AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-28, 18:02   Link #101
solomon

Well I can admit that I got turned onto the show.

But if you call me a damn furry I'll drag you behind the toolshed!

Anyways, It's............pleasant. Frankly, there isn't MUCH too the show at all. It's just a decently done kids show. It's a little PBSish, but it's cute while not being saccharine. Nice thing to relax after a hard days to.

That being said, I still don't really get the intense fandom beyond the show beyond the fact of...........they're nerds.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 18:57   Link #102
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The fandom is certainly pretty creative... this was the video that caused me to give the series a chance at all:

From whatever perspective you see it. This was very well done. It doesnt matter, what you use, as long you make something great. I havent looked into that series, yet.
Old 2012-01-29, 00:10   Link #103
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
That being said, I still don't really get the intense fandom beyond the show beyond the fact of...........they're nerds.
The U.S. is finally embracing their version of moe?
Old 2012-01-29, 01:50   Link #104
Kyouka
Is Here

i been looking for this thread for years and i found it!
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 22:33   Link #105
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

aaaand

(the one on the right is a friend's OC)
Old 2012-02-11, 12:51   Link #106
Kyouka
Is Here

awesome pic!
Old 2012-02-11, 13:15   Link #107
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I wonder if MLP will become America's answer to Touhou? Granted, I am not a fan of MLP and the creator isn't a drunkard but still.
Old 2012-02-11, 13:35   Link #108
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
The U.S. is finally embracing their version of moe?
This.
For exemple this scene always makes me HHHHNNNNNGGGGGG

Hell the first 3 saimoe winner are from shoujos so the original demographic for those shows was female and just had a large male following as well.

I'm pretty sure if you told the avereage westerner that adult men watch this in japan they'd have the same reaction as learning grown ups watch MLP
Old 2012-02-12, 04:05   Link #109
warita
Dai-Youkai

Hmmm, I have never watched this, prolly because I dont have cartoon network and not many channels air cartoons for kids these days anyways.

But as for the question why some adults get hooked on something aimed at kids.... well, it reminds me of the tele tubies hype 10 years ago.

I am a quite down to earth person and I never allow myself to get carried away with things, just because everybody else is doing it. But I think there is an element of that in the teletubies hype. The teletubies were such a stupid and horrendeous show, that adults started watching it just to see how horrible it can get and before they knew it, they got caught in the craze the show created. Everywhere you went, people were immitating teletubbies, especially at drinking parties. In other words, it became a fashionable thing to watch teletubies, because look, everybody else does is and when you are drunk, it is soooooo funny to immitate the show.

Of course I questioned it back then. How can people hype themselves up with something this idiotic? And then it ocurred to me, that sometimes people dont want to be mature and talk about heavy subjects such as politics and sense in life. Sometimes people want to be just silly..... and nonsense like this offers this opportunity.

PS: Does it make me weird when I say there was a time I really liked watching sponge bob?
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 10:47   Link #110
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Same reason grown boys watch Inuyasha when its CLEARLY a girl anime I guess.

Oh and please don't compare this show to Sponge bob. its no where near the same. MLP is more of a Invader Zim show. which was made for kids but accidently made for mature teens and up.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:35   Link #111
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Same reason grown boys watch Inuyasha when its CLEARLY a girl anime I guess.

Oh and please don't compare this show to Sponge bob. its no where near the same. MLP is more of a Invader Zim show. which was made for kids but accidently made for mature teens and up.
Now like I said I havent watched MLP, but let me express my doubts about it being "accidentally" made for teens and grown ups. It is a kiddy show with colorful likeable characters, that speak about friendship, love and cannabis half the time.

I get that people see something in it.... it may have a certain entertainment factor I am not capable of assessing, since I havent seen it and people might be interpretting a deeper meaning into it than intended by the makers.... but I dont see how this show is so much better and deeper than sponge bob.

Sponge bob, a kiddy show it might be, was comfort food for me. It made me feel good and kept me entertained..... so this compares to MLP, although it is not the same, I agree.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 12:48   Link #112
Kirarakim

MLP is not on cartoon network it airs on the HUB but I expect most people watch it the same way as me on YouTube. All the episodes are there, seems HASBRO cares more about the toy line then if some adults are watching the show Online.

And yes MLP is a kids show & no it isn't the most complex thing ever but it doesn't just rely on stupid humor & being cute like so many other kids shows. It has well written stories & characters that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. In fact I can't think of a currently airing American show that has better written female characters.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:50   Link #113
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I never even layed eyes on a single episode. But I can tell that it can affect people of all ages (someone from my school was taught the values of "insert MLP things"). You can even see multiple people online saying they are a brony and etc.
Old 2012-02-16, 19:55   Link #114
Slayerx

Spoiler for common reaction to My Little Pony:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Now like I said I havent watched MLP, but let me express my doubts about it being "accidentally" made for teens and grown ups. It is a kiddy show with colorful likeable characters, that speak about friendship, love and cannabis half the time.
“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
― C.S. Lewis

"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond"
― C.S. Lewis

no it was not "accidentally" made for teens and Adults.
Pixar movies, disney movies, Looney Tunes, and hell many anime and manga that are meant for a child audience find themselves being popular with all audiences. The creator of the show, Lauren Faust, is essentially one of those writers/animators that understands that a show does not need to be limited to its demographic, that it is possible to appeal to wide audience (though even she did not expect this level of positive feedback). She loved the toys when she was young, but hated the previous tv shows because they were dull. Instead of stereotyping girls, she approaches the show in the same manner she would any other show. She created a diverse cast of characters that all play off well against eachother. The writing and dialouge of each episode is chock full of good humor that anyone of any age could find funny, and the animation for the series is top-notch flash animation that does well to deliver well timed physical comedy. Not to mention they also come up with some genuinely catchy songs. Essentially, thanks to the writers behind the series, I would sooner compare this series to Animaniacs rather than compare it to previous MLP's... hell the only times the talk of friendship gets cheesy is in the very last minute or two of the episode. The circumstances that lead up to that lesson however are just pure simple fun.

Really, you can look up the episodes for yourself... they're pretty easy to find online

And now... some pony related anime
Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-16, 20:03   Link #115
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler for common reaction to My Little Pony:

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
― C.S. Lewis

"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond"
― C.S. Lewis
Well I'll just add my favorite:
" When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
― C.S. Lewis
Old 2012-02-16, 23:56   Link #116
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Ah, I was just sayin how i saw it lol, I guess I was wrong. what ever....
Old 2012-02-17, 04:14   Link #117
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

While finding more MLP/anime openings, I stumbled across these:

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 08:52   Link #118
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

It seems C.S. Lewis is a pretty smart fella. He should write a book. I'd read it.

Endless "Reader" Soul
Old 2012-02-17, 12:12   Link #119
Kyouka
Is Here

Old 2012-02-17, 15:39   Link #120
solomon

Now let's be clear here.

There is nothing wrong with the Ponies, but I hardly see any real "depth" or extra layers to the show. Not like the 90s WB TV toons at anyrate.

MLP:FIM is an all around well made cartoon, it's not written as if children are idiots nor comes off as a half hour toy commercial like it's ancestors. In that sense it reminds me a little of Disney's early TV output from the 80s (Ducktales, Gummi Bears and such) it's hardly high art, nor is it brimming with nuance but well done for what it is.

I guess one thing that affects some bewilderness at the show's wide appeal is that the bar was set so high with animation gleefully targeting dad as well as the tykes with in the same timeslot, that something like this seems like it's retroceeding with a lack of "overt" appealing towards adults.

Then again, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Powerpuff Girls wasn't as wink wink nudge nudge like some of the aformentioned Warner Toons yet it had a wide age appeal and it shares a lot of the same staff as MLP:FIM!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
my little pony