AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-02-07, 23:36   Link #5581
sword.impulse
*Insert something clever*

alright, probably going to order tonight. thanks for everything.
sword.impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 09:09   Link #5582
Shiro-Oh!
Previously Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamknight87 View Post
What I have heard is that the battery runs down very quickly and at least I have seen the tutorial of dannychoo for converting the LED to have its power source on a USB but I'm not sure if I will try to do something like that any soon...
Sounds interesting. If you don't mind, can you link me to that? Thanks.
Shiro-Oh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 11:51   Link #5583
beamknight87
Gold Saint

Sure, no prob.

Here is it:
http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/...red+PG+Gundam/

Maybe the only problem is knowing the voltage that the LED can resist, but if you took even an electricity course in high-school, it should be enough to do the rest of the stuff jojo
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 17:30   Link #5584
Shiro-Oh!
Previously Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamknight87 View Post
Sure, no prob.

Here is it:
http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/...red+PG+Gundam/

Maybe the only problem is knowing the voltage that the LED can resist, but if you took even an electricity course in high-school, it should be enough to do the rest of the stuff jojo
Thank you very much!

Looks like I gotta refresh my memory about those stuff; I did took a class like that back in high school.

Thanks again! =)
Old 2008-02-08, 22:25   Link #5585
beamknight87
Gold Saint

wiii, so happy, passed by the store and they had the PG Skygrasper I requested. 60 CAN bucks was a little ouch to my wallet for it but having finally all the parts for the Strike to look completely badass is worth it.

Now I'm just missing my Unicorn... damn it, although that gatling-gun/shield thing of the MG Strike IWSP started to really attract my attention lol
Old 2008-02-08, 22:30   Link #5586
Mr Chow
YO! Where's the food at?
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Mr Chow
I live in New Zealand; and buying most Bandai products can be expensive! The PG range usually go for around the 400.00+ mark!! So I more often than not buy mine from a friend in Hong Kong for around 320.00 (NZ) this includes the Strike, Skygrasper+Aile Strike combo. I found this model to be a bigger version of the MG type and not that difficult to assemble, and found painting these a joy. And like you I wish I could get a Zaku to complete my set. But sadly the pink version doesn't go with my eyes; so I doin't think I will be getting it anytime soon... Peace
Mr Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 00:59   Link #5587
Sciel
Etoilé

Just finished building my 1/100 Exia .
The quality is indeed very good and as most people have already said is near MG quality . Very good poseability and lots of detail .

I've only got 2 complaints :

1) Why did they have to use stickers for some of the parts (V-Fin , Skirt) instead of just providing small plastic pieces . For people who don't paint (Like me !) its sorta a pain as the stickers look out of place / don't blend well with the model.

2) My Exia's right leg (the start of the leg) seems to have a loose joint . No biggy tho as it can be easily fixed.

Most probably gonna get Dynames and Kyrious soon .

Last edited by Sciel; 2008-02-09 at 01:11.
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 02:13   Link #5588
ozone_yoshikawa

I got a couple of kits.

The Shenlong took the longest to complete. I got about 20 solid hours into it.

The other kits took about a saturday each.

ozone_yoshikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 03:10   Link #5589
aikming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Just finished building my 1/100 Exia .
The quality is indeed very good and as most people have already said is near MG quality . Very good poseability and lots of detail .

I've only got 2 complaints :

1) Why did they have to use stickers for some of the parts (V-Fin , Skirt) instead of just providing small plastic pieces . For people who don't paint (Like me !) its sorta a pain as the stickers look out of place / don't blend well with the model.

Because it's not an MG.
Old 2008-02-09, 03:16   Link #5590
Sciel
Etoilé

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikming View Post
Because it's not an MG.
That's blatantly obvious is it not ?
Old 2008-02-09, 06:41   Link #5591
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
That's blatantly obvious is it not ?
duh!!!

lol
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 09:18   Link #5592
lanzer

If you're doing re-wiring, might want to consider switching the LED to a brighter one too. The packaged LEDs are much dimmer to conserve battery power. Just drop by the local electronic parts store and look for a 5V LED with intensity of 5000 mcd or higher rating. You can also consider getting a white LED then color the clear plastic piece between the eyes and tip of the head with different colors!

