AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-15, 16:49   Link #301
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So wait, I'm confused. This is a TV series, but being released one episode a month on BD/DVD or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually I was under the impression that this was a movie series first, or at the very least direct-to-DVD/BR given how many people were surprised to find Episode 01 even aired.
Bandai Visual and the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Production Committee are following the same marketing and release strategy as GUNDAM UNICORN, which was considered a success. 26 episodes — released first as 7 theatrical features over the course of one year (just like the voyage to Iscandar and back), with the last film hitting screens on February 16, 2013 — according to PR materials from Studio I.G. As part of the marketing strategy, Hikari TV (think Netflix Streaming/Instant) offered the first episode for viewing, limited to 3,000 applicants, the week of the theatrical release (following a streaming 10min. preview on the Bandai Channel). On the eve of the April 7th release, the first episode was also made available to subscribers of the Family Theater satellite cable network (as booted to YouTube through a Chinese video hosting site).

All of this stimulated talk and generated excitement for the new series, as well as helped to bolster both the theatrical boxoffice and theater-exclusive Blu-ray sales. Each of the seven films will play two weeks in only ten select theaters across Japan — and from Japanese reports, the lines have been long for all of the screenings. The first day in Tokyo was sold out from the first showing in the morning through the last at 9:45 pm. So, we can say, with confidence, that this strategy has paid off very well, and has made YAMATO: 2199 a hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Though it does confirm that the BD version has English subtitles.
All seven volumes, counting 26 episodes, of the BDs will have English Subtitles. And as for Volume 1, I can happily confirm that; as I own one of them.

Additionally, Production I.G is also working on the international marketing and sales.

Last edited by August138; 2012-04-15 at 17:10.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 17:58   Link #302
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

So, these episodes released as theatrical features, are they broken up into separate, easily identifiable episodes? Seems rather confusing.

On a side note, I'd like to see the original Macross given the same upgrade treatment as this series was given.
Old 2012-04-15, 18:24   Link #303
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is an interesting question. The single episode released outside of theaters shows an ending overlay at the end of the pull back of the "sleeping" Yamato, followed by a very episode specific credit sequance.

Does the film version just go right from the pull back into the next "episode"? Or does each episode have individual credits?
Old 2012-04-15, 18:49   Link #304
denshousha

I too wonder how this series should be classified-- as movies, OVAs, or TV series.
In my opinion, they're OVAs. They were designed as episodic and the theatrical releases were so limited (10 theaters). The series won't air on TV until 2013.
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 19:01   Link #305
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denshousha View Post
The series won't air on TV until 2013.
That is legitimately depressing.

Endless "The waiting" Soul
Old 2012-04-15, 19:33   Link #306
denshousha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
That is legitimately depressing.

Endless "The waiting" Soul
Unless you live in Japan, it shouldn't really matter.
The Blu-rays are all that matter to me, and they'll start coming out next month.

Season 1 of the old show hits Japanese Blu-ray in July.
Old 2012-04-15, 19:37   Link #307
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Will the old show on BD have "legitimate" English subtitles as well?
Old 2012-04-15, 19:51   Link #308
denshousha

Quote:
Will the old show on BD have "legitimate" English subtitles as well?
Well, I don't see any mention of them on the official website, so I would doubt it.

Macross: Do You Remember Love is also coming out on Blu-ray. Now there's a title that really needs English subs, considering the legal quagmire that movie is in here in the US.
Old 2012-04-15, 20:28   Link #309
YF19EX

Quote:
That is an interesting question. The single episode released outside of theaters shows an ending overlay at the end of the pull back of the "sleeping" Yamato, followed by a very episode specific credit sequance.

Does the film version just go right from the pull back into the next "episode"? Or does each episode have individual credits?
Quick comment.
I watched Yamato at the Shinjuku Piccadily last night. To answer, at the end of the first ep it cuts right into the second episode. The ending credits runs the full song. Then they run the new opening then the preview for ep3. No Yamato bluray copies available, they were all sold out. But I picked up a movie program. Heck they still do movie programs even for Hollywood movies etc out here.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 20:52   Link #310
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From what I can gather the BD is sold out in all but maybe two theaters now.

A lot of fanart of Pixiv this last week for Yamato.
Old 2012-04-15, 22:47   Link #311
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Well, I don't see any mention of them on the official website, so I would doubt it.

Macross: Do You Remember Love is also coming out on Blu-ray. Now there's a title that really needs English subs, considering the legal quagmire that movie is in here in the US.
I think someone came out with an official dub for the Macross TV show awhile back. They even got the original japanese voice actress to voice Minmei.

She had a very blatant accent, but weirdly it seemed to fit within the context of the show.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 23:01   Link #312
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Yeah, even though Mari Iijima lives here in Los Angeles, and has since the early 90s, she still hasn't really lost her accent.

That official dub is from Harmony Gold. <ptui>

Endless "Kyun kyun" Soul
Old 2012-04-16, 00:15   Link #313
denshousha

I can't seem to find a hometown for 2199 Yuki Mori listed anywhere.
I hope they aren't going where I think they're going with this...

OTOH, Hirata has no hometown listed either.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:20   Link #314
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For Hirata, no clue. For Yuki it might be a plot point. She does look like the woman they found on Mars after all....
Old 2012-04-16, 01:29   Link #315
denshousha

Quote:
For Hirata, no clue. For Yuki it might be a plot point. She does look like the woman they found on Mars after all....
Yep, you're thinking along the same lines I am!

I wonder if they're going to kill off Hirata early on like they did in Yamato III, so they're not bothering to give him much of a background. He's going to be the mentor of a dull job to Yamamoto just like he was to Domon. Apparently he's going to be a paymaster or accountant or something (主計科) this time instead of a cook.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:50   Link #316
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm assuming he's going to be Akira Yamamoto's boss, though she's going to get into the cockpit as a Black Tiger at some point (Domon didn't). I'm going to assume he's going to be sort of background character for anything involving the ship's mess and leave him as a survivor. Sort of like introducing Hijikata and Yamamani early. They existed at the beginning, but were not shown originally because their characters hadn't been created yet. Hirata's backstory in Yamato III put him as an original crew member, yet we'd never seen him before. So I guess the staff decided to keep his backstory and put him on Yamato, even if they don't use him much.

Also, as an interesting side point, placing him on Kirashima...makes him one of the few, if not last known survivors of the Battle of Pluto by Yamato III some four or more years later.

But he might have a different path this time around. This is the show were it is more "who is going to live" rather than "who is going to die". If one looked at the "characters" page on Yamato2199.net and knew the story as it was up to the end of Final Yamato, you would have I think 12 survivors. Maybe 13...depending on if they change one's fate in Yamato II instead of replacing with a "younger, but basically twin sibling" in "Be Forever, Yamato".

The MOVIX宇都宮 theater in Tochigi (栃 木) is the only one left that has BD for sale.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-16 at 02:13. Reason: theater update
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 03:41   Link #317
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
So, these episodes released as theatrical features, are they broken up into separate, easily identifiable episodes? Seems rather confusing.
Not at all; these were produced as half-hour episodes (with an Opening, A Part, B Part, Closing, and Preview). For the first two episodes, the second episode opens where the first episode ends, so it can be edited seamlessly. Personally, I don't see any of this generating any confusion.

Quote:
I too wonder how this series should be classified-- as movies, OVAs, or TV series. In my opinion, they're OVAs. They were designed as episodic and the theatrical releases were so limited (10 theaters). The series won't air on TV until 2013.
These are being released through a major Japanese movie studio, Shochiku, the oldest motion picture company in Japan — so, theatrical, technically. Since the episodes have a mid-break and preview for "next week's episode", it's also a series. OVA? No. Not at all; that's a totally different animal altogether. The Home Video releases aren't officially released until a month after the films. Chicken or the Egg? But, the reality is that this a 26-episode series, presented as seven theatrical features, and then broadcast on television. Home Video? That's just a "product" to support the series itself — i.e. profit.
Old 2012-04-16, 03:55   Link #318
denshousha

Well, if they say "Next Week's Episode" on them, that does change my opinion.
A discussion had started about it on ANN's forums, but now that site seems to be down.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:07   Link #319
YF19EX

I got lucky and found a "used" copy at a Traders. In addition to the bluray and special sleeve, included is a copy of the storyboard for the op and one for the first ep.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 08:10   Link #320
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Pre-order figures thus far - 12k for part 1, 10k for part 2. This is good news indeed.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato