Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-13, 16:24   Link #301
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
Oh man. The Limited Edition has already sold out on Playasia. I've pre-ordered the regular edition (the limited edition was too pricey for me), but I wonder if that version will sell out fast too.
I preordered my LE copy from Amazon back in December when pre-orders first started, but wow, really? I didn't expect it would be THAT popular...
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:50   Link #302
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
One of the reviewers on Dengeki who's been keeping up on this game's development played the whole game and finished it. While I avoided the details of the review, his conclusion was that Root Double is, in his opinion, Nakazawa's greatest work yet, and is the best Visual Novel of this year so far.

Now I'm even more excited... there's only about another week to go!
I just read that review completely myself. I can understand wanting to avoid the spoilers so that you go into the story with as few expectations as possible. While the spoilers were all "minor" in the eyes of most, the reviewer's small comments about the characters and brief description of the work's inherent themes were, in retrospect, all things that will probably slightly mess with my expectations once I play.

One thing the reviewer said that I found really cool was
Spoiler for the experience of using the RAM system: no story-related spoilers at all:
But from everything he said, it almost sounds like every single aspect of the story was excellent. And to think it'll supposedly take
Spoiler for play time:
hours on average to play (for a native speaker, that is). I also liked how the reviewer said he's never once used the word "masterpiece" in a review before this one.

(Now to wait very patiently for news of a PC port, and I guess observe and confirm the general reception online after this comes out. )
myopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:56   Link #303
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
One thing the reviewer said that I found really cool was
Spoiler for the experience of using the RAM system: no story-related spoilers at all:
What exactly do you mean?

Spoiler for Tsukihime:

Spoiler for Play time:

EDIT:

Spoiler for Play Time 2:

Also, on Nakazawa's Twitter, he says that now he's done with Root Double, he's looking forward to playing "Robotic;Notes", "Time Travelers" and "Danganronpa 2". He also says he'll resume playing "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" (which he's been playing on and off recently, but hasn't been able to play it much due to the finishing touches on Root Double).

Last edited by GundamAce; 2012-06-13 at 18:46.
Old 2012-06-13, 18:52   Link #304
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
What exactly do you mean?

Spoiler for Tsukihime:
Spoiler for Tsukihime:

Or were you just asking about Tsukihime because you wanted to indirectly understand what I meant by the word "rewarded"? If so, I just meant that the reviewer felt that
Spoiler for More details which still don't indicate/spoil anything new regarding the game's structure:
myopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 18:59   Link #305
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Oh, that's what you meant. Yeah, makes sense.

Spoiler for Remember11 Bad Endings:
Old 2012-06-13, 20:22   Link #306
MidoriHiME

This news only makes me sad because it will be years and years before I play this game...but who knows, I might cave and buy it if I can find a friend in Japan willing to painfully work through all the dialogue with me...haha
Old 2012-06-14, 08:53   Link #307
Dusk

I've played the demo and I can understand what the reviewer was feeling when he commented on the RAM system. I won't cite any examples for fear of spoiling your game. The following are information previously posted by GundamAce, but coupled with my comments.

Spoiler:
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 07:23   Link #308
Dusk

http://regista.co.jp/gate/rootw/gate.cgi
Above is the link for the official Root Double web questionnaire. If you've played and completed the game, please log in and complete this questionnaire. In order to make a better game in the future, the production team would like to consider the opinions and perhaps incorporate the requests of the players.

For those who participate in the survey, you will get a free Root Double wallpaper as a gift. Limited to one per person.

You need to enter the login ID and password in order to enter the survey page.
Login ID is "root_w".
Password is the last six digits of the bar code of the product.

Contents from your input may be published on the official website, but your name will be omitted.

*Info found on Nakazawa Takumi's twittter.
Old 2012-06-19, 08:24   Link #309
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

When does it end? I'd like that wallpaper, but I still don't have the game yet, so...
Old 2012-06-19, 19:36   Link #310
Dusk

No idea if there's a dateline. But here's a better look at the wallpaper to whet your appetite.
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/495/495546/
Old 2012-06-21, 12:03   Link #311
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

All right, my Root Double copy finally arrived! As usual, I'll talk about the box itself.

The Limited Edition box is very big- bigger than the PSP Infinity Limited Editions and the Xbox 360 Ever17 LE, but smaller than the Code_18 LE. Each side of the box is different, giving it a rather nice appearance.

Inside the box are 3 cases- the game, the soundtrack, and the Drama CD. The game is... well, its the game.

The soundtrack, composed by Takuma Sato, has two disks. The first disk is comprised of in-game OST, 29 separate tracks. The second disk has 14 tracks- 4 are the OP and ED (both short and long versions), while the remaining 10 are music from Beyond*Beyond's Drama CD.

The Drama CD is of Beyond*Beyond, apparently an in-universe Magical Girl show. There's more details on the reverse side of the case cover, but I'll read it later. It contains 2 CDs, and has 6 episodes all together. Not sure if I'm supposed to listen to it before or after the game, but I'll just play it safe and listen to it after.

I'll probably start uploading the OST either today or tomorrow, but for now, here's the full OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47m1DNRXF0

I'd love to start playing now, but I have a few obligations I must attend to first.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:23   Link #312
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Okay, opening the game, I can already access the Extras menu. According to the menu, I have the following list:

Endings: 37 (largest yet)
Scene Titles: 464 (WAY more than Remember11, which had 154, and way more than I/O, which had 251)
CGs/Album: 162 (Roughly in between Remember11, which had 116, and I/O, which had 214)
Music: 32 (standard)
Messages (lines read): 55348 (Way more than I/O, which had 37721)
SSS branches: 544 (as these kinds of branches are way different than anything there's been before, I can't really comment on it)
TIPS: 166 (Much less than I/O, which had 256)

Looks like I'm in for one hell of a ride!
Old 2012-06-21, 12:37   Link #313
Elvin

5450 copies sold first week, ouch I think it's been marketed fairly well for a VN. Wonder why there's so little interest @_@
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 12:43   Link #314
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Keep in mind that it's facing harsh competition from other big games right now. In particular, it faces direct competition with Robotic;Notes in the console VN area, both being released at roughly the same time.
Old 2012-06-21, 13:16   Link #315
Elvin

Sigh. I at least hope they make back their investment I didn't expect f/sn numbers, but I was at least anticipating it to be in the 5 digits. We won't see our PC port at this rate.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 10:20   Link #316
Dusk

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/703/703104/
Above is an article from Dengeki ASCII titled "Why is Root Double a Masterpiece?"

A brief summary for those who don't read Japanese.
1) "These days, working people have no time to spend on games. Therefore, time is valuable, and you wouldn't want to play a game for an hour and feel like you've wasted your time because the game was boring. But Root Double was constantly interesting, from the beginning to the end, which is the ideal situation for an AVG that is very hard to achieve. After the introduction/prologue, incidents start happening one after the other, creating a sense of urgency that continues until the end."

tl;dr - "The pacing is very good."

2) A system that fuse with the story completely. The new system allows the player to further empathize with the protagonist. The result is causing the player to feel a sense of urgency during a crisis situation, or feeling emotional during a touching scene.

tl:dr - "The new system is very fresh and different from normal AVG, and still ends up being pleasant."
Old 2012-06-24, 00:05   Link #317
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Okay, so I got the "Normal Ending" of Root A. There must be a Good Ending that's yet to be found, but as to how to get it, I'm not entirely sure yet, so I'm debating whether to go find the Good Ending first or start on Root B. Well, anyway, here are my impressions from my first run-through.

Spoiler for Root A (through Normal Ending) review (no spoilers):
Old 2012-06-24, 12:06   Link #318
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I got Root A's Good Ending. Again, wow, an thrilling ending, one that still poses many questions. It put the protagonist in a position I've never seen before in most VNs, really adding to the tension. I had to use a walkthrough to get this ending, though.

I've discovered something interesting. It seems that like the VN Soul Link, there are multiple endings within this route that you can get. To clarify, in Soul Link, there's three girls avaliable in the second chapter, but no matter who you choose, the ending is mostly the same. However, on your first playthrough you can only get one of them, then after you've cleared it once, the other two become avaliable. It's the same case in Root Double: on your first playthrough, you can only get Kazami, but on your second playthrough, Jun and Ena become avaliable. I'm wondering if I should repeat this now or just go on to Root B...

Anyway, this route still retains its 9.5 score. Can't wait to see what's left in store for me!
Old 2012-06-24, 20:43   Link #319
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I finished uploading the OST to my Youtube account.
Old 2012-06-25, 00:05   Link #320
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Okay, I was officially wrong about the whole "Soul Link-esque" multiple endings thing for Root A. I did it for Jun, and I found out that all it really did was add an additional SSS prompt towards the end of the route, which, when entered correctly, gives an additional scene (and altered a few scenes with Kazami), but the ending was the same. All this really ended up doing was adding yet another mystery to my ever-increasing number of questions (I'm up to 40 now). I'll go and tackle the Ena one next, then it's on to Root B.

EDIT 6/26: Okay, I got my first Bad Ending in Root B. Moral of the story- don't let yourself get biased due to the events of Root A.

Last edited by GundamAce; 2012-06-26 at 14:19.

Tags
visual novel