Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-12-03, 18:58   Link #1
marvelB

Mob Psycho 100

From the creator of Onepunch-Man!

Quote:
Kageyama Shigeo (a.k.a. "Mob") is a 8th grader with psychic abilities. He could bend spoons and lift objects with his mind from a young age, but he slowly began to withhold from using his abilities in public due to the negative attention he kept receiving. Now, the only thing he wants is to become friends with a girl in his class, Tsubomi. With his psychic "mentor" (who has no psychic powers), he continues his daily life, attempting to realize his purpose in life.

Boy, oh boy, have I been waiting for this series to get a translation, and now one has finally begun! So far I'm really liking that Reigen dude (but then again, I tend to like "fraud" characters in general, lol ). Note that this series uses ONE's own art, so it's not going to look as pretty as Murata's remake of OPM. Though I guess there's a chance that this series will also get its own "remake" in due time, I dunno.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 23:40   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You will soon be in familiar territory with super powered battles and laced with quirky humor.
The series has a feel of Makai no Ossan and One Punch Man mixed.
Old 2013-12-04, 10:23   Link #3
Vree

I did not care much about the Hello Old Man series (actually I think it's pretty awful), but this one looks excellent.

I'm becoming a fan of the con man master guy as of chapter 4. Though one can't help feeling that he has mistaken his vocation - it seems that he could have made a successful and fulfilling career as a beauty therapist.
On the other hand, if I ask myself if I'd seek out the services of certain people (relationship advisor, masseur, beauty expert etc.) I have to admit I'd probably not. On the other hand, one may visit an exorcist if only out of morbid curiosity. So he does actually help people who do not realize or want to admit that they have a problem.
Vree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 17:23   Link #4
marvelB

Just finished chapter 7 a little while ago, and what else can I say but LOL at a cult that's named "(LOL)"..... lol.

In all seriousness though, I personally found this panel in particular pretty creepy:

Images
ch.7
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, guess Mob's gonna get ready to go psycho soon, judging by that countdown.....
Old 2013-12-08, 09:25   Link #5
Awrya
U mad?

So Mob can be pretty scary when he snaps.
Did I just see Tatsumaki when they showed people possessing psychic powers? In before Mob Psycho 100 and Onepunch-Man crossover? They are written by the same author after all.

I've got to say ONE's art has improved tremendously compared to early web chapters, is this the Murata effect?
Old 2013-12-08, 18:25   Link #6
marvelB

Well, if anyone wasn't convinced of this series' awesomeness before, maybe chapter 8 will make them believe!

And yeah, the Tatsumaki cameo was a neat surprise. I guess Mob Psycho and OPM take place in the same universe, then? I'm also gonna have to second that crossover request, in that case!
Old 2013-12-10, 08:07   Link #7
bludvein

The new character is just asking to be one-paneled later by Mob.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 14:05   Link #8
marvelB

So first it's Tatsumaki, and now the bonus chapter even has a Saitama cameo!
Old 2013-12-10, 14:53   Link #9
Awrya
U mad?

That Saitama wallpaper!
He'd be so happy he got a legitimate fan.
Old 2013-12-11, 15:50   Link #10
marvelB

Y'know, the more I read this, the more I see that Mob is very similar to Saitama in some aspects. The both of them are "losers" with superhuman powers, they don't express their emotions too often (well okay, maybe Saitama does, but otherwise he has that bored expression most of the time), and the both of them have their respective master/disciple relationships (with Saitama being the former, and Mob the latter). Yes, it's very interesting to see how many parallels the two of them have. Sorta makes me wonder if it's intentional on ONE's part.....
Old 2013-12-11, 16:23   Link #11
ultimateking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Y'know, the more I read this, the more I see that Mob is very similar to Saitama in some aspects. The both of them are "losers" with superhuman powers, they don't express their emotions too often (well okay, maybe Saitama does, but otherwise he has that bored expression most of the time), and the both of them have their respective master/disciple relationships (with Saitama being the former, and Mob the latter). Yes, it's very interesting to see how many parallels the two of them have. Sorta makes me wonder if it's intentional on ONE's part.....
ONE himself compared saitama and mob in an interview: saitama is intentionally written as "perfect" character-wise, while mob still has a lot of flaws he has to overcome (will be visible during this arc). Saitama shows no emotions because he has already seen everything and is bored by them, while mob isn't able to show any emotions.
Old 2013-12-11, 21:18   Link #12
marvelB

^Oh, that's interesting to hear! Er, do you happen to know the source of that interview? I'd like to check it out myself, even if it hasn't been translated yet...
Old 2013-12-12, 03:43   Link #13
ultimateking

Quote:
^Oh, that's interesting to hear! Er, do you happen to know the source of that interview? I'd like to check it out myself, even if it hasn't been translated yet...
http://i.imgur.com/LDBLeZF.jpg
Old 2013-12-12, 19:16   Link #14
marvelB

^Cool, thanks for posting that!

Anyway, chapter 11 is out now. Geez, to think that banchou guy's silly "plan" would work out after all, heh.
Old 2013-12-13, 21:06   Link #15
marvelB

Images
whack-a-mole

And Reigen shows off how awesome he is once again.

BTW, I'm wondering if a reference to the Earthbound/Mother series was made in that above image? Because I clearly recall a point in the SNES game where you had to fight a group of mole bosses who all claimed to be the fourth strongest amongst themselves. I dunno if that was in the original Japanese version, but if it was, then that's a pretty neat reference.
Old 2013-12-14, 03:39   Link #16
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Images
whack-a-mole

And Reigen shows off how awesome he is once again.

BTW, I'm wondering if a reference to the Earthbound/Mother series was made in that above image? Because I clearly recall a point in the SNES game where you had to fight a group of mole bosses who all claimed to be the fourth strongest amongst themselves. I dunno if that was in the original Japanese version, but if it was, then that's a pretty neat reference.
Might be a reference to the "Four is Death" trope.
Old 2013-12-15, 18:20   Link #17
marvelB

^Well yeah, there's that, too.... or perhaps the gag could be a reference to both?

Anyway, as some of us already guessed, it looks like that bishie banchou kid is an esper. But let's see how he can handle Mob when he's at 100%!
Old 2013-12-17, 18:38   Link #18
marvelB

Chapter 15 was awesome. It really felt like ONE was channeling Murata during this chapter, too. Heck, the last page alone makes it worth reading!

I was also particularly amused that Mob wasn't really affected at all by Dimple's loss, lol.
Old 2013-12-17, 18:56   Link #19
Awrya
U mad?

I'm almost sure that Dimple is still alive and allowed himself to be blown away without much resistance to arouse some emotions in Mob and give him a pretext to curb stomp that guy.

Mob's rage meter was 45% in Ch.13, in Ch.14 he was taking all those psychic attacks, in Ch.15 we see the meter at 50%. Is it safe to assume that the 5% increase does not come from Dimple being OHKO, but from Hanazawa not listening to him at all?
Old 2013-12-18, 16:28   Link #20
marvelB

God, just about EVERY panel featuring Hanazawa in chapter 16 was hilarious. Nonetheless, it looks like the conflict is taking a rather ugly turn (no pun intended, of course)......