AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-02, 07:43   Link #341
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

TSR, is awesome... so many memorable moments of badassery and such.
Old 2008-05-04, 21:03   Link #342
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

oh i see i see, tell me this, happy ending or no? PMing me is fine
Old 2008-05-06, 19:03   Link #343
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Part 4? need more people to buy their toys and manga so they have the cash to make more anime.
Old 2008-05-07, 13:16   Link #344
Urzu-7=Bonta-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by siber222000 View Post
oh i see i see, tell me this, happy ending or no? PMing me is fine
I'm not sure you can call it an ending because the point at which TSR ends is only halfway through the original FMP novel content. Though there are loose ends that aren't tied up, TSR ends on a happy/hopeful note.
Old 2008-05-07, 18:59   Link #345
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You know, the only thing that bothered me in FMP was the American submarine captain. Specifically his "Remember Pearl Harbor" line.

I don't know the full backstory of FMP but there are suppose to be in an alternate 2002 right? If they are using the historical Peral Harbor attack (December 7, 1941) as a reference, that would have been over 60 years earlier. That submarine captain doesn't look anywhere near 60 to even have been alive for that event, much less be bitter about it. FMP Japan looks like it is more or less the same Post-World War II Japan with a JSDF using American style equipment and the US Navy acting like the kings of the seas. Unless there was another (much more recent) Attack on Pearl Harbor, the line makes no real sense to me.

Maybe the "Toy Box" is classifed as a Japanese super sub by the American military? I don't know. The line just doesn't fit right for some reason. But then every once in a while someone will use the line "Remember the Alamo" or 'Remember the Maine" so I guess it could work sometimes.

It just bugs me a little.
Old 2008-05-10, 02:07   Link #346
jerkette
Sore Ga, Ai Deshou! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
First names of the major characters would be Kaname, Sousuke, Kurz, Melissa, Teresa, etc.
but sousuke is calling kaname as chidori.. so, it means, he's formal to kaname, right??..

"Not everything is as it seems."
Old 2008-05-11, 16:56   Link #347
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You know, the only thing that bothered me in FMP was the American submarine captain. Specifically his "Remember Pearl Harbor" line.

I don't know the full backstory of FMP but there are suppose to be in an alternate 2002 right? If they are using the historical Peral Harbor attack (December 7, 1941) as a reference, that would have been over 60 years earlier. That submarine captain doesn't look anywhere near 60 to even have been alive for that event, much less be bitter about it. FMP Japan looks like it is more or less the same Post-World War II Japan with a JSDF using American style equipment and the US Navy acting like the kings of the seas. Unless there was another (much more recent) Attack on Pearl Harbor, the line makes no real sense to me.

Maybe the "Toy Box" is classifed as a Japanese super sub by the American military? I don't know. The line just doesn't fit right for some reason. But then every once in a while someone will use the line "Remember the Alamo" or 'Remember the Maine" so I guess it could work sometimes.

It just bugs me a little.
I'm sure the sub captain was just being overly patriotic, as pearl harbour is a "date which will live in infamy." Animes have a habit of making fun of americans as well.
Old 2008-05-15, 03:32   Link #348
THX

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are plans for another season of full metal panic? For a while there, it seemed like a new season was coming out every 2 years or so, but I haven't heard of anything FMP related for a little while.
Old 2008-05-15, 08:45   Link #349
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are plans for another season of full metal panic? For a while there, it seemed like a new season was coming out every 2 years or so, but I haven't heard of anything FMP related for a little while.
Hi!

Well, there's already a thread for this and you can find it by clicking here.

Anyhow, to answer your question; it is impossible to tell at the moment. Should a new season of FMP be animated it would most probably be a Kyoto Animation production. The first season, Full Metal Panic!, was produced by GONZO and adapted the first 3 main plot novels into anime. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu was produced by Kyoto Animation and it only contained short stories from the side story compilations. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid was also produced by Kyoto Animation and it was the second main story season, adapting the fourth and fifth main plot novels into anime.

So, where do we stand today? 10 main plot novels have been released and even though we thought that the tenth novel was going to be the last... well, let's just say it wasn't true. The next novel will serve as the climax, but as far as I know there might be a 12:th novel to wrap it all up. Anyhow, given what we do know, less than 50% of the FMP main story has been animated so far, so there's a lot material out there to adapt. The problem is that a long arc is introduced in the seventh novel that is darker, better and more serious, and there is no natural point in the story where they could end a third main plot season, unless they intend to return shortly thereafter in order to animate the rest. They won't serve us a cliffhanger and then leave us hanging for several years.

Another problem is that Kyoto Animation is a studio with a busy schedule. Future projects that we know of would be:

Clannad ~After Story~, the second season of Suzumiya Haruhi and the recently announced OVA for Lucky Star. On top of that there are a few titles that "will/should/could" be announced sooner or later, such as Haruhi 3, Little Busters and possibly a Planetarian OVA/movie.

You probably already figured out that I'm not expecting a new season of FMP anytime soon. I do think that there will be one in the future, and if they decide to adapt more of the main plot into anime they will most probably see it through to the end, given the nature of the content. The creator of FMP is a really good friend of KyoAni, and according to some source that I don't remember there are quite many FMP-fans among the KyoAni staff.

So... to answer your question; I do believe there will be one (and in that case there will probably be two), but I don't expect anything to happen until Gatoh has finished the story. Who knows, 2010 might end up being a really good year.
Old 2008-05-27, 15:26   Link #350
DrRad

Question about the ending of FMP Season 1

Spoiler for FMP Season 1 ending:
Old 2008-05-27, 18:57   Link #351
masterwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRad View Post
Question about the ending of FMP Season 1

Spoiler for FMP Season 1 ending:
Spoiler for the ending to the first season:
Old 2008-05-27, 19:26   Link #352
DrRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwok View Post
Spoiler for the ending to the first season:
That is the part that confused me because

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-28, 10:18   Link #353
Tabasco

Exactly.

In the US Navy, particularly the submarine service, 'on patrol' is the designation for killed in action.

All of the submarines and crews lost in World War 2, as well as the two lost during the Cold War, are listed this way.
Old 2008-05-28, 13:31   Link #354
DrRad

Thank you very much.
Old 2008-06-02, 11:19   Link #355
GawainBS

Hello, this is my first post, so bear with me please.

Can someone tell me wether FMP: TSR will be coming out on European Region 2 DVD? I can't find it any where on the net.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2008-06-02, 11:51   Link #356
Miles Teg

I can only respond for France. For now nothing has been announced. If they decide to release TSR I hope they will do a better translation/editing for their subtitle because that was pretty bad by moment, I really regret buying those DVD...
Old 2008-06-02, 11:59   Link #357
GawainBS

I agree, the subbing was quite bad at moments. I had whole parts missing. Even so bad, I started to watch it in English.
Old 2008-06-02, 12:58   Link #358
Miles Teg

The problem probably come from the fact that they have rip the dub to create the sub, instead of doing a translation for the sub.
Old 2008-06-02, 13:24   Link #359
GawainBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
The problem probably come from the fact that they have rip the dub to create the sub, instead of doing a translation for the sub.
I don't understand. My apologies, but English isn't my native tongue.
Old 2008-06-02, 16:19   Link #360
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GawainBS View Post
I don't understand. My apologies, but English isn't my native tongue.
They have (probably) use the translation/adaptation done for the dubbing to make the subtitle instead of making a separate translation/adaptation.

Since most of the time they have to add/remove some of the dialog when doing the dub, in the end you have missing line or text with no dialog in your subtitle.
Closed Thread