AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2010-04-06, 03:52   Link #61
rockmanxpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]ensio[N] View Post
well actually my uncle got it off of ebay and it was a fake strat but i changed the pickups and knobs and got it rewired so it works a little better than a normal strat
and the type of amp im looking for is something for a kind of crunchy sound... you know the guitarist matt bellamy from Muse? i want that kind of tone
Alrighty, let me ask some questions, first guitar:

I read that you have a Squire, are you ready to upgrade from that guitar to something similar like another Strat type guitar or thinking about going the Gibson route?

Amps: Do you plan on playing in a group or are you just gonna still be a bedroom guitarists? You said you would like a tube amp, but if you're just jam in your room I think that would be overkill since you really need to crank up most tube amps to get a good tone. However if you must get tube then I'd recommend the Orange Tiny Terror combo, don't get a head otherwise you are spending more money on a cabinet. I've read that Matt Bellamy mostly uses amps that are "Marshall esque" so this should give you the tone you MIGHT be looking for

other Amp options are Solid State amps which I think do a great job for the price you pay, 65watts or more you can definetly keep up with a live drummer.

But nothing beats out than just trying all this gear in a store and judge for yourself.
rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 17:40   Link #62
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanxpr View Post
I've read that Matt Bellamy mostly uses amps that are "Marshall esque" so this should give you the tone you MIGHT be looking for An Orange Tiny Terror combo
Hmm, I always thought he uses an AC30 for recordings. I think you should tryout the laney VC30 as well, maybe ask them to hook it up with a z-vex fuzz factory and try if you can get the muse sound you want.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 00:08   Link #63
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanxpr View Post
Alrighty, let me ask some questions, first guitar:

I read that you have a Squire, are you ready to upgrade from that guitar to something similar like another Strat type guitar or thinking about going the Gibson route?

Amps: Do you plan on playing in a group or are you just gonna still be a bedroom guitarists? You said you would like a tube amp, but if you're just jam in your room I think that would be overkill since you really need to crank up most tube amps to get a good tone. However if you must get tube then I'd recommend the Orange Tiny Terror combo, don't get a head otherwise you are spending more money on a cabinet. I've read that Matt Bellamy mostly uses amps that are "Marshall esque" so this should give you the tone you MIGHT be looking for

other Amp options are Solid State amps which I think do a great job for the price you pay, 65watts or more you can definetly keep up with a live drummer.

But nothing beats out than just trying all this gear in a store and judge for yourself.
thanks for all the info
i was actually considering the tiny terror
i have a squier that has different pickups and a custom net and new knobs... so im not looking for an upgrade yet if i was i would go for a PRS custom 22
and im gonna be playing in my Church band so i would need something that goes pretty loud. my pastor suggested getting a cab and a head.....
Old 2010-04-07, 06:10   Link #64
Sides

Are you planing to mic the amp in the church? If not watch out for amps that breaks up too soon. Bear in mind the TT was not designed to deliver clean sounds.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:07   Link #65
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Are you planing to mic the amp in the church? If not watch out for amps that breaks up too soon. Bear in mind the TT was not designed to deliver clean sounds.
uhh i am not trying to mic the amp
and its fine if its not made for clean sounds
Old 2010-04-08, 15:01   Link #66
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]ensio[N] View Post
uhh i am not trying to mic the amp
and its fine if its not made for clean sounds
Make sure to take your custom guitar with you, for a test. Another thing try different cabs for the head, it make a big different in sound with different speakers. Other amps you should try out are VOX night train, VOX AC15, AC30 (probably over budget), Laney VC30 and maybe the dual terror, which has an extra clean channel. I know dirty sound are nice but sometimes you need the extra bite for some songs.
Old 2010-04-08, 18:24   Link #67
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Make sure to take your custom guitar with you, for a test. Another thing try different cabs for the head, it make a big different in sound with different speakers. Other amps you should try out are VOX night train, VOX AC15, AC30 (probably over budget), Laney VC30 and maybe the dual terror, which has an extra clean channel. I know dirty sound are nice but sometimes you need the extra bite for some songs.
mmm ill be sure to do that
Old 2010-04-11, 13:50   Link #68
Fome

Dude Herman Li is soooooo amazing just look at this completely realistic documentary about Dragonforce! Skip to 0:45 to see Herman's guitar mastery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8glmigsbE
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 19:49   Link #69
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Dude Herman Li is soooooo amazing just look at this completely realistic documentary about Dragonforce! Skip to 0:45 to see Herman's guitar mastery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8glmigsbE
rofl
i completely agree after watching that i can't even listen to his master music
Old 2010-04-13, 02:52   Link #70
FormerAbyssalone
Guts=badass

Send a message via Yahoo to FormerAbyssalone
Smile

Hi everyone, Im a fellow guitarist and just wanted 2 post who my 2 biggest influences where.

1st: The late great Randy Rhoads (quiet riot and ozzy osbourne).

2nd: Eddie Van Halen master of Tapping and guitar master.

Well those 2 are it, in terms of music im a Hard Rock and classic rock kind of guy.
FormerAbyssalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 05:54   Link #71
Caldron
Aria feels good....

Location: In my cube (it looked kinda rectangular though, he says)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonito View Post
Hi guys!~ It's me again~ Just wanted to tell you taht I'm still playing and looking for a good electric guitar. I was listening to some opinions from friends and I just wonder which type of guitar to get. I read that the most versatile are Stratocaster's ones (mostly fender) but some ppl say that an Ibanez would be good for me because of my music interests. The music I like is mostly anime ones, let's say haruka kanata (or everything from asian kungfu generation), butterfly (amazing digimon first op), I algo like Queen (the only Non-anime music i use to listen to), pegasus phantasy, K-on, etc. So, which type of guitar do you think it would be better for me to get? ( I was thinking in Ibanez cause they use to have 2 single coils and 1 humbucker or a strato cause ppl say they are versatile... but... I'm asking ehre cause im not really sure and my guitar level is not high enough to go and play something I like at the music store to see if that's the sound.... I mean... I'd love to play butterfly but... as they say.. "Mada mada..." :P...
I wold reaaaaally like some opinions on this, plz ^^.
Thanks !
Well I know this is already one month old but I'll still express myself :P

Fender stratocaster and gibson les paul the most widely known, used and sold guitars I'd say.
You choose them according to your style, likings and love.

When I bought my second electric guitar, I was really into an American Stratocaster, I tested it over and over and its very clean and dry sound was really good, I loved it. But I realized I wanted something different when I played the SG and the Les Paul, I wanted the Les Paul warm and natural sound. It's all about what sounds good to you and what calls you most.

I own a valvetronix amp, an old korg pedal (like 10 or 15 years old) and a Gibson Les Paul Custom (Gary Moore 2009), and I am very happy with the sound it produces, even though I'd like to change my pickups for some seymour-duncan hot rodded set someday.

I also looked to Ibanez and other brands, but I didn't go very well with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Nah i would not say that, D chord is just difficult too use at first, but when you get further you will actually like it very much since it has very beautiful sound too it.
You guys are the first to say it, when I started to play I only had problems with the F, B and sharp major chords... I think the D chord is only hard when transposed. I had an hard time to do the G using my pinky too...

In terms of guitarists, I respect Yngwie Malmsteen, Van Halen, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and Eric Johnson a lot.

Caldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 20:28   Link #72
milkypink
♥~☆~♥

Hi~
I'm popping over here from the K-ON! musical instruments thread.

A little musical background about me: piano from age 8, so I can read musical scores. I took violin for around a year in elementary school, along with the flute (although not at the same time!) I've had a passing interest in learning the guitar for several years now - my mother had an acoustic one she didn't really maintain and I played around with it a bit but never really got serious. I had a quick class with a sanshin (3-stringed instrument similar to the shamisen) a few years ago and picked it up surprisingly quickly. K-ON renewed my interest in the instrument when I started watching S1 in April of last year, along with a desire to learn an instrument that's a bit more portable than my 88-key keyboard....

and so I have a few questions about starting to learn guitar:
(I have done google-based research on this topic, but I'm always curious to hear opinions from different groups of people)

1) recommended electric guitar for a beginner, budget up to $450-500 (for the guitar itself) if the quality's good and I can grow with it. I won't lie, I'm partial to Yui's Giitah (so pretty~ love that cherryburst) but *coughs* I do want it to sound nice so super-cheap lookalikes of poor quality aren't really what I'm looking for.
I'm aware that it's strongly advisable to go in person to see guitars, but I'd like a baseline of companies/models to seek out since not currently being a guitarist stepping into a store filled with them is likely to be overwhelming and I'm unsure of how much I could trust the sales people there... XD;

2) amp recommendations? I'm not going to be playing any gigs any time soon (no band right now, and the last time I was in one I was a singer/keyboardist anyway... XD; ) so something relatively small for bedroom practice is more suitable for me at the moment.

3) additional thoughts about cases/stands/picks/other assorted items for starting out? Being a pianist/keyboardist (the latter of which always borrowed equipment from her bassist XD; ) I'm at a loss for what's even basic equipment for guitars.

Last edited by milkypink; 2010-05-10 at 22:59.
milkypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 23:29   Link #73
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

I forget how to read sheet music and I only started to get somewhat serious into guitar because I enjoyed classical more than whatever I was doing before. Fail. OTL

1) If you didn't put in that Cherry Burst thing, I would have thought Yui from Angel Beats despite you talking about K-On! earlier. Though her guitar doesn't seem too bad either for your budget.

Can't really help you with anything electric specific here, but it seems I'm the odd one out here, so plenty of people can help you here~ People recommended Ibanez and Epiphone to me before I went ahead and bought a Godin? :/

2) I don't know anyone who doesn't like the cube. And don't forget you need a cable if you don't already have one. ;A;

3) derp, well a guitar case/gig bag is more useful than a stand if you don't have a lot of space imho 'cause you can lug it around with you. Stand is just easy-access/displaying stuff is always cool.

And I'd probably get a variety of picks, though maybe more in the 0.7xmm ~ 0.8xmm range. At my local store, they let me pick out around 14 different guitar picks when I bought a guitar and amp. So I have ones varying from 0.5xmm ~ 1.5mm. ^^;

Extra set of strings is probably a good idea, too, hmm....

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 10:50   Link #74
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.

so i m new to this whole guitar thing.

what i m aiming for is a fender stratocaster but that would be a little too generic.

i would like some advice on what type of fender strat to get.
Old 2010-06-14, 16:23   Link #75
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Some of my favorite guitar players are

Joe Pass
Pepe Romero
Andrew York
Allan Holdsworth
Stanley Jordan
Michael Hedges
Danny Gatton
Frank Gambale
Michel Cusson
Shawn Lane
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 00:47   Link #76
ColdHearted

Guitar Brand (Fake Or Not)

I'm planning to buy a new guitar and the brand that i wanted is Ibanez Brand. When i was roaming around in some place i saw a guitar and the brand name is "Ybanez" is it fake or not? And it look like this

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...G20072_SVW.jpg
ColdHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 01:14   Link #77
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Better to post this in the music forum. Be sure to make your way around the boards to see where the best places to post your thread would be. Also be sure to check the Forum Rules before posting. Welcome to Asuki
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 01:26   Link #78
ColdHearted

Sorry i thought its for general Chat .
ColdHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 02:53   Link #79
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdHearted View Post
I'm planning to buy a new guitar and the brand that i wanted is Ibanez Brand. When i was roaming around in some place i saw a guitar and the brand name is "Ybanez" is it fake or not? And it look like this

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...G20072_SVW.jpg
If it doesn't say Ibanez then it isn't ibanez..

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ead?sku=480946
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-I...27-i1172860.gc

Get the amplification you need with the Ibanez Tone Blaster Head and 4x12 Cab for around $500. People that buy these ridiculously cheap foot amps make me sad. Your sound is so limited... Get loud, people! You're going to upgrade to this anyway eventually if you are playing seriously, stop wasting money on crappy foot amps.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 13:26   Link #80
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Tommy just inspires me as a guitarist. I think his finerpicking style is the best I've ever heard. Check this song out if you like amazing instrumental acoustic pieces .
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote