AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-28, 23:43   Link #341
Garby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well I think for certain countries, the release date was on August, but I think for some other countries, they probably extended it to September.
Eh? Several days ago the Movie (News and Anticipation) thread had confirmation of 12/18 posted.

You can still go to amazon.co.jp to see this for yourself (you couldn't when they first posted this), but if you go there, and set it to English mode, you can see that November has the first 2 Haruhi seasons coming to Blu-Ray, as well as Haruhi-Chan, and then December has the movie.
Old 2010-08-29, 05:59   Link #342
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

When was it ever supposed to be coming out in August or September? We've known for a while that it would still be in theaters (or be just leaving them) at this time, and movie DVDs take longer to come out than TV DVDs. Smart money's been on December 18th from the beginning, due to the in-story importance of the date.
Old 2010-09-06, 17:44   Link #343
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since the DVD is not out yet in the United States I did a quick relook at the camrip that floats around. I'm still amazed that the film's quality it so high that I forget it is a poor quality camrip, even though I've actually seen it in a theater.
Old 2010-09-08, 15:50   Link #344
Othello~
*Author

You're lucky you were able to see it though . I'm was restricted because we had no money to travel all the way west. I would go to the New York one but even then it would be too much . This is how broke people live their lives, in pure agony. I just hope it comes out soon on DVD.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:59   Link #345
Pikasprey
Wannabe writer

I was exicited when I found out there was a movie. But I'm NOT watching a cam rip. I'll wait until the DVD comes out to North America thank you very much.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:57   Link #346
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or you could try to hope they have a showing relatively close to you at a convention say. Don't know if eastern Canada will have any showings, but there will be one in New York in October.
Old 2010-09-13, 21:01   Link #347
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Wow! Very impressive! 2 hours 43 worth, a regular half-season arc in a single sitting.
Spoiler for Movie impressions:
I must say I quite enjoyed this film!
Old 2010-09-27, 13:26   Link #348
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasprey View Post
I was exicited when I found out there was a movie. But I'm NOT watching a cam rip. I'll wait until the DVD comes out to North America thank you very much.
Wow, I love your impression/review of this great movie. I feel the same way for Yuki's character too, her overall actions really fill in her character.
Old 2010-09-27, 13:30   Link #349
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Okay, I just thought of something. This is a 10-second thought, so please correct me where I go wrong (and I'm sure there are a few places).

Yuki's people recognize Haruhi as the potential for evolution, right? Haruhi is almost identical to them, except while they can only modify existing data, she can create data. She's essentially a half-step above them.

Spoiler for everyone else is doing it:

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2010-09-28 at 00:55.
Old 2010-09-27, 14:07   Link #350
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Spoiler for So what's the deal here?:

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-09-27 at 14:43.
Old 2010-09-27, 22:12   Link #351
jin jin5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Spoiler for So what's the deal here?:
dunno
the entire choice was set up by yuki on how kyon wanted the world to be normal or something and gave him a choice whether the world would remain same or be "normal" according to kyon's standards. Thats what I tl;dr'ed this and from reading novel
Old 2010-09-28, 01:30   Link #352
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
But did her people want to have that evolved power, or were they just interested in observing it?
I would argue the former, since the whole draw of potential is the possibility of realizing it. Also, in the first book, Yuki says, "The Integrated Data Entity is very interested in all forms of organic life on Earth. It believes that by observation, it can find the solution to its own evolutionary dead end." In other words, though it wants to, the ISDE can't evolve anymore. Not knowing what else to do, it began observation. They were interested in observing Haruhi BECAUSE they wanted the evolved power.

Spoiler for spoily (and very angry) rant:

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2010-09-28 at 03:19.
Old 2010-09-28, 05:29   Link #353
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Red face

Spoiler for discussion:

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-09-28 at 05:39.
Old 2010-09-28, 12:34   Link #354
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Spoiler for discussion:
Old 2010-09-28, 17:37   Link #355
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oddly I think you are over-analyzing this and making it out to be more than it it.

Consider the lives involved. Then consider what they likely were before Haruhi changed them the first time. We don't know how many times Haruhi has changed the world before Kyon meets her in High School. For all we know, the Alternate of Nagato's is the original pathway before Haruhi changed everything.

Before condemning anyone, consider Haruhi herself first.

Also consider one more possibility....Haruhi wanted "sliders" as well...dimentional travelers. Who's to say anything was destroyed as it is possible all still exists...in an alternal universe. From Haruhi's world she was making with just herself and Kyon at the start, to each world of the Endless Eight on September 1st....they might all still exist in one form or another.
Old 2010-09-28, 17:41   Link #356
Garby

Spoiler for discussion:
Old 2010-09-29, 13:00   Link #357
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Oddly I think you are over-analyzing this and making it out to be more than it it.
I don't believe it's odd to think that at all.

Quote:
Consider the lives involved. Then consider what they likely were before Haruhi changed them the first time. We don't know how many times Haruhi has changed the world before Kyon meets her in High School. For all we know, the Alternate of Nagato's is the original pathway before Haruhi changed everything.

Before condemning anyone, consider Haruhi herself first.
At least in Haruhi's defense, it's unintentional. Yes, when everything started three years prior, it's very likely that a natural reality was replaced with a supernatural one (the only alternative that comes to mind is that existence itself began three years ago, as per one of the Organization's theories). But we can't blame Vesuvius for destroying Pompeii, can we? How can we turn around and blame Haruhi, then? We know for a fact that Haruhi only subscribes to her fantasies of aliens and espers and all because they're just fantasies. Remember how she felt in Remote Island Syndrome upon hearing that a murder had actually happened?

Yuki, on the other hand, knew full well what she was doing and did it anyway. Sure, you could argue it was the deterministic result of that "buggy data," but there are still ways to deal with that. If my computer has a virus, it doesn't matter if I don't know how to clean it. I can still take action like unplugging it from the network or shutting it down. Yuki didn't do anything comparable to that.

Quote:
Also consider one more possibility....Haruhi wanted "sliders" as well...dimentional travelers. Who's to say anything was destroyed as it is possible all still exists...in an alternal universe. From Haruhi's world she was making with just herself and Kyon at the start, to each world of the Endless Eight on September 1st....they might all still exist in one form or another.
There are two things wrong with the new world being an alternate reality. The first is that there would be no reason for Yuki to bring Kyon along; his alternate version would already exist in that world. Furthermore, there would be no need to make a choice between the two worlds. Yuki could leave the original one and enter the alternate one, and everyone else could stay the same.

The second reason lies in the solution to the problem. If Kyon was simply in an alternate reality, he would just have to reinsert himself into the original one. Everyone would be all "where were you the past couple of days," but there would be no major problems. However, that wasn't the solution. Kyon had to go back and prevent that alternate reality from ever forming. If it was just a parallel universe, there would be no need, since he and everyone else would be completely unaffected. The only task would be to bring Yuki back to the real world.
Old 2010-09-30, 00:20   Link #358
ijuinkun

I think that Koizumi's "branching tree" diagram is useful in this context. Essentially, the timeline split at the critical point, and the only way for somebody to get from one branch to the other is to back up to the critical point and take the other path--you can not go between branches without having "sidewise" time-traveling abilities, in contrast with the forward/rewind of the time travel methods described thus far. Therefore, once Haruhipowers had been sealed away within the Shoushitsu timeline, there was no escape from it except by rewinding.

*snip*

That said, the only difference in the world that significantly affected the "mundane" people was the juggling of the schools whereby Kouyouen Academy became co-ed, North High lost 3 classrooms (1-9 and presumably 2-9 and 3-9 which would be without a ground floor under them with the loss of 1-9 if they had remained), and the relocation of people resulting from that. A few dozen (hundred?) Espers got their lives changed as well. The big BIG changes from the cosmic perspective were the loss of the IDSE and the Canopy Domain--the main data superpowers--and possibly all other data life forms, and also whatever alterations to the future era that Mikuru's people are from (potentially affecting anywhere from the would-be time travelers themselves all the way up to all of mankind).

On the gripping hand, though, and this is pure speculation, Yuki did not necessarily have to alter the entire universe. Given humanity's lack of interstellar reach, she could have fashioned a solar-system-in-a-bottle, where everything inside the solar system is the "new reality" and the stars are just a projection of electromagnetic and gravitational images. In short, the new Earth would be inside of a "Closed Space" in Haurhi terms, without any need to rebuild the other 99.9999999999999+% of the cosmos other than sealing out any intruders.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-09-30 at 00:45. Reason: Removed novel spoiler material.
Old 2010-10-09, 01:50   Link #359
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Spoiler for discussion:
He was given the right to make the choice. If you can't make a selfish choice, is it really a choice?
Old 2010-10-10, 20:11   Link #360
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:

Spoiler for discussion:
If my message is simply a repeat of what you all are discussing, please tell me so I can delete it for simple repeating.

Spoiler for Discussion:

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-10-11 at 13:27.
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya