AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-10-12, 03:06   Link #1221
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'll say those rumors are pretty much fake period, just after issue 49 is when we should be hearing about the first cuts... Also I think some rankings need to be put into perspective.. like here's last weeks ranked series that finished higher than Medaka.

Bleach, One Piece, Gintama, Sket Dance, Inumaru Dashi, Beelzebub, Kochikame, Toriko, Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, Wasshoi! Waji Mania

Aside from WajiMania and maybe Psyren.. Medaka really shouldn't be outranking any of those series on a consistent basis. You can call it an excuse but it's common sense. Unless it's a smash hit like Beelzebub it's not going to make much of an impact. At best it's going to claw it's way above other new series.. like Akaboshi, Kagijin, Kuroko, Ane Doki, Wajimania and in the next two weeks Hokenshitsu no Shinigami and Lilienthal will join that bottom 5 scramble.

Kuroko's safe though since every time it hits the bottom 5 it gets a color page lol.

2009-47 Bottom 6
Sket Dance
Gintama
Medaka
Psyren
Akaboshi
Kagijin

Even ignoring the rumor Akaboshi and Kagijin are more than likely the next two going to get cut, Kagijin has been a complete flop and Medaka has outranked Akaboshi the majority of times.

Also lol @ Gintama and Sket Dance being #3 and #4 respectively last week and being 5th and 6th last this week. Yoyo much? I guess this is what happens when Kuroko gets a free pass with so many color pages which are unranked.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 03:38   Link #1222
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
Yeah... I know, I should of said half of the 13.

Just noticed something, did Medaka just refuse a request from the sugguestion box? I thought she wouldn't refuse any request... guess that ain't totally true.
I thought the request was to throw some dice for him.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 04:09   Link #1223
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Yeah, the request was to meet with him. Everything else was personal requests. Medaka IS a hypocrite (see the uniform thing), but she's not this time.
Old 2009-10-12, 07:52   Link #1224
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I think it's too bad this manga didn't start in a magazine that was more appropriate for the original concept. I'm sure everyone, the fans and the mangaka, would have preferred to see the story as it continued to develop towards that goal. Oh well. I think the mangaka is doing a good job of fitting what he had to what the readers of the magazine like. Hopefully it won't get canceled. I'd love to see the mangaka get a good feel for the genre and have some of the original elements of the story return to the scene.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 15:21   Link #1225
Napoleon's Hat

I actually liked the character of Medaka, as well as the student council members. It was funny to read about how her perfection worked against her, yet still see her win. It was also funny to see how she utilized the personalities of the not-so-perfect people around her, and how the student council members reacted to having such a person around. The personalities made them fun to read.

Then she started fighting the stock shounen villain (The enforcer midget), and it was all uninspired and boring.Now in chapter 22 we're introduced to all the different bosses, and it went from being a fun school comedy to a dull battle manga full of generic characters and Bleach rejects.

I hope it gets a mercy killing so the author can start again in a more suitable magazine and sticks to the original vision.
Napoleon's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 06:03   Link #1226
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Nishioshin probably met Kubo at a bar one day and became drinking buddy.

Nishi: Hey Kubo, nice seeing you.
Kubo: Yo, how's it going with your manga?
Nishi: Not so great man, the ratings aren't doing very well. I wonder what I did wrong. I thought a strong-headed heroine would appeal to the SJ audience. At least, that's how it has been with my novels.
Kubo: You obviously are a smart man Nishi, but there's something that's preventing it from becoming an awesome manga - like mine.
Nishi: Oh... what is it? I'd like to hear it.
Kubo: 13.
Nishi: What??
Kubo: It's something you have to think about yourself. 13... a magic number... just like the Gotei 13.
Nishi: You mean, I should start having fights in my manga?
Kubo: Yes of course, and lots of it. And I mean LOTS, that's what I have been doing the last couple of years for Bleach, you know.
Nishi: Fights? Then what about plot?
Kubo: Plot? Screw the plot. When all else fails, I go plotkai.

Last edited by Mizuno; 2009-10-13 at 06:20.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 06:28   Link #1227
Dragon TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post

Nishi: Not so great man, the ratings aren't doing very well. I wonder what I did wrong. I thought a strong-headed heroine would appeal to the SJ audience. At least, that's how it has been with my novels.
Kubo: You obviously are a smart man Nishi, but there's something that's preventing it from becoming an awesome manga - like mine.
Kubo: It's something you have to think about yourself. 13... a magic number... just like the Gotei 13.
Kubo: Yes of course, and lots of it. And I mean LOTS, that's what I have been doing the last couple of years for Bleach, you know.
Oh man you gave me a good laugh.

