Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-06-20, 16:23   Link #681
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Not for me, since im from the North East every tie, is another frustrating inability to shake off the Swedish curse.

Goddammit. Every frigging time, it's either a lose, or a tie to Sweden.

For haruhi sake, I'm beginning to see a trend here, if we can't beat Sweden, there is no hope winning the cup. It's as simple as that.

Old 2006-06-20, 16:55   Link #682
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn
I mean Owen Hargreaves? Theo Walcott? Sorry but England are hurting in attack ATM and he brings another (unpopular and IMO not good enough) midfielder and an unproven striker (who he won't play). Both Owen and Rooney aren't match fit, and Crouch isn't the same type of forward as they are.

But what do I know, I ain't the England manager (and wouldn't want to be Not with our press!)
On the evidence of tonight I think Owen Hargreaves has done enough to silence his critics and enough to suggest he is good enough for this level. As I recall back in 2002 he was one of the better players in the run up to the World Cup as well as at the first few matches of the actual tournament. It was only an injury against Argentina that took him out of the team. Since then he's hardly had a chance to play in his preferred position, which was the one he took up tonight, because Sven has insisted on playing Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham in the midfield and now Cole on the left(who deserves to be in the team anyway going by his performances) Over the 90 minutes he was one of the better players on the England team, I'd probably only rate Joe Cole higher simply for his contribution to the scoreline as well as some fantastic work down the left hand side with Ashley Cole.

I do agree about Walcott though, he should have been dropped in favour of Defoe or Bent.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 17:04   Link #683
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn
Sven can't seem to find a formation which works well. His team, on paper, is very good yet never performs to it's full potential. Besides he did make some dodgy decisions before coming. I mean Owen Hargreaves? Theo Walcott? Sorry but England are hurting in attack ATM and he brings another (unpopular and IMO not good enough) midfielder and an unproven striker (who he won't play). Both Owen and Rooney aren't match fit, and Crouch isn't the same type of forward as they are.

But what do I know, I ain't the England manager (and wouldn't want to be Not with our press!)
Yup. You're just saying what we're all thinking.

I also think it's about time he takes his tongue out of David Beckhams ass, and give the captains band to Terry. Personally, I don't rate Beckham at all. I have this argument all the time with friends. He is good for one thing only, Set pieces.

/rant.

I find it hard to talk about football in font. Sorry if my points don't get across too good. I'm used to shouting and pointing...
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 21:11   Link #684
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Armband to terry? no way, if your going to give it to someone, give it to gerrad
Old 2006-06-21, 02:34   Link #685
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

About Walcott: It's not so much dropping him, rather that he's there for no reason. Erikkson won't play him and it's not clear why. If he's good enough to be chosen, then surely its worth the risk to give him some minutes on the pitch. If not, then why isn't someone like Defoe or Bent there, who can play instead of the now injured Owen?

Dropping Beckham: Yeah Beckham's quality has fallen dramatically over the last few years. I suppose he's still Erikkson's favourite and so will never be dropped. Gerrard woud make a better captain, he's raised Liverpool's games god-knows how many times.

As for:

Quote:
Dude, i thought you were a scot..., nevermind.
Nope, from the land of the boyos meself (Wales for those who don't get it ) Don't get me started on the number of Scots who have the supporting "whoever plays England" mentality. It really gets on my nerves. Especially those who supported Trinidad & Tobago on the grounds of Jason Scotland (or those Welshmen who did the same on the grounds of Wrexham player). Sure we'll never stop hearing about 1966, but that doesn't mean you take it out on this England team. Rather it should be taken out on a certain Mr Motson...
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 06:19   Link #686
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It's been long overdue for Gerrard to takeover the armband from Becks. After coming on, he singlehandedly prevented England from suffering an embrassing defeat with that superb goal line clearance, and then scoring that header which would have secure England's win were it not for Sol Campbell's inability to clear that last minute goal which was eventually converted by Larsson.

