AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-24, 16:30   Link #301
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Back when Mai Hime came out, marketing people were adding 'my' to everything: myTv, myCar, myDog, myShit and so on.
That fad was soon to be replaced by adding equally random 'i's in front of things.

So I initially thought the title was a play on this.
Maybe it actually was meant to be read with such a double meaning... dunno. It still makes sense, unlike most of the actual myStuff's of the time.
There's actually more than two ways to interpret that title when you consider that not only does Mai's name sound like "My," but hime is both the Japanese term for a princess and an in series acroynm (granted, referring to girls with special powers as "HIghly advanced Materializing Equipment" seems rather strange). Plus there's the thing Shyni alluded to with the character for Mai's name meaning "dancing."

The creators were likely aware of the fact that the title had multiples meanings too. Its been a while since I last rewatched the series but doesn't Nagi make use of several different meanings when doing title drops at various points in the series?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 22:12   Link #302
Fuyuno
Banned

Gosick. No competition here.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 01:30   Link #303
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temenos View Post
Stein was a mathematician that worked on statistics and probabilities. So the title elegantly fits with the nature of the anime, with a twist of imagination.

Personally for some reason the term steins;gate brings up mysterious WWII experiments to my mind. Not sure how I made this connection.
"Steins;Gate" is a title that sounds bad and looks even worse (on account of the semi-colon). That it's only tangentially related to the actual subject of the show only makes matters worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
There's actually more than two ways to interpret that title when you consider that not only does Mai's name sound like "My," but hime is both the Japanese term for a princess and an in series acroynm (granted, referring to girls with special powers as "HIghly advanced Materializing Equipment" seems rather strange). Plus there's the thing Shyni alluded to with the character for Mai's name meaning "dancing."
Making the title Mai [character] Hime [princess] is adequate to begin with. Anything else is a bonus. The acronym is awful, but acronyms are supposed to be awful to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
Gosick. No competition here.
As far as I'm concerned, only comedies should be given pun-based titles. Wordplay like in "Mai-Hime" is fine, but actual puns look ugly in a title that's meant to be taken seriously.
Old 2013-02-25, 02:10   Link #304
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
"Steins;Gate" is a title that sounds bad and looks even worse (on account of the semi-colon). That it's only tangentially related to the actual subject of the show only makes matters worse.
I don't care what you say Steins;Gate is one of the only animes I've checked out just based on the title alone without knowing anything else about it.

It sounded cool and mysterious and the semi-colon made it stand out.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:33   Link #305
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!

Yeah the weirdest thing is that it is the name of a harem... What?!
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 14:46   Link #306
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Mysterious Girlfriend X, it kinda makes the girlfriend sound like chemical compound like thing.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:49   Link #307
Shyni

...these were the ingredients to create the perfect little girlfriend. But Professor Utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient: Chemical X

...or did you mean something else?

OTOH, if Mysterious Girlfriend X had a title that actually described the premise, it would sound even weirder.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 17:02   Link #308
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
OTOH, if Mysterious Girlfriend X had a title that actually described the premise, it would sound even weirder.
Yep, and if we go with the usual LN long-title, it would be something like this: I Tasted a Strange Girl’s Drool in the Classroom and Now We’re Going Out!
Old 2013-04-10, 14:53   Link #309
qb_cakes

Ano ni mita hana.. .. . ... I always need to google for the name because it's impossible to memorize
qb_cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 23:10   Link #310
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qb_cakes View Post
Ano ni mita hana.. .. . ... I always need to google for the name because it's impossible to memorize
Just use the shortened version, Ano Hana. That ought to solve your issue. (Not that I'm arguing that the actual title isn't ridiculously long...)