Credit goes to Tjaard for avatar and sig.
Dragon TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 10:20   Link #1228
Wrath88
Kissing...

PLOT KAI!!! ROFL... That is one of the best things I've heard about Kubo's work so far.

To be honest, I'd be interested if the series mixed some things together. Like having the 13 be involved in one of the box requests.

Who wants to see Medaka do yuri kiss with that girl from the 13?
Old 2009-10-13, 20:16   Link #1229
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post

LOL PLOT-KAI!

cookie for you!

This somehow sems like it could very well be the truth!
Old 2009-10-14, 03:25   Link #1230
Homura7

The joke is fun (and old), but please, don't put that author who is known by the great reputation his works have given him with the failure that is Kubo

As for the rest, I don't understand the complainers. Did you really believed this would be a manga about generic comedy/romance/school life? To me it's clear Medaka Box would be an action/comedy/with a bit of romance from the very beggining. It's not because it's being serialized in Jump, but there are enough proofs.

For example, the heroine's name: Medaka Kurokami. Kurokami means "black goddess", and that's a clear reference to her 4th trump card, the Perses mode.

Not to mention, Zenkichi almost told Kikaijima about that trump card IN CHAPTER 13.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/13/15/

Add to that:

http://media.onemanga.com/mangas/000...0186582/06.jpg

Pff, how could a manga with such abnormal heroine and with such strange little hungry girl who is non other than the chairman's grandaughter, couldn't have action.

And that's all thats needed for me. Maybe I enjoy it because I never got fooled by the one-shot in the first place. As for you guys, if you want to believe this turned into a battle manga all of a sudden, then fine, I'm not going to force, believe whatever you want. As for me, I'm going to believe what my points tell, and given the mangaka's great reputation with his previous works and the fact he only has to write the plot while the draw is in the illustrator's hands, well, I think that's all is need to say.

Just in case you didn't noticed, I'm a reader who likes to read any manga that interest me carefully, and I specially like to pay attention at all de details, not just the big ones, but the minor ones too.

To finish, all this people that write just to complain and trash the thread, please, stop. There's plenty of mangas of the genres you like, so don't do that.

Sorry if my english is bad. I will give my overall thoughts about Medaka Box and it's latest developments later. Hace a nice day
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 06:13   Link #1231
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
As for the rest, I don't understand the complainers. Did you really believed this would be a manga about generic comedy/romance/school life? To me it's clear Medaka Box would be an action/comedy/with a bit of romance from the very beggining. It's not because it's being serialized in Jump, but there are enough proofs.

For example, the heroine's name: Medaka Kurokami. Kurokami means "black goddess", and that's a clear reference to her 4th trump card, the Perses mode.

Not to mention, Zenkichi almost told Kikaijima about that trump card IN CHAPTER 13.
If you've expected from the beggining that it will be a battle manga with human shaped monsters (class 13), you're a prophet. I don't know what others expected, but I've expected action and fights since 1st chapter. Just I've expecting fights like in Yanke-kun to Megane-chan or Angel Densetsu. Kid killing people because they're playing music too loud, or girl in maid clothes attacking another student with iron ball used to destroy buildings doesn't fit that description.
Many posters here believe that Medaka Box plot changed after Akune arc. So chapter 13 or later aren't a good example. There is many post proving that beliefs, read them please. Or try to explain me role of Zenkichi, Akune and that girl from swimming team. What they could do except to appear from time to time just to say to us - readers, how Medaka feels. Do you truly believe that Zen or Akune has any chances fighting against any member of class 13? They will be killed not only because those freaks are able to kill a human, they are also allowed to kill any student.

Quote:
Pff, how could a manga with such abnormal heroine and with such strange little hungry girl who is non other than the chairman's grandaughter, couldn't have action.
Since when you know that Shiranui is chairman's granddaughter?

Quote:
Maybe I enjoy it because I never got fooled by the one-shot in the first place.
Yeah, you're right, I was fooled by oneshot and a few first chapters.

Quote:
given the mangaka's great reputation with his previous works and the fact he only has to write the plot while the draw is in the illustrator's hands, well, I think that's all is need to say.
As I've heard all earlier manga written by Nisioisin were a complete failure. His novels are popular, but good novel writter is not neccesary a good script writter.

