Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2014-05-09, 22:36   Link #381
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Any chance of getting evaluated in another country? you would probably have to smuggle any medication as some kind of illegal substance, but prevents it from becoming a hindrance if you ever have to search for another employer. I know you are too far away, otherwise I could search for some local private institutions for diagnosis.
I need the certification to get more time in exams, which I have trouble scoring distinctions for. Any foreign diagnosis have to be endorsed by a local doctor, which means being input into a local medical database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Private doctor at Mount E or other good institution? Can trust them to keep patient confidentiality or not?
Forced disclosure. The employer has the right to force consent of medical background in order to reduce their in-house medical provision costs by taking medical records from the central medical database, as part of company policy. It is just like how employers can refuse to hire you if you refuse to turn over the login to your CPF account.

The only place that I know of is the military, which under the OSA, is able to keep secret all medical records of their personnel and previous personnel as the incidents and occurences contain classified information (where the injury occured, who is involved, etc, are all classified).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-10, 08:19   Link #382
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I need the certification to get more time in exams, which I have trouble scoring distinctions for. Any foreign diagnosis have to be endorsed by a local doctor, which means being input into a local medical database.
Maybe* it is another example of putting the carriage in front of the horses, but maybe if you got the right treatment you would not need more time in said evaluations. The son of a cousin has ADHD, but from what he tells me he got a lot better when they got a doctor that changed his diet (he probably is taking some diet supplements, I did not ask for the specifics).

* science I am no physician, all my comments are empirical at best.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-10, 11:45   Link #383
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Forced disclosure. The employer has the right to force consent of medical background in order to reduce their in-house medical provision costs by taking medical records from the central medical database, as part of company policy. It is just like how employers can refuse to hire you if you refuse to turn over the login to your CPF account.

The only place that I know of is the military, which under the OSA, is able to keep secret all medical records of their personnel and previous personnel as the incidents and occurences contain classified information (where the injury occured, who is involved, etc, are all classified).

If your school knows...your employer can force disclosure too

Schools are even more lose lipped than doctors

Quote:
Maybe* it is another example of putting the carriage in front of the horses, but maybe if you got the right treatment you would not need more time in said evaluations. The son of a cousin has ADHD, but from what he tells me he got a lot better when they got a doctor that changed his diet (he probably is taking some diet supplements, I did not ask for the specifics).

* science I am no physician, all my comments are empirical at best.
His problem is discrimination....which is not uncommon here due to uninformed dummies filling executive positions
Old 2014-05-10, 12:34   Link #384
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
His problem is discrimination
IMO his problem is a that he has avoided treatment due to discrimination.

Quote:
....which is not uncommon here due to uninformed dummies filling executive positions
That is also a common problem here, speaking in general terms. Any kind of mental illness here carries a social stigma, albeit here I do not think laws force disclosure of any records.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 23:46   Link #385
AnimeFan188

Are Viruses the Next Cure for Cancer?:

"The unlikely strategy of using a live virus to treat cancer took yet another step
forward this week with the news that scientists at the Mayo Clinic had treated two
adults with the blood cancer, multiple myeloma, by injecting them with mega-doses
of genetically modified measles virus."

See:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...or-cancer.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-17, 20:47   Link #386
AnimeFan188

Sure, We'll (Eventually) Beat Cancer. But Can We Afford To?:

"Last year, MD Anderson oncologist Hagop Kantarjian launched a crusade against
current cancer drug prices, decrying the $100,000+ price tag for more than a dozen
therapies launched over the last two years that may come with minimal survival
gains for the median patient – measured in months or even weeks. Other
physicians at Memorial Sloan Kettering, ASCO, and beyond have joined with long
standing critics of the pharmaceutical industry to call for changes to the current
cancer drug pricing system, if not outright cancer drug price controls."

See:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...-we-afford-to/
Old 2014-05-24, 02:54   Link #387
AnimeFan188

The Drug That Could Reverse Alzheimer's:

"A drug in early animal trials has shown promising results, appearing to reverse the
symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease in mice.

Additionally, in mice, the treatment reduced inflammation in parts of the brain that
are associated with memory and learning, according to a study led by Susan Farr of
Saint Louis University School of Medicine, published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s
Disease."

See:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...e-in-mice.html
Old 2014-06-17, 05:52   Link #388
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Washing chicken 'spreads infection'

Ok that's scary. So how do i properly clean raw chicken from the supermarket?
Old 2014-06-17, 05:56   Link #389
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Washing chicken 'spreads infection'

Ok that's scary. So how do we properly clean raw chicken from the supermarket?
Old 2014-06-17, 06:02   Link #390
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Rinse it?

No seriously, wash your hands before you eat, and eat better to boost your immune system. Your body will take care of the rest, just the way it did for the past 38 million years.

Speaking of which, I have been throughly deprived of sleep since Saturday, and I having trouble nodding off. My diet for the past few days has absolutely no caffiene, however my appetite decreased to the extent that I only ingest soup. Up till today, I should have been considered to "sleep" (remaining awake but no physical activity, full awareness) only 8-10 hours in 4 days.

It is 12am here and I still can't sleep. Is it considered normal for a person to not sleep after a few days of sleep deprivation?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-06-17 at 11:40.
Old 2014-06-19, 22:09   Link #391
AnimeFan188

Vitamin A derivative could help treat obesity, diabetes: study:

"In a discovery that could lead to treatment for obesity and type 2 diabetes,
prevent cardiovascular complications and ease weight management, scientists at
the University of Montreal have identified retinoic acid, a derivative of Vitamin A,
as the magic wand that turns fat cells brown.

Known as the body's "good fat," brown fat is preferable to white fat because of
its ability to generate heat. This is called thermogenesis, and it's what makes an
active metabolism. The mitochondria of brown fat cells are able to rapidly oxidize
fatty acid to produce heat.

To make this happen, researchers say exercise isn't necessary. This means brown
fat cells increase the basal energy metabolism, also called the "resting
metabolism." For example, that friend everyone has who eats like a horse and
never exercises might just have a lot of small brown fat cells."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/vitamin-deriva...160017775.html
Old 2014-06-24, 22:13   Link #392
AnimeFan188

5 New Methods for Losing Weight You Won't Believe Are Legal:

"The media will never tire of telling us that America is the fattest nation on Earth,
and how the sheer mind-boggling mass of its gargantuan ass is dragging all the
other Western nations into a deadly orbit around obesity. There are thousands of
weight loss solutions available, and they range from "technological snake oil apps"
to "not eating quite so damn much." And then there are these, which all sound like
bizarre torture methods you'd find in a sci-fi flick."

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article_21141...are-legal.html
Old 2014-07-26, 20:18   Link #393
AnimeFan188

UV-Powered Blood Test Could Make Universal Cancer Detection Possible:

"Early detection is the best tool to fight cancer, but biopsies can be painful and
inconclusive. New research shows a simple blood test can detect cancers by blasting
white blood cells with UV and seeing how they respond. Painless, universal cancer
detection could be a drop of blood away."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/uv-powered-blood-...tec-1611341681
Old 2014-08-31, 03:50   Link #394
AnimeFan188

Bionic pancreas: A new dawn for diabetics?:

"Now a group of researchers in the US say they have developed the first bionic
pancreas that works in the real world enabling patients to lead a near normal life."

See:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28810813
Old 2014-09-03, 18:19   Link #395
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Man Having Heart Attack on Plane Saved by Passengers

Quote:
A man who suffered a heart attack on an airplane was saved by a three passengers — a doctor, a policeman and a pharmacist — with the aid of resuscitation equipment and drugs.

The plane was flying through some of the most remote airspace in the world when the man had a myocardial infarction, followed by cardiac arrest. But thanks to passengers and crew who were trained in basic emergency care, the man survived until the plane landed; he later made a full recovery, according to a report of the incident published Aug. 22 in the British Medical Journal.

The emergency reveals the importance of training laypeople in basic resuscitation, and of keeping an automatic external defibrillator (AED) on board flights, said Dr. Dave Monks, co-author of the report and one of the passengers who came to the man's aid. Monks was an anesthesiologist at the Royal Free Hospital in London at the time of the flight. [5 Real Hazards of Air Travel]

"This guy was extremely fortunate to have this team there," the doctor said.

Monks was on board the plane from Canada to Hong Kong when the man began complaining of chest pain. Monks went to speak with the man, who said his pain was radiating to his ears and gums, before he lost consciousness. The passenger had no pulse, Monks said.

With the man still sitting in his seat, Monks began doing chest compressions and called for help. Two other passengers, a policeman and a pharmacist, answered the call.

"These guys just happened to be on the plane and even with the [basic medical skills] they had, they were able to perform a quite dramatic and sophisticated critical care resuscitation," Monks told Live Science.

Together, the three passengers moved the man to a more open area of the plane, near the emergency exit, and the policeman took over doing CPR, freeing up Monks to monitor the man's airway. A flight attendant dashed over with an (AED), a portable device that can detect irregular heartbeats and electrically shock the heart so it can re-establish a normal rhythm.

Defibrillators are available on some planes, but not all, Monks said. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration requires all flights to carry them, but it's not an international mandate. "In this case, [the device proved] lifesaving for this man," Monks said.

The crewmembers used the AED to shock the man's heart back into a rhythm and restore blood flow to his brain and vital organs. But later, the man had more trouble. It's likely that his heart went into an irregular rhythm because of a condition called cardiogenic shock, and then he went back into cardiac arrest, Monks said.

The doctor and the others resumed CPR until the man showed signs of life. Under Monks' direction, the pharmacist, who had worked in an intensive care unit, administered epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) from the plane's medical kit intravenously, adjusting the dosage as needed.

Meanwhile, the plane was diverted to the nearest major city, in China. When the flight landed, the man was taken to a nearby hospital and given anti-clotting drugs. He later made a full recovery and suffered no brain damage, Monks said.

In fact, medical emergencies on airplanes are fairly common, occurring on about 1 in every 600 flights, according to a 2013 study in the New England Journal of Medicine. But in only 7 percent of cases does the aircraft have to divert its route, the study found.

The most common medical complaints on flights are feelings of lightheadedness or passing out (known as syncope), followed by respiratory problems, nausea and vomiting, according to the study. About 1,000 passengers per year experience sudden cardiac death on commercial flights, according to a 2011 study published in the Singapore Medical Journal. More people die of heart problems on flights than in airplane crashes, Monks and his colleagues said.

Medical emergencies can happen anywhere, but they may be more likely on airplanes because of the "lethal cocktail" of travel-related stress, disturbed sleep patterns and lower levels of oxygen. Pilots, too, have been known to suffer heart attacks while in flight.

Advances in telemedicine could allow airline crews to relay audio and visual information to ground-based doctors in the event of future emergencies like the one Monks witnessed, he said.

Old 2014-09-10, 22:06   Link #396
AnimeFan188

Induced Stem Cells Will Be Tested on Humans for the First Time:

"Back in 2006, when controversy over embryonic stem cell funding was still raging, a
piece of research came along that would make the debate essentially obsolete:
normal adult cells can actually be reprogrammed into stem cells. No embryos
necessary. The technique went on to win its inventor the Nobel Prize. And now, after
many years in the lab, a Japanese patient will the first person to receive the
next-gen treatment, called induced pluripotent stem cells."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/induced-stem-cell...fir-1633186920
Old 2014-09-10, 23:47   Link #397
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Induced Stem Cells Will Be Tested on Humans for the First Time:

"Back in 2006, when controversy over embryonic stem cell funding was still raging, a
piece of research came along that would make the debate essentially obsolete:
normal adult cells can actually be reprogrammed into stem cells. No embryos
necessary. The technique went on to win its inventor the Nobel Prize. And now, after
many years in the lab, a Japanese patient will the first person to receive the
next-gen treatment, called induced pluripotent stem cells."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/induced-stem-cell...fir-1633186920
I demand that this technology be made mandatory to the female population. Insta permanent legal lolis to date FTW!

Old 2014-09-11, 23:12   Link #398
AnimeFan188

Woman in her twenties discovers that she was born without a cerebellum:

"A woman living in China’s Shandong Province got a bit of a surprise recently when
doctors at the Chinese PLA General Hospital told her that her brain was missing one
of the most important centers for motor control: the cerebellum. She had initially
checked herself into the hospital because of a bad case of dizziness and nausea,
New Scientist reports."

See:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/11/61...t-a-cerebellum
Old 2014-09-28, 14:35   Link #399
AnimeFan188

5 Surprising Things That Are Secretly Making You Fat:

"It's no secret that the Western world is getting fatter. We're all seemingly hell-bent
on expanding until we inevitably merge into one humongous lard-beast that will run
(well, waddle) rampant across the planet. But it's not entirely the fault of our
sedentary lifestyles. As we've mentioned before, there are far stranger forces than
Loaded Doritos working to embiggen your ass."

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article_21578...g-you-fat.html
Old 2014-10-14, 01:12   Link #400
AnimeFan188

New Type Of 'Good' Fat Could Help Cure Diabetes:

"Scientists have added a new type of fat to the list of “good” fats that help keep us
healthy. So healthy, in fact, that this new fat may play a role in eventually
developing treatments to address Type 2 diabetes as well as inflammatory diseases
like Crohn's disease and rheumatoid arthritis, according to the research team behind
the discovery.

The fatty acid, called “FAHFA” (short for fatty acid hydroxyl acids), can be found in
human fat cells as well as other human cells, according to lead author Barbara Kahn,
a molecular endocrinologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and a professor
at Harvard Medical School. FAHFA actually helps cells secrete insulin (a hormone that
helps regulate blood sugar) and it also improves insulin’s interactions with tissues in
the body. Those two mechanisms are crucial to helping keep blood sugar levels
down, which keeps Type 2 diabetes and obesity at bay."

See:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592

================================================== ==

New diabetes breakthrough 'bigger than the discovery of insulin':

"There's no known cure for Type 1 diabetes, so for 3 million Americans, an insulin pump
or regular insulin injections form an imperfect and temporary solution. And it's one that
doesn't always keep some of the disease's worst outcomes, including blindness and
limb amputation, at bay.

Scientists have long sought a better solution, and a team at Harvard is now
announcing that, 15 years into its research, it has successfully coaxed human
embryonic stem cells into ones that produce insulin.

When those cells were transferred to diabetic mice, they behaved as healthy cells do
and regulated blood sugar. "We can cure their diabetes right away—in less than 10
days," researcher Doug Melton tells NPR.

Six months later, that was still the case, reports CBS News, which calls the research
possibly "the biggest breakthrough in years toward a cure." Because while scientists
have been able to achieve a similar end with insulin-producing cells sourced from
cadavers, they've struggled with how to get the quantity they needed."

See:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/1...overy-insulin/