AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-12, 09:01   Link #19601
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Whitney Houston died just this afternoon. (Careful clicking here; this site crashed my Net server.)
Hmm... I'm torn here... a death is always a sad event.
But I have not forgiven her yet for screwing up my childhood!

All we had was a radio and MTV! And both were playing Whitney Houston all the time. She's also to blame for the rise of all the other diva ballad singers that came after her, which would haunt my radio channels for years to come. Oh the horror...

Those are the scary memories of my youth, I was traumatized by women holding a tone for so long that the torment felt like eternity. The tone never stops! And it all started with her.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2012-02-12 at 09:11.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:07   Link #19602
solomon

Meeehhhhhh, a little early for the gentle ribbing If I do say so, like it or not she had ten times the talent most of these so called "divas" had.
Old 2012-02-12, 11:24   Link #19603
Sides

Quote:
Whitney Houston died just this afternoon. (Careful clicking here; this site crashed my Net server.)
She did had a great voice, but personally didn't like her later works. Still "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" is still funky.
Old 2012-02-12, 14:43   Link #19604
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of hers, but she certainly had talent, and it's heartbreaking how she got "turned on" and then "dropped out" so fast.

Now of course people are probably going to be egging Bobby Brown's house, or worse. I'm not going to go ahead and say that he alone got her into drugs and sent her on her fatal downward spiral, but I can't waste much time defending the guy either.
Old 2012-02-12, 14:50   Link #19605
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of hers, but she certainly had talent, and it's heartbreaking how she got "turned on" and then "dropped out" so fast.

Now of course people are probably going to be egging Bobby Brown's house, or worse. I'm not going to go ahead and say that he alone got her into drugs and sent her on her fatal downward spiral, but I can't waste much time defending the guy either.
I've heard several of her friends saying they were really two of a kind and the worst one could say is that they enabled each other.

Myself, I thought she was talented, but in general I didn't care for the genre of music. I liked maybe 3 tunes she did. Nonetheless, pretty sad.
Old 2012-02-12, 15:06   Link #19606
solomon

Well if you were black you couldn't escape it, you HEARD Whitney, CONSTANTLY.

While I was never a "fan" (I was just a kid) I did hear her music growing up and liked it.
Old 2012-02-12, 15:12   Link #19607
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Well if you were black you couldn't escape it, you HEARD Whitney, CONSTANTLY.

While I was never a "fan" (I was just a kid) I did hear her music growing up and liked it.
Yeah, at the time she was "big", I was more apt to be listening to ZZ Top, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, Dead Can Dance, AC/DC, etc - I didn't even care for the radio stations she was likely to be played on. But I lived in Houston at the time, so yeah ... in the malls, cars driving by, background in restaurants.
Old 2012-02-12, 15:19   Link #19608
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I listened to mostly oldies stations and classical music, so I didn't hear her all that often (until AMV Hells started using her for stuff). By the time I was in high school I didn't listen to the radio all that much anyway...mainly oldies station or Dr. Demento.

In other news:

Arab League wants UN peacekeepers in Syria

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...epers-in-syria

Quote:
The Arab League will call Sunday for the U.N. Security Council to create a joint peacekeeping force for Syria, the latest effort by the regional group to end the 11-month old crisis that has killed more than 5,000 people.

The new effort is spelled out in a draft resolution obtained by The Associated Press and expected to be adopted by League foreign ministers meeting in Cairo. However, Syria is unlikely to accept a joint U.N.-Arab League peacekeeping force.

Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Saud Al-Faisal conveyed the League's frustration with Syria by telling delegates it was no longer appropriate for the league to stand by and watch the bloodshed in Syria.

"Until when will we remain spectators?" he said. "It is a disgrace for us as Muslims and Arabs to accept" the bloodshed in Syria, he said....
Old 2012-02-12, 15:28   Link #19609
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
British police arrest five at Murdoch's Sun newspaper
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81A07T20120211
You'd think that just inviting a few senior police officials to some parties with the Page3 girls would be enough to get the police off The Sun's back.
Old 2012-02-12, 16:33   Link #19610
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I listened to mostly oldies stations and classical music, so I didn't hear her all that often (until AMV Hells started using her for stuff). By the time I was in high school I didn't listen to the radio all that much anyway...mainly oldies station or Dr. Demento.

In other news:

Arab League wants UN peacekeepers in Syria

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...epers-in-syria
So the only one than seem to be against a internationnal action are Syria's gouvernement, Iran, Russia and China, right or did I forgot someone ?
Old 2012-02-12, 16:42   Link #19611
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I imagine some governments don't care one way or the other. And there are probably smaller countries that object as well, but no one care what they think in the media, as they have no power to do anything about it one way or the other...so they aren't talked about (most Sub-Sahara African countries....most former Soviet Republics in Asia, and some other Asian counties tend to not get any press when it comes to who thinks what about things in the rest of the world...also most Latin American countries are ignored as well in their stance on international interventions....be they for or against. Because of this, I have no idea what all these countries stances are on this matter.)
Old 2012-02-12, 19:11   Link #19612
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Great! Show those Russkies who's boss!

