AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-18, 16:29   Link #1

In dire need of new anime

Hello

Every other year or so I come on these forums asking for rather specific anime and up till now I've always gotten helpful responses. So in keeping a tradition alive for none other than myself, I now humbly ask for your expert opinions yet again

I've always been more interested in more adult, darker or quirkier anime and that still hasn't changed. I just finished watching Seirei no Moribito and it reminded me just how great anime can be. No action, slow pacing blah blah blah fact of the matter is that this, for me of course, is anime as it's best. A great story with characters that are being given the time to develop in such a way you start caring about them. Of course anime can manifest itself in a variety of ways, this is just one example.

Without ranting too much, I'd just like to give you an idea of what I like and hopefully you guys can help me out further.

Series I liked:

Monster
Paranoia Agent
Lain
Texchnolyze
Berserk (well the manga mainly)
Samurai Champloo
Baccano!
Boogiepop phantom
Mushishi
Kino's Journey
Mononoke
Gungrave
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Detroit Metal City
Trust and Betrayal
Now and then here and there
Small projects like Diary of Tortov Roddle, Cat Soup, Comedy...

Movies I liked:

Mind Game (!!)
Paprika
Akira
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue
Grave of the Fireflies (and other Ghibli movies)
Dead Leaves
Sword of the Stranger
Angel's Egg

There's probably a lot I forgot to mention but I'm getting tired. At any rate, I really hope you guys can help me out, be it new series or old ones I might have missed out on. Thank you very much at an rate.
Old 2010-10-18, 16:58   Link #2
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

If you liked Baccano! then you'll also like Durarara!!, made by the same author.

I'd also recommend Death Note (if you're one of those people who haven't watched it yet), Haibane Renmei, Higashi no Eden, Jigoku Shoujo, Kara no Kyoukai, Tokyo Magntude 8.0, Wolf's Rain, and xxxHOLiC (although the manga is better).
Old 2010-10-18, 17:42   Link #3
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
12 Kingdoms
Old 2010-10-18, 17:47   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As someone who also considers Seirei no Moribito the best of the best, I cannot recommend Sarai-ya Goyou highly enough. It's gorgeous, beautifully written and full of exceptionally complex and interesting characters. The plot is intricate and compelling, too.

It's a less obvious choice, but if you're willing to commit for 64 episodes FMA: Brotherhood is a series that will surprise you. Complex, dark and driven by big ideas, and some of the best action sequences of any series.
Old 2010-10-19, 13:21   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are a few more suggestions:

If you enjoyed Mononoke, I recommend picking up its predecessor, the third arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales called "Bakeneko" or "Goblin Cat." It's a very different version of the story that ends Mononoke, and personally I think it's the best of the Apothecary stories.

There's another anime adapted by Production I.G from a novel by the author of Moribito called Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. This story targets a slightly younger audience than Moribito but has many similar story elements such as the manipulation of creation myths for political advantage.

I'll just list a few other shows you might want to check out:

Cross Game
Dennou Coil
Kure-nai
Bartender
Claymore
Nodame Cantabile
Oh! Edo Rocket
Noein
House of Five Leaves
Natsume Yuujinchou
Ghost Hound
Saiunkoku Monogatari

As for films, Millennium Actress and Summer Wars both rank highly on my list, just behind Miyazaki's Mononoke Hime.

Seconds for Twelve Kingdoms and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-10-19 at 13:31.
Old 2010-10-19, 13:26   Link #6
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

In general, if you're male i recommend Gurren Lagann. Just switch off the science part of your brain.

I also notice you don't have Cowboy Bebop in the list. It has parts where it has hidden depth.

Also Bokurano should suit you if you can handle the premise (and from what you listed, you should).

Others you can try are Millennium Actress and Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East)
Old 2010-10-25, 08:19   Link #7

Thank you for the responses. I already watched House of five leaves and liked it a lot. 12 Kingdoms is next on the list, but I'm not too sure about that one, we'll see I guess. After that Durarara. Ghost Hound and Goblin Cat are looking good, and maybe Tokyo Magnitude. What do you guys think of Gekijouban Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners? I have no idea but it somehow seems intruiging.

At any rate, thank you and should anyone else have more suggestions, please do share them. later
Old 2010-10-25, 11:13   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 View Post
12 Kingdoms is next on the list, but I'm not too sure about that one, we'll see I guess.
You may hate the main character in the first few episodes, but keep going. Things pick up quickly around episode six or so.
Old 2010-10-25, 14:55   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I already watched House of five leaves and liked it a lot. 12 Kingdoms is next on the list, but I'm not too sure about that one, we'll see I guess. After that Durarara. Ghost Hound and Goblin Cat are looking good, and maybe Tokyo Magnitude. What do you guys think of Gekijouban Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners? I have no idea but it somehow seems intruiging.

At any rate, thank you and should anyone else have more suggestions, please do share them. later
Though I didn't mention it in my OP I heartily second Ghost Hound.
Old 2010-10-25, 15:55   Link #10
meko

Your likes seem to be all over the place. I think you need to think about what shows you dislike, why you dislike them, and see what is left from there. A kind of process of elimination, I guess.
Old 2010-10-25, 16:53   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
Your likes seem to be all over the place. I think you need to think about what shows you dislike, why you dislike them, and see what is left from there. A kind of process of elimination, I guess.
I like pretty much every show mentioned in 1930's last post, too. (Lost interest in Durarara!!; might pick it up again now that it's complete). I have eclectic tastes and seek out quality shows without much regard for genres. I like both Monster and School Rumble, for instance, and both Bartender and Dennou Coil.

Anime discussions focus far too much attention on genre.
Old 2010-10-25, 18:24   Link #12

I don't think I should limit myself to certain genres either because in almost every genre there's stuff that I like but also a lot I don't like. As stated previously good anime can manifest itself in a lot of different ways, just like movies, or music. Often you have to plow through a lot of crap to find something noteworthy. It's like The Last Samurai. In itself a pretty forgettable romp but if that were to be your introduction to samurai films it might lead you to Kurosawa's films. Look a bit further still, and you might find Mizoguchi, who's films are also going in different directions, and that might lead you to something else entirely. Just saying, I won't rule out samurai films cause there's a lot of it I wouldn't like you know?

Also, even though it might indeed be as you say a bit all over the place, I do think it's pretty safe to say I like anime that's a bit different. So if people come here to share suggestions that are a bit more obscure and less run of the mill, whatever genre it may be (though probably not romantic comedy lol), then I do think it has it's purpose.

In other words: bump!

Last edited by 1930; 2010-10-25 at 19:01.
Old 2010-10-29, 13:29   Link #13

Just finished watching Ghost Hound and I really liked it a lot. Thank you for the recommendations.
Old 2010-10-29, 20:45   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Soon after Ghost Hound was completed, Shirow and I.G released another show called RD Sennou Chosashitsu, or "Real Drive." It's closer to Shirow's work in GitS than it is to Ghost Hound, though.
Old 2010-10-30, 02:37   Link #15
cerrian

Real Drive is a really nice breath of fresh air in the Slice of Life genre. I also found the fanservice to be teasingly well done.

It sounds like you have the patience for some serious character development. If that is the case then I recommend Book of Bantorra which has an ensemble cast that gets nicely fleshed out. Patience is definitely required here because it initially comes off as confusing as hell but then masterfully starts tying things together.

If you want something short then try out Pale Cacoon which is about a person in the far future who is trying to revive pieces of digital history long lost in historical archive. This is a single episode OAV that was beautifully animated and told a bitter story.
Old 2010-10-30, 04:00   Link #16
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
What do you guys think of Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners?
It written by the same person who wrote Tsukihime and has a lot of similarities. It's a set 7 films, each one about murders that are taking place and having to stop them. It's mostly character driven and the art and animation is stunning. I definitely recommend it.
Old 2010-11-04, 20:06   Link #17
lover90321

anime killing

does anyone know any anime shows with a lot of killing or more importantly zombies like thatshow high school of the dead but without the perveyness
Closed Thread