AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-07, 02:42   Link #121
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, the bad first:
1) The themes used were mostly misplaced, being too light or happy for the events they cover.
2) I was expecting something much darker, with the casual protagonist who lost his friends in a demonic onslaught and was cursed with a red eye or something, but we didn't really get to know ANYTHING about Yakumo besides the fact that he knows a detective and can see dead people.
3) Can't see a connection between Yakumo and Haruka either, it's like he just did her sister a favour, so how will Haruka stick around with Yakumo's normally jerk behaviour?
4) Crazy psycho teacher kills people who enter his self-annointed sacred grounds, but we didn't really get a background on either him or the place itself. Oh, and the kicker: he got scared because Yakumo has a RED EYE, that's definitely a killshot...
Now for the good:
1~4) Good OP, good art, good music and good animation. This might turn out being a pretty decent title, if proper explanations are given to the characters and their motives/story,etc.
5) More important than 1~4, this isn't boring. I can't say it's actually interesting yet, but it's a lot better than Shiki, which I dropped after 6 episodes of half-boredom, half-plot movement (think I should have given it more than 6?).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-08, 10:05   Link #122
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Some fanarts from Yakmo ^.^

Old 2010-10-08, 16:21   Link #123
bran
h e a d s h o t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
he got scared because Yakumo has a RED EYE, that's definitely a killshot...
I think there's a chance for a similar scene to happen every ep. Like "ippen shinde miru" -> pretty flowers coming out of the kimono in Jigoku Shoujo. Makes just as much sense. Will have to wait and see though

Farewell...and thank you.
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-08, 17:18   Link #124
achirist

I like the main characters and the artwork, but I'm not really looking forward to an impersonal 'monster of the day' show if that is what it's going to be. I'm also not in favor of people with special abilities helping corrupt police and right wing governments smash dissent, either. So I'll just see what the second episode is like.
Old 2010-10-08, 18:04   Link #125
KrimzonStriker

Uh, corrupt police and right wing governments, where was that exactly? And just saying but he can't exorcise anyone, the 'monster of the day' will at best be a new case/murderer, he is a detective after all.
Old 2010-10-08, 18:04   Link #126
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...[some interesting points]....
1. I'm not sure it's the case here, but sometimes having lighter music behind more serious events makes a good counterpoint, emotionally.
2. Maybe we will gradually learn more about Yakumo's past.
3. But he's not just a jerk who did you a favor, he's a bishounen jerk with a heart of gold.
4. Crazy psycho teacher was the weakest part of the whole thing.
1-4. I like the look and feel, too.
5. Shiki definitely gets better, according to most observers, but I myself thought it was fascinating right from the start. For me, it and Five Leaves are the two best shows of the year. However, everyone doesn't have to like the same shows.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-08, 23:08   Link #127
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
(think I should have given it more than 6?).
Oh lord yes!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 01:29   Link #128
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

After re-watching it (subbed this time) and actually understanding what they're saying, I now have to say the first episode wasn't too bad. Still feel it was rushed but I also get the sense that it was used as an introduction of the characters more than anything else. Hopefully the coming episodes will be slower paced for better details of the characters and plot. Yakumo's witty/biting statements were fun to watch - unlike Mai from GH, seems like Haruka just doesn't have a chance against him (the girl is too nice). XD

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 01:41   Link #129
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
2. Maybe we will gradually learn more about Yakumo's past.
Learning about his past is, of course, part of his development as a character, but usually in the first episodes people are given a certain background, like why he's doing this or who he is connected to. I wouldn't mind as much if the first half didn't focus completely on the main character, all the while dodging important character points...but I guess we'll find out sooner or later.
Quote:
3. But he's not just a jerk who did you a favor, he's a bishounen jerk with a heart of gold.
You got me there, I have no idea how women think :P

Guess I'll give Shiki a full cour, from the comments here.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 22:12   Link #130
OkamiNoKaze

Episode 1 was pretty cool, Yokumo, reminds me of Dr. House a little bit. The opening theme and sequence was pretty cool as well.
Old 2010-10-11, 17:10   Link #131
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm sorry if what I typed is a repeat of any previous discussions that already have answers.

Hmm, the way Yakumo was able to tell that Haruka had a little sister that died instantly gave me the thought that Haruka's sister was following her as a ghost all this time, wanting to say that it was all right that the accident which lead to her death was not her fault, but she could not because humanity cannot see nor hear ghosts/spirits. When Haruka entered the room, and Yakumo getting some time, he was able to tell probably because he saw the little sister following her with his red eye. But at the very ending, well you know what happened.

The psycho-teacher was weak... What was the purpose he was trying to prove or does he actually enjoy killing people for fun.

Still need more info about Yakumo before I can fully clarify my opinions about him
Old 2010-10-11, 20:24   Link #132
fukarming

I like the idea in Psychic Detective Yakumo that instead of trying too hard to connect Yakumo and Haruka together, their connection is simple:

Haruka likes bisounen!

Plain and simple, and yet reasonable. It is much better than those which either base on misunderstanding, fate, previous life....etc
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 20:40   Link #133
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I like the idea in Psychic Detective Yakumo that instead of trying too hard to connect Yakumo and Haruka together, their connection is simple:

Haruka likes bisounen!

Plain and simple, and yet reasonable. It is much better than those which either base on misunderstanding, fate, previous life....etc
Well its not new, since alot of Japanese girls like bisounen guys after all... But that seems a little too simple...
Old 2010-10-12, 03:43   Link #134
Sinn
Pwnage

Haruka liking Yakumo all within 1 episode pretty much made me think that she likes bishounen. And after episode 2 I still find her uninteresting.

Okay... I'm gonna be straightforward, ep 2 was... lamer than ep 1. I had the urge to fast forward everything because it's just that boring. Some people they are, I felt like the monk was making excuses to wear red contacts so he can look good like Yakumo. LOL. What's wrong with having red eyes anyway, they're cool :-(

The only thing that caught my attention was the villians that were doing their role... as villians.
Old 2010-10-13, 09:36   Link #135
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah frankly the whole thing was resolved rather easily and everyone suddenly giving their life story.

It all just feels so lackluster...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 10:59   Link #136
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
What's wrong with having red eyes anyway, they're cool :-(
My understanding is that red eyes are associated with demons. At least, that's how it seems to be portrayed in supernatural anime at any rate. I don't recall a supernatural anime where having red eyes is seen as a good thing. I could be wrong of course. There are many anime I haven't seen.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 20:10   Link #137
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well its not new, since alot of Japanese girls like bisounen guys after all... But that seems a little too simple...
I think Haruka may be attached to Yakumo because he helped her with her twin sister. The anime doesn't develop the reason why Haruka has taken a liking to Yakumo very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
What's wrong with having red eyes anyway, they're cool :-(
My understanding is that red eyes are associated with demons. At least, that's how it seems to be portrayed in supernatural anime at any rate. I don't recall a supernatural anime where having red eyes is seen as a good thing. I could be wrong of course. There are many anime I haven't seen.
I'm sure when he was younger, and innocent, he probably went around telling people that he can see spirits with his red eye - maybe that's why they got scared of him. Also, his eye isn't simply red, it has a slit pupil, so maybe it actually looks more "demonic" than what the animation truly shows.

Anyway, episode 2 was enjoyable - simply because I got to see Yakumo (...Haruka isn't the only one with the urge. ). I actually find his blunt and biting dialogues rather funny, and it also looks like Haruka might be able to handle this rebel and his witty tongue better than I had thought. I think Yakumo just doesn't know how to handle Haruka, so he throws these sneers at her as a defense (and when he can't find a biting return, he turns his back to her). As for the mystery in each episode, like I said before, it's very lacking in detail. I think the only-13-episodes is to blame - too short for any real development. On a plus side, I find Nao to be very cute. I didn't manage to understand but is Nao deaf?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 23:00   Link #138
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
I didn't manage to understand but is Nao deaf?
That's the impression I got from when uncle said that somehow she understands what whoever's speaking to her means. Although they didn't have much time interacting, I was surprised at how gentle & sweet Yakumo behaved with Nao. Warmed my heart, it did.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 23:17   Link #139
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

This series needs a tough villain... Probably the guy with "2" red eyes?
Old 2010-10-14, 00:15   Link #140
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
On a plus side, I find Nao to be very cute. I didn't manage to understand but is Nao deaf?
Yep, you're right. Nao is deaf, the uncle said something along the lines of, She can't understand you==since she's deaf -- but she can interpret your mood/tone pretty well. In other words she can tell if you mean good/harm.

Anyway episode 2 was a bit slow for me, honestly episode 1 wasn't that appealing for me to begin with. So not super impressed with anything right now, the villain stuff could be interesting, but it just tries so hard to be serious that I can't take each week's villain scene seriously lawl
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, seinen, supernatural