Quote:
FRACKING? NO PROBLEM
And ruin our groundwater while we're at it!
Old 2012-02-12, 20:21   Link #19613
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
That one of the many fears and complains about shale gas. Extracting shales gas require truckload of water than will have to treated afterwise but of course it's something than the business exploiting the gas won't do.
Old 2012-02-12, 20:24   Link #19614
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Riots spread as Greek lawmakers OK austerity bill
Legislation will allow country to cut debt; protesters set fire to 34 buildings; deputies expelled for opposing vote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46358793...d_news-europe/

"Would this be a time for a colorful metaphor?"
Old 2012-02-12, 22:51   Link #19615
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah, at the time she was "big", I was more apt to be listening to ZZ Top, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, Dead Can Dance, AC/DC, etc - I didn't even care for the radio stations she was likely to be played on. But I lived in Houston at the time, so yeah ... in the malls, cars driving by, background in restaurants.
I'm pretty much the average 80s kid, grew up idolizing MJ, listening to Guns n' Roses, occasionally singing to Prince and Madonna.
Was never a Whitney fan, but I can't possibly see how anyone, in this thread or not, deny the vast amount of talent she showcased.

There were only handful of true divas, and she was definitely one.
May her rest in peace.
Old 2012-02-13, 00:44   Link #19616
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
That one of the many fears and complains about shale gas. Extracting shales gas require truckload of water than will have to treated afterwise but of course it's something than the business exploiting the gas won't do.
I saw an independent documentary about it. It's pretty scary when you see the water that can be set on fire coming out of the tap.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:37   Link #19617
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For Iraqis, aid to rebels in Syria repays a debt

Intensifying violence suggests that Assad's government faces antagonists across its borders

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46363845...ew_york_times/

This is getting weird.
Old 2012-02-13, 04:25   Link #19618
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Putin vows to boost Russian population
Quote:
Moscow (Feb 13, Mon): Prime Minister Vladimir Putin vowed today to reverse Russia's demographic decline and boost its population to 154 million, as he ramped up his re-election campaign in the face of protests.

Mr Putin reeled off a list of social policies that he said could reverse a demographic decline and boost Russia's current population that has now dwindled to almost 143 million.

"In a global sense, we are facing the risk of turning into an 'empty space' whose fate will not be decided by us," he said in an article published on his campaign website and mass-circulation newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda.

"If we manage to formulate and implement an effective complex people-saving strategy, Russia's population will go up to 154 million," he said.

"The historic price of the choice between action and inaction is nearly 50 million human lives over the next 40 years," he added in the article, his fifth campaign article since last month.

AFP
One would have thought, given the amount of *ahem* artistic Russian content online, making babies would be the last problem Russia has to deal with. Seriously though, I'm surprised to learn that a country nearly twice the size of the United States has less than half the US' population.

Meanwhile, in a place sorely lacking in "empty space":

More S'poreans 'not mentally ready' for babies
Quote:
Singapore (Feb 13, Mon): While money tops the list of reasons Singaporeans are not having more babies, another factor — being not mentally prepared — is proving a growing barrier.

About two in five people polled last year said they were emotionally ill-equipped to have children, compared with just three in 20 in 2010.

This made it the second-most cited reason by more than 600 people surveyed by voluntary welfare organisation I Love Children at the end of last year. The other reasons cited were time, career being a priority, and the lack of quality or affordable childcare support.

Those who took part were between the ages of 21 and 39, with the majority married for more than two years but childless. The rest were single, soon-to-wed, newly wed, married with a child or married with two children.

Money remained a key concern among those surveyed. Half of the respondents said it played a big part in their decision whether or not to start a family.

Singapore's total fertility rate (TFR) picked up slightly last year, rising to 1.2, but from a historic low of 1.15 the year before. The minimum replacement TFR is around two. There are roughly 2.1 births per woman in most industrialised countries.

THE STRAITS TIMES
Old 2012-02-13, 05:11   Link #19619
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Fracking : A process which an oil drilling team smokes crack and end up not giving a fuck about anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Meanwhile, in a place sorely lacking in "empty space":

More S'poreans 'not mentally ready' for babies
I wonder why do we hire so many researchers in the Biopolis and A*Star while they are just loafing around instead of starting on a population project.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-13, 05:42   Link #19620
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: India's sour food safety record
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81C06720120213

As Xi visits, China's U.S. crop demand a balm for tensions
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81B0Y320120213

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international