Quote:
Just in case you didn't noticed, I'm a reader who likes to read any manga that interest me carefully, and I specially like to pay attention at all de details, not just the big ones, but the minor ones too.
Maybe you should read post by most "hardcore complainers" like KLGchaos, Darknemo2000, myself and a few others, not only in this topic, but on other topics and forums as well. All those people reads mangas and novels carefully, are interested in every fine detail of a story. And that's the reason for our complains, we require from authors to treat his readers as inteligent people, not as group of morons. It's possible that we are complaining because it's not a manga for us - age of all mentioned posters are far above age of standard shounen readers, but a lot of younger posters, Jourdal for example, are still teenagers, yet they're complaining about the same failures in MB. In a way I'm envy of Mentar, who is older than me, but still could enjoy silly plot in manga. So far I'm only able to enjoy silly plot in films, not in books or comics...

Quote:
To finish, all this people that write just to complain and trash the thread, please, stop. There's plenty of mangas of the genres you like, so don't do that.
Did you mean, that people could post here only if they agree with you? You have a strange definition of freedom of speach. On the other hand, you're not an exception.

Quote:
Sorry if my english is bad. I will give my overall thoughts about Medaka Box and it's latest developments later. Hace a nice day
Your's english is still better than mine, so you don't have to excuse And I'd like to read a post from Medaka Box fan with come valid arguments. So far almost every post from MB fan was argumented like: Medaka Box is a great manga, because it's a great manga (or is written by great author), or Medaka Box is great because girls in it are cute and hot (for me girls in this or any other manga are just drawings, but maybe I'm strange, I prefer real girls over "2d waifu" :P).

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 08:37   Link #1232
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
I don't know what others expected, but I've expected action and fights since 1st chapter. Just I've expecting fights like in Yanke-kun to Megane-chan or Angel Densetsu. Kid killing people because they're playing music too loud, or girl in maid clothes attacking another student with iron ball used to destroy buildings doesn't fit that description.
Many posters here believe that Medaka Box plot changed after Akune arc. So chapter 13 or later aren't a good example. There is many post proving that beliefs, read them please. Or try to explain me role of Zenkichi, Akune and that girl from swimming team. What they could do except to appear from time to time just to say to us - readers, how Medaka feels. Do you truly believe that Zen or Akune has any chances fighting against any member of class 13? They will be killed not only because those freaks are able to kill a human, they are also allowed to kill any student.
At first it lacked plot with just solving jobs, but now there's at least and indication of real plot.

Yes, I think they have chances, or as it's said, David beats Goliath. Specially Zenkichi. His role is big as it had already been foreshadowed in the first chapter. The main character is fated to do really big tasks. I'll explain why just if you want.

Quote:
If you've expected from the beggining that it will be a battle manga with human shaped monsters (class 13), you're a prophet.
Medaka herself is abnormal and began to show her feats with the speed in chapter 2, so I can't say that caught me by surprise.

By the way, number 13 is really overused. Take KH Organization XIII as an example.

Quote:
Since when you know that Shiranui is chairman's granddaughter?
Of course I didn't know that, but I did know that girl was really suspicious since the first time I saw her.

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, I was fooled by oneshot and a few first chapters.
Not even Neuro one-shot fooled me, nor one-shots from other manga

Quote:
As I've heard all earlier manga written by Nisioisin were a complete failure. His novels are popular, but good novel writter is not neccesary a good script writter.
Well, now he's writing another novel made with illustrations, so it's no different. And as far as I know he only has written two one-shots, one called Uroboros and now he's writing Medaka Box, so you can't say his previous mangas were a failure... because he never wrote a single one in the first place until now That he is well known by his great reputation for novels, that's a good sign. The guy has experience, lots acording to wikipedia.

Quote:
And that's the reason for our complains, we require from authors to treat his readers as inteligent people, not as group of morons.
Err... I don't think the mangaka thinks of his readers as a bunch of morons.

Quote:
Did you mean, that people could post here only if they agree with you? You have a strange definition of freedom of speach. On the other hand, you're not an exception.
No, you misunderstood me. What I mean is... it would be better if we can just comment about each chapter or the whole manga content instead.