(Off Topic Chelsea bashing, especially at Frank Lampard: Stevie G shows you how goals are scored. Without the support of his all star Chelski team, Lampard is clearly miles behind Gerrard from earning the right to be called the best midfielder in England. xDD )

Speaking of Campbell, he's past his best already and is a problem on the right back. Forgive me for sounding biased again, but Carragher is more suited to that role than as a winger moving forward.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 08:23   Link #687
Zappster

Regarding Beckham: He has been one of the few stars in the Real Madrid team that has actually played well. He's had one of his best seasons for the club and probably been one of their best players over the entire season. Unfortunately he's not been able to reproduce that sort of form for the national team. I still think he has done fairly well this tournament. What he needs to do is stick to the right hand side of the field in his position, which he did against Sweden but saw very little of the ball as a result of it since most of the play was down the left hand side(and to good effect too), without roaming into the centre of the pitch. Give him the ball on the right and he will almost certainly provide chances for somebody.

Lennon could do the job there I feel but I still prefer having Lennon there on the bench as someone to bring on in the later stages of the game, when the opposition are tiring, like he did against T&T.
Old 2006-06-21, 16:15   Link #688
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Sweden maintains the tradition against England again! And Argentina does not score so well against a strong team such as Holland, but still is one of the favorites in the competition for the title.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 16:51   Link #689
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat
And Argentina does not score so well against a strong team such as Holland, but still is one of the favorites in the competition for the title.
The game as a whole was a non event, so I think it's hard to judge how they will do against a strong team from that match alone. Besides they still looked quite dangerous in patches against Holland.
Old 2006-06-22, 07:33   Link #690
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The real Group of Death (Group E) concludes today!

1. Italy 4 pts
2. Czech Republic 3 pts
3. Ghana 3pts (Czechs have slightly better goal difference)
4. USA 1pt

Italy vs Czech Republic
USA vs Ghana

Italy win, Ghana win = 1st Italy + 2nd Ghana
Italy win, Ghana draw = 1st Italy + 2nd Ghana
Italy win, US win = 1st Italy + 2nd USA
Italy draw, Ghana win = 1st Ghana + 2nd Italy
Italy draw, Ghana draw = 1st Italy + 2nd Ghana OR Czech Republic (depending on goal difference)
Italy draw, US win = 1st Italy + 2nd Czech Republic OR USA (depending on goal difference)
Czech win, Ghana win = Czech Republic + Ghana (position depending on goal difference)
Czech win, Ghana draw = 1st Czech Republic + 2nd Italy OR Ghana (Goal Diff)
Czech win, US win = 1st Czech Republic + 2nd Italy OR US (GD)

All four teams have a chance at making it to the last 16 or getting eliminated. I fancy the Italians edging through, the Czechs will have to hope Milan Baros can be fit enough for them in this desparate situation.

As for Group F, even though Brazil will rest their players, I don't see how Japan can beat them, so a draw at best. That leaves the Aussies and Croatia to fight it out. I'd like to see Hiddink perform his strategic prowess again and lead another World Cup into the knockout round.

Edit: How I managed to mistype Ghana for Angola I'll never know. As I write this edit, the Czechs are in big trouble in half time trailing one goal against the Italians and down to ten men, while the Ghanaians are ahead of the US. At this rate, it's Italy and Ghana.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2006-06-22 at 09:59.
Old 2006-06-22, 08:55   Link #691
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
It's Ghana, not Angola.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
The real Group of Death (Group E) concludes today!
I wouldn't exactly call it group of death. There nothing deadly about USA or Ghana
And the other 2 teams have disappointed their potential if anything. *recieves murderous glares* ^^;;

The only positive deadly thing in group E is they are barely above the average in numbers of totalt group goals for the 4 first matches.
Group A 12
Group B 4
Group C 13
Group D 7
Group E 9
Group F 7
Group G 7
Group H 12

If anything I would call group E the group of suspence, not death
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 10:52   Link #692
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Poor Japan having to face Brasil

I bet they'll do the same thing as with Belgium during last world cup... If they've a chance to make a goal, cancel it for some unknown reason.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 15:57   Link #693
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Nooo...Japan lost. They were looking so good then it all went downhill after that 1st Brazil goal. I think they got demoralized and just gave up or something.

