AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-02-07, 17:39   Link #321
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Indeed, or, as with Knights, make it take place at some point in the distant past. The universe Star Wars created is, honestly, the strongest aspect of the franchise and capable of producing a greater story than the original trilogy.
Yeah, I think one of the weaknesses of the prequels was that they were shackled by using characters that appear a lot in the original trilogy, and also because they had to end in a certain way in order to tie things together with the original trilogy. If you have Luke, Han or Leia appearing in major parts, it's only going to restrict where they can go with the plot.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 18:03   Link #322
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The trilogies are still suppose to be based on the Skywalkers at this point. Thus you have a generational thing going on. If it is set to the age of the actors, that means that the story would take place 40 or so years after the Battle of Yavin. Luke would be the old Jedi Master that need not be in more than one film if the story is to revolve around the next generation of the family (more than likely a Solo daughter, though a Skywalker son is not out of the question). Han and Leia are nearing the age where they become either elderly statesmen or old general material (or old spacer in Solo's case). They might not be of much use in the story save as perhaps old leaders, mentors, or parents.

The only two characters that probably are absolutely required to be in the story are C-3PO and R2-D2. They are sort of our window into the tale.
Old 2013-02-11, 21:28   Link #323
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I step away from the Internet for a few days and, lo and behold, a whole slew of Star Wars-related news turns up to greet me when I return.

With the announcement that Disney is going to put out stand-alone movies that focus on (young) Han Solo, Boba Fett, and Yoda the first thought that springs to mind is that they're going to over-saturate the market. Really, is there a need to explore these characters in more detail? I don't think so. They would be better off focusing on as-yet-unexplored side characters, or even, *gasp* do something original. I realize that the idea of something new and original can be upsetting to some dire hard fans--and that is somewhat to be expected after Jar Jar--but I think there is great potential regarding originality. There is a limit to how many times people are interested in seeing/hearing the same story.

The Star Wars universe is so vast and full of potential that this move seems like an obvious cash-grab to me which is rather disappointing. First we hear that Abrams is (surprise, surprise) not likely to stick to the previously announced 2015 release date for Episode VII. Now it's this.

Also, if anyone is interested /Film has a nice and succinct article about what might be expected from the Han Solo stand-alone film.
Old 2013-02-16, 15:41   Link #324
kyp275
Meh

Well, looks like those who's hoping no characters from the original trilogy will appear can start weeping:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013021...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 17:32   Link #325
Xagzan

I don't mind that at all. I just don't want the spinoff films to also be about them.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 23:09   Link #326
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
So they're either expecting that the technology used in Benjamin Button is significantly more advanced in the next few years or they're intending to place the story in at least 30 ABY or later...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 01:05   Link #327
kyp275
Meh

Heh, maybe we'll get some Han Solo pwning stormtroopers while using a cane scene
Old 2013-02-17, 01:54   Link #328
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Did they promise him that Han dies this time around? he had a problem with him not dying in Return of the Jedi.
Old 2013-02-17, 04:24   Link #329
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Well, looks like those who's hoping no characters from the original trilogy will appear can start weeping:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013021...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp
Ford is one of the original actors who is still actively working as an actor. So it makes sense to use him over, say, Mark Hamill who hasn't acted much since.
Old 2013-02-17, 11:57   Link #330
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Ford is one of the original actors who is still actively working as an actor. So it makes sense to use him over, say, Mark Hamill who hasn't acted much since.
Indeed, though this does raise the question of what will they do with Luke and Leia.... I don't think getting Hamill or Fisher to reprise their role would be a good idea, but I'm also not sure about the prospect of using some other actors while Ford himself is returning...
Old 2013-02-17, 12:23   Link #331
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Indeed, though this does raise the question of what will they do with Luke and Leia.... I don't think getting Hamill or Fisher to reprise their role would be a good idea, but I'm also not sure about the prospect of using some other actors while Ford himself is returning...
It's a big universe. It is entire possible for the likes of Luke and Leia to still be alive somewhere yet be not involved with whatever the films would be about. You don't need all of them to come back physically on screen.
Old 2013-02-17, 15:52   Link #332
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
The obvious answer would be to focus on the aliens around them then. Those can be brought back easily.

Having said that, we have no idea how heavy his role will be. If it is "general Solo sitting in his chair giving out orders" then the focus can still be on a new cast. To compare, in the last Star Trek movie Leonard Nimoy returned as Spock, but his role was comparatively short.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 18:46   Link #333
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Mark Hamill is still pretty active as voice actor, but TBT he never was on the level of acting of Harrison Ford (not that you need that level to be part of an Star Wars flick).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 22:21   Link #334
AnimeFan188

Mark Hamill hopes the new ‘Star Wars’ will ‘lighten up and go retro’:

"First thing's first: Yes, Mark Hamill has been approached to reprise his role as Luke
Skywalker in "Star Wars: Episode VII." But as with anything else involving what's
arguably the most highly anticipated sequel since, well, "Star Wars: Episode I" (and
that was a prequel, mind you), nothing's official just yet.

"They're talking to us," said the 61-year-old Hamill in a recent interview with
Entertainment Tonight. "George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be
interested. He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another
actor in our parts -- they would write us out."

Hamill is most definitely interested, but there's been no paperwork to fill out yet --
or even an official meeting with the "Star Wars" producing team."

See:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...181754489.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 22:41   Link #335
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You know...At the point they are at in the EU novels for the Heroes of Yavin....Mark Hamill is the correct age to play Luke Skywalker. They are presently around 45 years affter Yavin and Luke was 18 years old back then. By the time of filming Episode VII starts, Mark will be probably 62 or 63 years old. Even though he was like 23 years old when he first played Luke.

As for retro. A swashbuckler Space Opera film in the 1930s tradition but with modern CGI and other effects would be pretty nice. Like the original films was...after it was editted together.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:06   Link #336
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be
interested. He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another
actor in our parts -- they would write us out."
That's reassuring. This means 1. Disney is being reasonable and won't force Luke Skywalker into the story at any cost. and 2. It is likely even if he is in the plot, that he isn't the main driving force. So even if Hamill is hired, he wouldn't be blocking the screen time of new characters.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:29   Link #337
willx
Nyaaan~~

Will Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher Return for the New Star Wars Films?

Harrison Ford has already said he's interested in reprising his role as Han Solo in the upcoming Star Wars Episode VII, and now his Star Wars co-stars Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are looking to revive their characters Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia as well, according to reports.
Hamill tells Entertainment Tonight they've been approached by George Lucas about returning for the upcoming film, though no contracts have been signed. Lucas assured the actors that if they didn't want to participate, their characters would be written out of the film rather than recast, he added.
In talking with Lucas, Hamill told ET he'd prefer that the new trilogy revisit the "carefree and lighthearted and humorous" tone of the original, and that he wouldn't commit to the project unless more of his former castmates did.

"Are we going to have the whole gang back?" Hamill said. "Is Carrie and Harrison and Billy Dee and Tony Daniels, everybody that's around from the original [returning]? I want to make sure that everybody's on board here, rather than just one."
Hamill said he knows nothing about the plot of Episode VII, but wondered if it may revolve around Luke Skywalker's children.
"It's all very, very exciting and so unexpected," Hamill tells Entertainment Tonight. "It's like getting a pair of pants out of the closet you haven't worn in three years and finding a $20 bill in the pocket. It's just so unexpected."

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/mark-hamill...140500285.html
Old 2013-02-23, 16:53   Link #338
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

In other news, anyone else finding the decidedly darker tone of the Clone Wars over this last arc leading up to next week's finale great?

Loving the Fugitive references and all the grimness as they throw in teasers for the upcoming "mature" Starwars game, Level 1313.

If they have the balls to cap it all off with Asoka not managing to clear her name and being executed in front of Anakin...oh boy. That would be great. Especially since Baris was alive when order 66 occurred, and she's-by far-the most likely culprit behind manipulating Asoka to her doom, which increases the chances she gets away with it, and well....let's face it, Asoka wasn't around for the movies, so they do need to find a way to get rid of her, and this would be a fantastic way of doing it, with how it'd continue to shape Anakin's anger.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 17:20   Link #339
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Asoka will likely die at some point during the Clone Wars series. It is not a sure think it will be the end of this season (next week). The darker tone is consistant with showing how the Republic went from having the Jedi as the guardians of peace and justice, to embracing the Galactic Empire and shunning the Jedi by Revenge of the Sith.

If her death is now, than Anakin can drift farther into darkness sooner (which might fit the presently unaired Clovis arc seen in the Season 5 trailers, with a angry looking Anakin using Force Choke on people). However I had a thought. In Revenge of the Sith there was a deleted scene of General Grievous executing Shak'ti in front of Anakin and Obi-wan. This in now considered non-canon as they reserved Shak'ti's death for some other later time. However they could rework it so that it becomes a hologram transmittion of Grievious...executing Asoka (same species). Especially since they've spent so much effort in the Clone Wars to keep Anakin and Grievious from meeting until they arrive on the bridge in Revenge of the Sith. Also it take away just one more anchor just before Anakin's fall begins. Though him not being despressed or angry about it later would seem odd.
Old 2013-02-23, 17:33   Link #340
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Asoka will likely die at some point during the Clone Wars series. It is not a sure think it will be the end of this season (next week).
Normally I'd assume she's going to be vindicated, though if so, it would not be a clean affair, as presumably Baris manages to avoid blame. The showdown between Anakin and Ventress in the preview would suggest he acquires info that, at least, makes the whole thing seem like a cover-up. Or, they could be doing the sad act of pinning the blame on Ventress, allowing Asoka to be freed, all the while Asoka's continued attempts to make everyone believe her falling on deaf ears, and thus setting the stage for Asoka to become disillusioned over the rest of the series, to eventually walking out on the war and the Jedi by the time the series ends for good (which would allow the directors to get away with not killing her in cold blood for the younger crowd).

Plus, Asoka is almost the main character of the series (while one might call it an ensemble cast, her pov tends to override many other characters'-including Anakin, something that used to annoy me when she was younger, and while she's still not my favorite jedi ever, her slowly growing up has made me less hostile) so I've always kind of assumed her fate would be saved for the very last episode (or near it), and I believe they've already confirmed there will be a season 6.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think it likely Asoka avoids execution next week, but it'd be quite the bold move for them to kill her instead. The cynic in me has assumed from day one that Asoka somehow becomes a hermit and rides off into the sunset, due to the age group I used to think the show is aimed at, but these days I'm thinking it might actually be possible that she's killed off by the time the series ends.

Oh, and again, pleasant surprise that the tone of the show can do 180 spins from their cutesy episodes earlier in this season (to be fair, the show has done this throughout its entire run, wildly swinging between Jar Jar Binks level of maturity and Death Star level, but this arc has been a gem, which makes me confused at my once rigid assumption that the show was meant for six year olds ).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars