AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 51 37.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 28.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 21.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.74%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-22, 10:54   Link #61
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
So Hitagi was her unrequited love.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 11:22   Link #62
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blablabla View Post
The Senjohara moment of the day was as WTF unexpected as ever.... and once again SO FUNNY. I really love how she is toying Araragi without any complex.
Funny, but even though it started out seeming that Senjouhara was being cold with Araragi, it actually quickly came to seem quite intimate and even a little sweet.

If you remove the surreality of the situation it would be as if Senjouhara had found Araragi stiff and sore (bot not actually injured) by the side of the road where he had fallen off his bike. She's playfully curious about what could have caused the (minor) accident, but more than anything pleased that nothing serious is wrong with him.

As for Suruga I'm really captivated by that cute little grin of her's! I'd normally find her genki type just irritating and flat, but somehow she seems so sincerely chipper even through the tensest moments that I find myself liking her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
On another note, I also think it's odd that Suruga starts offering herself to Araragi despite her being a lesbian. Is she trying to break Senjougahara and Araragi apart? Perhaps she's testing him? Does she actually like him now all of a sudden?
Her sudden flirtation with Araragi is a little puzzling to me too. I'm not sure how her affliction will tie into the psychology of the situation, but it seemed to me that Suruga was trying to posses Araragi physically so that Senjouhara would be available. In other words, her interest in him was only a means to remove him from Senjouhara's affections.

Like I said I'm not sure where it's going, but if you look at the pattern emerging it seems that it starts with a stereotypical harem character type: tsundere, loli, genki.

They then reveal unexpected psychological depth paired with a supernatural affliction: emotional emptiness = weightless, loss of family = physically lost, 'abnormal' romantic desires = physical deformity.

This depth both subverts the expectations of the genre and plays more realistically: tsundere does not become cute and shy when affectionate, but is shockingly straightforward, loli is not an perpetually enticing icon of innocence but rather petulant, irritating and violent , athletic girl harbors attractions for the same gender (ok perhaps a that's just one stereotype for another more plausible less kawaii one).

Finally that affliction becomes a threat to the hero : physical assault removed from human remorse and empathy, perpetual loss and wandering (and being eaten), (who knows what the monkey has in store?).

Of course the other effect of this pattern is the subverting of the larger harem template. Araragi does in fact acquire a set of moelicious cuties who are obsessed with him - unfortunately they all want him dead! (at least at first).
Old 2009-08-22, 11:26   Link #63
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Loved this episode. I didn't expect I would like Kanbaru that much, but she's turning out to be a really fun character. Her being a lesbian wasn't surprising but I almost died laughing at the face Araragi made

I was however surprised that she was into yaoi, loli, and maybe also bondage and exhibitionism. That's a good list. I loved the fact she was so honest with herself.

I hope she'll get her opening next week. It should be very interesting to see.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 11:33   Link #64
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Hitagi nor Mayoi wanted Koyomi dead.

In real life, I find the "genki" women to be the most dangerous and psychotic when they do not obtain the object of their obsession. Especially when it comes to lust or love.

Simply put, Genki women break horribly...

Compared to Senjo... Kanbaru is way more dangerous.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 11:34   Link #65
Lummie

Did surugara invite Araragi to discuss the matter concerning the incident or did Araragi decide to barge in at the beginning of the episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Of course the other effect of this pattern is the subverting of the larger harem template. Araragi does in fact acquire a set of moelicious cuties who are obsessed with him - unfortunately they all want him dead! (at least at first).
Well it's true that throughout the serie, all victims who received help from Araragi are women - but i think it's too farfetched to say "He's building a harem". Atleast that's my view on the serie.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 11:38   Link #66
zato_1one

The "Rainey Devil" that was written in this episode. Was it a typo? Should it be "Rainy Devil"?
Old 2009-08-22, 11:41   Link #67
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Did surugara invite Araragi to discuss the matter concerning the incident or did Araragi decide to barge in at the beginning of the episode?

Well it's true that throughout the serie, all victims who received help from Araragi are women - but i think it's too farfetched to say "He's building a harem". Atleast that's my view on the serie.
When you are an anti social male, who has difficulty making friends, women are usuaually the FIRST ones to reshape your social life to a more healthy one.

Its not that he is building a harem... it is that he is making friends

And as I know it, the first set of friends are women because they are the easiest and at the same time the hardest to gain but also the most loyal.
Old 2009-08-22, 11:42   Link #68
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
The "Rainey Devil" that was written in this episode. Was it a typo? Should it be "Rainy Devil"?
It is Engrish ... Japanese have SERIOUS difficulty with certain English words.

Most often than not, they are also too self conscious to double check with a native English speaker.

Linguistic arrogance.
Old 2009-08-22, 12:09   Link #69
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
It is Engrish ... Japanese have SERIOUS difficulty with certain English words.

Most often than not, they are also too self conscious to double check with a native English speaker.

Linguistic arrogance.
I wasn't sure at first because I thought that it might be a particular name.
Old 2009-08-22, 13:17   Link #70
Yuutsu

All I can say is that Senjougahara is one hot, messed-up bitch. Now that I think about it, the same could be said for Kanbaru. Is it like a requisite that to be a female in the Bakemonogatari universe, that you need to be both hot and psycho?

On another note, I thought Suruga Monkey was only supposed to be two episodes long.
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 13:38   Link #71
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler for my response:
It's a pretty simple, and predictable reason why someone is all of a sudden targeting Araragi. It's the "jealous third person goes after the man who stole the other person from her" angle. And now, this is only made more complex with this issue of a demon possibly granting wishes, which one can see coming from a mile away.

I guess it's more predictable than trivial. I've just seen this pattern quite a number times already, and I was hoping that Suruga Monkey would be different than this.

And oh yeah, even coming from a non-novel-reader such as I, that little moment from the novel spoilers...

Spoiler:

...would've been nice to see too. A shame that it doesn't make it to the anime. This incident would've further highlighted Araragi and Senjougahara's relationship, and with the latter lacking airtime in this episode, it would've been a nice touch.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 13:47   Link #72
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
So its not a monkey's paw but a demon's hand?
So we move from gods to spirits to demons. I like where this is going.
I wonder, could Araragi see anything when Senjougahara Serviced him? lol
I love how both Surugara and Senjougahara offered their bodies to him xP
Old 2009-08-22, 13:58   Link #73
Zetsubo
著述遮断

As I said before... Senjougahara is a BIG PERVERT !
Old 2009-08-22, 14:49   Link #74
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Spoiler for cut from the novel:
Given that he had already touched her paw, it wouldn't make much sense to have Araragi suddenly worry about it his fidelity in that instance. Sure, including that moment would have been nice, but that would have required another few more minutes of airtime to explain his thought process. So, give and take. I think the adaptation works well enough as it stands, particularly since Araragi already made it clear that Kanbaru can't "replace" Senjougahara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
It's a pretty simple, and predictable reason why someone is all of a sudden targeting Araragi. It's the "jealous third person goes after the man who stole the other person from her" angle. And now, this is only made more complex with this issue of a demon possibly granting wishes, which one can see coming from a mile away.
Yup, pretty predictable but, then, I wasn't expecting much of a twist in the first place. Senjougahara's case didn't involve a twist either, but that didn't make her arc any less interesting.

The fun comes, rather, from the dialogue and wordplay. And, while Araragi doesn't quite share the same chemistry with Kanbaru as he does with Senjougahara, I enjoyed Kanbaru's teasing. Both girls have a knack for getting under Araragi's skin, probably because they can both tell that he's an inexperienced virgin a nice guy, which makes it all the more fun to tease him over sexual topics.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 15:27   Link #75
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
^ Yea I enjoyed the teasing as well, it's hilarious.

Plus Senjougahara's gift to Araragi at the beginning, I laughed so hard.

The episode amazed me, like all the other ones.
Old 2009-08-22, 15:47   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A good, solid episode. It had no weak points, per se, aside from how I would have preferred to have seen more Hitagi. That opening scene with her and Araragi was quite nice, though, and I just love how Hitagi keeps playing around with genre conventions; intentionally giving Araragi the ultimate fanservice shot.

The dialogue was decent and smooth, and Kanbaru is a wonderfully fitting addition to the cast, but nobody can take Senjougahara's place, as Araragi himself argued succinctly.

I did love how Kanbaru presented her backstory to Araragi, though, and the gripping visuals that the anime provided with it. There's no question that Bakemonogatari continues to have the most compelling and distinctive anime visuals in recent memory; certainly of the last two or three years, imo.

Also, Araragi's over-the-top comedic reactions similarly mess around with genre conventions; it reflects them in Araragi's case, but they're executed with a touch more flare and more solid timing than many are for anime characters in Araragi's sort of position.

Overall, this was an entertaining watch.
Old 2009-08-22, 15:57   Link #77
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I love this show. That is all.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 16:12   Link #78
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post
Plus Senjougahara's gift to Araragi at the beginning, I laughed so hard.
Given the earlier complaint about how that scene should have been in the previous episode, I mulled over the possible reasons why it was brought forward to this episode.

I think it works better here because it is juxtaposed later with Araragi's reaction to Kanbaru's *ahem* pants. (I'm not sure if "spats" is the right name. I think there's another word for them, but it escapes me at the moment. I use them when cycling long distances, and they're also good to wear for long-distance running, because they help prevent abrasions. Believe me, such friction burns are no laughing matter. ) Artistically, it's also interesting that Kanbaru's shorts "mirror" Senjougahara's zettai ryouiki (credit to Raiga for noticing).

More likely, though, it probably made more sense to put the fanservice here, to serve as a reward for waiting out the previous episode's cliffhanger.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 16:31   Link #79
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Given the earlier complaint about how that scene should have been in the previous episode, I mulled over the possible reasons why it was brought forward to this episode.

I think it works better here because it is juxtaposed later with Araragi's reaction to Kanbaru's *ahem* pants. (I'm not sure if "spats" is the right name. I think there's another word for them, but it escapes me at the moment. I use them when cycling long distances, and they're also good to wear for long-distance running, because they help prevent abrasions. Believe me, such friction burns are no laughing matter. ) Artistically, it's also interesting that Kanbaru's shorts "mirror" Senjougahara's zettai ryouiki (credit to Raiga for noticing).

More likely, though, it probably made more sense to put the fanservice here, to serve as a reward for waiting out the previous episode's cliffhanger.
You suggesting that Hitagi was not wearing anything under the skirt ?
Old 2009-08-22, 17:00   Link #80
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
"Lie there and be happy until you can move.." ARARAGI! YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
gigaloki is offline   Reply With Quote