AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 35 22.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 37.42%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 21.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.29%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-17, 17:32   Link #101
roach motel

Anyone else think that the most significant line was Angel's, "It's almost like I'm the bad guy"? I don't think we can understand the meaning of that line until the very end as it just raises more questions about the nature of whatever world they're in. It's clear from that line that Yuri's version is wrong, not that anyone ever thought she was completely right.

And it's obvious: Iwasawa became more powerful than the teachers could ever imagine after they struck her down.
Old 2010-04-17, 17:47   Link #102
xBTAx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
Cool episode. The flow of information doesn't stop even with that musical overdose.

A quote I liked from this episode:

Tenshi: "It's almost like I'm the bad guy."

I can understand her.

Also, Christ has potential.
Thinking back on it, we did get quite a lot of information despite the amount of songs played...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach motel View Post
Anyone else think that the most significant line was Angel's, "It's almost like I'm the bad guy"? I don't think we can understand the meaning of that line until the very end as it just raises more questions about the nature of whatever world they're in. It's clear from that line that Yuri's version is wrong, not that anyone ever thought she was completely right.

And it's obvious: Iwasawa became more powerful than the teachers could ever imagine after they struck her down.
I also thought that was important, but saw it more as a sign that Angel is not as thoughtless as she was first seen as (attacking Otonashi when asked, for example), and that she's doing this for a reason.
Old 2010-04-17, 17:48   Link #103
Tsuchi

Quote:
Anyone else think that the most significant line was Angel's, "It's almost like I'm the bad guy"?
Considering it's the only thing she said in the whole episode... yes.

Maybe she has a problem of a badly understood position of responsibility. It sounds quite a lot like "I'm doing all of this for everyone's sake, yet they despise me".
Old 2010-04-17, 18:22   Link #104
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Something that came to mind was if there was a significance(symbolic or otherwise) to Yui's demonic (albiet moe) appearance.
Interesting, I didn't notice Yui's demon-winged bag and tail accessory (pic) until you pointed it out. If we take it as symbolism, I suppose we can say Yui might hold our main characters down from their "redemption" later on in the story, given how she is supposedly one of the major characters. Until we see more of her though I'm just going to take it as a mindblowingly cute design gimmick on Na-Ga's part.
Old 2010-04-17, 18:32   Link #105
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

that is good, i didn't catch that even in 2 viewings.
Old 2010-04-17, 19:33   Link #106
winkel

Some pretty original and not-inspired music you used this ep, Maeda
Old 2010-04-17, 19:56   Link #107
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

go figure KEY can use music from a KEY game in a KEY produced work.

of course the simple explanation is that Tenshi is there to help people move on by accepting what happened to them. but that's fairly obvious and would be a bit easy for a Key story..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-17, 20:52   Link #108
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Now that she's officially introduced, I wanna ask this...

Was I the only one that noticed Yui in episode 1?

Spoiler for size:

Taking pictures of GirlsDeMo
Old 2010-04-17, 20:57   Link #109
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
Was I the only one that noticed Yui in episode 1?
Quite a few people noticed her. I recall a conversation popping up before the subforum appeared where people were wondering why she wasn't in the OP.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll sub her in for the OP now?
Old 2010-04-17, 21:09   Link #110
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

I'm not really sure that line instantly means that Yuri has the wrong view on things. It'd be ridiculous for Tenshi to be acting while believing she is in the wrong. Generally people doing things believe in what they are doing. Clearly Tenshi believes her actions to be the right ones and thus giving us that line. Think you might be reading a bit too deeply into that line. Sure it was her only line of the episode, but it does have face value meaning.

If only Iwasawa had said that before she vanished. Could have done Obi Wan proud right there .
Old 2010-04-17, 21:14   Link #111
skelet0r

Anyone else think that the couple shown on the track field could be Nagisa and Okazaki?
haha...

My guess on where this series is going is that Otanashi is going to realize that he is getting used to shooting/seeing his friends get chopped down(loosing humanity), and try to convince Tenshi and Yuri to be peaceful.

and that everyone is in a coma or something. I mean... Looking at all previous Key works, they all have something to do with dreams/alternate worlds.
Old 2010-04-17, 22:36   Link #112
acev
Misuzu ftw!

I don't recall anyone noticing this, but in addition to the scenes added to the OP showcasing the episode, at around 1:05 to 1:07 it shows a few scenes from the episode in regards to Otonashi. I don't know if it has any special meaning to it, just something I noticed.
Old 2010-04-17, 22:42   Link #113
Jarmel

I'm definitely going with either the Purgatory or Heaven theory. Purgatory isn't that exciting or that much of a twist so I'm guessing that this might be some form of heaven. Of the two stories both of them got what they wanted. Yurippe wanted to fight fate and God for siblings' deaths and Ishikawa wanted to sing. Tenshi definitely looks like she's stuck there with them which is a bit of a surprise as I thought she was going to be some angel(mostly due to the wings in the OP). I would like them to get out of the episodic ditch and go for a more serialized plot especially with 13 episodes but so far it's been enjoyable.

Also am I the only one who has problems with the facial animation looking weird and off at certain times?
Old 2010-04-17, 22:56   Link #114
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Some pretty original and not-inspired music you used this ep, Maeda
I THOUGHT IT WAS THE PIANO VERSION OF WHITE CLOVERS BEING PLAYED.

Hehe.

I was right. :3
Old 2010-04-18, 01:24   Link #115
blewin

so we finally heard Tenshi speak!

I wasn't all that impressed with the first two episodes, but episode 3 has drawn me right back in with its emotional punch. But... but Iwasawa got taken out the moment her back story's introduced! How sad... but we also see that there's another way out of this world, except... there's still this question of whether God exists or not. uh, all so convoluted.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2010-04-18, 01:27   Link #116
Key Board
Carbon

God doesn't exist in that world

Yuri just wants God to exist so that she can have something to vent her anger on

since she can't find God she uses Tenshi as the closest proxy
Old 2010-04-18, 02:25   Link #117
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

And this is the reason why being kept in the dark isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at the amount of speculation going on, and thus discussion. And people were rushing to the novels to get some answers back in episode 1; little bit premature to jump the gun, as it shows the writers know exactly what they're doing, revealing little by little each episode.

This time around, they revealed the different ways of 'disappearing', and the fact that Tenshi is merely just like them, rather than a celestial being sent to enforce a higher power's will on that world. Which pretty much entrenches my position on being on Tenshi's side, because with all else equal, I'd pick the 'law' side. Really, Tenshi hasn't been doing anything wrong per se, she's just upholding the rules just like a real seitokaichou would.

Just wondering how long Tenshi has been 'aware' though. If in fact she needs to resort to the same methods as the rest of the cast to implement her powers, that means anyone can do it as long as they're skilled enough. Makes me wonder exactly how long she has been honing her skills, as its clear that not one of the rebels even shows a fraction of her powers.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-04-18, 03:56   Link #118
AC730

This is one of the few stories that I am actually rooting for both sides.

I do empathize Yuri's tragedy and see why she wants a form of blame which is God.
But in actual fact Yuri has been trying to find her own way of finding this 'answer' just like Iwasawa was. Yuri wants an answer for what happened to her siblings whether it's action or words. But since I'm speculating that there is no God she can't move on therefore she finds the closest thing to God. Tenshi. Like DragoonKain3 said.

We really need to see Tenshi interacting more with the story, which hopefully will come about. But this is one of the interesting plots I've come across this season.
Old 2010-04-18, 06:06   Link #119
ec289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
A bit of therapy? Deep-seated psychological traumas take years to deal with. Maybe not so much in fiction-land but I still think you're gravely underestimating the complexity of human psychology here.

Well anyway, I really liked this episode. The comedy is gold as always (seriously loled at the pi thing) and the plot is already starting to throw doubt over the SSS members heads about whether or not they're doing the right thing. I thought a good couple of episodes would pass before that happened, but it looks at if Jun Maeda wants no bullshit this time round and wants to go straight to buisness. I'm inclined to believe Iwasawa's disappearance was a good thing, though what triggered it is still a mystery to me.

Oh and:
Spoiler for space:
Iwasawa's disappearance was caused by understanding what she sought to figure out. It seems that in her circumstances in her real life, growing up in a unhappy home and losing everything that she wished for in life would lead her to a question as to why she was born into such an unfair situation. You can see that right before she disappears when she says "Continuing to sing like this... Thats the reason I was born".

Through living in the "Afterlife" she was able to see the affects of her music on those around her. In the final scene we see that her ballad that Yuri originally rejects was able to quell the anger between the students and the adults trying to stop them. I believe that at this point she was finally able to come to the realization that she was born into such a bad situation in order to save those around her in the way she was saved. Without her experience of an unhappy home and the unfairness of life she wouldn't be able to write the songs that affected those around her so much. Finally, with that she was able to come to terms with her life and "move on".

That's what I got out of it anyway and I apologize if this has already been covered.

Last edited by ec289; 2010-04-18 at 07:26.
Old 2010-04-18, 06:56   Link #120
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by descent87 View Post
Personally I'm taking this somewhat as more evidence of the whole "people returning to life" theory rather than passing on to heaven or reincarnation. I base this basically off of Iwasawa's last words which I assume are supposed to mean something to us.
Yeah! Your theory make sense.... Maybe next episode will be a story about one character and he/she will disappear in the ending...

KEY really great in making a sad story...
Closed Thread