AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-10-05, 11:17   Link #1
Nd4SpdSe

Finding English (DiC) Sailor Moon Series?

I was wondering if there is a DVD set of the english dubs is the series aired in North America? I can find like teh 10 first episodes and the last episode of Beryl. I was reading that alot of people recommend watching the sub versions of teh original Japanese series, which i would like to watch as well, but the original series is how i got into Sailor Moon, and is nostalgia for me.'
Nd4SpdSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 13:35   Link #2
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

ADV released dub only DVD's for Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R. The Sailor Moon S and SuperS DVD's have both sub and dub on them, those are put out by Geneon. You can probably still find them but you probably better be quick about it before they go out of print.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 14:48   Link #3
rainking187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
ADV released dub only DVD's for Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R.
You mean sub only.
rainking187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 15:57   Link #4
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for. I went on Amazon and found it in about 30 seconds. Just type in Sailor Moon.
But as DrWho pointed out, they are running out FAST.

Maybe you are asking for something else?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 16:47   Link #5
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
I'm not quite sure what you are asking for. I went on Amazon and found it in about 30 seconds. Just type in Sailor Moon.
But as DrWho pointed out, they are running out FAST.

Maybe you are asking for something else?
Amazon lists both the Subbed only and the Dubbed only, it looks like most of t he Dubbed are only available in used.

If you are looking for the uncut box sets of season 1 & 2, "The Right Stuff" has them in stock and on special for $49.99 each, about $85 less than Amazon.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 18:09   Link #6
Nd4SpdSe

I'm specifically looking for the series that was aired on YTV here in Canada

What do they mean when they say "Uncut"?

I'm jsut a bit confised with the titles of the sets, like " Sailor Moon S - The Complete Uncut TV Set" at amazon.com. It sounds like the version i'm looking for, but i wanna make sure
Old 2004-10-05, 18:35   Link #7
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nd4SpdSe
I'm specifically looking for the series that was aired on YTV here in Canada

What do they mean when they say "Uncut"?

I'm jsut a bit confised with the titles of the sets, like " Sailor Moon S - The Complete Uncut TV Set" at amazon.com. It sounds like the version i'm looking for, but i wanna make sure
Uncut mean that they didn't take out any footage. For example, blood and violent scenes not suitable for TV broadcast should still be intact on uncut video, whereas they were removed or editted for TV.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 22:00   Link #8
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

uncut also means it's not the bastardized version they aired on cartoon network (interesting fact: the edits were SO bad it was one of the reasons they never aired the final season, since they changed 2 characters' relationship and they had a rather...intimate...scene in one episode...plus those freakish transexual Star Lights) that had sooooooooo much wrong with it
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 22:31   Link #9
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainking187
You mean sub only.

ADV also released the DiC dub on DVD in dub only format as well as their sub only boxes.

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars has never been shown on TV here in North America in any format.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 23:39   Link #10
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

YTV Used many versions, I can't remember if it was CN's. But most likely it was as YTV doesn't have the budget to buy direct.

You want regular Sailor moon. Sailor moon S and Sailor Moon R are different seasons.

Good luck maybe on ebay, I just checked Suncoast and they are out too.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 22:30   Link #11
Nd4SpdSe

which seasons are which?

I guess the Japanese series went pretty far, but the dubbed series i'm looking for are: (I dont know how many seasons which series had, or the titles to each series)

-Queen Beryl & the Negaverse
-DoomTree with Anne and Alan
-The Negamoon with Catsy, Birdie, Prisma, Avery & Rubeus.

Sorry if i seem out-of-touch with the series, not only has it been a few years, but Sailor Moon is not something I openly admit in being interested in, and limit my exposure to it....it's not something i want to let my friends and familly know, being a 23yr old male, they'd be worried.

I've been been following the live action series, but i haven't watched anything before that since Sailor Moon since it was taken off air years ago. I haven't actually got into any of the manga, neven came across them.
Old 2004-10-06, 22:34   Link #12
problemedchild
ô_ô

-Queen Beryl & the Negaverse
This would be the first season. The original Japanese season had 46 episodes but, DCI cut out about 2 or 3 episodes when they dubbed and aired in on TV so the dubbed version has about 43(?) episodes in total.

-DoomTree with Anne and Alan
-The Negamoon with Catsy, Birdie, Prisma, Avery & Rubeus.

Both of these are in the Sailormoon R season. Note that the DoomTree arc never happened in the manga.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 06:09   Link #13
Willmatic

Send a message via AIM to Willmatic
Sailor Moon Episode Help

Just wondering what are the differences (if any) between the Sailor Moon TV Series DVD Release for USA vs. the Jap. DVD release in regards to editing (cut vs. uncut).

Did US cut any episodes or parts out and which series and episodes were cut. And as to what was actually cut.

Thanks.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-02-07 at 07:01. Reason: Threads merged. Please SEARCH before posting a new thread. It will keep you from annoying the moderators or making yourself look stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Willmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 06:56   Link #14
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There are two entirely different versions of Sailor Moon TV released on DVD in R1. One of them is dubbed and has been horribly cut and edited into something nearly unrecognizable. The other is subbed and virtually indistinguishable from the R2 version.

Pay attention to see if you are purchasing the subbed version or the dubbed version. They are not similar.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 20:49   Link #15
Willmatic

Send a message via AIM to Willmatic
So the ADVFilm Version "UNCUT" boxed sets are the same ones that Aired in Japan 13 years ago?

I wanna see what the Japs. see! Lol

Thanks.
Willmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-06, 03:13   Link #16
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmatic
So the ADVFilm Version "UNCUT" boxed sets are the same ones that Aired in Japan 13 years ago?
You got it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-06, 04:50   Link #17
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Minus some video quality issues (they didn't have very good sources to work with) and a missing episode, of course. (Though the dub isn't as unrecognizeable as you lead people to believe - they might change character names, relationships, and dialogue, but the underlying plot is still there - which is better than what you can say about most mangle-dubs.)

Good luck finding it at this point. I'm probably never going to get a copy of those Geneon boxes of the later seasons >.>
Old 2006-03-06, 12:13   Link #18
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
YTV Used many versions, I can't remember if it was CN's. But most likely it was as YTV doesn't have the budget to buy direct.
YTV buys direct when they can, their budget is more than adequate.

@Nd4SpdSe - if you're looking for exactly what was shown on YTV, look into tracking down the original North American VHS releases. If you just want Sailor Moon, buy the DVD boxsets.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote