AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-10-28, 16:37   Link #1
Ryusiangel

Need advice.

I been lurking animesuki thought i should come in here, lately i been so stress lately. I got a weird neck where it hurts almost alot I wanted to be a nurse but now I have change direction and thinking of pursing to be a teacher. But I haven't been to college ever I graduated highschool about 10 years ago. Since I've been researching teachers are getting layoffs and some can't find jobs. I wish i had friends to talk to but they are so busy with other lives most my friends got married and few have kids already. I'm in a relationship not married or children yet. I have an anime addiction too and soon i won't be able to afford anime and that depreses me. I need some excitement and want to be a teacher teach kindergarten and learn science and teach science too thats dual majoring and i'm now scared I won't be smart since I feel like i lost all highschool material.
Old 2012-10-28, 16:48   Link #2
~kurayami~

Age shouldn't have to be a factor in achieving the goals you want to do in life. You permitted media and social standards to influence your actions your at a personal limit. Reaching for stars are good but priorities are what matters the most and you have to choose which is most important to you and will cause a gradual change to a steady advancement.

Entertainment is good but there are times you must take a break and focus on reality, being productive in your actions will always lead to god things and it will personally push yourself towards broader goals in life.

If a teacher is what you want to be but feel insecure I suggest starting with a community college and testing the waters a little bit, won't be long before you're capable of swimming the vast ocean at your leisure.
Old 2012-10-28, 17:17   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusiangel View Post
....now scared I won't be smart since I feel like i lost all highschool material.
You'll never change until you put that feet forward...... Ask you're girlfriend what she thinks.... You're lucky to have a girlfriend dude. Make her your inspiration to pursue your dreams/plans.

I'm a nurse and working as a volunteer and an anime addict.... It's not a barrier actually..... I draw anime girls during the spare time in prescription pads..... and talk about anime with some patients and co workers.... then after work, jump to the desk with socks still on and watch anime inmy netbook....Oh, life...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 17:30   Link #4
james0246

As ~kurayami~ wrote, community college is an amazing tool. Not only can you receive an Associate Degree, you can also get accreditation for becoming a teacher, and if you are above average you can use that experience/transcript to get into college (which you will need in order to become a science teacher (which will definitely get you a job)) and eventually Graduate School.

This is more of a 2-6 year plan, though (Associates to Masters Degree). And Loans are involved (check your state, there are many that offers loans specifically for individuals that wish to become teachers.)

Alternatively, if you have a good transcript already, and you are confident in your writing and social skills, you might be able to apply to Teach For America (If nothing else, I would recommend getting the Associates Degree first then applying to Teach for America). I had a cousin that went through the program after college and she landed a job as a science teacher in Texas making $45,000 a year, and after her 2 year stint the school offered to keep her on and even increased her salary.

And remember, Age is not the factor it used to be. One of my best friends is a 55 year old woman who finally, at age 49, realized her dream of becoming a lawyer. She now works for the DA (of my home district) on Juvenile court. My friend simply had the dedication and will power to keep going and keep trying (and she had a decent credit score before going back to college ).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 17:44   Link #5
Ryusiangel

[QUOTE=GenjiChan;4416301]You'll never change until you put that feet forward...... Ask you're girlfriend what she thinks.... You're lucky to have a girlfriend dude. Make her your inspiration to pursue your dreams/plans.

I'm a nurse and working as a volunteer and an anime addict.... It's not a barrier actually..... I draw anime girls during the spare time in prescription pads..... and talk about anime with some patients and co workers.... then after work, jump to the desk with socks still on and watch anime inmy netbook....Oh, life...[/QUOTE

I'm a girl so i have a boyfriend ^^;
Old 2012-10-28, 17:47   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I'm a girl so i have a boyfriend ^^;
Damn... that's the second time since yesterday.. Sorry....

Uhmm... Are you and you're boyfriend ok???
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 18:06   Link #7
Ryusiangel

yes we are ok he supports me on something i want to do.
Old 2012-10-28, 18:09   Link #8
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

all of this thread is make me depressed. consider i have similar problem .

stay strong myself, stay strong!

anyway back to topic. I have teacher that have similar case with you. she told it took 2-3 years of hard working and study to be teacher. I forget how it went in detail but IIRC she do lot of voluntary work and such to gain experience.

so yeah my advice is not to give up. keep continue to find purpose of your life.

try to remember your personal skill. you experienced at school. maybe that will help you

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 23:11   Link #9
willx
Nyaaan~~

As james0246 wrote, people change careers and find new paths all the time. My fiance is currently going through a career dilemma of her own. She graduated with a MA in Family Studies but has since realized: 1) she's not interested in academic research, 2) has bounced around several jobs that she has just not enjoyed and 3) has come to the realization she doesn't want a "desk job" -- so she's thinking about doing career counselling or clinical psychology work.. Either choice would require respectively 1-year or 2-years of additional schooling.

For me, I'm a Finance major who has worked in banking for the last several years, and personally have toyed with going back to school and doing a JD/MBA.

The most inspiring story I can think of is.. A man I met in university was 64 years old, he was the retired CEO of the British Columbia Pharmacy Association (BC is a province in Canada). He has had several career changes in his life but realized he wanted to go and become a lawyer and work in legal aid. He had terrible grades when he was in college so he had to go back, redo undergraduate courses, take the LSAT, get admitted to Law School .. He graduated 3 years ago, he's 67 now and happily helping under privledged people with legal issues (he also works with several legal non-profits)

People change paths all the time and it's never too late. I would never advise anyone to be reckless based on your household's financial needs, but hesitation for no good reason just makes you end up wasting time.

Spoiler for Random Inspirational Message!:
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 06:16   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I need some excitement and want to be a teacher teach kindergarten and learn science and teach science too thats dual majoring and i'm now scared I won't be smart since I feel like i lost all highschool material.
Get one major first, then see if you can handle a second one...especially on a different sector, as mentioned above. Normally, if your objects of interest are related, you can have courses from your previous degree acknowledged right away, saving you around 3 semesters of studies.

Oh, if you want to be a kindergarten teacher, be prepared! I have one right next to my house and, well...nothing beats waking up to crying children every day...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 14:03   Link #11
Ryusiangel

well i'm thinking pursiing EC-6 Generalist and with a minor in science i'm hoping i could do that =( i just don't want to give up casue of the job outcome and this is what i really want. I'm sure someday I will pursue highschool science as well they have astronomythere and they never had when i was at school. I love astronomy. I'm just hoping i could do all this later on and if they do tutition if i become a full fledge full time teacher.
Old 2012-10-29, 15:54   Link #12
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
well i'm thinking pursiing EC-6 Generalist and with a minor in science i'm hoping i could do that =( i just don't want to give up casue of the job outcome and this is what i really want. I'm sure someday I will pursue highschool science as well they have astronomythere and they never had when i was at school. I love astronomy. I'm just hoping i could do all this later on and if they do tutition if i become a full fledge full time teacher.
Also try to remember that there are a lot of opportunities to work as an instructor, outside of traditional teaching jobs.

For example:

- Working with people who have disabilities to help them learn to live more independently

- Teaching PE or Outdoors Skills(I'm working right now as a forester/trail building instructor)

- Larger museums/zoos that can afford to hire a tour guide (being a tour guide is no joke. I once worked as a tour guide at a big cat haven and you have to be knowledgeable enough to answer a wide range of questions and keep talking for up to an hour without repeating yourself)

-Teaching music or other fine art to students out of your home

-Home or Center-Based Tutoring

-Teaching english in foreign countries (this one is EXTREMELY feasible. If you have a college degree it is very easy to get a job teaching English in East Asia: especially Korea and China, but also Japan and Vietnam)

There are probably a lot more that I'm not thinking of. But don't get caught up in the difficulty of getting a classroom teaching job.

That's not the only option.
Old 2012-10-29, 16:34   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I been lurking animesuki thought i should come in here, lately i been so stress lately. I got a weird neck where it hurts almost alot I wanted to be a nurse but now I have change direction and thinking of pursing to be a teacher. But I haven't been to college ever I graduated highschool about 10 years ago. Since I've been researching teachers are getting layoffs and some can't find jobs. I wish i had friends to talk to but they are so busy with other lives most my friends got married and few have kids already. I'm in a relationship not married or children yet. I have an anime addiction too and soon i won't be able to afford anime and that depreses me. I need some excitement and want to be a teacher teach kindergarten and learn science and teach science too thats dual majoring and i'm now scared I won't be smart since I feel like i lost all highschool material.
there are plenty of people who made it in the tech sector who retire and became teachers in their 50s. So being a bit older isn't a problem however the layoffs and blame on teachers union is a issue through.
Old 2012-10-30, 10:53   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
there are plenty of people who made it in the tech sector who retire and became teachers in their 50s.
Spoiler for Teaching english, saving space:

Quote:
I'm sure someday I will pursue highschool science as well they have astronomythere and they never had when i was at school. I love astronomy. I'm just hoping i could do all this later on and if they do tutition if i become a full fledge full time teacher.
I remember having astronomy as an optional course in high school, but eventually it was abolished despite getting many votes of interest, due to the lack of a teacher for it =/
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 23:04   Link #15
Ryusiangel

I been researching alot this week on teachers some have caught my eye math/science 4-8 teacher well not really highschool but i think 4-8 is good at my level and 2 subjects in one. I'm more worried about not being smart enough for it. I haven't done math in a long time so i forgot how 7th/8th grade math was. I remember in 7th grade i made a cake in science it was for some science thing where you make a cake and put things on it to look like something i forgot. Thats how i first met my b/f when we dated the first time. But i'm srsly hoping that the job market will be available by the time i graduate
Old 2012-10-31, 08:38   Link #16
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
I'm more worried about not being smart enough for it.
Yeah.. I wouldn't worry about that. Very little, outside of rocket science, is "rocket science" (I even met a rocket scientist! He was pretty bright, sort of socially inept though..)

When I was younger and in different circles, I used to be amazed at the level of intelligence of doctors, lawyers, businessmen, scientists, etc.. And then I met them socially, hung out with them .. most of it is not "raw intellect" ..
Old 2012-10-31, 08:45   Link #17
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Yeah.. I wouldn't worry about that. Very little, outside of rocket science, is "rocket science" (I even met a rocket scientist! He was pretty bright, sort of socially inept though..)

When I was younger and in different circles, I used to be amazed at the level of intelligence of doctors, lawyers, businessmen, scientists, etc.. And then I met them socially, hung out with them .. most of it is not "raw intellect" ..
It is called being "acerbic", and it runs mostly by EQ (social adaptability) instead of IQ (raw intellect).

Someone socially inept can also be acerbic too, but it relies more on the raw knowledge and facts stored in the head, rather than being able to say things from through the heart. Such people can be very "brutally honest" in conversations, rather than "polite and methodical" as desired by many listeners out there.

One can't speed read a verbal conversation, hence why people are seen as "socially inept" despite being "rocket scientists"; however, both reading and listening are basic requirements to be considered having "good language skills".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 08:53   Link #18
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Er, right, I'm aware of all that. The social ineptness was sort of a throwaway side comment.

My point again though is that you don't have to be "smart" to do all those things that people necessarily think that you have to be to do. Most people in this world generally aren't so bright to be amazing or awe inspiring. In other words, most people you'll meet, including experts and professionals of all stripes fall in the "fat part" of the bell curve.
Old 2012-10-31, 18:03   Link #19
Ryusiangel

thanks willx I hope you're right that there is no need to be smart. I know i will be working hard though
Old 2012-10-31, 19:07   Link #20
jdennis007

If I may suggest, why not look into teaching biology right now, because you might be able to get some credits towards that from being a nurse. It might be able to help you get a teaching certificate easier, then you could always change fields later on.

BTW you are a nurse already so I don't think you have to worry about your intelligence.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote