AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 13:14   Link #61
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Just last week I was listening to D12 - My Band.
So my dad was staring at the screen and I said: "what's up?"
He was like: "What kinda dumbass song is this?"
Moi: "It's SUPPOSED to be funny dad.."
Dad: "You can understand that?"
Moi: "Yes, of course. Internet is educational"

He pays the bills and doesn't like it sometimes:P
We never talk much.
Old 2004-04-06, 14:07   Link #62
sasukeXoro
scratch n' sniff avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz

We never talk much.
divorce him/run away
sasukeXoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 14:15   Link #63
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasukeXoro
divorce him/run away
Naw I still need his money, man:P
Old 2004-04-06, 15:06   Link #64
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I never had this problem since my parents grew up knowing what anime was and even saw a little when they were young. My mom told me she use to watch some Sailor Moon when she was younger and my dad was the person who rented all the animes tapes for me to watch when I was a kid. However, my dad does have a problem with me playing games, I guess it is because back in China they never had any video games at their time. He keeps saying videos games are for kids and blah blah blah.
Old 2004-04-06, 15:50   Link #65
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I have the same kind of problem, but since I'm 40 and my parents are in their 70's, it doesn't really affect me. Except for the times when I go back home like around holidays and get together with 2 of my nieces ( who are of college age) who also like anime, and we watch and discus it. Then the rest of the family is "Not more of that Japanese stuff again." at which point we just ignore them.
:fingers: (With this kind of attitude)
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 04:18   Link #66
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
I also started eating lot's of japanese stuff I find in stores.

Ramen and Taiyaki are my favs.

Also my parents jump in here that I eat weird

We Dutchies are supposed to eat raw fish with raw onions not some noodles in a cup

Yet I liked these ever since I started watching Anime which is..... quite some time ago
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 07:56   Link #67
Amy
Fantasy...

Send a message via MSN to Amy
My parents don't really mind I watch anime, they do think I'm weird, but that's not only cuz of the anime. XD

They still describe anime as "some kind of cartoons" even after I explained what it is to them for the 100th time. ^^"

My friends just ignore me whenever I start to talk about anime again... only one of my friends likes anime [yay, I recently managed to drag het along in my anime addiction! ^^"] the others also think of it as cartoons, think it's weird, and the fact that it's in jap sounds even weirder to them. Tsch, baka's. XD
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:24   Link #68
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
My parents don't really mind I watch anime, they do think I'm weird, but that's not only cuz of the anime. XD

They still describe anime as "some kind of cartoons" even after I explained what it is to them for the 100th time. ^^"

My friends just ignore me whenever I start to talk about anime again... only one of my friends likes anime [yay, I recently managed to drag het along in my anime addiction! ^^"] the others also think of it as cartoons, think it's weird, and the fact that it's in jap sounds even weirder to them. Tsch, baka's. XD
my parents do think i'm watching some kiddy cartoons too, not much of any understanding of how anime has evolved over the years and has been made for adults viewing too... ANIME is not CARTOONS for goodness sake... and i actually get the thrill of watching azumanga daioh !!
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:40   Link #69
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobu_Maehara
That's what my parents think. My dad doesn't understand what a 21 year old guy needs with a huge Azumanga Daioh Poster in his room.
To add to the confusion I have a alot of Anime posters, scrolls, figurines etc.

Do you have the same problem? And how do you deal with it? Any tips?
When I was 21, I've already moved out for years. And if the biggest issue between u and your parents is about anime, consider yourself lucky.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:46   Link #70
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
He should go to /c/ I'm sure he would flame buki buki and get banned by moot
aahh....Buki^2

I like that guy for his distribution for 4chan
and no......he should go to /l/ and get an instant ban

[ONTOPIC]

I think I told my side but here it goes.....my father tolerates my liking to anime, he recognizes me as an individual and have a hobby. He saw some of my favorite show and laughed his ass off (he's 50)......my mother (who is conservative Christian)....in the other hand.......thinks is a waste and questions about some posters I have of Onegai Teacher, Oh, My Goddess, etc.......(just heard a conversation between my mother and the church leader, quote "anime is work of the devil..'yada yada fucking yada' ") ¬_¬
my older brother is ok with it, he likes some of them....hell, he like some of the wallpaper I find and but them in is PC
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:55   Link #71
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy
etc.......(just heard a conversation between my mother and the church leader, quote "anime is work of the devil..'yada yada fucking yada' ") ¬_¬
rofl, did she saw u watching chrno crusade or hellsing or tsukihime.. if people got this kinda perception, no wonder scarywater's torrent got problems
Old 2004-04-07, 10:04   Link #72
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamij0
rofl, did she saw u watching chrno crusade or hellsing or tsukihime.. if people got this kinda perception, no wonder scarywater's torrent got problems
nah, she saw me watching Ikkitousen's "yuri" scene...... ;p
Old 2004-04-07, 10:20   Link #73
kamij0

Quote:
nah, she saw me watching Ikkitousen's "yuri" scene...... ;p
... omg.. of all anime .. its the 1 with the most fanservice
Old 2004-04-07, 11:18   Link #74
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamij0
... omg.. of all anime .. its the 1 with the most fanservice
Yeh too much I'll say, I found it even sick... Too much fanservice kill the anime
And yet this is a bad idea to show this to someone who isn't very fan of anime or this person will still think this

Quote:
aahh....Buki^2

I like that guy for his distribution for 4chan
and no......he should go to /l/ and get an instant ban
/c/ is one of the more moderated part I think because of sick anonymous people who flame (now this is about /y/ but before it was about /l/) so it would be more likely there that he would get a ban ^^ Though I think he would flam far much on /l/ but that's another story ^^
Old 2004-04-07, 11:40   Link #75
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
lol same...I'm very proud of having been able to get one of my friends hooked on anime...The others are rather oblivious to it, they don't think it's weird, they're just not into it...My parents think it's funny. They used to think it was silly of me, but then I convinced them that there is, in fact, some intellectual value in (some) anime, and they shut up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz

We never talk much.
hahaha I love this song!! *sings* These chicks don't even know the name of my band...but they were on me like they wanna hold hands... **sings on

Last edited by MikoKikyo; 2004-04-07 at 17:29. Reason: just adding to the song...
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 12:51   Link #76
Lime-chan
Pandoras child

Send a message via ICQ to Lime-chan
Talking

Quote:
I also started eating lot's of japanese stuff I find in stores.

Ramen and Taiyaki are my favs.

Also my parents jump in here that I eat weird

We Dutchies are supposed to eat raw fish with raw onions not some noodles in a cup

Yet I liked these ever since I started watching Anime which is..... quite some time ago

And french fries! You forgot the french fries for your own good stereotype thingie! (err... chips, pommes.. whatever)

My parents stopped their complaining when my collection of manga volumes reached the 250-mark (until now I've got more than 320 and still climbing)
Before they were like "that's little and girly stuff, don't you ever have anything else to do but reading and watching that sh..?"
I threatened them to run around in a "La Blue Girl" T-Shirt if they didn't leave me alone. Surprisingly it worked! (by the way, the T-Shirt's not mine. Damn! )

That was two years ago. I got used to close my door and get left alone while "anime-crazy". Last year, I moved into another city, starting university. I packed my stuff and took (of course!) some mangas/anime/posters with me.

And then I came home for christmas the first time... and my mother really asked me: "Hey, didn't you have more volumes of Kenshin?"
I: "err... Yes? The last thirteen or so are in my appartment?"
She: "Uhm... when you visit next time, you wouldn't bring them along, would you?"
I: ... *facefault*

Obviously my mother got bored someday and searched my room for, uh, /different/ lecture than her own (which happens to be these stupid peace, love&freedom thingies with these pretty *sexy* covers of half naked men and women... *coughcough* you get the image? and those oh-so-great romance novels...*ewww*)
Now she got addicted. Bad for me, cause I'm a collector and don't like bends in my mangas at all Had to train her being carfully with 'em...

My dad doesn't say anything. I think, when my mum goes to my room, he hides in the attic or so... it's a mad world. ^^

so much for my story.
Lime-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 13:23   Link #77
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Yeh too much I'll say, I found it even sick... Too much fanservice kill the anime
And yet this is a bad idea to show this to someone who isn't very fan of anime or this person will still think this
well, I was just watching the series in my room when she came in......what can I do then >_>a
Old 2004-04-08, 01:56   Link #78
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
When I was 21, I've already moved out for years. And if the biggest issue between u and your parents is about anime, consider yourself lucky.
What it with everybody wanting to move out as fast as possible?
I know people here who remain with their parents until they die O.o
It's a country's tradition I guess.

I am still looking for my own place, and yeah THEN they'll shut up.
Until then I just have to convince them.
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 02:12   Link #79
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
Quote:
What it with everybody wanting to move out as fast as possible?
I know people here who remain with their parents until they die O.o
It's a country's tradition I guess.

I am still looking for my own place, and yeah THEN they'll shut up.
Until then I just have to convince them.
I said my age earlier, but I am 21 too. Having been on my own since I was 17, (and practically on my own since about 8) I would say you have a great thing going with your parents, whether they "mix with anime" or not. ^_~ I suggest waiting until you are comfortable or stable enough financially or things just get too bad at home. Living with your parents at 21 is not so awful. Moving out and having to move back in is far far worse.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 03:48   Link #80
Weirdanzeige
Anti-You

Quote:
That's what my parents think. My dad doesn't understand what a 21 year old guy needs with a huge Azumanga Daioh Poster in his room.
To add to the confusion I have a alot of Anime posters, scrolls, figurines etc.

My dad claims that most characters are little girls and are supposed to be for little girls... O.o
So actually he says that my posters are not for guys at all.

I also have some Hellsing things, and that he understands because Alucard is a cool guy, a man and not a young girl...
I tried to explain the whole thing, but don't know how, because he says people might think I'm a pedophile or something.

I know I'm not, and I'm just an Anime nutcase.
How on earth can you explain you parents that being an Anime fan is just not for little kids only.

They think I should only have naked pictures of women and aggressive military stereotype guys in my posters...

Do you have the same problem? And how do you deal with it? Any tips?
Is he one of those Baby Boomers that doesn't understand why you'd like something thats japanese so much since they bombed pearl harbor or something? Cause you know, there's old ppl who had a father that fought in the war or something
Weirdanzeige is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parents