AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-05-13, 21:32   Link #2421
james0246

Quote:
We all die, the purpose isn't to live forever; but to create something that will.
Uhoh, you're going to piss off the Methuselah Foundation and the transhumanist...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 22:30   Link #2422
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Here we go again....
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 22:37   Link #2423
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Uhoh, you're going to piss off the Methuselah Foundation and the transhumanist...
A good deal of ancient civilization came about because a ruler wanted to achieve immortality on Earth, and the only way to do that is to become famous enough that your name and your deeds would never be forgotten. Example: Gilgamesh (NOT the anime, the Mesopotamian epic)

I realize that's an extreme over-simplification. It's also late at night and my brain isn't fully here. This is also off-topic.

Yes, I'm religious. No, I will not force my beliefs down your throat.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 23:04   Link #2424
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Cause and causality, an endless chain of events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
If everything is caused by something, then there's nothing else to cause that something.
You may be right, but being convinced it is your god that's responsible for that you claim by faith

I don't hold much 'faith' in the Big Bang theory
but there is even less proof of the existence of a higher being/entity
Now let's for argument's sake believe that there is the possibility (in theory ANYTHING is possible )

Then there is still not enough to claim that that higher being is YOUR preferred diety

If you want to believe in an uncertainty, you may as well believe in death

Scientists at least exclaim in honesty to the question "what was there before the Big bang then?"
-"We don't know"

instead of filling in the blanks with fairytales
Old 2010-05-14, 00:01   Link #2425
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quasi-Christian I'd say. If that makes any sense to anybody.

Definitely a believer in God though. If it weren't for him, I would have been dead 13 years ago.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 00:45   Link #2426
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Why does it have to be a guy?

B'Coz if the Creator is a Gal . Penis Retracts back into the body and Testes shrink

Even putting forth idea of a Female/Unisex Creator results in Blasphemy or Heresy

Gotta blame centuries of brainwashing by Abrahamic Religions
Old 2010-05-14, 01:26   Link #2427
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't understand why science is ever compared with religion .

Their very goals are different. Science is built upon the ideas of the scientific method, which is used to make observations about our world that can then be perceived as "truths" until otherwise disproven with the same scientific method.

Religion on the other-hand is usually primarily concerned with existentialism... Simple questions about why are we here? How should we live our lives? Who created us?

The answers to those questions are perhaps the goal of some scientists, but that is not the stated goal of "science" because science is a method of observing perceived truths. That is all.

Lastly, why do so many people put faith in this so called "scientific method?" This is because the scientific method allows anyone with the means to retest the same experiment under certain conditions and observe the same results. It's a "if you don't believe it, try it yourself and show me that I am wrong."
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 01:30   Link #2428
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Now I know why this thread has been locked >_>

@Zu Ra
AFAIK Abrahamic Religion never told the follower about "God is a guy, etc"

Hell... this is dumb... In my teach" God would make us who follow his teaching properly as his lovers. So if God is a dude, I'll be Homo ?

Dumb topic make me dumb

@reckoner
handshake for you

Religion never will approved by science, so if you all "rational" people want label us the religion' as idiots, maybe its true.
Religion only can proven its true or not is when we die.
Old 2010-05-14, 02:38   Link #2429
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Now I know why this thread has been locked >_>

Hell... this is dumb... In my teach" God would make us who follow his teaching properly as his lovers. So if God is a dude, I'll be Homo ?
So is that the reward or the punishment?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 02:55   Link #2430
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Given what you said I think you are more of an Agnostic Theism than Agnostic Atheist. As the the first is the "view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence"; while the seconds one "are atheistic because they do not have belief in the existence of any deity, and agnostic because they do not claim to know that a deity does not exist."
Didn't see this message was meant to me without you telling me hehe
Anyhow, you might be right, I don't get into the religion thing too much, IMO I would be happy if Haruhi were god, and if I'll believe that Haruhi is god so it's fine :P

I'm not into this subject at all, just generally.
Old 2010-05-14, 03:10   Link #2431
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
So is that the reward or the punishment?
Well its supposed to be reward, but meh... I'm never imagine God as sexy as Adriana Lima anyway
BTW its nice analogy eh....
who cares about others opinion if you believe your lovers ?
Religion is like that, u maybe get hurt if you believin' but if the choice is rite, you live happily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post
I would be happy if Haruhi were god, and if I'll believe that Haruhi is god so it's fine :P
No, Akagi is da GOD... Not that noisy weirdo gal's
Old 2010-05-14, 03:14   Link #2432
Kotohono
Yuri ĩ'serator

Quote:
Anyhow, you might be right, I don't get into the religion thing too much, IMO I would be happy if Haruhi were god, and if I'll believe that Haruhi is god so it's fine :P

I'm not into this subject at all, just generally.
I agree with you on that point , and I only know some on this cause I've discussed religion good bit with my younger brother, and looked up various things on it as to not be uninformed when talking about it with him.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 03:44   Link #2433
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I'm talking about the Christianity that believes that in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
So... The Christianity that persecuted heliocentrists, then, who did believe that? And the Christianity from whom the Young Earth Creationists were sprouted, who also believe that?

So much for that separation of religion and science.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 04:21   Link #2434
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Wow not expect you two is muslim too, sallam from south-east asia.
I hear on UK (and on others EU Country), islam keep growing huh... can you tell a little about live as muslim on there ?
Well it must be not really different, but I'm curious on little things, like how atmosphere when Friday sholat' etc
Well, since I don't know much about the perceptions and culture of muslims in other countires, it's hard for me to make comparison.

All I can say is that reconciling traditional Islamic culture with the secular (almost atheistic) social norms and culture of Britain can be quite difficult and trying at times.

[edit]

Oh great. I just got fucking over by Agito.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-05-14 at 16:57.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 04:22   Link #2435
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
My point of view on afterlife, we die, we get to a world of Anime and harem.
Old 2010-05-14, 08:03   Link #2436
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
You may be right, but being convinced it is your god that's responsible for that you claim by faith

I don't hold much 'faith' in the Big Bang theory
but there is even less proof of the existence of a higher being/entity
Now let's for argument's sake believe that there is the possibility (in theory ANYTHING is possible )

Then there is still not enough to claim that that higher being is YOUR preferred diety

If you want to believe in an uncertainty, you may as well believe in death
All of that is a matter of faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So... The Christianity that persecuted heliocentrists, then, who did believe that?
That's the Christianity that's been made up by these people, not the real Christianity. Because the Bible teaches Christians to love, not persecute.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 12:00   Link #2437
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
My point of view on afterlife, we die, we get to a world of Anime and harem.
I can find myself in this.

I don't believe in God and I'm a fervent opponent of most religions out there (especially most of the big ones), but I don't think death is truly the end of the line for my 'consciousness' (or 'soul', if you want to call it that).
Old 2010-05-14, 12:12   Link #2438
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
I guess my illustration failed then.

Okay, how about going directly into the matter:

I say God created the universe. You say the universe came to be when a big explosion scattered matter and energy into space which formed stars, planets, etc. (Substitute as necessary with whatever the current scientific theory is right now.)

Do you see how the second statement is irrelevant to the first statement? The second statement neither confirms nor denies nor has anything to do with the first statement. Just like describing how a cake was made has nothing to do with the statement that someone prepared the cake.
I understand your premise; the truth is I once believed the same thing you're stating. Nonetheless, I've recently been exposed to the idea by some scientists (Daniel Denett for example) that if god exists, he is still within the observations of science. Science isn't anything, really, other than what we can conclude/understand based on phenomena we are capable of detecting. This is why I say perhaps we can take a scientific viewpoint on the 'god question.' Of course, the only answer we have right now is "I don't know."
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 12:26   Link #2439
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
All of that is a matter of faith. That's the Christianity that's been made up by these people, not the real Christianity. Because the Bible teaches Christians to love, not persecute.
You're diluting the word "faith" to cover so much that you're venturing into solipsism. You have "faith" that anything you see, hear, feel, think, or experiment on actually has tangibility using that smeared definition.

"Faith", in order to have any meaning at all, specifically means the belief in something without any tangible evidence. It *feels* true to you. That's not the meaning of science. In science, as an example, the Theory of Relativity holds sway, but the INSTANT a piece of verified evidence refutes it - its going to be toast, thrown out if it can't be modified to incorporate the new information (or like Newtonian physics, held to be still useful for certain domains, just incomplete). Faith does not use that protocol.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-05-14 at 13:25.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 15:10   Link #2440
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
All of that is a matter of faith. That's the Christianity that's been made up by these people, not the real Christianity. Because the Bible teaches Christians to love, not persecute.
Who died and made you the sole authority on what Christianity is? It's not like persecution can't be justified biblically, either. They're "saving souls". Or something like that.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion