AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-17, 10:50   Link #81
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Ten plus episodes and only up to five pages of discussion eh? I get the feeling that this series is not getting a lot of love.

I've finally got around to watching the first episode. I loved it instantly. The artwork and designs immediately remind me of grimy, dime-store comic books, which are highly appropriate for the story material. It's pulp horror fiction, not unlike cult classics such as the Swamp Thing or Tales from the Crypt.

I'm a great fan of re-invented "retro" concepts, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the show.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 10:59   Link #82
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well the few that are watching it just aren't a chatty bunch I suspect.

I think that Kitaro is almost a dark hero. He's basically in this for his own survival first which is appropriate since he is the last of his tribe.
Old 2008-03-19, 20:10   Link #83
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've found the stories amusing, especially the episodes with a more satirical flair like episode five. That said, there's a certain lack of depth to the story that makes it less compelling to me than other series. As I wrote above, I find it hard to find a character to sympathize with so I'm less drawn in. I understand and appreciate intellectually the line of analysis Geta puts forth above, but emotionally the show hasn't gripped me so far. I'm still watching though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 03:06   Link #84
orion

It's hard to root for anti-heroes who aren't bishies imo. Look at Lelouch. If he wasn't so good looking for an anime character would people really root for him?

However, ep. 7's resolution was sweet! Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Old 2008-03-21, 07:11   Link #85
Siegel Clyne

Hakaba Kitarou - Kantou TV Ratings for Episodes 1-11

Hakaba Kitarou - Kantou TV Ratings for Episodes 1-10

Average Television Household Audience Ratings in the Kantou Region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

Hakaba Kitarou - 4.8% 4.9% 4.6% 5.1% 5.3% 5.2% 5.0% 4.5% 4.8% 5.8% 2.8% -> 4.80% series average

Episode 11 of Hakaba Kitarou started airing on Fuji TV, Friday, March 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM, 50 minutes later than usual.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 09:37   Link #86
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Let me make an educated guess and the rating for ep 11 were down due to the delay of broadcast time .
Old 2008-03-23, 02:51   Link #87
solomon

I fiinished it, my first show i watched completely raw! Not 100% comprehension but always got a good geist of what was going on.

Lesse not much to say cept it was real fun and unique in a way. Masako Nozawa and Chiako Otsuka are really awesome as Kitarou and NezuOto. The way it was rendered was interesting and Karou Wada's music was nice.

This made for a real fun diversion to look forward to everyweek, has a simple unique charm from the sum of it's parts. It turned out different then expected but was fun it's own right.
Another sucess for Noitamina

Toei did a nice job and Fuji killed in the ratings. Hopefully Toshokan Senso will keep up the ratings juice.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 23:26   Link #88
The Astronot
a mere mortal

I've been a very casual animation follower but now that I'm putting in some effort to follow newer series this particular one seems to be somewhat of a good find. I watched the first episode on YouTubes and the moment the end credits started rolling I was looking for the fansubs.

From what I read it seems that the noitaminA series has had a few other works done by the same maker with different stories but similar styles. I have yet to check out the other series like Mononoke but am I missing anything having not watched them?

Regardless I'm psyched to have run across this series (Hakaba Kitarou) and my thanks go out to all whom have worked on the series so I can enjoy it with the rest of you.

Last edited by The Astronot; 2008-03-27 at 23:45.
The Astronot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 11:41   Link #89
barbapapa
chochopolice

If Kaiba wasn't airing, this would be hands down the best show of early 08.
Funny, creepy, just the right amount of interconnection to keep you hooked.
Old 2008-04-27, 20:22   Link #90
tanetomo

Hakaba Kitarou is awesome anime, imho.
Why fansubbers have dropped this project?
tanetomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 20:30   Link #91
orion

Maybe this is a variant of the Shinbo curse. Hopefully, this is still on at least one fansub group's schedule to complete.
Old 2008-04-27, 23:52   Link #92
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

It seems like every Kitaro anime is cursed to go on unsubbed or unfinished...
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 14:54   Link #93
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Jusy 4 more epsiode I hope they get released soon : (
Old 2008-05-13, 01:05   Link #94
tanetomo

Yep, we already have one more fansubbed episode.
God bless umai funsubs ))

Last edited by tanetomo; 2008-05-13 at 05:48.
tanetomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 09:43   Link #95
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've been browsing around to see if anyone is intending to complete this series. Spoon doesn't have a website according to its AS page; Umai's website is gone; and, digitalpanic's site doesn't include a single mention of either "hakaba" or "kitaro" according to Google.

I put this aside a while back waiting for the subs to complete. Perhaps umai/dp have the last couple of episodes in the hopper, and we'll see another burst of releases as we did in May. I thought the story had gotten more interesting in the later episodes and really now want to see the end.

Although from reading some of the earlier postings, it sounds almost as though fansubbing anything with "Kitaro" in its name is cursed.
Old 2008-06-21, 09:53   Link #96
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Only two episodes more to go, just two : ( I have to agree Kitaro is hexed
Old 2008-07-01, 14:27   Link #97
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Ep 10 is released just one more to go . This day has been good so far first Amatsuki and then Kitaro : )
Old 2008-07-01, 15:22   Link #98
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thanks for the heads up, Geta!

If we look over the past week, I'd add episode 21 of Shion no Ou to that list of recently-released long-awaited episodes as well.
Old 2008-08-04, 04:15   Link #99
sangofe

Hakaba Kitaro, the best anime from last season in my opinion, is finally completely subbed!
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 14:43   Link #100
tyciol
*Artist

This animation looks pretty horrific, and very high quality, surprised haven't heard more about this and randomly stumbled on it.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, horror, noitamina, shounen, supernatural, wierd