AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-03-20, 02:55   Link #2161
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Send a message via MSN to BigSmokeDawg
Quote:
oh yeah, can i ask you guys a favor. WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS FORUM STAYS IN THIS FORUM. could i trust you guys on that?
Of course.

I'd look into getting a new amp first as that will make EVERYTHING sound better. My cheap Les Paul still sounds pretty damn solid on my Vypyr. Stay away from the cheap Marshall MG series (I had an MG10 for my first amp and it sounded so very bad) and I'd say avoid line 6 spiders because they give every guitar the same, electronic tone. Look up the Vypyr 15, the Roland Cube 15/20 and the Vox VT20. They're all under £100 or so (GBP), and you might like them. You don't need extreme amounts of money for a good tone, you just need to know where to look.

I wouldn't even bother trying to run any pedals through your amp as it's still going to sound naff. Plus the Vypyr is very easy to record with, as I stated a few posts ago.

So yeah, go for an Amp and then a Guitar. One of the worst things you can do is cheap out on a bad amp and then get a nice guitar, because the nice guitar will sound sound bad on a cheap amp.

Although that Dean does look pretty damn nice

I really want a job lol, there's so much guitar stuff I want :V
Old 2012-03-20, 03:07   Link #2162
deng17
Sylpheed

Send a message via Yahoo to deng17
@LMB
Oh so that's why I thought that I've heard his cover before.

No problem. I'm not the type to get into affairs that are not mine. Just here to make you feel a little better about yourself.

@BigSmokeDawg
Yeah I borrowed a Jackson from a friend before (the one I used in U&I cover). It's better but not that significant. In fact, it's almost the same. So yeah no matter how good your guitar is, you still need a good setup to get that guitar to sound good.

The problem on my current guitar is its pickups. Palm muting doesn't sound good like before.

I hope I have a friend (in real life) with Zoom G2.1nu so I can test how much it'll improve my current setup so I can weigh better XD
deng17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 05:17   Link #2163
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
Whoa really? I'm away from my house right now, and I forgot my Ipod so I'll take a listen too it when I get home. Which part of the song, and what kind of tribute is it (i.e Solo, Song)? When I went though the OST I remember there was a couple songs that seemed really familiar. This is exciting!
Near the end (last 30 seconds or so) the main riff from Come Together features prominently.

Regarding amps, I own a Line 6 Spider IV and I just got a Roland Cube Monitor. The Spiders do sound very digital, but they have some good distortion tones for metal (the digital-ness gives it quite a bit of bite, interestingly) and they do okay for other stuff--just don't count on having a decent clean channel. All my recordings so far have used the Spider. The Cube is great, just running my Strat through my Zoom G1 and then through that gives a tone I'm very satisfied with.

Other good low cost amps: the Peavey Vypyr 15, as mentioned above. I also feel this amp is geared more towards metal/hard rock types of music but, it feels like a Spider but slightly better. I have a friend who recently bought a Fender Mustang I and I was quite impressed when I tried it. Seems really geared toward providing a good replica of classic rock tones, which is rare for low-end amps.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 05:33   Link #2164
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
oh yeah, can i ask you guys a favor. WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS FORUM STAYS IN THIS FORUM. could i trust you guys on that?
I just wanted to point out that whilst everyone here is more than happy to agree to keeping it under wraps, this forum is publicly searchable... so this conversation is kinda public, lest someone (willingy or unwillingly) stumbles into the last two pages of this thread.

That being said, a little late to be adding to this conversation, but I thought this manga panel sums things up:

Truthfully, I hold respect for very much anyone who can play a musical instrument. (Obnoxious and jerkish people instantly lose my respect, however.)
I kinda wish more people would be more open to differing cultural tastes, be it music, video games, or other media forms (but I probably have no right to say this ).
And always keep a "never say die" attitude- keep doing what you love, and never let others get you down.
(Apologies for butting in.)
Old 2012-03-20, 15:51   Link #2165
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Best thing to do is to get down to a guitar shop and try them out for yourself. I can record some demos from my Vypyr if you'd like me to though, just name some tones you wanna hear and I'll get to it.

^That picture is so bloody true. I have little to no natural talent for anything musical, but I'm slowly getting better after doing 4+ hours of practice a day for a year and a half :V
Old 2012-03-20, 16:42   Link #2166
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
Near the end (last 30 seconds or so) the main riff from Come Together features prominently.

Regarding amps, I own a Line 6 Spider IV and I just got a Roland Cube Monitor. The Spiders do sound very digital, but they have some good distortion tones for metal (the digital-ness gives it quite a bit of bite, interestingly) and they do okay for other stuff--just don't count on having a decent clean channel. All my recordings so far have used the Spider. The Cube is great, just running my Strat through my Zoom G1 and then through that gives a tone I'm very satisfied with.

Other good low cost amps: the Peavey Vypyr 15, as mentioned above. I also feel this amp is geared more towards metal/hard rock types of music but, it feels like a Spider but slightly better. I have a friend who recently bought a Fender Mustang I and I was quite impressed when I tried it. Seems really geared toward providing a good replica of classic rock tones, which is rare for low-end amps.
Okay I can hear it now, its like at 1:17 of the song? The bass line? I couldn't hear it with normal apple headphones, so I pulled out my AKG's so I can hear instrument separation.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 19:17   Link #2167
trenton_dawn
Silt

Yeah, it's the bassline except played on guitar. The solo has some similarity to the Come Together solo as well but perhaps that's just because they're in the same key.

EDIT: by the way, I finally have a scan of the cover for the Movie Official Band Score.
Spoiler for image:

Last edited by trenton_dawn; 2012-03-21 at 02:15.
Old 2012-03-21, 02:31   Link #2168
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

That looks pretty cool I wanna watch the movie to see how they think us Brits act :P

Also Mio's bass strings look kinda weird in the picture haha

I'm also working out Stylish Mistake by ear:

http://soundcloud.com/bsmoked/stylis...ke-lol/s-Wkv8B

I'm tabbing it out as I go along in GP, but I'm flippin' useless at working out this program. If I get the notes done, could someone maybe sort it out so they're all in the right time? I have no idea how to work it haha

It's so much fun learning a song by ear. For some reason it makes you play with more emotion. I guess it's because it makes you have to think more about what notes you're playing.

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2012-03-21 at 18:24.
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 19:53   Link #2169
PeepQ
Peep Worshiper

Send a message via AIM to PeepQ
I look away from this thread for two days and all of a sudden there's a ton of posts lol.

For whoever asked about a decent recording setup, I would say that all you really need is an audio interface. I have a Mackie U.420d and it sounds ok I suppose. I haven't messed around with the settings much and kept all of the EQ level, but that's what I used to record my Singing! cover.

I'm also working on doing a cover of Curry Nichi Rice still, so hopefully I'll get that going.

Sorry for coming out of nowhere also. I use to just lurk here, so hi!
PeepQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 03:05   Link #2170
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I just wanted to point out that whilst everyone here is more than happy to agree to keeping it under wraps, this forum is publicly searchable... so this conversation is kinda public, lest someone (willingy or unwillingly) stumbles into the last two pages of this thread.

That being said, a little late to be adding to this conversation, but I thought this manga panel sums things up:

Truthfully, I hold respect for very much anyone who can play a musical instrument. (Obnoxious and jerkish people instantly lose my respect, however.)
I kinda wish more people would be more open to differing cultural tastes, be it music, video games, or other media forms (but I probably have no right to say this ).
And always keep a "never say die" attitude- keep doing what you love, and never let others get you down.
(Apologies for butting in.)
man, if Sawa-chan said that, i guess i'll go with that. (kinda wish she would pat me too though XDDD).

oh may i ask something. what does it mean when the word 8va is written on top of a group of notes (with -------- to express the group of notes that it covers). any special thing you do with it?
Old 2012-03-22, 07:28   Link #2171
PeepQ
Peep Worshiper

It means you play the notes an octave higher than written.

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdiction...xt1-9/8va.html
Old 2012-03-22, 12:07   Link #2172
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Yeah, I think it's just for the sheet notation, not for the tab.
Old 2012-03-23, 00:57   Link #2173
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

oh ok. i was wondering about this part:

so if you play it an octave higher, then how exactly?

oh yeah, forgot to share this, for like forever. decided to open up a soundcloud account for some reason. so guys, what do you think?

http://soundcloud.com/lightmusicband...ve-on-the-spot

it's an on-the-spot recording, with little time to prepare. let's just say it's my "audition piece" for something.
Old 2012-03-23, 01:48   Link #2174
trenton_dawn
Silt

No, you play the tabs exactly as is. However if you look at the musical score you'll see the notes are displayed an octave lower than they really are.
Old 2012-03-23, 18:57   Link #2175
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Worked it all out by ear (and someone else's cover on youtube :P)

Should I have a go at tabbing it out in GP?
Old 2012-03-27, 05:21   Link #2176
trenton_dawn
Silt

I've been slow on the tabbing recently but at least Unmei wa Endless is done now. The bass part is surprisingly challenging. I'll probably do Ichiban Ippai next.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:23   Link #2177
PeepQ
Peep Worshiper

Awesome thanks!
Old 2012-03-28, 01:02   Link #2178
trenton_dawn
Silt

Oh my god...Ichiban Ippai has infinity parts..
Spoiler for image:
Old 2012-03-28, 02:26   Link #2179
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Spoiler for image:
lol that's Hyakkoku Hajime for ya , I think I can speak for the rest of us, but thank you for putting your hard work and time into this! We appreciate it a TON!!!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 15:29   Link #2180
PeepQ
Peep Worshiper

Quote:
Spoiler for image:
Yea I figured it would with all of those xylo and chime parts and such. It's like they have an orchestra backing them lol.

Also what CaptnAwesome said, thanks so much for doing this!