AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 31 11.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 5.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 5.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 5.05%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 3.97%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 13 4.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 151 54.51%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-03, 05:37   Link #461
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
How many units will be sold if Endless Eight episodes get sold separately? That is what I'm curious about to know in the coming months.
Old 2009-08-03, 07:30   Link #462
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I actually think that this is how it's going to go down:

When this series is long over and it's time for the DVDs to come out, they're going to package only one E8 episode in them; the very last one of the E8 arc where Kyon manages to stop the time loop. When this happens, the fanbase is going to ask "what about the other E8 episodes?", Kadokawa/KyoAni is going to say something to the effect of,

"What other E8 episodes? The E8 in the DVD is the only one we remember."

Then the most die-hard completist collectors are going to RAEG, and demand K/K release the other E8s on DVD so that they can complete their collection. And K/K is going to dither a while, maybe troll them once or twice for great lulz, but eventually release a special E8 DVD containing the rest of the E8 episodes. Thus by doing so, they would have completed any artistic objectives they might have, successfully pulled off part of the pre-marketing for Disappearance, and made back some money spent on the E8 arc.

Old 2009-08-03, 07:36   Link #463
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I actually think that this is how it's going to go down:

When this series is long over and it's time for the DVDs to come out, they're going to package only one E8 episode in them; the very last one of the E8 arc where Kyon manages to stop the time loop. When this happens, the fanbase is going to ask "what about the other E8 episodes?", Kadokawa/KyoAni is going to say something to the effect of,

"What other E8 episodes? The E8 in the DVD is the only one we remember."

Then the most die-hard completist collectors are going to RAEG, and demand K/K release the other E8s on DVD so that they can complete their collection. And K/K is going to dither a while, maybe troll them once or twice for great lulz, but eventually release a special E8 DVD containing the rest of the E8 episodes. Thus by doing so, they would have completed any artistic objectives they might have, successfully pulled off part of the pre-marketing for Disappearance, and made back some money spent on the E8 arc.

Two things...

1. I honestly don't think that a significant number of people would be raging over many E8 episodes not making the DVDs.

2. It's already been confirmed, IIRC, that there's going to be 8 new DVDs - one for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, one for the last new episode, and 6 for the the 12 episodes inbetween.

Your ideas would probably make for good marketing (well, the best that could be made out of this EE disaster), but it's not going to happen.
Old 2009-08-03, 09:05   Link #464
brocko

You know Ascaloth's idea would be a pretty smart way of going about this imo. In effect they'd be turning what would've been an overlooked product into a highly sort after one. Just by simply slapping a LE sticker on, they can jack up the prices to make up for the non-collectors/non-buyers since it's so "special" and so scarce in numbers.

I can't speak for the rest of us here, but i know for a fact that despite not necessarily agreeing to the decision of having such numerous amounts of E8 episodes, I would've probably bought them all anyway regardless of how they were released (within reason of course). The main reason why I'd do such a thing is for completions sake, so that I'd have a nice complete Haruhi collection that i can treasure since not only is it one of my most loved and favourite series, but also because it was such a large anime phenomenon that i was able to be a part of. Kinda corny yea i know, but Haruhi to me has a kinda sentimental value to it as well.

Now by with-holding those episodes from me, my dear collection would essentially be incomplete thus giving K/K more bargaining power so that when they do finally release these episodes, they're able to milk much more moolah out of poor suckers such as myself for all that we're worth lol =P

Thinking back upon it one more time, i guess if they really did wanted to maximise profits, it'd probably be best if they forced everyone to buy the E8 episodes whether they wanted to or not by spreading E8 out across all the DVD's. Then again they'd have to deal with the extra fan resentment created and i think they've already got enough of that on their plates already. It's about time it started going the other way now don't you think?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2009-08-03, 09:23   Link #465
Arrnea
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2. It's already been confirmed, IIRC, that there's going to be 8 new DVDs - one for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, one for the last new episode, and 6 for the the 12 episodes inbetween.
If you're referring to the Japanese listing for the new DVD volumes, much of that list was 2ch speculation, at least iirc. Only the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody volume actually had it's volume title confirmed.
Old 2009-08-03, 10:11   Link #466
OkamiNoKaze

That idea sort of works, but the original volume should have two E8 episodes, The first where nothing happens, then the concluding episode.
Old 2009-08-03, 10:22   Link #467
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrnea View Post
If you're referring to the Japanese listing for the new DVD volumes, much of that list was 2ch speculation, at least iirc. Only the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody volume actually had it's volume title confirmed.
KyoAni has the second DVD listed on their Haruhi site. It is indeed following that speculated listing.
Old 2009-08-03, 10:31   Link #468
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
KyoAni has the second DVD listed on their Haruhi site. It is indeed following that speculated listing.
Not quite yet. It does not list which episodes are included on the disc on any site yet.
Old 2009-08-03, 10:36   Link #469
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Not quite yet. It does not list which episodes are included on the disc on any site yet.
True, but didn't you point out in another thread that it comes with that box? Since I'm already 100% positive Endless Eight ends at eight episodes, that Endless Box just helps confirm my speculations about TMoHS (2009).
Old 2009-08-03, 12:39   Link #470
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I can't speak for the rest of us here, but i know for a fact that despite not necessarily agreeing to the decision of having such numerous amounts of E8 episodes, I would've probably bought them all anyway regardless of how they were released (within reason of course). The main reason why I'd do such a thing is for completions sake, so that I'd have a nice complete Haruhi collection that i can treasure since not only is it one of my most loved and favourite series, but also because it was such a large anime phenomenon that i was able to be a part of. Kinda corny yea i know, but Haruhi to me has a kinda sentimental value to it as well.

Now by with-holding those episodes from me, my dear collection would essentially be incomplete thus giving K/K more bargaining power so that when they do finally release these episodes, they're able to milk much more moolah out of poor suckers such as myself for all that we're worth lol =P
Not to be rude (okay, maybe to be a little rude but just a little), you are the reason they thought they could get away with this in the first place.
Old 2009-08-03, 12:58   Link #471
mokuseimaru

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is the place for it, but there's an update on the Japanese Haruhi site of the column journal thing wherein last week there was a bit of response from Kyoani to the near universal Endless Eight rage. So I was just wondering if there was anything new of the sort there now if anyone can read Japanese:

http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/haruhi/diary/index.html
Old 2009-08-03, 13:02   Link #472
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuseimaru View Post
Oh, and I'm not sure if this is the place for it, but there's an update on the Japanese Haruhi site of the column journal thing wherein last week there was a bit of response from Kyoani to the near universal Endless Eight rage. So I was just wondering if there was anything new of the sort there now if anyone can read Japanese:

http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/haruhi/diary/index.html
Spoiler for Google Translation:

tl;dr fail
Old 2009-08-03, 13:06   Link #473
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
You know Ascaloth's idea would be a pretty smart way of going about this imo. In effect they'd be turning what would've been an overlooked product into a highly sort after one. Just by simply slapping a LE sticker on, they can jack up the prices to make up for the non-collectors/non-buyers since it's so "special" and so scarce in numbers.

Thinking back upon it one more time, i guess if they really did wanted to maximise profits, it'd probably be best if they forced everyone to buy the E8 episodes whether they wanted to or not by spreading E8 out across all the DVD's. Then again they'd have to deal with the extra fan resentment created and i think they've already got enough of that on their plates already. It's about time it started going the other way now don't you think?

I have to admit that I feel a bit like mokuseimaru after reading this.

Here's a suggestion if you're a die-hard completionist but you know that you're currently being milked and trolled by the makers of what you love... Wait until the full, complete anthology comes out (i.e. a box set of everything), because it almost certainly will. You'll get your full collection but you won't be rewarding trollish behavior on the part of companies either.
Old 2009-08-03, 14:17   Link #474
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Probably pretty much guarantees R1 purchasers will wait for the thin-pak and woe unto the R1 licensee who tries to release the "4/disk" collection individually.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:39   Link #475
Midonin
Last Engage

Since US releases are usually four episodes to a volume, the complete Endless Eight collection would be split across two DVDs at best. A little bit more manageable. Both would be needed, of course, since the initial loop would be on the first and the final one on the second.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:29   Link #476
bayoab

Quote:
True, but didn't you point out in another thread that it comes with that box? Since I'm already 100% positive Endless Eight ends at eight episodes, that Endless Box just helps confirm my speculations about TMoHS (2009).
Right, but nowhere does it say what episodes are on that disc or what the box is for. It just says a box that holds 4 discs. It could just be a trap to get people to buy E8 and a second box will be coming with vol 5 (end of E8). With that odd 3/13ths insert (okay its clearly meant to be 3/14ths ) and what not, they clearly aren't just going to do this simply.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:43   Link #477
Silvanoshei
ぜんぴょう☆

I hope KyoAni is reflecting on their poor choice of direction with Haruhi... EE = Worst Idea Ever. Never been this digusted with a Kyo animation before.. MAN TEARS are coming out... how could... *shivers like a used whore*
Old 2009-08-03, 16:45   Link #478
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I honestly don't think there intention is to trick people. As I look into what's been going on these past few years and look at what's going on now, it's slowly adding up that this whole thing is one calculated relaunch of the franchise. Eight episodes of Endless Eight is simply an idea that was heavily discussed and in the end it was decided upon. I don't think they intended to make people mad (although they probably knew it was a possibility) and this was more of a calculated risk. They felt the risk was worth the chance to do something that wouldn't be possible for almost any other franchise.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:50   Link #479
Akka

Quote:
Eight episodes of Endless Eight is simply an idea that was heavily discussed and in the end it was decided upon. I don't think they intended to make people mad
Honestly, being stupid enough to not see right from the start how ludicrous it is to do such a trick, is about as worrying than trying to directly make the fanbase mad.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:00   Link #480
Triple_R
*Author

I hate the Endless Eight arc concept as much as almost anybody, but I'm going to throw this out there just in the effort of trying to understand what could possibly make KyoAni and/or Kadokawa try something as reckless as this...

IIRC, Haruhi's new episodes air during really late hours in Japan. In fact, IIRC, somebody compared them to middle-of-the-night infomercials - ratings weren't important at all; selling merchandise connected to the show is all that counts.

Well, maybe KyoAni/Kadokawa simply sees these new Haruhi episodes as nothing more than glorified commercials for their DVDs. And as we know, you'll frequently get the same identical commercial running for months at a time...

Of course, this overlooks the fact that most people wouldn't be too keen on buying the same basic narrative in several separate DVDs. However, perhaps KyoAni/Kadokawa simply didn't think that far ahead...
Closed Thread