AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-09, 13:54   Link #3821
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
The next Macross will tell you the answer.
Why do you think the next Macross would have anything to do with Frontier, save for possibly some... superficial references?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-08-09, 14:01   Link #3822
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why do you think the next Macross would have anything to do with Frontier, save for possibly some... superficial references?

- Tak
For this matter, it will justify whether she woke up. Remember that M7 justified what became of SDF. Frontier justified what became of Zero and Plus (if you count this movie). The characters are still alive. So the next one will likely tell whether Sheryl woke up, for her songs will still be around, tours, etc. I already know that Ranka lives. But perhaps they'll pull a SDF again and have all of Frontier vanish (given the interview about being unable to continue the storyline of it). I hope not. It'd be a Gundam then...
Old 2012-08-09, 14:09   Link #3823
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
But perhaps they'll pull a SDF again and have all of Frontier vanish (given the interview about being unable to continue the storyline of it). I hope not. It'd be a Gundam then...
This is actually a very common practice for the Macross continuity. Aside from superficial references, other colonies in the Macross universe from previous series are hardly mentioned. Frontier will not vanish as a colony, but it will certainly become irrelevant as a plot device.

As for the pairing? Well, if it eases you in any way, Minmei joined Hikaru and Misa in Megaroad... (then poof) I suppose thats what will happen with Ranka.

Unlike Gundamn however, Macross doesn't have a big reset button.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-08-09, 16:06   Link #3824
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
This is actually a very common practice for the Macross continuity. Aside from superficial references, other colonies in the Macross universe from previous series are hardly mentioned. Frontier will not vanish as a colony, but it will certainly become irrelevant as a plot device.
But the point is that we eventually find out what happened to our favorite characters in that way. They don't vanish forever and are never mentioned again. Gundam isn't the same in this respect...

Quote:
As for the pairing? Well, if it eases you in any way, Minmei joined Hikaru and Misa in Megaroad... (then poof) I suppose thats what will happen with Ranka.
Um, first, I didn't support Minmei. I like her music but her character was annoying. So I want to share that. Also, I hope not.

If they intend to copy Zero (as stated about the second movie), the person they chose in the end to remain with Alto permanently (whether it be Ranka or remain Sheryl) will vanish with him, leaving the middle girl behind to insert into a future series. There is still a chance that Ranka will end up with Alto because the next series will be in the future; and it is likely that they will repeat Max and Millia by breaking up Alto and Sheryl; though I hope that's not the case, because salutes like that are dumb (and we'd have the same crap all over again of love triangle yet since we know M7; he'll end back up with Sheryl, unless they break that pattern). But that still might happen, since they're so obsessed with M7 crap now.

Quote:
Unlike Gundamn however, Macross doesn't have a big reset button.
No, but it is one of the biggest anime with the most unexplained crap; unlike a certain other troll (hintAquarionhintEVOLhint).
Old 2012-08-09, 17:47   Link #3825
moncikoma

Quote:

Of course, I could always use the official artbook as a reference (where Sheryl waking up in the infirmary with Alto at her side)... or the VF-25 masterfiles, indicating that they are touring the colony.

- Tak
where? I wanna seeeeeeee
Old 2012-08-09, 17:51   Link #3826
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
where? I wanna seeeeeeee
Huh, those are old news. There is a spread in the official artbook where Sheryl woke up with Alto by her side in the infirmary. The VF-25 masterfiles is part technical data, part mini adventure of Alto & Sheryl touring colonies across the galaxy where Alto is acting bodyguard.

Of course, both materials were released a long, long time ago.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2012-08-09 at 23:33.
Old 2012-08-10, 01:36   Link #3827
magnuskn

The masterfiles were declared non-canon in the very book, though, although for me they are Best Ending.
Old 2012-08-10, 06:17   Link #3828
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
The masterfiles were declared non-canon in the very book, though, although for me they are Best Ending.
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Based on the usage patterns of the term in question (公式設定, lit: 'official setting') in Japanese credits and Japanese titles of media-related books, I believe that the disclaimer wasn't saying something along the lines of 'this is not canon', but rather "this is not an official guidebook".

c.f.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Quote:
This book, "Variable Fighter Master File VF-25 Messiah, the new saviour" is not an 'official guidebook'. Rather, it has been written as an encyclopedia, published on Macross Olympia in 2065, about the history and engineering of the VF-25 Messiah that appears in works in the Macross series.
For you though, based on the approach you said you prefer, it's a 'parallel universe'.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-08-10, 07:39   Link #3829
magnuskn

karice, that the masterfiles are canon would the bestest news ever in the history of ever. How sure can we be about that? Yot claimed repeatedly in the past that they are not canon.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:49   Link #3830
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Well, they're not 'canon', not by the predominant (Western) conception of it. And neither is the series, the films, the novels, the manga etc etc.

But the disclaimer in the book is not about that - I really think it's just saying that "this isn't an 'official guidebook'". The problem is that none of us (i.e. Yot-chan and myself) really understood what 公式設定 referred to at the time.

NB: this is based on my current understanding of the term. Though I think that I generally understand its use correctly now, I'll leave it up to you whether you want to trust my understanding of it.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-08-10, 07:57   Link #3831
magnuskn

Yeah, the concept of canon is entirely too fluid in Macross for my western taste, that's for sure.

As for the term itself, what would "this isn't an official guidebook" exactly mean, then? The disclaimer has to be in there for something specific, any idea what that something is?
Old 2012-08-10, 08:03   Link #3832
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Basically, a book that tells you about the world that the creators have made and how it was made. They typically have sections on the world/universe that the story is set in (setting), on the backgrounds of the characters, on the character designs (and mecha designs for Macross, Eva, etc), on the music etc etc.

The Sayonara no Tsubasa Complete Book is a guidebook. To use Western examples, try The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy or some of the LOTR guidebooks (for the films).

...and, if you remember, I explained what I took the disclaimer to mean in the 'Canon thread'. Although my translation of that term has changed, it hasn't changed my understanding of what the disclaimer meant.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-08-10, 08:09   Link #3833
magnuskn

Well, since I value my own western understanding of canon, I think I'll take your updated translation of the term as Very Good News, indeed. Makes my general outlook on the TV series ending 100% more happy.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:44   Link #3834
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Just remember that, if you want to take the version(s) you want to construct the 'canon' you are happy with, then everyone else who takes a similar approach can do the same.

I.e. some people will take, for example, Alto, gender identity issues and all; others will see Ranka as a far more mature and reliable person; still others will see both the good and bad sides of Sheryl. And they aren't wrong to do that.

That's not my own approach though, so I'll leave you guys and gals to it.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-08-10, 09:18   Link #3835
magnuskn

Yeah, well, I'll refrain from discussing continuity with you, since I know our views on it are not compatible at all.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:42   Link #3836
moncikoma

the remake is finaly here..

new story...new mecha!
the theme song is LION!
Old 2012-08-12, 09:42   Link #3837
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
I laughed.

(and in that retrospect, Ranka would win, given the dumb title)
Old 2012-08-12, 12:08   Link #3838
angel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
the remake is finaly here..

new story...new mecha!
the theme song is LION!
This is the first movie, the false diva?
Old 2012-08-12, 12:11   Link #3839
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

What the fudge is that? O_o
Old 2012-08-12, 15:26   Link #3840
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
A joke that apparently a lot of people don't get.

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song