Example:
http://flickr.com/photos/12698178@N0...7601872440042/

I ended up coloring mine with blue on top and orange for the eyes. Easy mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Ace View Post
Thank you very much!

Looks like I gotta refresh my memory about those stuff; I did took a class like that back in high school.

Thanks again! =)
lanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 11:27   Link #5593
theOtherGuy
Newbie Member

@ozone_yoshikawa

IMO, you went a little overboard with the panel lining?
theOtherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 14:57   Link #5594
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOtherGuy View Post
@ozone_yoshikawa

IMO, you went a little overboard with the panel lining?
ya, and doesnt look like he used a thin marker to outline it
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 21:48   Link #5595
Mister Mister
Redshirt

Why Hello There.

I've always had a fondness for the various Gundam series, but I've never actually collected any scale model kits before now. However, I feel like starting the hobby of collecting kits now, and I want some advice.

I think I'm going to pick up a Master Grade RX-78-2 Gundam, because it's the first Gundam I was introduced to. What I'd like is a guide to painting and inking model kits, as I want to do it justice when I get it. can anyone help me with this?
Mister Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 22:51   Link #5596
beamknight87
Gold Saint

There are plenty of tutorials out there in the web that go from really simple techniques (panel lining) to even more complex ones (battle damage effects). The ones of fitchenfoo and dannychoo are quite useful.

Personally, I'm also still in the novice department concerning model kits and I don't input that much technique yet (hell, I don't even have an airbrush). What I do is:
1.- Paint the runners directly from the box according to their colors with spray cans, except for those pieces that compose the inner frame and are never seen -_- lol.
2.- Cut the pieces with a nipper and do some sanding if necessary.
3.- Apply another layer of paint to mask the detail of cut off/sanded plastic.
4.- Follow the instructive, build each part one by one (body, head, arms, etc).
5.- Once you have each part assembled, do the panel lining, what I use is Chinese ink and a very fine pen. I find this ink awesome, since if you screw up and kinda "stain" the kit, you can just wait less than a minute to let it dry and rub it off with the tip of the pen the solid excess of ink (remember to wash the pen immediately or else the ink will literally crumble the tip of the pen after several use. I lost 2 of them that way >_<)
6.- Apply the decals/stickers/waterslides (the last ones are a real pain), these are the ones you don't wanna screw up with since they add a more realistic detail so be careful there.
7.- There might be a couple of details in which you will have to recur to handpainting. It's a pain but not impossible. I use acrylics thinned in a ratio of 50:50. Any acrylics are fine, but I have experimented with a good deal of them and I can say the Tamiya ones have one of the best qualities out there. Just use a fine brush, apply a thin coat, let it dry and repeat until you get the desired result.
8- Finally, assembly everything, come up with a cool pose and you're done!

Even if its simple, the final results look great to me, I think that's probably the self-satisfaction everyone feels after spending some time with such a hobby jojo.

I still don't own an RX-78-2, even if it's one of the kits that has a good deal of MG versions, but I think is a very basic model to start with.

P.D. Couldn't resist and got that MG Strike IWSP, the shield/gatling gun is damn sexy. Think I will customize the colors a little bit to make it more "unique" and not just only another Strike Gundam.
Old 2008-02-10, 06:43   Link #5597
Sciel
Etoilé

Just got my 1/100 Dynames and a White action stand to go along with it . Now just need time to build it
Old 2008-02-10, 16:07   Link #5598
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Looks to be an 1/100 Akatsuki sized box. But I woder if this will be thicker considering the amount of parts need to build Virtue on top of Nadleeh.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 03:50   Link #5599
sword.impulse
*Insert something clever*

lanzer, yours is freakin sick. is that done with airbrush?
sword.impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 09:43   Link #5600
Shiro-Oh!
Previously Unknown

Throne Eins is up!

http://2nd.geocities.jp/lifezoids2/HGOO-09.htm

Schweeeeet! =)

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy