Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-10, 23:50   Link #9801
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Oh, I didn't know you could pinpoint it so well. The last map with the estimated position I saw was 35 miles west of LA, 10 miles northwest of Catalina Island. But since you know better, I defer to your superior judgment.
Which is in US territorial waters.

Quote:
If you had really watched the video footage, you would have seen that it was easily seen with the naked eye from LA harbor.
Yet no one else saw the thing, as the video itself says. Funny, you'd think a missile would have been noticed by someone else. Yet it wasn't.

Quote:
That's not my quote, be so polite and don't do that. So your logic is that no submarine could have ever shot missiles at America from comparable proximity, because it never happened? Of course the reason for that might be that this would have triggered a war... but that's okay, please believe that your fleet is so superior that it couldn't happen.
It's stupid to do so. It gives you no strategic or tactical advantage, for a lot more risk.

Quote:
You had this strange argument going "raah, a missile sub platform would fire from water with more depth", while I pointed out that this wasn't a shooting war, but rather (if it indeed was a nonamerican launch) a publicity stunt, for which these kind of tactical considerations wouldn't apply. But I'm thoroughly impressed that you know what the American reaction would be.
Except sending a sub into US waters to launch a missile even as a test does risk your sub getting shot at. The USN doesn't know you're just conducting a test, and if they see you penetrate US waters... It's stupid, and you can do the same damn thing from further out. If the point of the test is to show you can hit the US, you don't have to get in that close.

As for knowing the US response, once again, sailing a CBG through the Taiwain Strait is how the US typically does it to China.

Quote:
If you mean the rocks to the west of the presumed launch site, they were ALSO more than 3 miles away from there. Anyway, w/e. It's all yours.
Where are you even getting that 3 miles number from? International waters extends beyond that officially, and the US claims further out than that.

Quote:
He still doesn't get it.
You're the one that doesn't get it.

Quote:
Oh really. That's what I meant with arrogant hybris. But okay, you win. You're absolutely going to show everybody in the world who's boss, nuclear power or not, away match or not. Screw logistics. Screw numbers. Oooookay.
You'll note I claimed conventional war. I did not claim anything about a nuclear war. If you look at the logistics and numbers for a conventional war, it favors the US.

Quote:
Have you ever wondered why there was never a shooting war between nuclear powers yet?
No, I have not wondered that because there have been shooting wars between nuclear powers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-So...order_conflict

Turns out countries are reluctant to escalate with the threat of nuclear annihilation unless there is an absolute need to. In addition to this admittedly minor conflict, US planners in the 1980s determined there was no benefit to the use of tactical nuclear weapons in event of war with the Soviet Union, given the risk of escalation vs their minor impact in a tactical sense, plus a reassessment of the ability of NATO to hold a Soviet offensive conventionally. I can link to these if you wish.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2010-11-11 at 00:02.
Old 2010-11-11, 07:27   Link #9802
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Yemen mail bomb could have exploded over Quebec
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1794628/
Old 2010-11-11, 13:10   Link #9803
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Russian 'double agent' named by Moscow newspaper

And now Anna Chapman fans from the west can blame who is responsible for her deportation.
Old 2010-11-11, 13:14   Link #9804
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Russian 'double agent' named by Moscow newspaper

And now Anna Chapman fans from the west can blame who is responsible for her deportation.
THe russian are probably more angry ( and more likely to take action) than those ''fans'' .
Old 2010-11-11, 13:41   Link #9805
flying ^

pedo-guide gets 101,000 sales boost!!!

http://gawker.com/5686953/internet-o...nt-sales-boost
http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/10/amazon-fail/
Old 2010-11-11, 14:19   Link #9806
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Of course it did... If all these news outlets really had children in mind they wouldn't give it all this free publicity. But instead they will probably continue giving it publicity just because it gets them ratings.
Old 2010-11-11, 14:41   Link #9807
flying ^

I've seen some stuff on amazon.jp and it's much worse.

Those who reacted on the book above should also channel that energy and go after pedo mangas being sold on US owned amazon.jp!
Old 2010-11-11, 18:42   Link #9808
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
I've seen some stuff on amazon.jp and it's much worse.

Those who reacted on the book above should also channel that energy and go after pedo mangas being sold on US owned amazon.jp!
Why are we going after manga and books, when you should be fighting the actual predators. The people who actually harm children not imaginary children. Banning the books that you deem "pedo manga" is about as effective as prohibition, except you don't even attempt to solve the problem. We need to protect our children in sane and rational manners, such as putting them in safe situations, protecting them by teaching them important rules, like don't trust strangers, etc. banning a book with depictions of offesnive material is probably the most useless solution to the threat of child predators, and child predators don't just come in the form of sexual abuse by pedophiles, you also have to consider phsyical and mental abuse from unfit parents, there are many more pressing things facing the children of today, and unfortunately "pedo manga" is the least of their worries.

http://gizmodo.com/5687692/you-write...p#viewcomments

Journalism has officially died today, people getting paid to professionally cover news items bitching about other people's opinions about their reporting and supposed bias. It's a sad day but professionalism and journalism have suffered a great blow, guess feelings and opinions matter more than facts. this really is a mad world we live in.

Last edited by Nosauz; 2010-11-11 at 19:08.
Old 2010-11-11, 21:47   Link #9809
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Haiti cholera toll at 800
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6AA5PC20101112
It will probably even get worse soon.
Old 2010-11-11, 22:19   Link #9810
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

US and Indian filmmakers sign Hollywood-Bollywood deal
Old 2010-11-11, 22:44   Link #9811
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Jesus Christ won't anyone send some boxes of Co-Trimoxazole vials down to Haiti?
Old 2010-11-11, 23:44   Link #9812
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Jesus Christ won't anyone send some boxes of Co-Trimoxazole vials down to Haiti?
maybe... with 'strings' attached (typical of western nations)
Old 2010-11-11, 23:59   Link #9813
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
also there's more to than just pedo mangas and rapelay!

pls browse amazon.jp media and you'll see the poisonous media they sell there.

There should be US pressure (with the same energy we saw today) to get stuff like this out of US-owned amazon!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2330433946
Old 2010-11-12, 02:26   Link #9814
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
also there's more to than just pedo mangas and rapelay!

pls browse amazon.jp media and you'll see the poisonous media they sell there.

There should be US pressure (with the same energy we saw today) to get stuff like this out of US-owned amazon!
No. It is not for Amazon to decide what material is and is not up to some arbitrary moral standard imported from another culture. Amazon is a store; they sell published works. They abide by the laws of the country in which they sell. They are under absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to stop selling things just because you don't like the contents. Where are they supposed to draw the line? Who is going to do the content review of thousands upon thousands of works to figure out which works should be banned? Whose standard are they supposed to adhere to? Yours? "America's"? Shall we start burning these heretical books as well? No, this is the epitome of short-sighted, poorly-conceived, bigoted moral-crusading stupidity, and Amazon should certainly have no part in it.

Because I have to assume that your purpose was to troll, I trust this will be the end of such posts from you.
Old 2010-11-12, 03:16   Link #9815
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
The link that I posted above (facebook) is the same stuff (so-called child/preteen modelings) that NGOs/police in most developed countries tried to make it unprofitable and eradicate it by deeming it illegal.

I've followed Japanese news. They reported on this stuff with concern but their NGO seem to be weak to affect change.

also something is cooking up in Kyoto. They are about to do something that's revolutionary (at least in Japanese standards).
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/membe...0100815a8.html
All of that is fine. It's the right and responsibility of the local government to establish and enforce the legal standards within the community. It is up to the citizens to elect governmental officials that represent their wishes (granted that it never works that cleanly). And we have international NGOs that exist to, among other things, promote common legal and ethical standards around the world, while speaking against injustice and tyranny. I may not agree with all the things these different groups try to promote, nor that sovereign nations should be so quick to force their moral stance onto others, but this is the way of the world. Governments, laws, and politics to bring coordinated societal change.

This has nothing to do with anything that made your previous post objectionable.
Old 2010-11-12, 03:49   Link #9816
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

US unveils anti-smoking scare photos on cigarette boxes
I didn't realize it took this long for the US to put such ads on cigarette boxes.

Of course, there's a chance Moral Guardians will complain it's too graphic and scary... which is the point of these ads.
Old 2010-11-12, 03:58   Link #9817
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I didn't realize it took this long for the US to put such ads on cigarette boxes.

Of course, there's a chance Moral Guardians will complain it's too graphic and scary... which is the point of these ads.
I've dissected a lung lobe with squamous cell carcinoma from a 20 pack year smoker.

It was one of the most horrifying pieces of organic tissue I have ever seen.
Old 2010-11-12, 04:00   Link #9818
flying ^

Quote:

This is for those who just can't help it
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...rticle_related
Old 2010-11-12, 04:03   Link #9819
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I've dissected a lung lobe with squamous cell carcinoma from a 20 pack year smoker.

It was one of the most horrifying pieces of organic tissue I have ever seen.
It's stuff like these that make me ever greatful that I've never so much as touched a cigarette in my life. I'm quite surprised it did take so long for the US to do that, considering how many smoking restrictions they're putting in place. It's better to just let the people know the kind of consequences that they'll face.

And the Moral Guards can go put a stick up their backsides. It's more moral to let the people know the real danger of it rather than leaving them in the dark. Telling them the truth is far more honorable than sugarcoating the story.
Old 2010-11-12, 05:36   Link #9820
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The link that I posted above (facebook) is the same stuff (so-called child/preteen modelings) that NGOs/police in most developed countries tried to make it unprofitable and eradicate it by deeming it illegal.

I've followed Japanese news. They reported on this stuff with concern but their NGO seem to be weak to affect change.

also something is cooking up in Kyoto. They are about to do something that's revolutionary (at least in Japanese standards).
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/membe...0100815a8.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like people and NGOs who channeled their rage on a book yesterday are discovering new ones (photos) that are being regularly posted on US-owned yahoo and amazon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40137046...ience-security

Quote:
...meanwhile, books and videos that feature scantily clad pre-pubescent Eastern European and Asian girls, specifically stated by an independent website as being between the ages of 11 and 17, are listed on Amazon properties in Japan and elsewhere, and on Yahoo in Japan. That there are more books and videos of this nature on Amazon and other online retailers is highly likely.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international