AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-09-11, 22:55   Link #701
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethis_sg View Post
I did soak it in a detergent that actually can remove primer off resin for about a day to get as much of the mold release off. The stuff eats chrome as well. Is this enough to dissolve the mold release?
That should be strong enough to remove mold release. So did it remove the paint and primer or just the paint when you lifted the tape?
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 23:43   Link #702
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Both. It was interesting to note that the primer seems as though it just dried on the resin and not bitten into the resin. I understand that there are different kinds of lacquer thinner in the market. Would using, say AAA grade industrial thinner be any different from thinning with Mr Colour Thinner?
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-12, 01:19   Link #703
GameraBaenre

I found that industrial thinner is much stronger than mr color thinner and can cause damage to plastic. I use industrial thinner to clean my airbrush and tools, but not to thin paints.

Ok, next question. How long did you let the primer sit before painting the next color, and also how long did you wait after you painted the color before you masked? I usually let the primer sit for a full 24 hours before going on to spray on paint. Then wait another full 24 hours before masking. This is with using lacquer paints. For enamel and acrylic, I would need to wait even longer.
Old 2007-09-14, 03:10   Link #704
GameraBaenre

Earlier this week, I sprayed on the lighter shade of skin tone for some shading. After this, progress pretty much slowed way the heck down. Progres is taking a little bit because I want to apply a tattoo; which adds a couple of days worth of cure times into the equation. After the lighter skin tone dried, I sprayed on a layer of future floor polish to help facilitate the decal adhesion. Had to spray all the skin parts to keep the tone consistant. Then applied the decal, decal softener, and another layer of future floor polish. Another day passes and I was able to spray on the flat coat, which happened tonight.

I did however, get to finish painting, masking, more painting, and finally clear coating the weapon parts.

My usual tatoo :lol:
Old 2007-09-15, 10:59   Link #705
ronaldhw
Otaku

limited edition black dress asuka so happy that I got her

you can see more pictures in my blog
ronaldhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 19:02   Link #706
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
ronaldhw -pretty nice, but it's not for me. I'm not too much of an Asuka fan ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 19:25   Link #707
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

Here's shots of my currently limited collection. But if you want to talk about making guests nervous when they first walk in the house...
I'm a bit miffed at the quality of the Mikuru figure though. It only stood up for about a week. Then I braced the floating knee with an acrylic rod. It still falls down on 85+ degree days. Chii, however, stands tall to this day without anything special. That's okay though... I like Chii better.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 03:39   Link #708
GameraBaenre

First half of the build gathering saw most of Midori masked and painted. For the hair, I painted the base color with wine red, then shaded with russet. Then I applied a gloss clear coat to seal and protect the paint. Today I got to applying the filter/fade to add some tonal variance to the hair.
Before and after pictures:

To see the entire process from start to finish for the hair, go here: http://gamerabaenre.com/midori_prog.htm

She's almost done:

Old 2007-09-20, 18:12   Link #709
Garet Jax

I've seen you post several of these, Gamera, and I just have to say I respect your skills and dedication. I wouldn't have nearly enough of either to put those kits together.

Anyone have experience with more dynamically posed figures? I've been hoping for a Nadie one (El Cazador de le Bruja) and I've found this: http://www.alter-web.jp/figure/08/01_2/index.html
But with only one leg for support... Wouldn't the weight cause leaning, or even bending?
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 00:37   Link #710
LynnieS

I would imagine that having only 1 peg to support the entire figure would cause some leaning - if not immediately, then by a day or two. Its center of balance must be well-calculated, IMHO, to be able to be supported like that, and it's a mass-produced figure.

I've seen a resin model (by MERSA) that has the figure curved in a v-shape (with her back arched), but the center of gravity is still in the middle or so; the base is also heavy and gives a lot of support. Alter's looks like Nadie is throwing herself sideways (with some arching of her back) while shooting, which is very nice, but the weight doesn't look like it's mainly over her left leg. Maybe there's more mass added to her left leg or the peg is longer than usual? The peg has a slight bent to it, and from the bottom-rightmost image, looks like it could be longer.

It's certainly a very nice-looking figure, though.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 04:13   Link #711
GameraBaenre

Last update before I take final pictures. Today I finished up all the small detail painting on the leg piece and the head. I painted the eyes. I start with a mechanical pencil and draw in the eyes. Once I'm satisfied with the eyes, I trace over that with a rapidograph technical pen.

Once that dries, I can apply the enamel paints for the eye color. I did a couple of shades of green for different highlights.

I then used the mechanical pencil to draw in the eyebrows. Most kits have the eye brows molded in, but this one didn't so I had to draw them in. After drawing them, I used the final hair tone to paint in the eyebrows.

Once this all dried, I was able to dab on a little future floor polish for a final gloss clear coat over the eyes, giving them a wet look to them.

Once everything dries, I'll put her together and take some final pictures.
Old 2007-09-21, 14:38   Link #712
GameraBaenre

And after a night's sleep..
She's done: http://gamerabaenre.com/midori.htm
Old 2007-09-21, 15:52   Link #713
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
*whistles* Very nicely done. I admire the time and dedication you put into this. Good job! ^^

Makes me want to try one of these kits, but I'm scared of screwing up something so detailed and expensive, or at least failing to do it justice. Must find a way to practice first. @_@
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 13:14   Link #714
Garet Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
I would imagine that having only 1 peg to support the entire figure would cause some leaning - if not immediately, then by a day or two. Its center of balance must be well-calculated, IMHO, to be able to be supported like that, and it's a mass-produced figure.

I've seen a resin model (by MERSA) that has the figure curved in a v-shape (with her back arched), but the center of gravity is still in the middle or so; the base is also heavy and gives a lot of support. Alter's looks like Nadie is throwing herself sideways (with some arching of her back) while shooting, which is very nice, but the weight doesn't look like it's mainly over her left leg. Maybe there's more mass added to her left leg or the peg is longer than usual? The peg has a slight bent to it, and from the bottom-rightmost image, looks like it could be longer.

It's certainly a very nice-looking figure, though.
You'd think they'd test things like that, wouldn't you? I'd just add a peg to the second leg. It would still look nice and it's a good sight better than having it fall over! I may wait a bit and see if another figure comes out from another company. Some characters seem to get multiple offerings, so there may be one that's more grounded.
Old 2007-09-22, 13:28   Link #715
LynnieS

True; I have a "Lacus Clyne" RAH DX figure (Sample picture from Yahoo Japan), and even though it's nowhere near that degree, they still put a supporting rod on its right leg. One main difference, though, is that for the RAH DX figure, its left leg is snapped into place with a triangular piece of plastic into the foot only; the Alter figure is supported with a steel(?) rod in the right foot/leg. If the rod is long enough (and the plastic strong enough also, I guess), it might be doable. I'll still want to put a second rod on the left side just in case, though. It's too nice a figure to have it bent or ruined if the rod or leg gives way.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 02:07   Link #716
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
True; I have a "Lacus Clyne" RAH DX figure (Sample picture from Yahoo Japan), and even though it's nowhere near that degree, they still put a supporting rod on its right leg. One main difference, though, is that for the RAH DX figure, its left leg is snapped into place with a triangular piece of plastic into the foot only; the Alter figure is supported with a steel(?) rod in the right foot/leg. If the rod is long enough (and the plastic strong enough also, I guess), it might be doable. I'll still want to put a second rod on the left side just in case, though. It's too nice a figure to have it bent or ruined if the rod or leg gives way.
Bah... enough Gundam Seed for life ^_^.

Just got these at the Convention today.

Gin-iro no Olynssis Tea PVC Figure - her boots are actually sky blue and not light blue or white like the Stock Photo looks like. The only weird thing about his PVC was her pose, not many would even pose like that, which each arms over each other like that.

Da Capo II: Otome Asakura 1/8 Scale PVC Statue
It looks better in person, cause I would've never bought it just looking at the stock photos.

GameraBaenre - I'm not good enough to ever do one of those ^_^. Me and my cousin bought one, but have yet to finish painting her >.< (ughhh, it's just as aggravating as extracting images in photoshop and doing those 3D puzzle for the Sears Tower, which I can only finish the base and the top ^_^)

ps: GameraBaenre - Have you tried to make your own resin Figure or do you only do premade resins only?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 10:16   Link #717
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Hi guys. The other day I saw some images of some Suzumiya Haruhi and Nagato Yuki figurines. Actually, they're more like dolls, with jointed limbs and real fabric clothing. I'm wondering what was the name of the manufacturer, does anyone have a clue?
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 13:54   Link #718
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
GameraBaenre - I'm not good enough to ever do one of those ^_^. Me and my cousin bought one, but have yet to finish painting her >.< (ughhh, it's just as aggravating as extracting images in photoshop and doing those 3D puzzle for the Sears Tower, which I can only finish the base and the top ^_^)
I only recently got into figure building. 11th figure to date, not counting the duplicates I've built. You just need to sit down and hammer through it, the more you build, the better you get

Quote:
ps: GameraBaenre - Have you tried to make your own resin Figure or do you only do premade resins only?
I've only built kits. I haven't scratch built any figure nor sculpted anything. I'm still a noob with resin figure kits. Maybe when I get better I'll try my hand at sculpting
Old 2007-09-25, 16:23   Link #719
Garet Jax

Quote:
I'm still doubtful as to the stability of Nadie, but I decided to get it anyway. Worst comes to worst, I can prop it up with something, or try to rig up a support rod myself.

I got my first large figures yesterday: Alter's Ignis, Griffon's Kanu Unchou with huge spear, and the Clayz Ryomou Shimei. I hope it was only a coincidence, but shortly after opening them, I started to feel very slightly unwell. I could smell paint (or something else) from them; not strongly, but still apparent. *lead/toxic fumes paranoia ensues*
Old 2007-09-25, 19:59   Link #720
hideFan

Im really proud of that Selena figure... Even if I didnt paint it XD
hideFan is offline   Reply With Quote