Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-14, 00:59   Link #1
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Some shounen reccomendations?

I'm wondering if there are any mentionable all-age shounen series' out there with some of these specifications:

- Carefree and wacky male lead and can be serious and badass in times of drama and/or battles. Would also like it if they hold little to no interest in girls and relationships.

- Female lead if there is one does not overshadow the male lead, but at the same time isn't pointless.

- Romance is either entirely absent or downplayed.

- I know fanservice-free would be asking too much when it comes to anime/manga (ecpecially shounen), but one with as little as possible would be nice.

- Humour and drama are nicely balanced if drama is present. Is not afraid to get incredibly wacky/cartoony at times, and while not neccecary can be a real tear-jerker at times.

- I don't really care about the art style, so anything since perhaps the late-80's will be fine.

- Longer the better. I'll be entertained longer in that case.

That should be about it I think. I'm pretty sure I have a few more specifications but I can't think of them right now.

And before you all say Naruto or Bleach, I'll say right now I've already decided long ago that I won't watch or read either series, so don't bother.

Namely the 3 I'm familiar with with these qualities listed above are One Piece, Dragon Ball and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2010-08-14 at 01:20.
Old 2010-08-14, 01:01   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Action series required or not?
Old 2010-08-14, 01:04   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It doesn't matter if has action or not no.
Old 2010-08-14, 01:18   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Darker than Black and s-CRY-ed fit pretty well what you're looking for, though Comedy is there at times in both, it's not a major thing generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
- Carefree and wacky male lead and can be serious and badass in times of drama and/or battles. Would also like it if they hold little to no interest in girls and relationships.

- I know fanservice-free would be asking too much when it comes to anime/manga (ecpecially shounen), but one with as little as possible would be nice.[/B]
Needless fits most of your requirements, though fan-service is literally a joke that goes somewhat far at times, and the Male fits your first requirement then fails secondary one[has no interest in relationships, just girls ].

Also Katanagatari though it has minor romance, I'd say it's somewhat downplayed. And has thus far managed to balance both comedy and drama pretty well.

Oh one other thought, though it's not one of my favorite series, I'll recommend it none the less since it fits a lot of what you're looking for Gintama, the show is hit or miss per episode ussually in my opinion, but one of my friends loves it so I know enough about it to recommend it, and it's pretty dam long and varies between drama and comedy whenever it feels like .

Edit: Missed the "all-age shounen" thing, then Katanagatari and Darker than Black might not fit, as I am not sure you could could call them that.
MAL
Old 2010-08-14, 10:46   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't think of any reason why Fairy Tail wouldn't meet those specifications.
Old 2010-08-14, 11:18   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Shall second Needless, Gintama and Fairy Tail. All three are fantastic shows, and fit what you're looking for.

Soul Eater kinda counts i guess, though there's a few differences to the list you made.
Old 2010-08-14, 12:32   Link #7
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Going by what your looking for, Kekkaishi should be up your ally. Also vouching for Fairy Tale and Gintama, and if you are looking for something to read, try Psyren.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It doesn't matter if has action or not no.
If it doesn't have to be action-oriented, then I strongly recommend to check out Sket Dance . from what I understood from the OP, it has everything that it appears your looking for.
Old 2010-08-14, 18:16   Link #8
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I'm not sure if it's shounen or not, but To Aru Majutsu no Index fits those requirements pretty well. I guess Touma would be counted as carefree? Also I guess biribiri counts as a female lead (but mainly a side character in Index) although Accelerator is the main lead for the science side...

Last edited by SuzushinaYuriko; 2010-08-14 at 18:27.
Old 2010-08-14, 19:00   Link #9
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's looking like Gintama and Fairy Tail are two I should check out then.~

Sket Dance actually looks pretty interesting, might end up give that one a look too.

The only condition I know Soul Eater breaks is the female lead thing. Does it break any others? Cause I was considering that one but I might not anymore if it does.
Old 2010-08-15, 12:27   Link #10
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Yeah, I just checked, To Aru Majutsu no Index is classified as shounen.

- Touma is mainly carefree (when's he's not screaming SUCH MISFORTUNE!! because of his horrible luck) but he is brave and saves anyone who needs saving even if it puts himself in danger. Only downside to him is that he's a bit predictable and he preaches stuff too long.
- Misaka Mikoto will wow you when she first appears and fires her railgun in the first episode. She's counted as a female lead but is more of a lead in her spinoff To Aru Kagaku no Railgun than in Index.
- There isn't any romance in Index. Not in the first season anyways.
- There isn't a LOT of fanservice in Index compared to some other series (the only ones I can remember are Index in the first episode, Last Order, and Kanzaki's bath scene)
- It isn't really a humor series but it has drama in it.
- It's fairly recent and by J. C. Staff with excellent animation and backgrounds.
- Index and Railgun are both 24 episodes with Index's second season confirmed to be coming in the fall.
Old 2010-08-15, 20:12   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think it qualifies as shounen, but Oh! Edo Rocket fits all your specifications.
Closed Thread