AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-01-09, 20:41   Link #3821
Eeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Ah yes, I remember something about apples and bananas. Or was it peaches? Eh, some fruit. Thing is, the phrasing threw me off a little.
"Trowa Phobos (No Name) and Catherine Bloom undergo training as mobile suit pilots."
It sounds like both of them were training to become pilots. And considering how messed up the characterizations and story are and how Catherine is present during the battles (I think she's on "Shorfok2"?), I wouldn't put it past Sumizawa.
I could never think that Cathy Bloom would ever become an MS pilot or a trainer simply because she hated war so much during the series... so thanks a lot for this 180 character turnaround Sumizawa!

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 09:37   Link #3822
DuoRanger
Banned

i think that is impossible to terraform a planet like mars in a few years

I'll take Doom as example, Even with a half century the Humans and the UAC didn't managed to terraform a planet Like mars, bcuz the ambient is harsh + The Dust Storms and the Air is Deadly, it takes centuries to terraform a planet like that, and Wingverse technology isn't that OMG W40k, UC, Btech like tech to terraform a planet in a few years

and this thing about Catherine "I hate Wars and Mechs" Bloom becoming a MS instructor and Phobos trainer is hard to belive.

Last edited by DuoRanger; 2012-01-10 at 12:03.
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 11:10   Link #3823
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Yes, but you have to consider the situation on Mars at that time... they're trying to stop the violence that's progressing so it's only natural for her to undergo training.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 12:48   Link #3824
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

do we have some info about "terraform mars". is it as green and blue as earth or it just vast desert with HUB city?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 12:52   Link #3825
Mareike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
i think that is impossible to terraform a planet like mars in a few years

I'll take Doom as example, Even with a half century the Humans and the UAC didn't managed to terraform a planet Like mars, bcuz the ambient is harsh + The Dust Storms and the Air is Deadly, it takes centuries to terraform a planet like that, and Wingverse technology isn't that OMG W40k, UC, Btech like tech to terraform a planet in a few years
Agreed. Mars is an extremely harsh planet, and it's going to take a lot of years and resources to fully terraform it (if it were even possible to begin with). They need to fix the atmosphere, need to get water flowing (probably melt the ice caps) among many other things. But prior to Mars, they've already built a number of artificial colonies, so in a way, I suppose they already had the basic stuff mapped out on how to deal with the planet. Add to the equation the accidental algae spill.

...besides. This is Sumizawa we're talking about.

Quote:
and this thing about Catherine "I hate Wars and Mechs" Bloom becoming a MS instructor and Phobos trainer is hard to belive.
Like what Deacon said. Her experiences and Trowa's during the war and the current need must have influenced the change in her. And if you think that's contradictory (I don't), just look at Noin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW
do we have some info about "terraform mars". is it as green and blue as earth or it just vast desert with HUB city?
Would like to know, too. I'm imagining that they live in some kind of protected complexes what with Mars' terrible climate and all.
Mareike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 16:39   Link #3826
DuoRanger
Banned

About the Terraforming question

Quote:
taken from Sarna(Battletech Wiki)
Environmental engineering
During prosperous eras of colonization, entrepreneurs employed jumpships to transport ice bergs from water-rich planets to arid colony worlds. Colonies dependent on this ice trade prospered while it continued, but little true terraforming was accomplished in this way and the colonies tended to wither when the trade was interrupted by wars. The practice was largely abandoned in the 27th century due to advances in water purification.[4]

Terraforming, the process of adapting an inhospitable planetary environment into one suitable for human occupation, occurs with varying degrees of success through BattleTech history. Terran engineers mounted repeated attempts over the course of centuries to moderate the dense and acidic atmosphere of Venus, succeeding enough to allow limited surface colonization under protective domes.
Quote:
Mars in W40k

Mars had a fully terraformed atmosphere and ecosystems very similar to that of ancient Terra during the Dark Age of Technology, but the constant warfare of the Age of Strife destroyed the world's manufactured oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere and restored the Red Planet's surface to its primordial desert state, absent surface water and breathable oxygen. The only inhabitable regions of the planet are now the Adeptus Mechanicus' hive cities.
seeing that even Mechwarrior verse and W40k still had problems with Terraforming
Old 2012-01-10, 23:06   Link #3827
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
This is from one of the earlier chapters:

Spoiler:
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 06:17   Link #3828
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

that was....confusing

this what i understand.

