AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-10-09, 10:42   Link #1
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Gundam 00 video quality.

Does anyone know if any sub groups are releasing the series in its traditional 1920x1080 resolution broadcast? Or is 720p the only available ones?
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 11:12   Link #2
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
720p is the broadcast size. That, and that's all I've seen on Winny too. Even though this is high definition, you won't be seeing the actual quality of it unless you have a high definition monitor. My group, Zeonic-Corps is releasing it in the 720p version.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 11:45   Link #3
Copy Ninja Kakashi

Well the quality is better than a 704*... even on a monitor, although you need a fast cpu for handeling 720p (say 2ghz and higher) So far the best fansub out there I would say is by a "Anymous" fansub group
Copy Ninja Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 12:28   Link #4
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copy Ninja Kakashi View Post
Well the quality is better than a 704*... even on a monitor, although you need a fast cpu for handeling 720p (say 2ghz and higher) So far the best fansub out there I would say is by a "Anymous" fansub group
Agreed. Anonymous did a fine job at encoding it and I can play it on my PS3. Nyoro~n
Subs did pretty good as well, but there were some minor nitpicks about it.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 03:32   Link #5
onmyouji

How about the one from [Conclave-Mendoi] ?

Last time I checked, their release has the biggest filesize
onmyouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 04:35   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I've only viewed the Conclave-Mendoi one (1280x720, H.264), and I was very impressed with the video quality. Sharp, no color blocks or distortion (except along a gradient... but that may not be their fault and it's barely noticable). Basically, when we all laughed and said that fansubs would never be DVD quality a few years ago, we couldn't have foreseen something like this. The subtitles aren't softsubs, unfortunately, but they're pleasing to the eye and easily readable. If you get into it, the OP karaoke effects are some of the best I've seen. If I have the time I may check another group's for comparison, just to see whether the extra filesize is really warranted.

They seem to be some of the slower subbers in the crowd, so they may not be the ideal group to go with if you really can't bear delays with each episode.
Old 2007-10-14, 04:47   Link #7
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

Sup guys,

First of all Sety, the original airing was not 1920x1080. I think it was some strange 1440x1080 format. However, it is not true 1080. Prolly some station upscale.

Secondly, Legdem, our releases aren't really hardsubbed. The only hardsubbed things are the karaoke, credits, and typesetting, since it would impossible to have them otherwise. The dialogue fonts are softsubbed... that is why we were able to release a patch that fixes some issues in the script.

And finally, the reason why our encode is so big, is because we used BY FAR the best source. Rather than using a recompressed cap, we used a direct digital copy, a transport stream. As opposed to the others using raws of around 300-700MB or so, ours was 2.4GB.
Old 2007-10-14, 09:14   Link #8
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
Sup guys,

First of all Sety, the original airing was not 1920x1080. I think it was some strange 1440x1080 format. However, it is not true 1080. Prolly some station upscale.

Secondly, Legdem, our releases aren't really hardsubbed. The only hardsubbed things are the karaoke, credits, and typesetting, since it would impossible to have them otherwise. The dialogue fonts are softsubbed... that is why we were able to release a patch that fixes some issues in the script.

And finally, the reason why our encode is so big, is because we used BY FAR the best source. Rather than using a recompressed cap, we used a direct digital copy, a transport stream. As opposed to the others using raws of around 300-700MB or so, ours was 2.4GB.
So what fansub group are you apart of?
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 11:02   Link #9
ScR3WiEuS
*Fansubber

Mendoi-Fansubs
Old 2007-10-14, 11:39   Link #10
Katsumara
The cake eater.

Quote:
Mendoi-Fansubs
I just wanted to compliment ya for your work. I just got your Episode 01 and I was really impressed. xD I loved the karaoke, credits and such. It was real easy for me to follow along with the songs while singing to myself too. >.>; (I sing to myself, so sue me!)

Anyway, thanks again. I'm happy you guys picked it up.
Old 2007-10-14, 12:25   Link #11
Navitron

Quote:
Sup guys,

I'm glad a lot more groups are taking up the slack and putting out real high quality video. Not some ripped raw of a rerip of a recompressed original.

There are those of us out there that are about ready to gag if we see another resized xvid of a 720/1080 original. Theres no reason to butcher the quality just to appease the majority that don't no how to play anything other then a xvid encoded avi. have 7 year old dell with a 15" monitor or don't care if the quality is on par with a youtube video.

Those of us with high resolution monitors know how painful it can be watching a bad encode, artifacting, use of sharpening or blurring to make a bad encode look even worse.

So props to Mendoi-Fansubs keep up the good work guys.
Navitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 13:07   Link #12
ScR3WiEuS
*Fansubber

First of all, let me correct myself
I don't know what res the master is... so it's hard to tell.
Anyway, I can't say for sure the 1080 is an upscale.

And @ Katsumara & Navitron
Wow thanks... since we released we've only been getting negative comments on our choice of filesize, format, encode, etc. it's nice to hear something good for once.
Anyways, nice to hear that some people still care about quality rather than speed ( don't worry tho, we'll be releasing gundam pretty fast ). Our second release should be a lot better too. I wasn't completely satisfied with the previous one.
Old 2007-10-14, 13:34   Link #13
lubczyk

Quote:
Mendoi-Fansubs
Wow, really!!?

I mean If that's the case than I enjoyed your encode of episode 1 the most.

It also made the most sense as in understanding the plot.

I'm willing to wait a few days if it means a quality product.

I'll still be like watching the series on a weekly basis just in the middle of the week instead of on the weekend!!!

I support you guys all the way!

Just remember, if you get a cease-and-desist order from Bandai, you can still release your subs on an IRC channel and it'll turn out on a torrent site sooner or later.

Do you guys have a website or IRC channel BTW?

I checked your group's info on anidb and no info of the sort came up.

@Navitron

I don't see what's the problem with people playing back 720p files.

Mplayer works great for people without a video card.

I use a combination of CoreAVC, CoreAAC, and Media Player Classic for hardware playback and it works great on a 4 year old Dell PC.

I do support simultaneous SD 480p Xvid/Divx5/6 AVI and High-Def 720p/1080i MP4/MKV releases however.

Most people still use Windows Media Player to play back files and it wouldn't be fair to alienate them.

Not everyone can be bothered to search for media players, download and tweak decoder settings, et cetera.

Last edited by lubczyk; 2007-10-14 at 13:44.
Old 2007-10-14, 13:41   Link #14
ScR3WiEuS
*Fansubber

lulz, we should be in anidb
our channel is #mendoi @ irc.rizon.net
our partners on Gundam 00, Conclave, also have their channel on rizon,
#conclave .

our website is http://www.mendoi-fansubs.com/
Old 2007-10-14, 13:49   Link #15
lubczyk

Quote:
lulz, we should be in anidb
our channel is #mendoi @ irc.rizon.net
our partners on Gundam 00, Conclave, also have their channel on rizon,
#conclave .

our website is http://www.mendoi-fansubs.com/
Gotcha, thanks a lot for the info.
Old 2007-10-14, 18:34   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
My mistake, I'm using a weird build of mPlayer for OSX and the subtitles enable/disable feature is buggy. I realized after I saw that you had a patch for your episode that it was more likely that you were using softsubs.

The episode 1 discussion thread did have two screenshots comparing Anonymous' episode with Conclave-Mendoi, and C-M's definitely looks sharper in the details.
Old 2007-10-14, 18:52   Link #17
Navitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
@Navitron

I don't see what's the problem with people playing back 720p files.

Mplayer works great for people without a video card.

I use a combination of CoreAVC, CoreAAC, and Media Player Classic for hardware playback and it works great on a 4 year old Dell PC.

I do support simultaneous SD 480p Xvid/Divx5/6 AVI and High-Def 720p/1080i MP4/MKV releases however.

Most people still use Windows Media Player to play back files and it wouldn't be fair to alienate them.

Not everyone can be bothered to search for media players, download and tweak decoder settings, et cetera.
Some people just don't want to get out of there comfort zones they know how to run there current divx/xvid codec and avi containers. When someone comes along that wants to move that bar up to the next level, the average user freaks out. Codecs and all that is still in the realm of moderate to advance computer literacy (though with codec packs like CCCP & K-lite I dont see how that could be ) It might be brainless to install one more thing to watch a h264 but people just don't wanna leave there comfort zone, "if it works fine don't change it."

"If it works fine don't change it" - Thats a nice line, yes audio cassettes are just fine don't change to CDs. No no VCRs work fine we don't need any of that DVD stuff. We don't need cars we have horses ~see my point?

Sometimes you just have to shove it down there throats, if they don't like it they just have to deal with it.
Navitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 23:56   Link #18
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I agree with this, considering that the more advanced codecs offer so much more, better subs, better audio better quality overall. It's not like CCCP is complicated, its pretty much the standard for fansubs. I mean it's a free fansub, people work hard on these things, it wouldn't hurt for end users to show some initiative and use proper tools for this resource. If they want it bad enough they'll find a way. And it's not like hardware requirements for playback is ridiculous anyway
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 02:20   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
And it's not like hardware requirements for playback is ridiculous anyway
That's an easy statement to make when your own machine isn't struggling.
Old 2007-10-16, 06:04   Link #20
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
That's an easy statement to make when your own machine isn't struggling.
My 1.5 GHZ Willamette ran most MKV encoded files without any problems.... The real problem is that most users have so much bloat/spyware on his or her computer that even a Q6600 wouldn't be enough to run a H.264 file.

Thankfully, it seems like that using 720p raws when available has caught on in the fansubbing community. .avi files look like ass on most 24"+ monitors.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote