AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-03, 13:09   Link #21
Ri_
mangaworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domasai
I can prove you wrong right now with a single 'What If...?' headline:

So, how'd I do?
XD XDDD
... especially the Dr. Tanner bit. Dr. Ken Tanner. XD

For Monster, I am sincerely hoping that a German TV station will buy it and air it here. :B And I wish Tenma to have a Japanese accent.

As for dubs in general... I thought the Cowboy Bebop dub was more fitting than the original Japanese track, due to it's setting and characters and all~
Old 2004-06-03, 13:20   Link #22
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri_
XD XDDD
... especially the Dr. Tanner bit. Dr. Ken Tanner. XD

For Monster, I am sincerely hoping that a German TV station will buy it and air it here. :B And I wish Tenma to have a Japanese accent.

As for dubs in general... I thought the Cowboy Bebop dub was more fitting than the original Japanese track, due to it's setting and characters and all~
I think the english dub of cowboy bebop was much better than the original japanese, probably the only one I'd say that about.
Old 2004-06-04, 10:09   Link #23
Ri_
mangaworm

I just watched some eps of Master Keaton, and the dub... I noticed that Keaton had an American accent, though it should be British. Strikes me kind of odd, as they made effort to give the other characters various accents, which are mostly quite good, though sometimes not too convincing.

Last edited by Ri_; 2004-06-04 at 11:32.
Old 2004-06-15, 02:22   Link #24
Haunted
Not Fruity at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Nein, Nein. Es muß auf Deutsch sein.

It could come off good in a Western dub.
haha, das wäre tatsächlich die coolste Lösung.

on an unrelated sidenote: who else thinks that the voice of Inspector Lunge is horribly miscast (read: while reading the manga, I imagined a totally different voice and now I can't get accustomed to the actual voice used in the anime)
Old 2004-06-15, 21:14   Link #25
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted
haha, das wäre tatsächlich die coolste Lösung.

on an unrelated sidenote: who else thinks that the voice of Inspector Lunge is horribly miscast (read: while reading the manga, I imagined a totally different voice and now I can't get accustomed to the actual voice used in the anime)

I actually think Lunge is one of the better voices next to Nina.
Old 2004-06-15, 21:24   Link #26
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Speaking of Master Keaton, how loyal is the anime to the manga? And anime/manga aside, is it good? It is Urasawa Naoki, right?
Old 2004-06-19, 05:25   Link #27
Ri_
mangaworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Speaking of Master Keaton, how loyal is the anime to the manga? And anime/manga aside, is it good? It is Urasawa Naoki, right?
At least the art of the manga's by Urasawa, story's by someone else... as for comparison between manga and anime, no idea, I never read the manga. I tried to download the scanlated chapters, but for some reason I can't unzip them. -_- But I can tell you that the anime definitely has the Urasawa flair, and as it's by the same studio that did Monster, I am guessing that they are also sticking quite close to the basis.
That aside, yup, it's quite enjoyable. Not as good as the other Urasawa stuff I've seen, it's an episodic series with no big long-running plot, some later episodes I didn't find as good as the earlier ones, but still it's a pleasant series to watch for relaxation. The best thing of it is the character Keaton himself.
Worth a look, if you like Monster.
Old 2004-06-25, 00:52   Link #28
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
The reason each company's dubs sound the same is because each has their own little pool of voice actors they choose from. Of the dubs, I'd say ADV's is the worst. I simply cannot stand any of their casting choices, and I've never enjoyed any of their dubs.

As for getting good voices, actor's union prevents that. I think that anime dubbing is non-union work, so they will 'get in trouble' so to say for doing the dub. Thus, we get the 'actors', or really people who think they can act but cannot. (I simply love hearing about people who want to be 'stars' but haven't taken an acting class in their life!)

I've been trying to cast a Monster fandub, but everyone who's auditioned has either missed the character entirely, or had the voice but couldn't emote worth a flip. I'm about to give up the project since I can't find any good voice actors online. With my other projects, I've been forced to go with a 'they're not what I want, but they'll have to work because there is no one else." I think this is what is happening to our dubs - there's not enough talent out there so they choose the best of the worst.
Old 2008-03-06, 10:31   Link #29
mrsticky005
Banned

god help us if 4kids got Monster. They'd probably replace the opening theme (which in my opinion is just plain awesome. Despite never changing I didn't get sick of it) with some stupid white-boy Monster Rap (Yo Yo! Watz up dawg. YO-han is in the HOWSE.) and then all the guns will be replaced with Nerf toy. In fact there would be so much editing that the entire series would be cut to exactly 1 episode in which nothing happens.
Closed Thread