Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-19, 00:27   Link #1
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
God Of War Ascension

The Spartan god slayer is back...for carnage! Ooh, I'm so hyped for this!!

Spoiler for GOW Ascension Trailer:
Old 2012-04-19, 02:20   Link #2
Zexas

I played this for the head ripping scene
Old 2012-04-19, 02:33   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Alternate title: "God of War IV". I see no reason to give it an entirely different subtitle. Sure it's a prequel but that doesn't mean it can't be a numbered title too.

Still, I'm up for some more brutal and unforgiving Ancient Grecian action with Kratos. Thank god it's on PS3 this time.~
Old 2012-04-19, 06:36   Link #4
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Kratos can brutally murder me anytime he likes. This announcement is great news to me.
Old 2012-04-19, 07:49   Link #5
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Alternate title: "God of War IV". I see no reason to give it an entirely different subtitle. Sure it's a prequel but that doesn't mean it can't be a numbered title too.
Dunno, I kinda like that they at least tried to break the "just slap a bigger number behind it" mould.

That aside, how are they going to top bringing down the entire world? Heck, GoW 1 was about doing the impossible by killing a god.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 08:12   Link #6
james0246

The previous prequels were already good enough, so I do not know why (besides money) they are making another.

I kind of wish GoW IV had simply been set in the future, or at least a different pantheon with a different protagonist (Who wouldn't want to play a title featuring Anhur, the Egyptian God of War? )
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 08:41   Link #7
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
a different pantheon with a different protagonist
God of Thor. Calling it now.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:10   Link #8
DaRk HuNt3r F4n
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
God of Thor. Calling it now.
God of Thunder, not God of Thor...
Old 2012-04-19, 10:54   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRk HuNt3r F4n View Post
God of Thunder, not God of Thor...
It's a rhyming joke.
Old 2012-04-19, 17:19   Link #10
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I'm on the fence with this one...
On one hand, I definitely want to see more of what the GoW3 engine and PS3 is capable of- the game looked absolutely spectacular.
On the other, the gameplay hasn't changed that much... but my biggest concern is of "prequelitis/interquelitis" a la Star Wars.

Then again, perhaps I'm worrying too much. I've played all the other God of War games (albeit all on the PS3 thanks to the HD collections), so I'm interested in seeing how this will turn out. I guess Santa Monica have deliberately left some gaps in the story of Kratos so they can go back to it.
Old 2012-04-20, 00:07   Link #11
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
On the other, the gameplay hasn't changed that much... but my biggest concern is of "prequelitis/interquelitis" a la Star Wars.
Pre-Ghost Of Sparta Kratos means no Chained Blade. So it is expected that there will be at least some changes at the core of things.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 00:55   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Does this mean that we can face the Barbarian Chief (or I suppose that was the guy) that Kratos asked Ares to help kill? Or maybe that's how the story for Ascension will conclude. Either way, I'm assuming this is going to be the last God of War. Since it doesn't seem like there will be anything else to have revenge on after III.
Old 2012-04-20, 08:49   Link #13
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Does this mean that we can face the Barbarian Chief (or I suppose that was the guy) that Kratos asked Ares to help kill? Or maybe that's how the story for Ascension will conclude. Either way, I'm assuming this is going to be the last God of War. Since it doesn't seem like there will be anything else to have revenge on after III.
Jesus. Calling it right now, Kratos will come back and kill Jesus. For the good of all.

The Ghost of Sparta prequel showed us a young Kratos, and Chains of Olympus showed us Kratos' time as a servant to the Gods (Betrayal and GoS also act as interquels between GoW1 and GoW2). So, the most likely story for Ascension is Kratos' time before the gods (as you've said). Sadly, that sounds like a fairly boring game (I do not know if I want to play a version of Kratos without the Blades of Chaos, or his ashen visage).

Personally, if the game does complete the series proper (ending at the beginning of GoW1), then I hope Kratos' final "battle" will be killing his wife and daughter...
Old 2012-04-20, 09:16   Link #14
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Personally, if the game does complete the series proper (ending at the beginning of GoW1), then I hope Kratos' final "battle" will be killing his wife and daughter...
I sort of like this idea since it is great from a storytelling POV (seeing the tragedy happen in front of your eyes and knowing what's to come afterward and the grief to follow for everyone involved) but at the same time, from a gamer POV, that would be an anticlimactic ''finale battle'' of the highest order. Sure, it's fantastic to really tug your heart right out of your chest and feel the pain of killing the one thing you wanted to protect in the world as the player, but for a GoW game, I would normally imagine someone who'd be able to put up a decent to ''epic'' fight against Kratos to be the finale boss.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:40   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I sort of like this idea since it is great from a storytelling POV (seeing the tragedy happen in front of your eyes and knowing what's to come afterward and the grief to follow for everyone involved) but at the same time, from a gamer POV, that would be an anticlimactic ''finale battle'' of the highest order. Sure, it's fantastic to really tug your heart right out of your chest and feel the pain of killing the one thing you wanted to protect in the world as the player, but for a GoW game, I would normally imagine someone who'd be able to put up a decent to ''epic'' fight against Kratos to be the finale boss.
You fight the Barbarian King in an epic battle for Lunch, and then go home and slaughter your family for dinner. That should appease everyone...
Old 2012-04-20, 10:44   Link #16
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

A logical way to conclude the GoW franchise will be to allow Ascension to be both a prequel and a sequel. Take us to where it all begins and where everything ends.

From a story point of view, they can show the pre-GoW I sequence as a first part of the game to show how Kratos ascended from a spartan to the Ghost Of Sparta. And the 2nd part of the game, they could have Kratos in limbo after the events of GoW III, casting aside his rage as part of his redemption to ascendsion beyond the Ghost Of Sparta.

Possible bosses could be ghost version of the Gods killed. We already seen the ghost Athena and Zeus as well, so why not others ? They need to settle who or what the Ghost Athena is and what is her motives with her revelations in the conclusion of GoW III anyway. It's just not good storytelling to left something hanging.
Old 2012-04-20, 11:33   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I believe we practically will know everything about Kratos after Ascension. This is a big guess though, so MakubeX2's idea does sound possible. We already know mostly everything about Kratos, unless they add more random things. Either God of War III's ending was the very last ending they will show to this story. Or show the aftermath of what happened after Kratos did what he did.
Old 2012-04-20, 14:37   Link #18
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I'm getting this and Hitman:Absolution.Two of the most badass bald guys Kratos and agent 47.

Hitman absolution trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1Aii7scBo
Old 2012-05-01, 17:17   Link #19
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed

Quote:
Sony has confirmed long-running speculation that the next God of War game has multiplayer.

God of War: Ascension has online and offline multiplayer battles for up to eight players. There are a variety of multiplayer modes, customisable avatar warriors, armour and weapon types to unlock. Eurogamer's Johnny Minkley saw it in action for a God of War: Ascension preview, published today.

Multiplayer "combines the brutal gameplay and large-scale battles that God of War is known for to create a competitive experience like never before", Sony said. According to game director Todd Papy it's a "fresh twist" on competitive gaming.

But the game has single-player, too, this time with a "revamped" combat and weapon system, "promptless" mini-games and new puzzles. Sony mentioned "fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios".

Papy told Eurogamer Ascension's campaign is "just a little bit shorter" than in previous God of War games. "We've mapped out everything and given time estimates. It'll be pretty damn close."

And lead combat designer Jason McDonald insisted that single-player has not suffered as a result of the addition of multiplayer. "We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack [the latter] on," he said. "We're definitely going full force with both."

As for the story, Ascension sees players assume the role of Kratos as he tries to break the blood oath that binds him to Ares. Since this is a prequel, we get to see a younger Kratos, one driven mad after being tricked into killing his wife and child. In the game Kratos "seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family". Helping is his signature double-chained blades.

Eurogamer

Polyphemus. Thar means Odysseus. Perhaps we are meant to play through the Trojan war and the Odyssey in single player story ?
Old 2012-05-01, 17:22   Link #20
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

.... I will admit, the idea of tackling huge titans with three allies instead of "rawr Kratos" sounds like a hellalot of fun. That teamwork cutscene alone looked cool.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote