AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-04, 02:08   Link #1
gh0stmice
*Artist

Smile im looking for something like elfen lied...has to reach a level that elfen did

well...i saw elfen lied and seriously threw my hands up to god and thanked him....thanked him that there could be something soo brilliant and pure in this world....i have pretty high excpectations now, because of elfen lied....i just hope something will be able to tickle that special spot the way it did...ooo god i can still here that song wash over every nerve in my body w/ that beatiful and fulfilling gregorian chant...it'd be awesome if i could find something that could transcend the brilliance of that series...so help me find it plzzz
Old 2007-12-04, 03:11   Link #2
jedinat

Well what anime have you seen, and what are you looking for? I can think of plenty I think are better than Elfen Lied.

Perhaps you'd like Noir? It's a fairly dark anime about two young women assassins who have troubled pasts. Nice music, pleasant animation, with some decent depth.

Last edited by jedinat; 2007-12-04 at 03:49. Reason: typo
Old 2007-12-04, 03:41   Link #3
gh0stmice
*Artist

i havn't seen that so ill give it a try....thank you...

im trying to steer clear of anything that has ever been shown on adult swim

im looking for an "expirience"....a series that is pretty deep....not sure if your goin to suggest but plz refrain from these titles-Full Metal alchemist , bleach , naruto and such.....i want to see something moving....not wacky or fluffy....can have action or no action....being sad and making me wanna cry is a plus...

thank you for your help
Old 2007-12-04, 03:58   Link #4
jedinat

Juuni Kokuki is one of my favorite anime. A very deep fantasy world coupled with great character development.

Mushishi is an amazing anime. It's made up of episodic stories focused around one man and creatures called Mushishi. Most of the episodes individually leave you more impacted than many anime series.

Haibane Renmei is really, really good. Slice-of-life fantasy story set in a strange world. Lots of emotion and character depth... one of the best anime ever made, and definitely one of my very favorite.
Old 2007-12-04, 09:53   Link #5
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
I second Haibane Renmei, and I also suggest checking out Toward the Terra, Figure 17, Noein, Simoun and le Chevalier d'Eon.
Old 2007-12-04, 13:15   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I was about to suggest Mushishi and Haibane Renmei but they were already suggested so I'll second them.

SaiKano can be debated as deep or not, but it is definitely moving and along the lines of what you're looking for.
Old 2007-12-04, 13:42   Link #7
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Ahh I was gonna say Haibane Remnei too! Hehe. I strongly suggest it.
Old 2007-12-04, 14:25   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Two of my favorites, Junni Kokki and Noein, are already mentioned in this thread, so I guess I'll have to suggest Monster. Be forewarned, it's a 74-episode psychological thriller, and if you get involved with it, you might lose some sleep.

Another series worth trying out is Dennou Coil, which has just finished in Japan (about 3-4 more episodes left to sub). It's a sci-fi show set in the near future where children (mostly) use special glasses to see a virtual world overlayed on a mid-sized Japanese city. Starts out playful, but the story has a dark side that grows stronger as the series goes on.

You might also find Claymore to your tastes given your response to Elfen Lied; beautiful women use swords and special powers to fight monstrous demons.

All these are unlicensed.

Browse my signature for a few other suggestions.
Old 2007-12-04, 15:01   Link #9
gh0stmice
*Artist

thanks all for your suggestions...i got a few "second nominations and third nominations" so ill start with those..i appreciate your help...ill probably start w/ Haibane Remnei seeing it was mentioned multiple times...
Old 2007-12-04, 15:29   Link #10
Reno

Woooooot tell us what you think!!
Old 2007-12-04, 18:43   Link #11
gh0stmice
*Artist

ahh ive been 2 episodes in to Haibane Remnei and i dont even see a hint of conflict arising.....its really bubbly...ill push through a few more and see if something happens...
Old 2007-12-04, 18:49   Link #12
gh0stmice
*Artist

i do totally dig on mushishi.....thats pretty inventive...i knida like how each episode is tightly bundled up at the end with no cliff hangers...so you can watch an individual episode without freeking out about what happens next...

also should i maybe get a diffrent avatar...it seems no one uses pictures of themselves for thier avatar...im feelin kinda outta the loop...
Old 2007-12-05, 04:07   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Haibane Renmei is kinda...well I only got what it's about 10 minutes after the ending episode.
Old 2007-12-05, 06:18   Link #14
Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stmice View Post
i do totally dig on mushishi.....thats pretty inventive...i knida like how each episode is tightly bundled up at the end with no cliff hangers...so you can watch an individual episode without freeking out about what happens next...
To be honest I didn't really like that it did that.... (I've seen up to episode 5). I mean the individual episodes themselves are good, but they didn't seem to have any link with each and didn't seem to be going anywhere. Buuuut I have high expectations, and, as I said, the episodes themselves are good... I'll keep watching.

Last edited by Reno; 2007-12-06 at 18:12.
Old 2007-12-06, 18:22   Link #15
Reno

Sorry for double post (and bump) but I gotta get this outa my system. I'vejust realized recently that... when you want a deep etc anime, you can't just.... it isn't simply the anime. I mean, I'm watching through Haibane Renmei again (cos I missed it so much), and, yeah I've always loved it... but I was looking at my msn DP earlier (a pic form the anime), and it suddenly hit me how much I love Rakka. And then anime suddenly meant so much more to me! ^_^

Soo yeah what I'm trying to say is... you gotta find the meaning yourself.
Old 2007-12-07, 00:27   Link #16
angel.shade

Higurashi. DOO EET.

It's at least as eff'd up as Elfen Lied was, with the same blend of "what the christ" moments and moe-flavored comedic scenes.

Animation quality is nowhere near Elfen Lied's though. It's not the style of animation one would normally associate with the genre.

But you might not like that every damn episode is a cliffhanger. ><
Old 2007-12-07, 03:59   Link #17
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Elfen Lied is really epic for me, its among some of my favorite animes of all time, if you are looking for something in the same genre, setting, flow, and, mood as Elfin Lied than nothing comes close

That being said, there are other animes from other genres just as good if not better than Elfen Lied

here are some examples (some of these may not be to your liking - given that we all have our own taste):

sad romance: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (just as sad as Elfen Lied)

beautiful story with high production value: Seirei no Moribito (superb production value just like Elfen Lied)

epic main characters: Code Geass / Deathnote (these main characters are unmatch in the anime universe, greater than that of Elfen Lied, they are like protagonist and antagonist at the same time, its brilliant)

epic ninja action: Naruto episode 1-80 (filliers do not aplly) (more action than Elfen Lied just not as much blood and body parts flying around)

classic samurai action: Rurouni Kenshin (OVAS and episode 1-60?61? everything after are fillers and they suck)

sweet romance: Ai Yori Aoshi (this anime gave me a smile, Elfen Lied gave me another feeling)

crazy ending: School Days (the ending is more shocking than Elfen Lied)

my favorite mecha : GS and GSD (i can see a lot of fans and angry anti-fans coming for this ) (this may not be as epic as Elfen Lied but i'm attach to this for some reason)

epic harem?: i got a few favorites and can't choose

funniest anime ever: GTO (i laugh way to hard on this one, nothing else can compare)

-these are my personal favorites among there own genres-

Last edited by bbduece; 2007-12-07 at 05:07.
Old 2007-12-07, 13:38   Link #18
gh0stmice
*Artist

elfen lied left a huge crater in my soul...and im just trying to fill it...if i had none how great it was i might have not watched it...that way i could have fully gained an appreciation for it with more anime watching experience....i think i did it a diservice by letting a noob like myself watch this "leet" ass series...im totally not worthy...

its true ....i wish for them not to tamper or created another season(blasphomy)...i dont want to run the risk of having that series trashed like the second season of most others....

thank you...i will try to consoul myself with your suggestion...over the lose of elfen lied...
Old 2007-12-08, 00:39   Link #19
angel.shade

This whole thread screams fakepost.
Old 2007-12-08, 01:07   Link #20
foreverdissevered
Endless Entity

what did u like about elfen lied and its "brilliance". Pleaes dont say blood and gore. Blood and gore isnt brilliance, infact, blood and gore are for those of idiocy, lusting for blood with no moral or logic.
not trying to bash elfen lied since i loved the anime and its shadowed meanings, but what do you think is so good about it?
Closed Thread