1. there is some colonization in mars before MC.
2. the place is basically large desert with dozen of lake and (maybe?) safe air. it seem it still dome/hub bsaed
3. Europan algae contain Jupiter moss
4. Moss need ice water and sunlight to breading fast.

but there is several absurd point. how the hell moss breading when there are in underground? why MO-VII let sunlight to reach the algae? how can plankton outbreak can make satellite crash?

i am not even including several (somehow that explained) point like afforestation.

this one is so mess up

Old 2012-01-11, 12:22   Link #3829
Eeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareike View Post
Like what Deacon said. Her experiences and Trowa's during the war and the current need must have influenced the change in her. And if you think that's contradictory (I don't), just look at Noin.
Noin was always involved in the war, being a military instructor. Cahy knew and saw a very violent war going on around her, heck, she's a war orphan because of it. If she wasn't involved in the wars when she was younger, why start now? It doesn't make sense, but whatever.

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old 2012-01-11, 12:48   Link #3830
DuoRanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
that was....confusing

this what i understand.

1. there is some colonization in mars before MC.
2. the place is basically large desert with dozen of lake and (maybe?) safe air. it seem it still dome/hub bsaed
3. Europan algae contain Jupiter moss
4. Moss need ice water and sunlight to breading fast.

but there is several absurd point. how the hell moss breading when there are in underground? why MO-VII let sunlight to reach the algae? how can plankton outbreak can make satellite crash?

i am not even including several (somehow that explained) point like afforestation.

this one is so mess up
Better saying, He ripoff or pulled out a Red Planet plot about mars terraforming
(now who is Val Kilmer and Carrie Anne Moss in this plot?)

but who cares?
Old 2012-01-11, 17:51   Link #3831
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
Noin was always involved in the war, being a military instructor. Cahy knew and saw a very violent war going on around her, heck, she's a war orphan because of it. If she wasn't involved in the wars when she was younger, why start now? It doesn't make sense, but whatever.
Agreed. You could justify how things panned out for Duo to an extent, but Cathy getting involved in war does seem like a stretch.
Old 2012-01-11, 22:40   Link #3832
Mareike

Quote:
No, my point with citing Noin as an example is that she disliked war, too. From the very start, she's never been fond of fighting yet she does it because she has to.

Cathy may have felt that she had to be involved. According to Sumizawa anyway.
Old 2012-01-11, 22:59   Link #3833
Eeni

Quote:
No, my point with citing Noin as an example is that she disliked war, too. From the very start, she's never been fond of fighting yet she does it because she has to.

Cathy may have felt that she had to be involved. According to Sumizawa anyway.
According to Sumizawa, Traize's mother kissed him like she would a lover, a resource satellite belonging to Quatre mysteriously had 4 gundams (you'd think he would know what was in his possession), and it seems like Noin and Zechs are on opposite sides of this struggle that I can't seem to understand why it even started.

Besides, Noin didn't dislike war, she just thought that people who died during battles were not well prepared/ trained correctly. And anyways, she fought because:
1- she wanted revenge for Lake Victoria Base
2- she would follow Zechs ANYWHERE

Old 2012-01-12, 05:32   Link #3834
Mareike

Quote:
According to Sumizawa, Traize's mother kissed him like she would a lover, a resource satellite belonging to Quatre mysteriously had 4 gundams (you'd think he would know what was in his possession), and it seems like Noin and Zechs are on opposite sides of this struggle that I can't seem to understand why it even started.
On Angelina, remember: She's not well in the head. She's been kept from the person she loves: Ein, Treize's father, who Treize looks a lot like. Treize is the closest thing to Ein she's got left. Boom. I know it seems all scandalous and distasteful to a lot of you, but you have to understand where she's coming from. Granted, Sumizawa has made a habit of taking things too far but this is, I have to say, is something that's not too far from happening - even in real life.

As for the last two, agreed, they don't really make sense. Zechs and Noin - what they're up to could just be for show or all I know. *shrugs* I'm not even going to try and figure that one out.

Quote:
Besides, Noin didn't dislike war, she just thought that people who died during battles were not well prepared/ trained correctly. And anyways, she fought because:
1- she wanted revenge for Lake Victoria Base
2- she would follow Zechs ANYWHERE
She did. While en route Lake Victoria, Zechs questions what is behind all the effort she's making when she hated war. Noin responds that she's glad that he remembers, but her efforts are out of love for outer space.

In FT, she had tears in her eyes after their first stint in Mogadishu. When Zechs asked if she was ok or if she was hurt, she said no, she just hated war.

During Operation Daybreak, Zechs warns her that the battle ahead may leave her feeling disturbed afterwards. She responds that she trusts in him; if he thinks it is necessary, then she will fight. Even then, she was shown feeling weary, thinking that there's too much bloodshed for the laying down of the new foundation OZ was establishing.

Also take note that she would try to make the enemy surrender first. And that she always seemed glassy-eyed after a fight.

And Noin didn't want revenge for Lake Victoria Base, no: she wanted to get stronger. She realized the fault in her ideals after her fight with Wufei, and if she doesn't want to lose anymore lives she'll have to learn by being out in the field.

So no, Noin didn't have a one-track mind when it comes to fighting. She may be good at it, but it was not something she reveled in. She only did it to protect others. Because she had to and she can.

Now going back to Cathy... I don't understand why she can't be allowed that change, especially when it's been years since the original story. It's a drastic change, sure but if the reason is sound enough (which we're yet to see), then why not. I don't think her being an MS pilot is something that she just decided out of the blue. I just hope I'm not wrong. xD

Last edited by Mareike; 2012-01-12 at 08:22.
Old 2012-01-13, 06:53   Link #3835
Kitsoru
:3c

Along the lines of what Mareike is saying... I seem to see quite a bit of complaining from fans about anything even remotely resembling character development, and people, c'mon. If characters didn't evolve, for better or worse, it'd make for a pretty boring story.

I agree Cathy in particular is kinda sideeye worthy but depending on the events that've transpired over the break in time since EW, it could be quite understandable that wide-eyed idealism was replaced by realism for any character.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 07:29   Link #3836
susyia

humm yeah i think your right.... Cathy in anime series was kind annoying.... it's good that change of her personality but.... but what about the other characters trowa... quatre they suffer some change ? and wufei in why he treats kathy po in a softy manner?in chapter 9 ??
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 19:18   Link #3837
DuoRanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Along the lines of what Mareike is saying... I seem to see quite a bit of complaining from fans about anything even remotely resembling character development, and people, c'mon. If characters didn't evolve, for better or worse, it'd make for a pretty boring story.

I agree Cathy in particular is kinda sideeye worthy but depending on the events that've transpired over the break in time since EW, it could be quite understandable that wide-eyed idealism was replaced by realism for any character.
it will take a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time until Sumizawa explain how she and relena became MS pilots, what descisions, events and etc.

i mean, what happened to Cat became Phobos Instuctor?
Old 2012-01-14, 19:24   Link #3838
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
About that, who the heck sends his 10-year-old kid off to a war??? I mean, I can understand No-Name fighting from a young age because he grew up with soldiers but what the flying cow is up with Noin joining the army that young? Heck, even Zechs has an excuse, seeing as he had no parents anymore and was out for revenge. But Noin is just

Quote:
On Angelina, remember: She's not well in the head. She's been kept from the person she loves: Ein, Treize's father, who Treize looks a lot like. Treize is the closest thing to Ein she's got left. Boom. I know it seems all scandalous and distasteful to a lot of you, but you have to understand where she's coming from. Granted, Sumizawa has made a habit of taking things too far but this is, I have to say, is something that's not too far from happening - even in real life.
The problem isn't Angelina having a bunch of screws loose. The problem isn't even her going coo-coo because of her dead hubby, what with making out with her son and prancing around naked. No, the problem is that her son is one Treize Khushrenada, Gundam Wing's most badass, noble villain, who deserves anything but this treatment. Van/Vingt was a nice addition; he added to Treize's character and was an interesting character himself. Why couldn't Bella Angelina be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
You got a point there. So far there hasn't been one boring FT chapter. Mostly because of the wtf moments.

Quote:
Yes but Catherine? Her and Sylvia were the only people in the entire female cast who didn't want to fight. Hilde, Sally, Dorothy, Noin, Une and even Relena got to wield weapons. And be pretty badass while doing so. I don't see any reason why it would be Catherine of all people to train Gundam pilots and participate in battles. There are plenty of other opportunities to show off her body. Besides, it doesn't even make sense practically, seeing as the others have way more experience.
I'm not begrudging her her so-called character development, it's just the least likely.

It's also kinda funny, now that I think about it. Usually being a soldier will undoubtedly boost your badassness but with Catherine it sort of backfires due to its discrepancy. It's like with the 13x5 shippers. Wu Fei is a widower and Treize fathered a child. Congratulations folks, you paired the straightest guys in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
it will take a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time until Sumizawa explain how she and relena became MS pilots, what descisions, events and etc.
Relena is not a MS pilot. Which is a shame because that would've been cracktastically awesome. Alas, the Zechs mask was only decoration...

By the way guys, was the FT drama re-released or something? I stumbled upon two more segments on Youtube which pick up where the drama left off. You get to hear Heero and Duo battle Quatrine (no voice for Quatrine though) and some monologue of Heero's about "AC 195 Autumn". Putting aside that the BG is annoying as crap, does anyone know anything about this?
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 14:09   Link #3839
Aldaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
About that,[I]

Yes but Catherine? Her and Sylvia were the only people in the entire female cast who didn't want to fight. Hilde, Sally, Dorothy, Noin, Une and even Relena got to wield weapons. And be pretty badass while doing so. I don't see any reason why it would be Catherine of all people to train Gundam pilots and participate in battles. There are plenty of other opportunities to show off her body. Besides, it doesn't even make sense practically, seeing as the others have way more experience.
I'm not begrudging her her so-called character development, it's just the least likely.

Relena is not a MS pilot. Which is a shame because that would've been cracktastically awesome. Alas, the Zechs mask was only decoration...
Note, Catherine and Sylvia did both have weapons at a point, Katherine's a knife thrower, probably wouldn't want to kill someone but she did nearly put one in Trowa during the series. Sylvia grabbed a gun off of Heero during the episode where he confronted her and in the end didn't shoot him.

As for Relena being a pilot I agree to a point, it would be awesome... But I'd be more afraid at this point if she climbed into a suit for Sumisawa to pull a Lalah Sune, have her just get offed during combat. Currently that's the only way I see her taking the long dirt nap. Because at this point currently, there is no other female lead to take her place.

I have a hunch that we're gearing up for a side switch in the coming chapters, I think that Relena is loosing power within the Mars Federation and we're going to see a flip flop. All the signs are pointing towards it, Quatre, Trowa, Katherine, and Heero all just surrendered according to the last bit in the timeline.

Quote:
Quaterine refuses the call to surrender by Doktor T and the others. Meanwhile, Instructor W pilots the Show White equipped with the Seven Dwarfs Red and Blue (Sieben Zwerg Rote & Blau) fires continuously. The Prometheus experiences operational failure due to the difference in attack. In order to recover the Prometheus, Trowa Phobos launches in the Scheherazade that was secretly being transported.

However, The Shorfok 2 suffers a cease function at the hands of Mille. Heero, Doktor T and Catherine decide to surrender.
Granted it's because of Milou but crazier stuff has happened in Wing...

Also to a few pages back
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
huh isn't that (according to perspective pilot)

Sandrock -> Prometheus

Heavyarms -> Scheherazade
My reasoning behind this is that Scheherazade is a reference to the Arabian Nights stories, its name fits the M.O. of being the new Sandrock. Just because the character succession is there doesn't mean they're tethered to their predecessors machines. And if i remember right wasn't Trowa P. to be the intended pilot of Prometheus, but Katherine stole it...
Aldaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 17:29   Link #3840
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaeus View Post
My reasoning behind this is that Scheherazade is a reference to the Arabian Nights stories, its name fits the M.O. of being the new Sandrock. Just because the character succession is there doesn't mean they're tethered to their predecessors machines. And if i remember right wasn't Trowa P. to be the intended pilot of Prometheus, but Katherine stole it...
yeah that what i am thinking when i read little closer. Prometheus seem have missile launcher which make it closer to heavy arm

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing