AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-03-02, 00:02   Link #11181
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

I mean before the Impulse, Savior, Chaos, Abyss and Gaia have completed, how long have they been making Zaku? Are there enough to cover the whole Army?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 00:13   Link #11182
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
I mean before the Impulse, Savior, Chaos, Abyss and Gaia have completed, how long have they been making Zaku? Are there enough to cover the whole Army?
The Zaku series has become ZAFT's primary mobile suit by C.E. 73, but there are still those who use the GuAIZ R.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 00:18   Link #11183
Skye629

As a note, generally when a military branch, for example lets use the air force, gets a new plane as the mainstay fighter, they will still continue to use older models for many different reasons (such as specializing in certain roles, or being used as training units)

This also applies to MS in the Gundam universes (though some series advance much more rapidly in development than others, while some take a more realistic speed)
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 01:37   Link #11184
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Or they dumped the old suits to some backwater base, like Torrington in UC.

That remind me, where is Zaft's main source of materials? The Moon? Mars?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 02:18   Link #11185
Aquaman OS

The modern air force is a little different. For one, they haven't had a comparable air threat in decades (terrorists in the middle east relying mostly on IEDs and sneak attacks don't exactly have an air force capable of fighting the US air force plane to plane....or really an air force at all.) so they don't really NEED better planes. Which is why they usually stick to the cheaper to operate 80s era fighters for the air support the ground troops need. In fact one of the problems with the F-22 despite its incredible power and utility is that its not worth the cost because nobody the air force engages has the level of threat that would require that kind of fire power.

In a war where both sides regularly have their MS's fight each other a major upgrade can be a big advantage. Which is why they upgrade to Zaku's/Goufs and Windam's and mostly stick with that, outside of the raid on the EA's Requiem, and Durandal's Messiah where they were fieding everything they had including the older stuff.

It's interesting to note that while Zaft still fields all its MS's the EA stopped using the original Strike Daggers completely, despite them being superior to all but the Guaiz. They don't make a single appearance in Destiny outside of flashbacks to Seed.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 02:43   Link #11186
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
The modern air force is a little different. For one, they haven't had a comparable air threat in decades (terrorists in the middle east relying mostly on IEDs and sneak attacks don't exactly have an air force capable of fighting the US air force plane to plane....or really an air force at all.) so they don't really NEED better planes. Which is why they usually stick to the cheaper to operate 80s era fighters for the air support the ground troops need. In fact one of the problems with the F-22 despite its incredible power and utility is that its not worth the cost because nobody the air force engages has the level of threat that would require that kind of fire power.

In a war where both sides regularly have their MS's fight each other a major upgrade can be a big advantage. Which is why they upgrade to Zaku's/Goufs and Windam's and mostly stick with that, outside of the raid on the EA's Requiem, and Durandal's Messiah where they were fieding everything they had including the older stuff.

It's interesting to note that while Zaft still fields all its MS's the EA stopped using the original Strike Daggers completely, despite them being superior to all but the Guaiz. They don't make a single appearance in Destiny outside of flashbacks to Seed.
Like the AWESOME A-10? (favorite war plane ever rofl)

Yeah I know what you mean, im just using a loose example of how they phased older models out, I should have given an example from the cold war era, they had quite a few military changes during that time frame

As for the bolded part of your comment, perhaps they simply just upgraded the units? Like how the EG in 00 simply just upgraded its GNX units to the next stage
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 09:56   Link #11187
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Awww come on, trolling those losers is fun as hell

They fall for the simplest bait ever
Who's "worse", YouTubers, /m/, /r/gundam, or any other mecha-related forums?

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just saying.

As for Lacus's political leanings, her father was a moderate.
Old 2014-03-02, 11:54   Link #11188
Deadpool2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post

I think Youtubers "win" on dedication alone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOu_KBVeIs

That is an hour long.
Deadpool2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 12:00   Link #11189
monster

Now, now, like the man said, he's just being very passionate. Kudos to Destiny for bringing people's passion to the surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
That remind me, where is Zaft's main source of materials? The Moon? Mars?
It was the Earth, and probably still is to some degree.
Old 2014-03-02, 12:07   Link #11190
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
Well they were superior unless some sort of EMP pulse was used then they turned into scrap. The Alliance was also using older model machines the 105 Dagger was developed during the Bloody Valentine War it just wasn't mass produced till afterwards.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 12:21   Link #11191
Deadpool2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It was the Earth, and probably still is to some degree.
That seems silly. One would imagine the asteroid belt is easier, cheaper and safer to reach than anywhere else on Earth...
Old 2014-03-02, 13:13   Link #11192
monster

Yeah, but the sponsor nations tried to limit the PLANTs' independence, although maybe that's just for food.
Old 2014-03-02, 14:25   Link #11193
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool2000 View Post
That seems silly. One would imagine the asteroid belt is easier, cheaper and safer to reach than anywhere else on Earth...
ZAFT conquered quite a bit of the planet and weren't without their allies to begin with. Somehow I think Australia was on their side?
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 15:18   Link #11194
Raso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
ZAFT conquered quite a bit of the planet and weren't without their allies to begin with. Somehow I think Australia was on their side?
Zaft's main earth base was always in Australia.

Anyway though quite a bit of materials did come from asteroids brought in from the belt, a hollowed out one made for a good front line base in Seed before it got nuked.

The naturals on Earth though tried to keep them reliant on them originally in various supplies like food and such as basic blackmail to keep the plants in line making stuff to be shipped to earth. The fact that Zaft grabbed those asteroids and started building hydroponics colonies was one of the big issues the EA had with Zaft before war broke out.... They were becoming self sufficient.
Raso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 23:50   Link #11195
Deadpool2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
I was just talking about how hard it is to reach and drop from orbit. That's a lot of effort (ie money) spent in that. Once you're in space, you're halfway anywhere. Not getting caught in a gravity well would be a considerably wiser choice.

While there would certainly be resources from Earth, minerals in particular should be MUCH easier to reach and far more abundant than anything on Earth.

I would be under the impression that Earth sanctions, by the time Destiny rolls around, are largely pointless.
Old 2014-03-03, 00:02   Link #11196
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool2000 View Post
I would be under the impression that Earth sanctions, by the time Destiny rolls around, are largely pointless.
It's largely pointless the moment the war in SEED started, actually.

And as I thought, food was the only thing that had to be imported from Earth. Everything else was made by the people in the PLANTs through whatever resources they can get. Of course, that doesn't discount getting those resources from Earth, but whatever unclaimed resources they can find outside of Earth are also fair game.

Last edited by monster; 2014-03-03 at 00:20.
Old 2014-03-03, 16:11   Link #11197
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post

As for Lacus's political leanings, her father was a moderate.
The best part is that most of the people hanging on either of those usually hang on all of them. (Disregarding Youtube comments). In the end it doesn't really matter to be honest, none is better than the other.

... Disregarding the YouTubers. THEY SUCK.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 14:58   Link #11198
Washu-Chan