AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 74 39.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 26.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 13.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.66%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-26, 01:41   Link #141
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Jesus christ.

Yeah, that's probably EXACTLY what she did.

And probably started acting exactly like Ryoko too.

Jeez that's terrifying.

It only means that Yuki's Farseer training failed her. I prefer Warlocks myself, frankly, as that Path is pretty much a dead end for the Children of Ulthanash Shelwe.
Old 2009-06-26, 01:55   Link #142
baltakatei

I can imagine Ryoko popping into Yuki's dreams, taunting her for stubbornly allowing the universe to be reset again and again... Telling her that despite Suzumiya's powers, inordinate amounts of energy of the universe are being consumed in order to restore its previous state from entropic decay.
Old 2009-06-26, 01:59   Link #143
Arrnea
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
I can imagine Ryoko popping into Yuki's dreams, taunting her for stubbornly allowing the universe to be reset again and again... Telling her that despite Suzumiya's powers, inordinate amounts of energy of the universe are being consumed in order to restore its previous state from entropic decay.
Now that would be scary in animation, if done correctly.

Also, Yuki the Yandere?
Old 2009-06-26, 02:04   Link #144
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hmmm, so is it just me or was it more that the character looked entirely different (what's with Buff Kyon) and that the lens flare was off the charts insane rather than that the animation quality was driven through the roof. Granted there were a lot of random shots that looked better than ones in older episodes, but I see this more as a return to Kyoani's usual form for better and worse and not especially praise worthy. To me that would be akin to saying, "great job Kyoani, you are finally making use of the animation style you usually use". Personally I'll just say that I'm not a huge fan of the lense flares and orange tinted skies and think they're a little overdone.

What I did like though was how different a tone this episode struck from the previous one, despite containing mostly similar events. You'll note that while last episode the music was constant and mostly upbeat, this episode had almost no music except for that one sombre piano piece, thus creating a much less upbeat tone and one that seemed to hint at the worries of the cast over an endless summer. I also liked the use of the colourless background at the end as if to symbolize the idea that Kyon sees his currently reality as devoid of meaning and hence colour. Very surprising to see something like this from Kyoani who is usually all flash and flare so yeah I will give them a little kudos for actually showing some subtlety for a change and realizing that sometimes less is more when it comes to animation techniques, albeit a little late to save my eyes from the crazy high contrast that was the rest of this episode. Ah well, can't complain to much as the consistently well used music and the plot progression (however slow) more than make the episode at the end of the day.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:06   Link #145
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
I had a theory that Ryoko haunts Nagato's dreams.

Of course, in this case she'd just be a hallucination caused by extreme insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrnea View Post
Now that would be scary in animation, if done correctly.

Also, Yuki the Yandere?
*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
*snip*
Can NOTHING please you?
Old 2009-06-26, 02:11   Link #146
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Great episode. Can't help but agree that I'd rather they had ended it here, but this does seem to simplify the whole "How do we handle SMS" argument, eh?

Highlights of the episode:

Mikuru in the park. This was absolutely epic. By far the funniest thing in the entire novel version of E8, and it did not disappoint here. I can't wait for next episode, when kinsoku jikou tells kinsoku jikou they should go to kinsoku jikou and kinsoku jikou.

15,498. You think the MIA advertisement of the new episodes was a Kadokawa troll? That was nothing compared to the KyoAni troll foisted on us a few minutes after every novel reader who heard Yuki say that number told themselves "Oh, so this is the one where they get it right, then." Heh... Not so fast. Genius.

LOL at people going off about next week's episode going outside of canon (at least the six-letter f word wasn't used) when the only difference from the novel is likely to be a different number. And maybe some fleshing out of barely mentioned other events.

Detail. Or more specifically difference in detail. Changes in swimsuits and outfits. Almost no changes in Haruhi's dialogue. Changes in where Haruhi is pointing the telescope when she looks at Mars. Guess we know which side of the argument KyoAni sits on concerning whether Haruhi's powers can extend beyond Earth...
Old 2009-06-26, 02:15   Link #147
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Can NOTHING please you?
It's You-Know-Who. You think?!
Old 2009-06-26, 02:16   Link #148
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Considering I took a paragraph out to say how well I think the music has been used and how I liked the use of colourness in the final scene I would indeed say that I can be pleased.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:17   Link #149
kyosak
poo

Wow @ Nagato's revelation... 15,498 times?!

I was getting a little worried after those first two episodes. Haruhi is finally picking it up~!
Old 2009-06-26, 02:19   Link #150
chinaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
The worst part is that as of the end of this episode, they've officially run out of canon material to use in the next episode (Aside from the very, very last scene).
Yeah? - So? Perhaps the writer has expanded on the original premise or whatever - I for one have never seen the value in an anime being solely composed of regurgitated printed material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
What a terrible directorial decision, the next episode is going to be even more boring than this one as they just used the one interesting scene they skipped in the previous episode.

1/10
How could someone know that an upcoming (and therefore most likely unseen) episode of a heretofore exceptional anime will be "even more boring"?
Old 2009-06-26, 02:20   Link #151
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
15,498. You think the MIA advertisement of the new episodes was a Kadokawa troll? That was nothing compared to the KyoAni troll foisted on us a few minutes after every novel reader who heard Yuki say that number told themselves "Oh, so this is the one where they get it right, then." Heh... Not so fast. Genius.

LOL at people going off about next week's episode going outside of canon (at least the six-letter f word wasn't used) when the only difference from the novel is likely to be a different number. And maybe some fleshing out of barely mentioned other events.
I'm gonna laugh if the same number is used, just for the mindscrew. No, I don't know what that'd accomplish, aside from making Nagato look untrustworthy.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-06-26, 02:27   Link #152
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

this reminds me of higurashi
Old 2009-06-26, 02:29   Link #153
Arrnea
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm gonna laugh if the same number is used, just for the mindscrew. No, I don't know what that'd accomplish, aside from making Nagato look untrustworthy.
I'll be laughing too if that happens.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:31   Link #154
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Maybe it's actually happened more times than she claimed, but she told them that it happened less times to try and put them more at ease than if she told them the actual number of loops. Except of course, being a humanoid interface, her sense of scale is a bit off.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:32   Link #155
Vicious108

Well, that was much better than last week. Some plot ftw.

Yuki's revelation almost made me jump, that was very well done. Fitting BGM there. As well as in the roof scene, with Koizumi getting touchy and all.

Yuki needs a hug now, IMO.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:35   Link #156
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Detail. Or more specifically difference in detail. Changes in swimsuits and outfits. Almost no changes in Haruhi's dialogue. Changes in where Haruhi is pointing the telescope when she looks at Mars. Guess we know which side of the argument KyoAni sits on concerning whether Haruhi's powers can extend beyond Earth...
FFFFFFFF I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT

What... what does that mean!?

Quote:
Considering I took a paragraph out to say how well I think the music has been used and how I liked the use of colourness in the final scene I would indeed say that I can be pleased.
Still, you complain in another thread about how KyoAni sucks now that they've lost their style and flair since Yamakan left... and now you complain that they're just made of flash now that they've got that style back?

Uhhh...
Quote:
You know.

I'd do it, if I were them.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:46   Link #157
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

Still, you complain in another thread about how KyoAni sucks now that they've lost their style and flair since Yamakan left... and now you complain that they're just made of flash now that they've got that style back?
Settle down now, and I'll try to explain what I mean a little better. I never said they suck now that they've lost Yamakan, I implied that they made a bad call in letting him go and that it wasn't worth it to lose his eyecatching opening and ending sequences, which could have been put to much use on the viral marketing front. His openings and endings were a draw for Haruhi (2006) and you don't have to look to notice the difference in style between the current opening and ending and the old one. As for "flash and flare", that was a comment about their preferred artstyle which makes use of frequent (bordering on constant) lens flares and flashy animation sequences that rarely serve any purpose and tend to come at random intervals. I personally am not a huge fan of this style of animation (doesn't mean I hate it, but that I could do without it) and don't see anything extra special about it. Then again that's probably more due to overexposure to it then anything else when it comes to trends in Hollywood movies as of late.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:48   Link #158
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*snip*
Fair enough.

Their animation style tends to lead to mindfuckery, like with this episode, which is why it remains one of my favorites, however.
Old 2009-06-26, 02:52   Link #159
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Are ga are, kore ga kore.

Another episode to go before The End of Summer for Haruhi and her friends. Maybe. Will Kyon find out what Haruhi's REALLY looking for? Get a hint man!

And yes, I'm dropping references that show my age.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-06-26 at 02:55. Reason: Clerical Error, *face palms*
Old 2009-06-26, 03:00   Link #160
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
E8-pt2 pretty much used up most of the significant dialogues in the novel, so we have HIGH probability of venturing into brand new materials on a pre-existing story. (Have to admit, didn't expect that coming into S2. Hats off to KyoAni).
The way I'd do it, to TOTALLY mindfuck the audience... Is to make them wish Endless Eight never stopped.

Spoiler:
Closed Thread