AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Old 2004-03-17, 11:53   Link #1
Za Paper

Midori no Hibi [Anime Discussion]

Just saw the preview and this show looks hilarious. I can just imagine some of the twisted jokes that are going to come out on this one.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 12:04   Link #2
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Just saw the preview and this show looks hilarious. I can just imagine some of the twisted jokes that are going to come out on this one.
Yeah, the manga is brilliant. I hope the anime lives up to it, the preview looks pretty good.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 12:39   Link #3
7thMethuselah

OMG where do they keep getting the idea's

The preview was rather hilarious, I'm gonna check this one for sure because it appears we can expect quite a bit of comedy here
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 12:56   Link #4
vio5555

What exactly is this show, anyone care to give a quick preview?
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 13:02   Link #5
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

This is one of my most eagerly anticipated animes for April. I read the manga, I thought it was intriguing and hilarious.
Spoiler:
However, the story is dragging a bit. And I don't like the way Ayase is drawn in the anime though...oh well. Damn it, I really wanted to see Rin. We'll see what this becomes.

EDIT: The story is about this tough delinquent who awesome at fighting due a special move with his right hand that I won't spoil it for you. Anyways, since he has a reputation of being a fighting delinquent, he hasn't had much luck with girls. Then one day, a girl appears on his right hand. And story goes from there, ecchi and hilarity ensues.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 13:18   Link #6
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
This is one of my most eagerly anticipated animes for April. I read the manga, I thought it was intriguing and hilarious.
Spoiler:
However, the story is dragging a bit. And I don't like the way Ayase is drawn in the anime though...oh well. Damn it, I really wanted to see Rin. We'll see what this becomes.

EDIT: The story is about this tough delinquent who awesome at fighting due a special move with his right hand that I won't spoil it for you. Anyways, since he has a reputation of being a fighting delinquent, he hasn't had much luck with girls. Then one day, a girl appears on his right hand. And story goes from there, ecchi and hilarity ensues.
sounds good, im getting the preview, thanks
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 13:31   Link #7
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
....they all look so wierd in color and animated . Midori-chan still looks cute, and the animation looks spiffy. lets hope it translates into a good anime~
Old 2004-03-17, 14:42   Link #8
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

So that girl shown in the beginning of the promo becomes his right hand...literally....and permanently? :P
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 14:43   Link #9
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Perfect timing, I needed a place to vent.

First off, hi. I'm Snoopy, if you don't read mangas then you probably don't know me. Regardless, my team's the one that scans and translates the Midori no Hibi manga (have been for over a year now, actually). And I'm incredibly turned off right now.

First of all, I love Midori no Hibi. It's getting kinda monotonous in the weeklies lately, but it's still good and I still enjoy it. And what makes me enjoy it isn't the stupid concept or the stupid characters (although they are funny, the concept is too out there to ride on comedy alone, at least in my opinion), but the visual aspects of Kazuro Inoue's artwork. The way he portrays things and his character's transformations and so forth. Why do I say this? Because the anime certainly seems to suck monkey balls in this aspect. Geez, they turned Midori into a 12 year old... but the worst part is the scene from the end of chapter 1 where Seiji talks about protecting the secret and stuff (where he's all solemn and kinda feels sorry for Midori). I have examples from the manga and anime linked below to show what I'm talking about to all the people who've never heard of this series before (and you call yourselves fans... ). I know, I'm nit picking it, but it's only 1 and a half minutes and I found like 4 scenes taken directly from the manga that lost all impact due to the crap anime character designs.

http://www.snoopycool.com/anime.jpg
http://www.snoopycool.com/manga.png

Also, as a comment regarding someone up there saying that Midori is ecchi. Just to clarify, it's NOT an ecchi series. At least not in the same way as Hanaukyo Maids or something of that nature. They get into situations you'd get into if you had a chick on your arm (bathing, bathroom, etc) but the story doesn't go out of its way to put Midori into blatantly sexual situations, and Seiji doesn't ever have dirty thoughts about her (at least not on camera). And if they change that in the anime I'll be one pissy little bastard.

Well, that's my 2 cents. And I know I'm premature with it since it's only a preview and evertthing I mentioned could very well be fixed in the episode and stuff, but I figure they'd want to use the best footage they had to make the promo short so now I'm really worried. SO to sum it up, I feel that what makes the Midori manga great (as opposed to good) has been lost in the transfer from manga to anime. Of course that's based solely on the promo footage.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 15:14   Link #10
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I can see what you mean by the art style, it happens alot in anime, look at Naruto and that one Korean studio, it's not only drawn different, but in my opinion, it just looks terrible at times.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 16:08   Link #11
Scooterboy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Perfect timing, I needed a place to vent.

...but I figure they'd want to use the best footage they had to make the promo short so now I'm really worried. SO to sum it up, I feel that what makes the Midori manga great (as opposed to good) has been lost in the transfer from manga to anime. Of course that's based solely on the promo footage.
First off, thank you so much for your work on the manga! What an unbelieveable job you folks have done.

In regards to the transition from manga to anime, the animated medium definitely requires some trade-offs. The most obvious is that the character designs are vastly simplified. However, that is (to some degree) made up for with the addition of color. On the other hand, manga is limited by not having music or voice actors. I'm very pleased with the voice actor for Midori, she seems to fit the voice I heard in my head while reading the manga. I look forward to hearing the other characters as well.

I have high hopes for this show. The concept is pretty cute and there are a lot of possibilities for the anime. I won't mind too much if the anime strays from the manga--in my mind, they are supposed to be seperate stories. However, I *will* mind if they change the motivations and personalities.
Scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 16:09   Link #12
mirichan

Hey Snoopy...

First of all, I love what you are doing with the translation of the manga... it's extremely good.

Second... I'm with you. This story could have turned ecchi real fast but it's everything BUT that in the manga. I hope the series will follow the manga or I'll drop it like a ton of bricks.

My enjoyment of the manga is too strong to let it be ruined by ecchi fanboyness!
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 16:40   Link #13
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Red face

Humm, I think you give unfair weight to your opinion by comparing a frame of manga with a frame of animation. They are very different things.

Having said that I do agree that the character designs appear to be a little flat; less interesting. I believe it's quite common in anime and possibly why a lot of people who start with manga end up being unimpressed by animated equivalents. I've seen the promo a few times myself and part of me agrees with that point of view... however, another part sees it as having more potential than draw-backs.

I believe it would be very hard for every frame of animation to cover the depth needed for one frame of manga -- naturally -- you're not expected to stare at the animation frame on its own. This is a pitfall I think people often fall into when comparing the two types.

In the manga all you get to present your story/ideas are the text and the "visual aspects". That's it. If you don't make the visual aspects interesting and deep you'd better have Grade A dialogue or it won't be as enjoyable. The rules totally change when you get more frames, movement and sound. Put simply, anime uses a different "tool set" to manga; to criticise one for not using the tried and tested tools of the other feels unfair to me...

Also, although I think you agree, you can't tell from a promo how well the director, animators and voice actors have used the tools available to them. The flow/pace and subtleties that may only be visible for mere moments could be edited out to make the promo shorter or more snappy. Sound effects, dialogue and voice acting that can alter a scene completely are lost when dubbed over with words from somewhere else.

Basically I'm apprehensive too. I really enjoy MnH (and snoopy, you have my sincere thanks for making it available to me) -- I just don't want people to write off the anime too soon. If people start watching it always looking for where the styles differ (instead of trying to embrace the differences in the two mediums) they won't enjoy it.

Edit: Ugh, too many distractions... I took so long writing this post, it looks like Scooterboy made all my points for me oh well...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 16:46   Link #14
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirichan
Hey Snoopy...

First of all, I love what you are doing with the translation of the manga... it's extremely good.

Second... I'm with you. This story could have turned ecchi real fast but it's everything BUT that in the manga. I hope the series will follow the manga or I'll drop it like a ton of bricks.

My enjoyment of the manga is too strong to let it be ruined by ecchi fanboyness!
True, but (IMO) the anime could as easily be ruined by being overly sentimental and not having enough comedy.

I agree with snoopy (Thanks for the manga! Everyone go read it!) about the art not being quite as good as the manga. (as far as we can tell yet from the promo)

But for a manga to anime conversion this is about as true to the manga (in looks) as it gets. Look at Flame of Recca for example, (that manga was also translated by Snoopy) the anime art for FoR was fugly.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 16:47   Link #15
mirichan

Personally, I don't mind the visual differences between a manga and its anime counterpart.

What I am afraid of is that they turn the story into a slew of ecchi moments. That would be the death of me and I would not follow the anime if they do.

I hope they won't... I find Midori no Hibi to be a very charming manga and I love how the bad boy changes the more he's in contact with Midori... I am looking forward to the first few episodes...
Old 2004-03-17, 16:50   Link #16
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
True, but (IMO) the anime could as easily be ruined by being overly sentimental and not having enough comedy.
I hope they can keep what made the manga so good... there has been enough ecchiness in the last year and I hope this disease will not taint this particular series because unless it turned ecchi after volume 4, it's never been the case in the manga...

And I'm trying real hard to get more of my friends to watch the anime when it finally starts airing next month but I doubt they will if it turns into a panty-boob fiesta.
Old 2004-03-17, 17:07   Link #17
jennwenn

Quote:
Personally, I don't mind the visual differences between a manga and its anime counterpart.

What I am afraid of is that they turn the story into a slew of ecchi moments. That would be the death of me and I would not follow the anime if they do.

I hope they won't... I find Midori no Hibi to be a very charming manga and I love how the bad boy changes the more he's in contact with Midori... I am looking forward to the first few episodes...
Same here. My biggest fear is also that Midori no Hibi will turn ecchi. Ovedose of fanservice can ruin a show for me. Also, for some reason Midori seemed extra annoying in this preview. She's starting to get annoying to me in the manga as well, so this is my personal opinion of the character and not really a comment on the anime adaptation.

I think its too early to judge though, and I'm looking forward to watching the first episode.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 18:04   Link #18
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Based on the promo it doesn't look like it'll be too ecchi--compared to the Ai Yori Aoshis and Onegai Twinae of the world it looks downright tame, and the manga isn't exactly ecchi-free, since you see Midori topless more than once. I just hope the anime keeps the same overall feel and plotline as the manga--watching the promo brought a smile to my face, seeing the characters from the manga in moving, living color.

Snoopycool is a God for translating the manga, but I was more excited than disappointed by the promo--it's hard to tell how much monkey ballage something will suck from 90 seconds of footage, and I didn't feel the art was that bad. It's always hard to meet high expectations, and with every anime series I've ever seen people will say the manga is better (which like books being better than movies based on them, is probably true most of the time) but I'm optimistic that this could be the best romantic comedy anime to come out in a long time.

Just my ¥2 as I avoid doing real work this afternoon...
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 21:29   Link #19
lynne_huang

yeah thanks a mil to Snoopy for doing all the translations of the manga, can't wait for the anime to come out! woohoo!
lynne_huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 21:47   Link #20
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
And I'm trying real hard to get more of my friends to watch the anime when it finally starts airing next month but I doubt they will if it turns into a panty-boob fiesta.
At least you don't have to worry about a lot of panty-shots since Midori doesn't wear panties.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote