20th.
Old 2010-03-09, 05:14   Link #373
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

One question. Can IDTE(including the interfaces) create living things aside the interfaces. such as normal human or animal or plant.?(including bacteria or germs)
Old 2010-03-09, 05:27   Link #374
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Haruhi's ability to outright create data is what the IDTE is interested in, and to them, everything is data.
Old 2010-03-09, 07:00   Link #375
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

To put it in simple physics terms, Haruhi is able to violate the Conservation of Energy/Mass principle, by creating matter/energy from nothing.

The IDTE on the other hand can only convert existing matter into other forms.
Old 2010-03-09, 08:46   Link #376
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

So, that means IDTE can erase someone from existence and replace it using the same data?
Old 2010-03-09, 13:26   Link #377
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
To put it in simple physics terms, Haruhi is able to violate the Conservation of Energy/Mass principle, by creating matter/energy from nothing.

The IDTE on the other hand can only convert existing matter into other forms.
Thank you for putting it in those terms. That was how I'd been thinking of it, but had been unable to come up with the right words to articulate it to myself. I feel like a great weight has been lifted, because now I can go "aha, physics conservation laws!" and not have to do an hour of mental circumlocutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
So, that means IDTE can erase someone from existence and replace it using the same data?
Right. It's like, in a way, http://www.fancyfastfood.com or using the pieces from one mosaic to create a completely different picture/pattern, for two very general and broad and not entirely accurate examples, since data can change form, too. Kind of like turning a pair of blue jeans into a sheet of paper, except the IDTE wouldn't need all the in between steps or extra things like water or paste. Or, actually, I forget how jeans get made into paper besides shredding them and using a window screen and water, it's been ages since we did that in elementary school.
Old 2010-03-09, 20:15   Link #378
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Or to think of this in Star Trek terms:

The IDTE is like the matter replicators: able to make just about anything from raw elements fed into the machine, while Haruhi is just Q.
Old 2010-03-10, 05:25   Link #379
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

So that means Yuki can "disassemble" a cat and made a few pigeon from the "data" as long as the amount of data is sufficient ??
Old 2010-03-10, 05:47   Link #380
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

mm, that about sums it up.

She managed to give herself emotions and basically change everything, without removing them entirely, now didn't she? XD
Closed Thread

Tags
characters