4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-06, 04:26   Link #81
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

A great episode regarding Kiritsugu's backstory, but with a little horror element added into it? That's pretty much unexpected. I personally dun really like the horror genre that much, but I have to say they did it quite well IMHO.

Its still a little sick though, killing your father, then even smilling at the end of it. Well, guess he had the natural talent of being a cold-blooded killer.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 04:31   Link #82
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyriaL View Post
Its still a little sick though, killing your father, then even smilling at the end of it. Well, guess he had the natural talent of being a cold-blooded killer.
Hardly smiling: he is basically broken after what he has to do: as pointed out by what he said, he has -nothing- left.
Hell, you can't even call him a cold blood killer, considering how he had to convince himself to do it, and even after the deed, he was still in turmoil.

Meanwhile, Noritaka was the real sociopath, even towards his own child. Should he leave with Kiritsugu, there would have been huge chances that his next research would use Kiritsugu and other people as guinea pig, without any remorse (even though Shirley's case was accidental).
Old 2012-05-06, 04:39   Link #83
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Lastly, this makes me want a Tsukihime anime even more now, lol.
I'll say.

Watching Kiritsugu enjoy life with Shirley made me squee despite knowing this was Urobuchi Gen. What happened afterwards just pure brutality.

Those that are more knowledgeable with Nasuverse would've been able to enjoy this episode a lot more due to the aspects brought in from other places, such as the priest's subtle hate for Kiritsugu's father (Who actually turned out to be right. They usually turn out to be wrong), Dead Apostles and Cornelius Alba (great to see he was always a dick). Funnily enough the beggining reminded me of something out of Jormungand but better because it didn't have any maniacs.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 04:45   Link #84
Circlebutton
Occasional Occasionalist.

Well hello there, Cornellius Alba. Playing with fire since the early 70's are we?
Old 2012-05-06, 04:46   Link #85
rxrx

Kiritsugu's dad deserves his death if you ask me. Kiritsugu's issue is that he could not kill Shirely when she was still human and thus doomed the whole island. The precious here is Shirely and not his selfish father.

Also, thanks for clearing up my confusion about whether Kiritsugu slaughtered the island.
rxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 05:00   Link #86
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Yuki Kajiura's music this episode was really good and fitted the atmosphere well. I couldn't believe my ears when Kalafina's Manten played at the end.

Overall, I found this episode good. We get a glimpse into "Kerry's" past and how he ended up becoming the Magus Killer. There was a scene when a vampiric Shirley was begging Kiritsugu to kill her, and the fact that he did not and as a result, the whole town and its people ended up being destroyed - this seemed to have contributed to his consequentialist way of thinking.

Seeing all the tragedy unfold before Kerry, I can't help but feel sorry for him, but I understand why a number of people dislike his character, and consequently, this episode; I feel that the previous episodes didn't give Kiritsugu much focus (despite him being the main protagonist) and as a result, this episode felt a bit deliberate. I agree with Triple_R that this episode would've given a better impression if it had been after Episode 16.

Episode 18 did accomplish the point it was trying to get across, and that was to show how Kiritsugu ended up being the Magus Killer, and how it all began.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 07:48   Link #87
ookamigirl

Kerry's (Kiritsugu's) childhood days in summer fun on the island.
So his dad was experimenting there...
It was sad about Shirley since she was like big sis to him.
The whole zombie/vampire thing was unexpected but interesting.
This was kinda nice for a change of pace, refreshing episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 08:13   Link #88
MartianMage

Ok people what this week's episode of Fate Zero and MGX proves is that brown girls are the best in anime!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 08:54   Link #89
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well if anything this just shows Magus parents obsessed over Akasha suck on morality.

Wait... If the Church and Mage Association were this fast on vampire wannabees how come Zouken is still walking?
Because he isn't a Dead Apostle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'll say.

Watching Kiritsugu enjoy life with Shirley made me squee despite knowing this was Urobuchi Gen. What happened afterwards just pure brutality.

Those that are more knowledgeable with Nasuverse would've been able to enjoy this episode a lot more due to the aspects brought in from other places, such as the priest's subtle hate for Kiritsugu's father (Who actually turned out to be right. They usually turn out to be wrong), Dead Apostles and Cornelius Alba (great to see he was always a dick). Funnily enough the beggining reminded me of something out of Jormungand but better because it didn't have any maniacs.
This episode felt like Kara no Kyoukai since we had the black screen with the credits rolling with a great Kalafina song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
I agree with Triple_R that this episode would've given a better impression if it had been after Episode 16.
I agree with you guys too. It feels a little disjointed doing it after a Team Tohsaka Kotomine episode.
Old 2012-05-06, 09:07   Link #90
Kataryn

I'm still surprised at how the Holy Church and the Mages Association got to the island so fast.
Kataryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 09:13   Link #91
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I'm still surprised at how the Holy Church and the Mages Association got to the island so fast.
The priest knew something was a amiss so perhaps he reported it? Or perhaps they were monitoring the Emiya's? The church has lots of way to monitor mages (see Mahou Tsukai).
Old 2012-05-06, 09:20   Link #92
Grey

Whoa! Two backstory episodes for Kiritsugu? I didn't expect that. Cool, pretty cool.

Interesting to see Kiritsugu's actions. He must've had surprisingly strong conviction to deal with his father so decisively. I guess the knew his father wasn't the type to be dissuaded any other way, maybe. Edit: And/or he was distant enough from his father that the dead apostle fiasco was atrocious enough for Kiri to turn on him. His father did seem pretty distant and...magus-like. So that would be no surprise.

The latter half was a pretty fun "Ohshi--" flashback to Tsukihime.

Last edited by Grey; 2012-05-06 at 10:11.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:03   Link #93
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought they would cover both Kiritsugu's childhood days and Heart of Freaks in this episode, but they decided to grant a full episode to Kiritsugu's backstory. A sound decision, in my opinion. The events depicted in this episode are key to understanding the core of Kiritsugu's belief. It does a terrific job explaining why he adopted his "kill 1 to save many" philosophy.

The Cornelius cameo, while completely useless, was neat fanservice. I hate that character and yet I squealed when I saw him
Old 2012-05-06, 10:13   Link #94
Grey

So that was Cornelius? I never really watched Kara no Kyoukai but even I thought "...is that the Kara no Kyoukai blondie?"

Fun cameo.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:49   Link #95
Marik

This episode was great. Now it is clear why Kiritsugu has this philosophy about life.
Btw Shirley was very cute.
Marik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:01   Link #96
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
Ok people what this week's episode of Fate Zero and MGX proves is that brown girls are the best in anime!
Yup. Shirley is so cute.

Which made it all the more worse for me when she turned into that monster... Haiz....
Old 2012-05-06, 11:15   Link #97
cat_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyriaL View Post
Kiritsugu's smile at that moment was rather natural for Japanese people.
Needless to say, people smile when they are happy.
But, in Japan, some people also smile when they are NOT happy.
For example, when they fail, or when they are extremly sad, or when they are in a extremly difficult situation.
Kiritugu's smile at that moment gives the impression of Kiritsugu's deep sorrow.
cat_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:20   Link #98
LunarMoon

Forcing a smile, as tears well up in your eyes, generally isn't an indication of happiness. Quite the opposite, really. It generally means that a character's been completely broken.
To await an anime for the VN Muv-Luv,
Lunar.Moon.
Downloading from Hulu at the speed of light,
To remain within the bounds of copyrights!
http://myanimelist.net/profile/LunarMoon
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:24   Link #99
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

First time I ever cared about Kiritsugu. Guy really made an effort to make it impossible to like him for a majority of the series.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:36   Link #100
klare

when the eps end i thought it was only half-way, been a long time since i felt like this

i think this is a great eps, and important one to understand more about Kerrytsugu