AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-05, 02:10   Link #821
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

Quite surprised when their first reaction after they heard the news that iori is alright, they never rage at heartseed when he appeared.
Old 2012-08-05, 02:15   Link #822
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeofinfinity View Post
Quite surprised when their first reaction after they heard the news that iori is alright, they never rage at heartseed when he appeared.
His kung fu is too strong. Seriously, Godo seems to be an out of shape teacher, but Heartseed can easily beat Yui despite being having prowess in the martial arts herself.
Old 2012-08-05, 02:36   Link #823
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
His kung fu is too strong. Seriously, Godo seems to be an out of shape teacher, but Heartseed can easily beat Yui despite being having prowess in the martial arts herself.
also even if he caused it, he also revealed he had prevented her actual permanent injury. What he did isn't something to be forgiven, but all the same it made it easier to not be as rage induced since they were too busy being relieved she was ok
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 05:15   Link #824
tenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, in my (private) high school, most of the class would have had no problem with the word "sophistry." And this is a private high school, I believe.
I had to look up sophistry to remind myself what that word actually meant; it's been a while since I've seen it being used.

While it's not that important to the overall feel of the dialog (it's just one word), can someone who's more Japanese enabled than me tell us how complex a word 屁理屈 (herikutsu) is (I think that's what I heard)? Is it a pretty commonly known word, or is it more of a complicated word?
tenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 05:15   Link #825
s07195
However,

I liked the episode... it was quite a good adaptation of the final part of the novel.

So, with the fourth arc streaming in Japan only and in BD, I can still be assured it will appear on the internet sooner or later right?
Old 2012-08-05, 05:25   Link #826
Arya

Another very good episode, in the first part Iori got me, I was worried that a swapping-back would have occurred at the very moment of Taichi saying something hurting (hurting because took out of the context, there's no way Taichi would say something hurtful). But instead eheh ... she is smarter than she looks. Anyways I'm glad Iori didn't go for the (over)drama, but Heartseed did instead. Still Heartseed plot device was a bit annoying, I thought, WTF? But after few seconds I came to terms with it
Later on HS question about which soul should have died with Iori's body was a bit silly, I mean, her accident wasn't something any of them should have felt guilty for, to the point to offer him/her self. In that moment Aoki has been very cynical (in a good way) and grow-up even if speaking the obvious. Taichi tryed but not hardly enough and Inaba as usual stepped in. She is always so worried for him. Her white knight persona is stronger than his even if their motivations are not the same. Taichi does it out of selfishness, Inaba probably to keep people distant. And in Taichi case she is unable to deal with her trust issues and Taichi all together.
With all that mess the main romance subplot of the episode was downplayed, I mean, the confession was ruined by HS, but even before it was very plain. And at the end with the body swap it was messed up. Taichi got the confession from Inaba and kissed Inaba. I mean, it's not like Whoopi Goldberg instead of Demi Moore where surely you couldn't be wrong, right? It reminded me of that philosophical monologue Iori-aoki had but I didn't pay much attention to (need to re-watch).
Speaking of which, even in my high school, where we studied philosophy of course, sophism/sophistry was not a big deal of a word. Surely it depend on which kind of school you attend.

Anyways, I have no idea what will happen next, but one thing it's sure, Inaba needs to be loved!!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 05:47   Link #827
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

What does everyone think about the BGM of the show? The ED is very well done and integrates very well to previews of the future episodes as well as the occasion timing overuns, much like Oren-ji in ToraDora, but the BGM in KokoCo seems a little underwhelming to me. There doesn't seem to be one that reaches the poignancy of Lost My Pieces. Maybe I'm just watching it with the volume too low.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 06:27   Link #828
JokerD

I loved the part where Iori was saying her final thoughts to Taichi, expressing her regret that she was going to die. Very well done.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 08:09   Link #829
Blonto

The show did a great job with the swapping itself. When characters were exchanged, they still felt like each other, even when they weren’t acting like themselves. For some lines from the show, I even remembered the character first and the body they were actually in second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, in response to another comment of yours, I love a lot of shoujo. It's shounen shows that I often find myself unable to finish. They seem emotionally unsubtle, with boring series of fights and impossibly capable young heroes. Lol.
Yeah, I can’t stand shounen either for those reasons.
Well, I’m liking the first episode of Chihayafuru, but something like Kokoro Connect is more to my taste. I don’t like romance as the main focus, I prefer when it’s a more subtle part of the characters.

Quote:
I just have say this because quite frankly I can't understand why people would just dismiss her problem/explanation as non-existent "no reason". Sure it may not sound like a big deal (which is entirely the point) compare to the other two girls, but we still have a very solid personality and problem that makes perfect sense. People like that do exist and the problem is just as real as any could get.
A lot of us simply think we could've seen more of it or be given a better explanation (yes, some things just are, but this is a story, which is based on action and consequence). When people act in an unreasonable manner, it's much easier to understand if we also understand what lead them to act that way. I sympathize with her problem, but the way it way shown it made it seem like a no big deal, which to her it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenton View Post
While it's not that important to the overall feel of the dialog (it's just one word), can someone who's more Japanese enabled than me tell us how complex a word 屁理屈 (herikutsu) is (I think that's what I heard)? Is it a pretty commonly known word, or is it more of a complicated word?
I'm curious about this as well.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 08:23   Link #830
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
So, with the fourth arc streaming in Japan only and in BD, I can still be assured it will appear on the internet sooner or later right?
Pretty much similar to the OreImo 'True' Ending, or the last three episodes of Tsubasa Cat from Bakemono.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 09:02   Link #831
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
A lot of us simply think we could've seen more of it or be given a better explanation (yes, some things just are, but this is a story, which is based on action and consequence). When people act in an unreasonable manner, it's much easier to understand if we also understand what lead them to act that way. I sympathize with her problem, but the way it way shown it made it seem like a no big deal, which to her it is.
To me it's more like the writers are making her issues look "easy" to let us underestimate it. They are playing with the misconception that the effect is proportional to the cause, so in Inaba's case, no cause, no effects, I'm generalizing, but sort of.
Now I'm curious to know what will happen next, I wasn't expecting that the body-swap would have ended at all til the end, so I'm clueless and eager to know, why they cut the episode preview

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 09:26   Link #832
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
To me it's more like the writers are making her issues look "easy" to let us underestimate it. They are playing with the misconception that the effect is proportional to the cause, so in Inaba's case, no cause, no effects, I'm generalizing, but sort of.
If it was the writer's intention to make the problems look trivial, then I guess it was a stunning success.

With the possible exception of Yui, I would agree with the sentiment that each character's issues were certainly underplayed. This is a natural reaction since we've had so little material to work with as of yet, aside from a few snippets and exposition.

Of course, there are still several episodes to go, but that is how things stand at the moment.
Old 2012-08-05, 10:26   Link #833
Witch of Uncertainty

This episode was absolutely fantastic. I was so sad when Inori started crying. :'(
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 12:53   Link #834
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
What does everyone think about the BGM of the show? The ED is very well done and integrates very well to previews of the future episodes as well as the occasion timing overuns, much like Oren-ji in ToraDora, but the BGM in KokoCo seems a little underwhelming to me. There doesn't seem to be one that reaches the poignancy of Lost My Pieces. Maybe I'm just watching it with the volume too low.
I usually don't notice BGM, but I really liked it here. I'm not very familiar with music, but I thought it was appropriate in the few scenes where I noticed it (like when Iori got into Aoki for the first time, or when Taichi was Yui and had to hide in the toilet).
Old 2012-08-05, 13:06   Link #835
Ragna92

Fantastic episode, this show is amazing.
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 13:17   Link #836
lansglenn

Was absolutely absorbed in this episode. Before I knew it, the episode had ended WTF I want more!

These characters feel somehow more believable than your average set of highschool kids from other anime.
Old 2012-08-05, 13:55   Link #837
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
An episode where two male protag confess to girls??
When was the last time in anime history this happens??
There might've been a case or two in pre-moe times.
Old 2012-08-05, 14:45   Link #838
asteron
is the unknown factor

Wait so is the body swapping over then?

If so it was way to short. No one was ever really put into a difficult situation where they had to convincingly behave like another person. No one was ever stuck as another person for a significant amount of time.

It didn't even really seem like anyone really bothered to learn enough about eachother to pull off a successful impersonation. I was at least expecting a scene where they are in a study session with flash cards of eachothers' family members.

From Iori's difficulties I thought they were foreshadowing that all the club members would eventually suffer by losing their own identities. In the end they all came out of it more or less unscathed. Pretty lame imo.

I guess the series won't be as serious as I thought. I felt it was building up to something more serious but they basically reset it.
asteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 15:23   Link #839
Blonto

Asteron, I'm with you there. I really wish they made a whole series about body switching because it had so much potential. It would've been great to see something like what you've mentioned with the flashcards or lame attempts at imitating other characters' ways of speaking, or finding out a secret only family members know.
I feel this body-swapping could've been used for so much more character development, and more funny and serious moments, rather than just scratching the surface which wasn't exactly due to the switching. Yes, it started with them finding out about Yui's fear of men because of a switch, but they could've found out about that in lots of different ways. From there on the other two girls simply arranged a meeting with Dr. Taichi and their issues were solved through a long talk session. Sure, the body switching brought a few of those problems to surface, but it wasn't exactly at the core of anything. All these problems could've appeared without it and they were mostly solved without it. Heck, even Yui could've gotten a strong kick to the crotch, since that works on girls too.
The body switching ended up feeling pretty unnecessary. I was hoping Iori's monologue about what it means to be you would be used as a theme, rather than foreshadowing of a heroine's problem that needs solving. I was hoping for deeper and more serious issues surrounding this situation.

Last edited by Blonto; 2012-08-05 at 15:49.
Old 2012-08-05, 17:04   Link #840
Aqua Knight

This show is a brilliant gem in this hot summer!

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life