Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-28, 07:17   Link #441
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

For some reason I too cant stand Ouran.
Some of those jokes are really funny, but the whole setting is just so.. stupid.
Also none of the characters are likeable to me.
I know, its a comedy and supposed to be random and funny, but its just too hard to constantly remind myself of that fact.

As for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I really think that to understand the hype it created, you had to watch it, when it aired. That means no spoilers and no definite expectations when watching it.
The ambience it created reminded me of how I felt when I saw the first Matrix movie in the cinemas. I was out with friends, visiting a big shopping mall which also had arcardes, discos and cinemas. It happened to be the first day matrix was shown.
I had only heared very few things about it, that it was kind of SciFi and it got good reviews all over the board. So we decided to go and watch it out of the blue.
That resulted in one of the most amazing cinematic experiences I ever had. How the movie started in a normal world, then weird things start to happen one by one and the awesomeness spins out of control more and more every minute...!
Rewatching the movie now, its just another (good) SciFi flick. But I always remember that first time watching it and thats what makes the difference.

Haruhi felt kind of similar to this. I only saw few posts about it here on the forums, which were enough to make me interested. But I really expected some kind of dating sim derived harem / school comedy stuff judging from the artworks.
Nothing prepared me for that "first" episode. And from that point on it kept surprising me for a good amount of time. I think this has a huge impact at how you experience a series.
Old 2008-02-28, 07:39   Link #442
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Aww, why the Ouran hate?

I thought it was the most hilarious thing ever. Okay, "ever" is an exaggeration, but it's really funny -- and can even be sentimental, at times. In fact, it is quite the brilliant parody of, homage to, and an impressive example of the sub-genre of shoujo dealing with (relatively) normal girls being put into extravagant situations.

I know I laughed until my stomach hurt in the first episode alone. There's just something stylish in the comedy, not to mention the timing is as close to perfect as an anime comedy can be.

Amex_Yohko: You made the challenged first. Okay, I'm not going to flame you, but I'll address your points.

- The "dumb" female characters are parodies of celebrity worship culture and yaoi fangirling, which is, well, really dumb in real life. The show isn't being misogynistic, it's being satirical. And as a properly disillusioned member of the post-modern Western society, I am sufficiently well-indoctrinated to consider criticisms against this sheeple culture to be the height of literary achievement.

- Half-naked bishounen fanservice is also satirical, making fun of the people in the first point. Unless you actually like the stuff, in which case, well, free fanservice.

- How is Tamaki an asshole? He's airheaded and egotistical, may be, but he never really harmed anyone. And he's far from anything perfect.
Old 2008-02-28, 10:10   Link #443
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Tamaki is a sweetheart. "Asshole" could never describe him. You want an asshole? See Kouga from Inuyasha. But Tamaki certainly isn't perfect either. If he was, I'd probably hate him because I can't stand perfect characters. XD
Old 2008-02-28, 14:27   Link #444
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
In my opinion I thought Ouran Host Club was a funny anime and found it very cute, since I'm really into the comedy/romance section. Also having a girlfriend and watching a lot of romance and chick flicks with her, these types of anime don't seem to bother me anymore at all.

An anime that had a huge hype but I didn't seem to like as much was Full Metal Alchemist. All my friends and a lot of people loved this anime but something about it didn't seem so appealing to me. Maybe because I was disappointed too much over the "Full Metal" name in front. But while watching I felt like something was missing and just gave up on the anime itself.
Old 2008-03-01, 00:05   Link #445
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
Maybe because I was disappointed too much over the "Full Metal" name in front.
Please don't tell me what you meant was that you hated Full Metal Panic! as well?

;_;

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-01, 02:48   Link #446
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
An anime that had a huge hype but I didn't seem to like as much was Full Metal Alchemist. All my friends and a lot of people loved this anime but something about it didn't seem so appealing to me. Maybe because I was disappointed too much over the "Full Metal" name in front. But while watching I felt like something was missing and just gave up on the anime itself.
Well, it's a popular anime because it's easily categorised with Naruto and Bleach, those popular with those who aren't as "hardcore", so to speak, as us. Obviously, it also has a much better reception among us hardcorers than Bleach and Naruto (due to the lack of Pierrot extending it with fillers and fail), so it's generally seen as a widely well-received series. I thought it was decent, though not particularly good. I was able to finish it, though. Yess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Please don't tell me what you meant was that you hated Full Metal Panic! as well?
Of course not! It means that Full Metal Panic! was so much better than Fullmetal Alchemist!
Right?

...right?
Old 2008-03-01, 03:11   Link #447
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
I personally cannot stand Eureka Seven or Code Geass >.>
Now that the hype's over, I'm also not a huge fan of Gurren-Lagann.
Old 2008-03-01, 03:15   Link #448
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
In my opinion I thought Ouran Host Club was a funny anime and found it very cute, since I'm really into the comedy/romance section. Also having a girlfriend and watching a lot of romance and chick flicks with her, these types of anime don't seem to bother me anymore at all.
From my experience if there's something that annoys you greatly, then no matter how great the other aspects of the series are, you will hate it. For example, I cannot stand the camera movement and art of Wind: A Breath of Heart, and I had to drop it in 5 minutes. For Ouran, I can't stand the crossdressing jokes, because it's just something that I consider funny. There were other things I didn't approve of, but it's just the little things that ruin all the comedy for me.
Old 2008-03-01, 03:35   Link #449
Phantasmagoria
*Author

I dropped Ouran at 5 or so, well, if Haruhi remained a girl and the boys become girls (everything changes, including their personality,etc), it will be an amazing anime

The Yuri fever will be back, I rejoice!!

Oh wait, when is Candy*Boy episode 2 out ??

I don't find Ouran to be cute, but the comedy is there, and if there's anything to hate, it will have to be the young (kid?) and the (twin?) brothers.
Old 2008-03-01, 03:45   Link #450
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
I dropped Ouran at 5 or so, well, if Haruhi remained a girl and the boys become girls (everything changes, including their personality,etc), it will be an amazing anime

The Yuri fever will be back, I rejoice!!

Oh wait, when is Candy*Boy episode 2 out ??

I don't find Ouran to be cute, but the comedy is there, and if there's anything to hate, it will have to be the young (kid?) and the (twin?) brothers.
Oh yeah, I also hated the twins for reasons I don't even know. Maybe the genre just isn't right for me.
Old 2008-03-01, 04:33   Link #451
blewin

Bleach. It's just fight over fight over fight, and power-up, more power-up and more power-up without giving enough time to make it credible. Storyline is simple and predictable, humour is beyond lame and characters..... I don't like the character design. There's some character development in there, but it's too rushed. oh, and lack of emotional depth. I just can't understand why it's so popular. It's worse than Naruto.
Old 2008-03-01, 06:39   Link #452
Oppius
Banned

The twins' existence in that show just for fanservice. This also goes to Honey-sempai, the overaged shouta "kid".
Old 2008-03-01, 07:38   Link #453
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Oh yeah, I also hated the twins for reasons I don't even know. Maybe the genre just isn't right for me.
Yep. I thought I stepped into the Yaoi world.. I don't know.

I am going to watch some of the anime from your List [Though I have to finish up NHK and TT..]
I have this feeling, we have similar taste

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-03-01 at 07:53.
Old 2008-03-01, 15:42   Link #454
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Of course not! It means that Full Metal Panic! was so much better than Fullmetal Alchemist!
Right?

...right?
I hope so. But putting your words into that context, it definitely seems yours make sense more.

I'm going to go off-topic a bit but it irritates me a bit whenever I mention Full Metal Panic! I would hear about Fullmetal Alchemist (I'm not talking about the last posts). At this rate, I may end up disliking FMA before even watching it, lol.

On the other hand, I don't understand the hype behind FMA. I checked the manga and it wasn't that interesting... I guess I got myself into the hype too much. It always ends up to be the killer for enjoyment.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-01, 15:53   Link #455
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Higurashi.. saw the first few episodes when it started airing but i wasnt hooked..
Gurren Lagann..
Spoiler for for reason:

Bleach, i hate the bleach anime now.. i still read the manga but its always the same.. power up stuff... the art even changed from what it used to be in the first season and it was the art work that i loved about it the most.. and the fillers... first bount arc then i was really excited cause the new season was starting and it was a good season and then.. fillers again!
i stopped watching after that...
Naruto probably the same.. i hate the animation now.. but Naruto mainly now because of the long talks and the constant fill it up with shots so that at the end of the episode the fighting starts, meaning another week of waiting before you get to see the action you've been waiting for...
and the year long fillers made me clean of any naruto watching since then ive never felt the addictive urge anymore to follow the anime
Old 2008-03-01, 17:55   Link #456
Z3120

I suppose Tokimeki Memorial and Romeo X Juliet come to mind at the moment.

Tokimeki Memorial had borderline-somewhat-amusing characters but lousy character interactions ruined it for me like how one girl fell in love (and why those reasons was enough to beats me though, but I could understand them, just wasn't as meaningful to me I guess); plot movement really fluctuated especially with random fillers for characters who didn't even have a presence or much of it in the anime; an interesting storyline but was on such a small scale and antics like the student president's events was underused I thought since it could have really expanded and added some depth at many things and levels; and I suppose weak characters really turned me off.

Personally, Romeo X Juliet could have been greater. I thought some story elements were incredibly underdeveloped especially some fantasy elements, a stagnant pace especially in the latter half of the show and not a whole lot of character conflicts. I enjoyed RxJ but not on the level I would have liked.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:25   Link #457
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok I don't hate many anime since Im usually open to anything even though I might not like the genre its in. I dont like the mecha genre but I like Geass, Gurren stuff like that. Im not a huge romance fan but I loved Kanon 06 and Ouran. But one anime I cannot stand is Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Honestly I have no idea how I sat through 12 epis of this. At first I was really into it, the heartbreak, the lying, the story all were great and then as it progressed I started to hate Mitsuki with a passion. By the end I was screaming at my screen. I get the ending, I get why they did it but still I hated it. I know alot of ppl like this anime and trust me Im not bashing it, this is just my own opinion but never get me started on Mitsuki, I cant hold back my utter dislike of her.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-03-01, 18:42   Link #458
james0246

I never understood Eureka 7. The character designs were awful to atroscious (those little kids gave me nightmares), and the mechs were just plain stupid (the surfing motif was just...just awful). The story was needlessly confusing and stuttered along to its very unnatural conclusion. And the characters themselves were extremely boring and annoying (Renton, the main character, in particular), with Holland being the only character in the entire series that survived the series with any redemming value. This was just a bad show which was unnaturally hyped (due to the greatness of the shows creator Studio Bones).

Sorry to any that liked the series, this bigger name series just really gets me.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:42   Link #459
sunchips18
shinobi of darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldestroyer View Post
I hate InuYasha, Naruto, and DBZ. Although i still like the orginal DB. I don't in the life of me know why people would watch shuch crud.
because they are awsome. america just butchered them. i don't want to get into a argument because it is your opinion and i respect that. anyways back on topic i guess it would be elfen lied and blood+.
Old 2008-03-01, 22:36   Link #460
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
But one anime I cannot stand is Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Honestly I have no idea how I sat through 12 epis of this. At first I was really into it, the heartbreak, the lying, the story all were great and then as it progressed I started to hate Mitsuki with a passion. By the end I was screaming at my screen. I get the ending, I get why they did it but still I hated it. I know alot of ppl like this anime and trust me Im not bashing it, this is just my own opinion but never get me started on Mitsuki, I cant hold back my utter dislike of her.
Isn't there an alternative re-telling which concentrates on Haruka?
Maybe you will like that one. I was the complete, another side of your coin, but I didn't dislike Haruka as much. Same love for both