AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-06-21, 21:51   Link #1
EvErLaStInG-LiFe
ソウル&

Question Which OS is the Best?

Im going to buy a Custom Computer, but i dont know with Operating System to buy.....
Heres a little description...
HD=480GB
Processor=Reconsidering
Memory=2GB
Graphic=ASUS EN7300LE/HTD/128M
Motherboard=ASUS A8N-VM CSM/NBP
Thats all i know so far....

Last edited by EvErLaStInG-LiFe; 2006-06-22 at 23:08.
EvErLaStInG-LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 22:33   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
What you mean you dont know which OS to buy?
If you are familiar with Windows, Just get Windows XP.
Buy the OEM version should be 140 something.

Unless you are thinking of venturing into Linux... Which can be a little hard for someone new to it.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 22:43   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Well. my first bit of advice is reconsider everything. An athlon fx is a waste of money. Go with an x2, or even a single core athlon 64 instead.
I'd recommend one of the following.
Single core:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103633
dual core:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103735

Notice they're am2. This is for future upgradability. Plus, if you wait about a month, I've heard there will be a significant price drop for amd processors.

Also, it seems you're going cheap on the graphics card and mobo. Spend the savings from not getting an fx series on the other components.
I was considering one of these mobos, but I dont really have the money to build a new system right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127236
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131013
Neither is a great deal more money than the one you're considering, both support sli, and the additional cost will be more than offset by the savings on the processor with enough left over for the video card. I'm a bit behind on video cards though, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Anyway, to answer your initial question, you have a choice between windows xp, the upcoming windows vista, and the various linux builds. I'd recommend getting windows xp, then setting up a dual boot with whatever build of linux catches your eye. If you've never used linux, you can download a live cd version like knoppix, which like the name suggests, doesn't need to be installed, and boots off a cd. *That is the name live cd suggests*
Old 2006-06-21, 22:50   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The best operating system for you rig really depends on what you're planning to do on it. If your intent is gaming (which based on your CPU choice I'd wager is the case), stick to a Windows OS as almost every game currently available is playable on it.

Although, I have to wonder, with such a beast of a processor, why are you going with a GPU that will bottleneck and limit your performance? Cost issues? Wait a bit before deciding, with the upcoming release of the Intel Core 2 (or something like that) there is an expected 50% drop in price on all AMD CPUs.

/me waits on the back order for his Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (AM2) >.>;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 00:26   Link #5
remase2

just a similar question i wonder what is the difference between the different windows OS systems out now ?
Like windows media center and windows xp professional?
remase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 00:59   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I just know someone is going to call me on it for it being too generalized or simplistic but...

Windows XP Home Edition - The toned down and simplified OS. While still, in terms of function and usability, similar to XP Pro, it lacks many of the advanced features and functions that, if used incorrectly, can really screw up a person's PC. Perfect for anyone who just wants to use their PC for general computing.

Windows XP Professional Edition - All the bells and whistles. It is basically the same OS as XP Home but it includes better networking support, functions and, dare I say, user based security.

Windows Media Center - Exactly as the name implies, its meant for media centers or home theatre PCs. The OS is specialized and tweaked for audio/video play back but foresakes many/all of the features from XP Pro and ends up being no better than XP Home.

Remember, this is all just my opinion. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 06:29   Link #7
Sides

You forgot the x64 version ^^.
It is available as oem at the moment or as 120 day trial,
you can download it from microsoft.
However do not expect that all 32bit application run flawlessly,
plus you might run into driver troubles.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 07:44   Link #8
Ending

Quote:
Unless you are thinking of venturing into Linux... Which can be a little hard for someone new to it.
That's what many people seem to think, but they have developed during these years. Both the installation and use should be as easy as on Windows. Personally, I can recommend SuSe10, which is also something my university uses (and finnish military, for that matter).
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 09:57   Link #9
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
That's what many people seem to think, but they have developed during these years. Both the installation and use should be as easy as on Windows. Personally, I can recommend SuSe10, which is also something my university uses (and finnish military, for that matter).
Problem is all the programs that he is used to using wont work at all. He'll have to hunt and search for Linux equivalents. Games wont work, Mplayer will work though its a little limited compared to windows Directshow varients.

Get Windows XP Professional from newegg.com for 140 bucks.
Pretty good deal.

And wait before you buy! Product prices are droping on AMD's processors. Wait till August.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-06-22, 15:16   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
Problem is all the programs that he is used to using wont work at all. He'll have to hunt and search for Linux equivalents. Games wont work, Mplayer will work though its a little limited compared to windows Directshow varients.
Which is why I suggested a dual boot system. He can gradually get more comfortable with linux and switch back to windows for gaming. With 480 gigs of hd space as planned, he can easily spare a few for a linux partition.
Old 2006-06-22, 18:34   Link #11
Ending

What the above said. ATM, Linux should be used mainly for office and Internet use. Games, publishing, and graphics, unfortunately, are out of its reach for the time being. But as a positive side, the projects develope and most SuSe installations are not only free, but open and safer than Wintows rigs. Those who do not want to play their latest "Battlefield 10" or o'le "Counter Strike 1.0 beta" do not really need to spend even that 140 bucks.

Personally, I have taken into liking SuSe simply because when Vista comes, WinXP will soon be dropped out from support. This will include customer-support and security updates. So then you have to pay big bucks of the new OS or jump out cold to a different one. By having a dual-boot machine now, I, at least, will have an option to choose if Vista is worth that 300 bucks they will be charging yearly.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 19:19   Link #12
Kurz

Yes.... However unless he expresses interest into an unfamiliar OS, there is no reason to push Linux.

I bet you he was wondering which verison of XP he should get. Professional is probably the best since its aimed at Corp Environment. Home is like a broken down verison of Pro.

Btw, Microsoft Just dropped their support for Windows 98. He has more than a few years left of Windows XP.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-06-22, 19:20   Link #13
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
What the above said. ATM, Linux should be used mainly for office and Internet use. Games, publishing, and graphics, unfortunately, are out of its reach for the time being. But as a positive side, the projects develope and most SuSe installations are not only free, but open and safer than Wintows rigs. Those who do not want to play their latest "Battlefield 10" or o'le "Counter Strike 1.0 beta" do not really need to spend even that 140 bucks.

Personally, I have taken into liking SuSe simply because when Vista comes, WinXP will soon be dropped out from support. This will include customer-support and security updates. So then you have to pay big bucks of the new OS or jump out cold to a different one. By having a dual-boot machine now, I, at least, will have an option to choose if Vista is worth that 300 bucks they will be charging yearly.
Don't worry, microsoft plans to continue to support xp, well with sp2 at least, for 2 years after vista ships. They will be ending support for sp1 though.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sup...ofsupport.mspx
Old 2006-06-22, 23:05   Link #14
EvErLaStInG-LiFe
ソウル&

Uh... Thank you everyone and especially Kamui4356 for reconsidering which processor to buy too...
I think i might buy Window XP Pro x64 for $95 or Upcoming Window vista for about $120(Pretty cheap because it's my uncle's store) and i reconsiderded about the processor to buy it later since i still need about $150 more... and i decided to change motherboard to ABIT KN9 SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard as Kamui mentioned becuase my uncle has new one thats not sold..... anyways tank you for mentioning the Linux, i might reconsider that too for putting dual boot....
Anywayz,,, Thank You

Last edited by EvErLaStInG-LiFe; 2006-06-22 at 23:17.
EvErLaStInG-LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 23:28   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvErLaStInG-LiFe
Uh... Thank you everyone and especially Kamui4356 for reconsidering which processor to buy too...
Np. The fx series are great processors, but they're overpriced. The same goes for the intel pentium ee series. Unless you have a lot of money to spend, it's better to go with a cheaper alternative and invest the savings in the rest of the system.