Quote:
Your's english is still better than mine, so you don't have to excuse And I'd like to read a post from Medaka Box fan with come valid arguments. So far almost every post from MB fan was argumented like: Medaka Box is a great manga, because it's a great manga (or is written by great author), or Medaka Box is great because girls in it are cute and hot (for me girls in this or any other manga are just drawings, but maybe I'm strange, I prefer real girls over "2d waifu" :P).
Doubt I can call this manga bad or great with just 22 chapters published so far. Up until now it lacked character background, but the latest arc gave us some about Medaka for which I'm glad.

By the way, the chaos guy, by some posts of his/her I read in onemanga forum, I would say he/she enjoys it more or less with the doubt of the Council's role.

That said, had been Medaka Box some generic romance/comedy packed manga, I wouldn't be here now. Sorry, I hate that type of genre (cough Tolove cough), I love action/comedy filled with drama and baddassery. Hope that doesn't make me strange

Dear God, you're 31!!

Last edited by Homura7; 2009-10-14 at 09:03.
Old 2009-10-14, 08:45   Link #1233
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Well, now he's writing another novel made with illustrations, so it's no different.
So writer and film director is the same according to you?

Just that there are illustrations doest mean that he is writing manga plot.

In manga you do not have space for words - you have to rely on visuals mostly and some dialogs. In Light Novels you still rely on writing and illustrations are just helping the writing but they do not construct the plot. the fields are very different. In other words, what you just said is a complete nonsense.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 08:48   Link #1234
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
He's done like two one shots prior to Medaka Box...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 09:30   Link #1235
Sol Falling

I am pretty much just having a grand time with this manga lately as well. This last chapter was hilariously absurd while retaining the potential to be interesting: seriously, "I tried to kill her five times"??? Is that serious? And the pretense for this statement being believable is 'they're superhuman'?

I'd never claim to have predicted this outcome, but even from the one-shot it was clear romance wasn't this manga's focus (or it's strength). The way things have been set up it's perfectly believable to me that this is the way Nishio Ishin intended to take this manga from the beginning. And it's suited to my tastes: one of my first thoughts was 'holy shit is Medaka a goddamned unbelievable Sue' so I'm glad they're making a plot point out of it. This manga was of incredibly dubious quality to me in its initial stages so I am glad it has currently leveled up to 'fun and occasionally interesting'.

This is probably all I feel like saying for now.

Oh wait, one more thing: nobody commented on ch. 22's boob pillows? Even the translators did in the scanlation. Unzen just keeps getting awesomer.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 09:39   Link #1236
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I am pretty much just having a grand time with this manga lately as well. This last chapter was hilariously absurd while retaining the potential to be interesting: seriously, "I tried to kill her five times"??? Is that serious? And the pretense for this statement being believable is 'they're superhuman'?

I'd never claim to have predicted this outcome, but even from the one-shot it was clear romance wasn't this manga's focus (or it's strength). The way things have been set up it's perfectly believable to me that this is the way Nishio Ishin intended to take this manga from the beginning. And it's suited to my tastes: one of my first thoughts was 'holy shit is Medaka a goddamned unbelievable Sue' so I'm glad they're making a plot point out of it. This manga was of incredibly dubious quality to me in its initial stages so I am glad it has currently leveled up to 'fun and occasionally interesting'.

This is probably all I feel like saying for now.

Oh wait, one more thing: nobody commented on ch. 22's boob pillows? Even the translators did in the scanlation. Unzen just keeps getting awesomer.
Boob pillows?

So we share thoughts about Medaka Box planned to be what is now from the beggining, I see

As for Medaka, I'm sure this woman wants to be seen more human by others.

And yeah, the line "I tried to kill her five times" is hilarious.

Last edited by Homura7; 2009-10-14 at 09:57.
Old 2009-10-14, 10:08   Link #1237
Wrath88
Kissing...

Some people find it hilarious, but It just seems a bit flat to me. Maybe he was hallucinating... how many ways could he have made fatal attacks with his hands wrapped?
Old 2009-10-14, 10:13   Link #1238
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Some people find it hilarious, but It just seems a bit flat to me. Maybe he was hallucinating... how many ways could he have made fatal attacks with his hands wrapped?
Perhaps what you just said. Illusions that attack mind.
Old 2009-10-14, 11:50   Link #1239
vharxin

It's all proved then...

Spoiler:
vharxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 12:03   Link #1240
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Mizuki Kawashita sure proved Gintoki wrong!

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council