Bah...

At least Australia beat Croatia qualifiying wise anyways. I didn't watch the game much but Croatia seemed to have been playing with poor sportsmanship.
Old 2006-06-22, 15:58   Link #694
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Japan vs Brazil

Finally a match that had me jumping all over the place!!!!

Japan rose to the challenge and played so well, those first 25 minutes they where awesome, they played well throughout the whole match and kept pushing, i was soo hoping for Japan to go through, i know lots of ppl did here. Even after Brazil scored they still played like legends.

Brazil they where finally made to play Japan where pushing and defending well that made Brazil start to play. They where great to watch and Ronaldo finally moved, well done to him as well new record holder!

So far it had only been the African nations that where so much fun and enjoyable to watch, finally Brazil are up'ing their game but will have to push more to be on par with argentina.

Japan did well in their last game for this tournment, great game!!
Well done Brazil!! stil need to improve their game tho.
Finally Ronaldo!!! Well done be proud of your record, well deserved!!
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 16:19   Link #695
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I picked the Australia v Croatia match over the Brazil match because I reckoned Japan didn't had a chance, but I never thought Japan would score against them, and then get thrashed by Brazil 4-1. Even Ronaldo scored twice, silencing his critics.

Anyway, Guus Hiddink has done it again with his substitutions. It was just as exciting as the Brazil v Japan match. Croatia scored early on with a superb free kick. Then at the end of the first half, the Socceroos got a penalty and duly equalised.

At the second half, Aussie keeper Kalac made a spectacular error and made it 2-1 to Croatia. I had no idea why Hiddink rested Schwarzer. So Hiddink began his usual tactic of throwing striker after striker on, and as usual, it worked. Kewell finally scoring the equalizer to bring the Aussies to Seventh Heaven.

Hiddink has to face the Italians again in the Round of 16, I wonder who's the unlucky one here?

BTW, GRAHAM POLL, YOU'RE SERIOUSLY SHITE TODAY! Not seeing the Aussie penalty appeal in the first half, three red cards, and worst of all, THREE YELLOWS FOR A RED!? I didn't know you had the power to rewrite FIFA rules.

I mean just look at the match report, under the CAUTION column:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/match/44/mr.html

Simunic gets a yellow at 61 mins, 90 mins AND 93 mins. And then gets a red there. LOL

And to make things worst, us Premiership fans have to continue to put up with him when the Premiership kicks off.
Old 2006-06-22, 16:29   Link #696
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

lol Kinny, i just read that up on the bbc sports LoL!
I thought that he just kept refusing to leave the pitch,
anyway yeah great british no nonsense refree there O.o
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 20:31   Link #697
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
BTW, GRAHAM POLL, YOU'RE SERIOUSLY SHITE TODAY! Not seeing the Aussie penalty appeal in the first half, three red cards, and worst of all, THREE YELLOWS FOR A RED!? I didn't know you had the power to rewrite FIFA rules.

I mean just look at the match report, under the CAUTION column:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/match/44/mr.html

Simunic gets a yellow at 61 mins, 90 mins AND 93 mins. And then gets a red there. LOL

And to make things worst, us Premiership fans have to continue to put up with him when the Premiership kicks off.
aussie game was pure drama! loved it! I swear poll was worse then usual. I bet his boss told him let it all go, just to make this world cup that extra special. yum yum!

Seriously, world cup history! I swear it'll be a very long time until we see another three yellow cards! yup, I conclude we have all been blessed, future decendants would wish they were in this generation!! All hail Football!

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-06-22 at 20:51.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 21:23   Link #698
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
The more yellow cards the merrier

Congratulations and good luck in the future to all the convicts from down under.
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 15:58   Link #699
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Argh...Korea is eliminated too! All the teams I want to win are losing.

Such a bad call by that assistant ref. The entire Korean team stopped moving since an offside was called, then the ref was like no, keep playing and of course Swiss scores. I think that's why Korea just fell into a slump that they couldnt recover.
Old 2006-06-23, 16:00   Link #700
Hydex

Even if it ended 0-0 Korea would also have been eliminated
Hydex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer