AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-15, 16:57   Link #321
Runningkid

yea! anotehr toujo fan! lol. Oh well i guess that's it tho nishino was chosen lol
Old 2006-04-15, 23:50   Link #322
Kanos
Milk...

Send a message via MSN to Kanos
o well here's my 2 cents again. I think Nishino has always been the "star too far to reach" kind of relationship with Manaka. Where Satsuki had the best compatibility. But truthfully, i'd think if Manaka wanted to realize his dreams he would of chosen Toujo.

Idea!= Satsuki=normal life (hey some ppl want that), Nishino=unpredictable life, Toujo=Dreamt life.

Here, i speak for myself when i say that chances are i rooted for Toujo was because she was the underdog (tho Satsuki fans may disagree) in practical terms
Old 2006-04-16, 00:07   Link #323
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Does anyone have any opinions on who they think could play who in a live action movie, etc?
Old 2006-04-16, 08:41   Link #324
Runningkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanos
o well here's my 2 cents again. I think Nishino has always been the "star too far to reach" kind of relationship with Manaka. Where Satsuki had the best compatibility. But truthfully, i'd think if Manaka wanted to realize his dreams he would of chosen Toujo.

Idea!= Satsuki=normal life (hey some ppl want that), Nishino=unpredictable life, Toujo=Dreamt life.

Here, i speak for myself when i say that chances are i rooted for Toujo was because she was the underdog (tho Satsuki fans may disagree) in practical terms
agree with you completly tehrefore manaka shouldnt be with nishino!! gggrrr jsut thinking about it amke me angry lol. Altho i would like toujo to be with manaka
Old 2006-04-16, 14:28   Link #325
Crusaders
DoMz Member/Asa lover

Send a message via MSN to Crusaders
whoa...good idea, Ichigo 100% live..I would like to see that!!!
Old 2006-04-19, 19:08   Link #326
akakhar

Thumbs up

is there a real movie..pls inform as soon as you will know..thanks..i'm very fond of AYA...
Old 2006-04-20, 02:47   Link #327
Runningkid

hehe, i dont think there is a movie out just 5 ovas and a special
Old 2006-04-20, 23:33   Link #328
Kanos
Milk...

Send a message via MSN to Kanos
Live action would be pretty cool, but i'm not sure what they would put in it. A reenactment of ichigo100%? doubt it. And even if they do decide to do a live action, i'm guessing it would be like 1 episode. My only idea of the live action storyline later...

However, i would like to see the actual movie that they make (altho all three movies had the same concept) instead of figuring out the parallel within the actual storyline ourselves. Manga, anime, or live action, just wud like to see the actual movie they make.
Old 2006-05-02, 16:05   Link #329
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Exclamation

Hey all... I've been following along and finally decided that now that Ichigo 100% is over I'd chime in too! Being a new member though, this is my first post... so I hope its not too presumptious...

I just finished the english scanlations of this great series and WOW... Now I'm reading through again and am back up to vol.6 I LOVE this series... it has such heart and really feels like a real reflection of that time of life. (Apart from the ecchiness on the part of the conveniant "accidents")

OK... So, Junpei was really annoying, but then he was annoyed with himself for the same reasons as the reader! When I think back to my own experiences in Jr. High, HS and even early College, I wasn't much different... I was annoyed with myself back then just as much as HE was! Sex and relations with females was always a concerning situation for me. It is for all teenagers. Some treat it casually and others build up an aura around it. I, like Junpei, was one of the latter... I had LOTS of girl "friends" and some of them were quite agressive in their way (None like Satsuki though! I would never had held out as Junpei did on THAT many occasions!) but as I read the story, I could easily put myself into his place and would have made many of the same (lack of) assumptions as he did... To this end I really felt for these characters. I similarly never kept more than one "girlfirend" at a time and couldn't have played the field like Ookusa was... I had a best friend JUST like that though... Another reason I could relate I suppose. Many readers deride the protagonist as being too unrealistically confused by his own emotions, but I can recall feeling that way as well, so for me it was totally believable. All of the main characters were really quite well rounded and fleshed out to the point that I could believe them as real people as opposed to "irresponsible pictures"...

The girls... Hmmm...

IMHO, Satsuki never had a real chance of a relationship with Junpei. Her connection came through their shared interests and had she been a guy, as she suggested, they would have been the best of friends. And to that extent, it was a VERY interesting interplay as we found out, what exactly might things be like if your best friend was a really sexy girl. Men always say they'd LOVE that sort of relatinship, but clearly, Junpei's personality couldn't handle it... She almost broke him, and had she, he would have gone out with her probably for quite some time mostly out of guilt that "he was her first, so he owed her" and in a way I'm surprised that this series didn't go there, during the working together/broken up from Tsukasa arc. (It could have been VERY entertaining and might have filled many volumes!) but I guess the "pure of heart and soul" angle wouldn't have survived that level of H-development... In the end, his personality would have rejected her as too much to live with though and he'd have gotten back to the main Tsukasa/Aya conflict.

Aya... Ah, Aya... I'm one of the ToujoFanatics and would have REALLY, REALLY LOVED for them to end up together in the end, but unlike many, I never really believed they WOULD end up going out for many reasons... All of them based on personal experience in life... People all over make the wrong assumptions about Aya and Tsukasa, thinking that Aya is the typical Japanese, self effacing, shrinking violet that many see as the "ideal"-almost nadesico type girl. But if you really watch her and break her personality down, she's not. It's Tuskasa that is an updated, modern version of that ideal and is the real reason that Junpei ended up with her.

Interestingly, people make noises about how could Junpei NOT have seen Aya's love for him as clearly as everyone else. However, if you read the series paying special attention to the signs and furtive glances that Junpei is actually WITNESS TO from Aya, you'll realize that theirs was a relationship that occurred during 3 second glances and accidental meetings. All of her caring, concerned, dejected or loving glances happened behind his back, or around a corner. Rarely did they participate in anything that was purposely occurring to further their relationship with each other. Although Aya proactively made herself completely available to Junpei, they never dated, shared a special experience with intention or had the opportunity to air things out without one or the other discounting their reactions in order to protect the other's reputation or feelings. Compared to the dates with Tsukasa, or the intentionally directed advances by Satsuki, Aya's and Junpei's interactions were always centered on an externalized goal, not aimed at their hearts.

Aya, while not self assured or assertive, knows her own mind. She fell instantly for Junpei and is steadfast in her devotion to her heart. But she never let that love really get in the way of her own goals. FAR from simply waiting around for Junpei to confess to her, or follow him around like a puppydog, getting kicked to the curb constantly... She goes for her writing. She goes for her grades. She positions herself for success by entering contests and getting accolades, by being valedictorian both entering and leaving HS. Even at the end, she has continued to walk her own path and has the awards to prove her success. All of this while still supporting her love for Junpei by tutoring him many times, supporting him in his dreams and schoolwork. While following her own dreams, she continues to share what she can by joining the film club, writing their scripts, acting in the films, going on the trips etc. She does this out of devotion to her own heart, but not necessarily out of devotion to Junpei. Hers is a kind of totally unconditional love and one that will survive beyond the scope of the series. This is evidenced in her kissing him while he slept, and her explanation of why. It took her a VERY long time to muster the courage to confess her love, but in the end, she took what she wanted from what relationship she had with him, and didn't wait for him to reciprocate. It is my feeling that if this series were to continue as a kind of later life story, picking up where it left off at the conclusion, Junpei would eventually fall out of love with Tsukasa after many years and finally end up with Aya, who would have naturally and unknowingly been keeping that door open and waiting for him at the side of her life... and both now being in the successful self-assurred parts of their lives, they'd get married.

Not that it'd have been good for Aya in the interviening years if he HAD chosen her though... Working in Hollywood myself and KNOWING the kind of life Junpei has chosen for himself. The real loser in this love story would be the girl he chose at the end of the series. Aya truly deserved more than the endless late nights waiting alone and wondering if the phone would ring, while he was out on the road filming or in the studio. This life was eluded to whenever he was editing their films and had but fleeting time to attend to Aya, as well as during the conversation between his teacher and the director. You could sense the lost and failed relationship from years before between them as they discussed Junpei's potential career. The future that Aya would have faced was being forshadowed in their Sensei's lifestyle. Lost, lonely, looking for recognition by a man who has little time for her. Tuskasa, on the other hand really would be far better off being Junpei's mate though. Her career of being a confectioner would be so involved and busy that she would have less of an issue with Junpei's potential absences as shown throughout their relationship in the series.

Tsukasa really was the fated one as the story was built up. She was the one who remained devoted, not so much to herself, as to Junpei. She didn't know her heart, and wondered why she loved him. Hers was a conditional love, based in the amount of devotion he could show her, and yet, she was more of an embodiment of the ideal mate. She was beautiful, attentive to only him despite other suitors, able to cook and care for Junpei, (making him meals and washing his soiled clothes or providing others for him) available sexually, but not so much that he ever felt that he didn't have to continue the chase. Demure in her own way, she would constantly remind him about what she liked about him but coyly remain at enough of a distance that she was always mysterious to him. She didn't have a proper dream to follow, but only though time and experience, found a path to follow. She would easily drop her quest for time with Junpei though. Although there were occasions where Aya would take time out to attend to Junpei, it was Tsukasa that would abandon her work for a fling with him. To a male this shows greater devotion to HIM than her personal goals. Aya repeatedly would put Junpei off so that she could stay on her personal track while he flailed around in his indecision. At the end, it was Tsukasa that played the game right to get the guy. She would tease him. Make requests of him that he had to fulfill to maintain status in her life. Pull him close and then suddenly push him away or become unavailable after reminding him of her care for him. She put him in many compromising positions requiring he either perform and make a decision that could only end with her, or have him save her from some personal threat. All of these played right into his insecurities and made him feel that he NEEDED Tsukasa and was lucky to even have her attentions. She provided for him, attended to him, offered herself without being forceful and emasculating him and remained an almost mysterious dream for him to catch and hold... In other words, he was dead and dressed from the starting gun.

Junpei for his part was idealistic and well meaning. He never really asked that any of these girls fall for him. It was his actions that attracted them. What made him a better protagonist than others in this genre of story is that his dream was an adult one. Not satisfied with simply getting into the best school, or winning some singular award, or doing anything for the purpose of impressing the girls and building himself up, Junpei has a life goal that bucks the trend of society. No office or management job, he wants to be an idealistic artist, but one that satisfies the masses and not just his own ego. If he feels that others will enjoy his work more, he will go to the extreme for it. This combination of self-effacement along with his idealistic concepts of making peoples lives more fulfilling through his contributions is a driving force in his makeup. It shows itself in the way he protects others for their individuality or sees through the surface of people, no matter how attractive they may or may not be. This true internal self-esteem is what attracts the girls and makes it believable that more than one girl could fall for this seemingly average boring guy. On some level, these qualities strike a chord in each girl that makes other suitors with their crude advances, or casual approaches to them pale in contrast to Junpei's inner light. Unfortunately for him, he's not aware of what others see in him and doesn't believe that he deserves the attention. It becomes unfathomable to him that anyone would like him for qualities that he sees as just a part of his averageness. Its because of this that he second and third guesses his relationships and fails so miserably at recognizing the signs thrown off by the girls.

in the end, I'm satisfied with Junpei choosing Tsukasa at that point of his life. The two of them have carved out a great deal of history and really have it to lean on as they continue in a more mature mode. For my favorite Aya, I can only project a life filled with great successes and the eventual happiness that she so dearly deserves with someone, with this one past unrequited love continuing to serve as the engine to power her writing career.

This was a GREAT series and one that really deserves a sequel taking the main characters later lives into account. Of course, the characters being in their 20's now, its outside the demographic of the publications that would typically have carried it and will never happen...

Sorry for the rant... but can you tell I'm passionate about Ichigo 100%?
Old 2006-05-06, 18:42   Link #330
akakhar

Talking Awful Junpei

Hey, your perfectly right, that Aya was really deserving to be chosen at the end.. And I feel very sorry for her, in her confession with junpei (i'm not sure what chapter it was) i was really moved, and it ended me crying. I just hope that Mizuki (author) will make another chapter where toujo will be happy. I ws just hoping it...

I really love this series too, the author, really did a great job for this.

And I read her other manga. If you have'nt read Lilim Kiss, I'm sure you will like it too. She looks like Aya, but her personality is different, She's really fun.. and I enjoy reading it.

I'm fanatic with Aya and Lilim Chan.
Old 2006-05-06, 19:18   Link #331
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi
Hey all... I've been following along and finally decided that now that Ichigo 100% is over I'd chime in too! Being a new member though, this is my first post... so I hope its not too presumptious...

I just finished the english scanlations of this great series and WOW... Now I'm reading through again and am back up to vol.6 I LOVE this series... it has such heart and really feels like a real reflection of that time of life. (Apart from the ecchiness on the part of the conveniant "accidents")

OK... So, Junpei was really annoying, but then he was annoyed with himself for the same reasons as the reader! When I think back to my own experiences in Jr. High, HS and even early College, I wasn't much different... I was annoyed with myself back then just as much as HE was! Sex and relations with females was always a concerning situation for me. It is for all teenagers. Some treat it casually and others build up an aura around it. I, like Junpei, was one of the latter... I had LOTS of girl "friends" and some of them were quite agressive in their way (None like Satsuki though! I would never had held out as Junpei did on THAT many occasions!) but as I read the story, I could easily put myself into his place and would have made many of the same (lack of) assumptions as he did... To this end I really felt for these characters. I similarly never kept more than one "girlfirend" at a time and couldn't have played the field like Ookusa was... I had a best friend JUST like that though... Another reason I could relate I suppose. Many readers deride the protagonist as being too unrealistically confused by his own emotions, but I can recall feeling that way as well, so for me it was totally believable. All of the main characters were really quite well rounded and fleshed out to the point that I could believe them as real people as opposed to "irresponsible pictures"...

The girls... Hmmm...

IMHO, Satsuki never had a real chance of a relationship with Junpei. Her connection came through their shared interests and had she been a guy, as she suggested, they would have been the best of friends. And to that extent, it was a VERY interesting interplay as we found out, what exactly might things be like if your best friend was a really sexy girl. Men always say they'd LOVE that sort of relatinship, but clearly, Junpei's personality couldn't handle it... She almost broke him, and had she, he would have gone out with her probably for quite some time mostly out of guilt that "he was her first, so he owed her" and in a way I'm surprised that this series didn't go there, during the working together/broken up from Tsukasa arc. (It could have been VERY entertaining and might have filled many volumes!) but I guess the "pure of heart and soul" angle wouldn't have survived that level of H-development... In the end, his personality would have rejected her as too much to live with though and he'd have gotten back to the main Tsukasa/Aya conflict.

Aya... Ah, Aya... I'm one of the ToujoFanatics and would have REALLY, REALLY LOVED for them to end up together in the end, but unlike many, I never really believed they WOULD end up going out for many reasons... All of them based on personal experience in life... People all over make the wrong assumptions about Aya and Tsukasa, thinking that Aya is the typical Japanese, self effacing, shrinking violet that many see as the "ideal"-almost nadesico type girl. But if you really watch her and break her personality down, she's not. It's Tuskasa that is an updated, modern version of that ideal and is the real reason that Junpei ended up with her.

Interestingly, people make noises about how could Junpei NOT have seen Aya's love for him as clearly as everyone else. However, if you read the series paying special attention to the signs and furtive glances that Junpei is actually WITNESS TO from Aya, you'll realize that theirs was a relationship that occurred during 3 second glances and accidental meetings. All of her caring, concerned, dejected or loving glances happened behind his back, or around a corner. Rarely did they participate in anything that was purposely occurring to further their relationship with each other. Although Aya proactively made herself completely available to Junpei, they never dated, shared a special experience with intention or had the opportunity to air things out without one or the other discounting their reactions in order to protect the other's reputation or feelings. Compared to the dates with Tsukasa, or the intentionally directed advances by Satsuki, Aya's and Junpei's interactions were always centered on an externalized goal, not aimed at their hearts.

Aya, while not self assured or assertive, knows her own mind. She fell instantly for Junpei and is steadfast in her devotion to her heart. But she never let that love really get in the way of her own goals. FAR from simply waiting around for Junpei to confess to her, or follow him around like a puppydog, getting kicked to the curb constantly... She goes for her writing. She goes for her grades. She positions herself for success by entering contests and getting accolades, by being valedictorian both entering and leaving HS. Even at the end, she has continued to walk her own path and has the awards to prove her success. All of this while still supporting her love for Junpei by tutoring him many times, supporting him in his dreams and schoolwork. While following her own dreams, she continues to share what she can by joining the film club, writing their scripts, acting in the films, going on the trips etc. She does this out of devotion to her own heart, but not necessarily out of devotion to Junpei. Hers is a kind of totally unconditional love and one that will survive beyond the scope of the series. This is evidenced in her kissing him while he slept, and her explanation of why. It took her a VERY long time to muster the courage to confess her love, but in the end, she took what she wanted from what relationship she had with him, and didn't wait for him to reciprocate. It is my feeling that if this series were to continue as a kind of later life story, picking up where it left off at the conclusion, Junpei would eventually fall out of love with Tsukasa after many years and finally end up with Aya, who would have naturally and unknowingly been keeping that door open and waiting for him at the side of her life... and both now being in the successful self-assurred parts of their lives, they'd get married.

Not that it'd have been good for Aya in the interviening years if he HAD chosen her though... Working in Hollywood myself and KNOWING the kind of life Junpei has chosen for himself. The real loser in this love story would be the girl he chose at the end of the series. Aya truly deserved more than the endless late nights waiting alone and wondering if the phone would ring, while he was out on the road filming or in the studio. This life was eluded to whenever he was editing their films and had but fleeting time to attend to Aya, as well as during the conversation between his teacher and the director. You could sense the lost and failed relationship from years before between them as they discussed Junpei's potential career. The future that Aya would have faced was being forshadowed in their Sensei's lifestyle. Lost, lonely, looking for recognition by a man who has little time for her. Tuskasa, on the other hand really would be far better off being Junpei's mate though. Her career of being a confectioner would be so involved and busy that she would have less of an issue with Junpei's potential absences as shown throughout their relationship in the series.

Tsukasa really was the fated one as the story was built up. She was the one who remained devoted, not so much to herself, as to Junpei. She didn't know her heart, and wondered why she loved him. Hers was a conditional love, based in the amount of devotion he could show her, and yet, she was more of an embodiment of the ideal mate. She was beautiful, attentive to only him despite other suitors, able to cook and care for Junpei, (making him meals and washing his soiled clothes or providing others for him) available sexually, but not so much that he ever felt that he didn't have to continue the chase. Demure in her own way, she would constantly remind him about what she liked about him but coyly remain at enough of a distance that she was always mysterious to him. She didn't have a proper dream to follow, but only though time and experience, found a path to follow. She would easily drop her quest for time with Junpei though. Although there were occasions where Aya would take time out to attend to Junpei, it was Tsukasa that would abandon her work for a fling with him. To a male this shows greater devotion to HIM than her personal goals. Aya repeatedly would put Junpei off so that she could stay on her personal track while he flailed around in his indecision. At the end, it was Tsukasa that played the game right to get the guy. She would tease him. Make requests of him that he had to fulfill to maintain status in her life. Pull him close and then suddenly push him away or become unavailable after reminding him of her care for him. She put him in many compromising positions requiring he either perform and make a decision that could only end with her, or have him save her from some personal threat. All of these played right into his insecurities and made him feel that he NEEDED Tsukasa and was lucky to even have her attentions. She provided for him, attended to him, offered herself without being forceful and emasculating him and remained an almost mysterious dream for him to catch and hold... In other words, he was dead and dressed from the starting gun.

Junpei for his part was idealistic and well meaning. He never really asked that any of these girls fall for him. It was his actions that attracted them. What made him a better protagonist than others in this genre of story is that his dream was an adult one. Not satisfied with simply getting into the best school, or winning some singular award, or doing anything for the purpose of impressing the girls and building himself up, Junpei has a life goal that bucks the trend of society. No office or management job, he wants to be an idealistic artist, but one that satisfies the masses and not just his own ego. If he feels that others will enjoy his work more, he will go to the extreme for it. This combination of self-effacement along with his idealistic concepts of making peoples lives more fulfilling through his contributions is a driving force in his makeup. It shows itself in the way he protects others for their individuality or sees through the surface of people, no matter how attractive they may or may not be. This true internal self-esteem is what attracts the girls and makes it believable that more than one girl could fall for this seemingly average boring guy. On some level, these qualities strike a chord in each girl that makes other suitors with their crude advances, or casual approaches to them pale in contrast to Junpei's inner light. Unfortunately for him, he's not aware of what others see in him and doesn't believe that he deserves the attention. It becomes unfathomable to him that anyone would like him for qualities that he sees as just a part of his averageness. Its because of this that he second and third guesses his relationships and fails so miserably at recognizing the signs thrown off by the girls.

in the end, I'm satisfied with Junpei choosing Tsukasa at that point of his life. The two of them have carved out a great deal of history and really have it to lean on as they continue in a more mature mode. For my favorite Aya, I can only project a life filled with great successes and the eventual happiness that she so dearly deserves with someone, with this one past unrequited love continuing to serve as the engine to power her writing career.

This was a GREAT series and one that really deserves a sequel taking the main characters later lives into account. Of course, the characters being in their 20's now, its outside the demographic of the publications that would typically have carried it and will never happen...

Sorry for the rant... but can you tell I'm passionate about Ichigo 100%?
How can you say Tsukasa had no dreams? Are you forgetting she left Junpei to go to France? She would have stayed if she wasn't serious about it.

And that's BULL that "he'll probably get with Aya later." the mangaka left it on the pairing she chose. the fact that first loves are not always lasting loves was her moral. it's not always the person who you share dreams with, either.
Old 2006-05-06, 19:44   Link #332
akakhar

to Yotsuba

Do you have any idea on Ichigo 100% live??
Old 2006-05-07, 00:46   Link #333
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
How can you say Tsukasa had no dreams? Are you forgetting she left Junpei to go to France? She would have stayed if she wasn't serious about it.

And that's BULL that "he'll probably get with Aya later." the mangaka left it on the pairing she chose. the fact that first loves are not always lasting loves was her moral. it's not always the person who you share dreams with, either.
BULL, Yotsuba? That's a strong statement... Are you in the Tsukasa camp?

I didn't say that Junpei would "probably get with Aya later". I said that it was MY FEELING that if the series were to CONTINUE, he'd fall out of love with Tsukasa and after many years, end up with Aya. That is a very different statement. Perhaps you read me too quickly. I will concede that this manga draws out strong feelings in people and my opinions are just that. MY opinions... based on the way I percieved the story, through the lens of my PERSONAL experiences with relationships through my life so far. And I'm old enough and experienced enough to have a strong, grounded, foundation to base these opinions on. One of the things I enjoyed the MOST about Ichigo 100 was the reflection of my own life I recognised in it.

As you said yourself, first loves aren't always lasting and that is why I feel if the series continued, Tsukasa and Junpei would eventually drift apart. Unless another suitor came along for either Aya or Junpei, it would be possible they'd make a new connection based on their old feelings and the prospects that their career's synergy might create. It is quite common for old unrequited loves to re-ignite years after the respective individuals lose or leave their interveining mates... Just from Aya's looks of continued care for Junpei in that last scene and Junpei's redeclaration of dedication to their shared dream of producing the movie from Aya's story, I'd say the grounds for a later relationship remain. So, I stand on my statement.

I also didn't state that Tsukasa had no dreams, but that she found her path only through time and experience. What I was attempting to point out was that Aya was driven by her dreams of writing, while Tsukasa had less dedication RELATIVE to Aya and allowed herself to concentrate on her love for Junpei. Circumstances of coincedence allowed Tsukasa, who's work was near Junpei's to spend more time with him, while Aya's dedication to her craft lead her down a path that was divergent and ultimately time consuming enough to allow less interaction with Junpei. For example, Aya was involved primarily with the Literature Club and secondarily with the Movie Club. She would always go there first and continued to concentrate on her works and submissions to competitions, despite offering assistance to Junpei's productions. Overall, this supports my theory that while SEEMING to be the submissive, "perfect Japanese wife" kind of material, she was instead cast in the mould of a modern woman, persuing her own interests. This in contrast to Tsukasa, who kept herself available to Junpei and was willing to take many breaks from persuing her developing independence to further cement her relationship with him. IN the end, Aya graduated HS and went on to follow her career. Tsukasa instead, while yes, going to France to persue HER dream, STATED that she would return for Junpei and left him with the challenge to be the man she hoped he'd be. Again, Tuskasa was willing to come back to Junpei once again while Aya left Junpei with no expectations. Junpei being a man who always rose to a challenge was driven to follow Tsukasa rather than chase Aya who continued to simply wait for Junpei to return her feelings. Heart rending as it was, confessing wasn't enough to secure Junpei for Aya. Junpei needed a challenge to follow through on in order to make his intentions known. This was shown time and again.

I agree overall with you assessment on the moral of the story, we just seem to have come to that conclusion through different analysis.
Old 2006-05-07, 01:11   Link #334
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
BULL, Yotsuba? That's a strong statement... Are you in the Tsukasa camp?

I didn't say that Junpei would "probably get with Aya later". I said that it was MY FEELING that if the series were to CONTINUE, he'd fall out of love with Tsukasa and after many years, end up with Aya. That is a very different statement. Perhaps you read me too quickly. I will concede that this manga draws out strong feelings in people and my opinions are just that. MY opinions... based on the way I percieved the story, through the lens of my PERSONAL experiences with relationships through my life so far. And I'm old enough and experienced enough to have a strong, grounded, foundation to base these opinions on. One of the things I enjoyed the MOST about Ichigo 100 was the reflection of my own life I recognised in it.

As you said yourself, first loves aren't always lasting and that is why I feel if the series continued, Tsukasa and Junpei would eventually drift apart. Unless another suitor came along for either Aya or Junpei, it would be possible they'd make a new connection based on their old feelings and the prospects that their career's synergy might create. It is quite common for old unrequited loves to re-ignite years after the respective individuals lose or leave their interveining mates... Just from Aya's looks of continued care for Junpei in that last scene and Junpei's redeclaration of dedication to their shared dream of producing the movie from Aya's story, I'd say the grounds for a later relationship remain. So, I stand on my statement.

I also didn't state that Tsukasa had no dreams, but that she found her path only through time and experience. What I was attempting to point out was that Aya was driven by her dreams of writing, while Tsukasa had less dedication RELATIVE to Aya and allowed herself to concentrate on her love for Junpei. Circumstances of coincedence allowed Tsukasa, who's work was near Junpei's to spend more time with him, while Aya's dedication to her craft lead her down a path that was divergent and ultimately time consuming enough to allow less interaction with Junpei. For example, Aya was involved primarily with the Literature Club and secondarily with the Movie Club. She would always go there first and continued to concentrate on her works and submissions to competitions, despite offering assistance to Junpei's productions. Overall, this supports my theory that while SEEMING to be the submissive, "perfect Japanese wife" kind of material, she was instead cast in the mould of a modern woman, persuing her own interests. This in contrast to Tsukasa, who kept herself available to Junpei and was willing to take many breaks from persuing her developing independence to further cement her relationship with him. IN the end, Aya graduated HS and went on to follow her career. Tsukasa instead, while yes, going to France to persue HER dream, STATED that she would return for Junpei and left him with the challenge to be the man she hoped he'd be. Again, Tuskasa was willing to come back to Junpei once again while Aya left Junpei with no expectations. Junpei being a man who always rose to a challenge was driven to follow Tsukasa rather than chase Aya who continued to simply wait for Junpei to return her feelings. Heart rending as it was, confessing wasn't enough to secure Junpei for Aya. Junpei needed a challenge to follow through on in order to make his intentions known. This was shown time and again.

I agree overall with you assessment on the moral of the story, we just seem to have come to that conclusion through different analysis.
Alright. I'm actually not in the Tsukasa camp though. My favourite girl was Kozue, because we're similar. But anyways, I think Tsukasa actually.. Aya wasn't even able to write without Junpei there as her muse. She wrote for him in the end, not only because it was her dream. Even when she was rejected in her mind for Aya, Tsukasa continued to focus on her being a pastry chef.

And fair enough. I just get angry when people make harsh statements about other characters because they have some sort of personal bias against them.

And his FIRST LOVE was Aya. He said that before! He broke up with Tsukasa twice and both times said that he didn't feel as complete without her. Her sad face made him feel worse than Aya's tears, because even though she was the original strawberry panty girl. Since they had helped eachother with their dreams, and he got that final shot, she had served her purpose. They were eachother's MUSE. People aren't always perfect for eachother, but they work through their problems and always end up finding eachother in the end. Junpei made his final desicion at the end of the manga. If it was meant to be another "Oh they're just going to date for a while and break up again like every other time" the manga would have kept going.

I do love Aya, but I always felt bad for Tsukasa. I always felt like "if Junpei knew Aya's feelings, she wouldn't have a chance." Even though she loves him that much. I guess like you said, for me, it's definitely the girl's point of view instead of the guys. I always felt the worst for her.
Old 2006-05-07, 02:16   Link #335
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Nicely argued points. I appreciate the discussion, but I'm not sure were exactly talking about the same things, and even then, I'm not convinced to change my position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
...Aya wasn't even able to write without Junpei there as her muse. She wrote for him in the end, not only because it was her dream. Even when she was rejected in her mind for Aya, Tsukasa continued to focus on her being a pastry chef.
Aya WAS able to write without Junpei. This is the reason she was so well recieved in the Literature Club and how she continued to excel and win awards in writing, externally from her script work with the Movie Club. TRUE and RIGHT ON that Junpei was HER muse. This was shown on a couple of occasions... however, by having an award winning novel published and celebrated at the end of the series, it was being presented that Aya was capable of persuing her dream independantly of Junpei's influence. Aya on the otherhand, WAS Junpei's "first love" (although following this logic, I should have considered marrying my "girlfriend" from 1st grade... ) but not really HIS muse. He would power forward towards his dream with or without Aya. Aya was his excuse for genuinely getting started on his path and without a doubt the brilliant writer that made his work shine... but while her scripts made his work better, he wasn't actually a better DIRECTOR because of her influence perse...

That Tsukasa continued to pursue her career in pastries was quite separate from her pursuit of Junpei. It was her work first, and only after discovering an aptitude for it, made it her career, but that's quite different from Aya's writing aspirations and Junpei's filmaking dreams. She might have as easily decided to be an interior decorator or fashion designer and needed to study in London or Milan. IN the end the point there was that each time Tsukasa left Junpei, she would cap it with a challenge to "grow up" more so he could still have a chance with her. And this he accepted willingly to continue to prove his worth to her, as he saw himself as below her station. Still this is aside from MY REAL point that By being a great cook and caregiver, who was willing to delay her aspirations to continue dating Junpei, she was the REAL "perfect girl" as traditionally canonized by Japanese soceity. This as opposed to Aya, who LOOKED the part, but couldn't cook, sing, provide for a mate and really was the goal oriented individual talent seeking to fulfill HER dreams rather than live through her relationship with a male. Tsukasa WAS goal oriented, but less so than Aya. THAT was what I was getting at... that the appearences were devised to decieve. And if the rumor is true that Tsukasa consistently came ahead of Aya in reader polls, I think this may be the biggest underlying factor as to why.

Quote:
...I just get angry when people make harsh statements about other characters because they have some sort of personal bias against them.
For the record, I'm not biased against any of the girls in the story. As the locker room saying goes: "I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed!"

Quote:
If it was meant to be another "Oh they're just going to date for a while and break up again like every other time" the manga would have kept going.
Well, a story has got to end SOMEWHERE and usually because either a mangaka is tired, or the publisher needs a new series. I never look at the end of a series as THE END. Unless everyone dies on the last page. Life goes on, and as I say; looking at my own life, had I been Junpei, Tsukasa would have been considered the "first love" and likely the relationship would have run its course in time. Based on the continued "signs" that were clearly there in the last few pages, the door remained open for Junpei and Aya... However for it to work, Junpei would need to be MUCH more mature and further along in the success of his career to make it realistically viable. This is why I'm projecting out WAY BEYOND the end of the story. I'd LOVE to see a sequel to this series and this is my way of continuing to live with these characters in my head...

(erm... ok.. THAT sounded obsessive and crazy... )
Old 2006-05-07, 10:24   Link #336
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Life goes on, and as I say; looking at my own life, had I been Junpei, Tsukasa would have been considered the "first love" and likely the relationship would have run its course in time. Based on the continued "signs" that were clearly there in the last few pages, the door remained open for Junpei and Aya... However for it to work, Junpei would need to be MUCH more mature and further along in the success of his career to make it realistically viable.
Well, I have a couple of points along these lines. 1) I love how people automatically assume that Aya is some kind of bastion of maturity. Mature people are able to articulate their feelings. While it's true she might have ended the series moving to maturity, there's no way to tell from the material we're presented on the page. 2) I think you have to be smoking something to consider Tsukasa his first love. Aya is clearly his first love, she has all of the hallmark signs. He's put her on a pedestal and made her clearly too "perfect" to approach with his romantic feelings.

However, based on different reasonings (I really like the way you looked at it, btw, even though I didn't agree with much of it), I think we're somewhat in agreement on the ending. One of my favorite things about the series was that the girl he's first "in love with" (Aya) is not the girl he ever actually dates (it rarely is for most people, and is just as true in reverse as Junpei is obviously the first boy Aya liked), their (Aya and Junpei's) visions of each other are mostly idealized in both character's heads, and any relationship between the two of them is probably doomed to failure.

That being said, I doubt if this were real life he'd be ending up with Tsukino either, but then it's not real life, it's just a story. Most people move on from this stage of their life and marry someone they meet later on. It's usually not a friend either. Though if this were a real story in Japan, they'd probably all end up single and help contribute to the falling birth rate.

And major props to Yotsuba, Kozue-chan was my favorite at the end too (Up until her introduction it had been Satsuki).
Old 2006-05-08, 16:49   Link #337
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
1) I love how people automatically assume that Aya is some kind of bastion of maturity. Mature people are able to articulate their feelings. While it's true she might have ended the series moving to maturity, there's no way to tell from the material we're presented on the page.
HA HA HA AHAHAAhahahaaaaa.....

That's a good one... Aya being mature... I can't stop laughing about it...

Well rooboy, I HOPE you didn't get the feeling that >I< was saying that Aya was mature, because she's probably the character who's most naive, clueless and willing to turn the other cheek and avoid assumption in the whole story! It is exactly her IM-maturity that got her nowhere with Junpei! What I was getting at was that if Junpei and Aya were EVER to sucessfully mesh their love and careers together to make them a lasting and viable couple, their careers would have to be sufficiently along to support the relationship.

Look, Aya is a writer to her core. The scene where she mimicks Satsuki and surprises Junpei with the pointing statement "If I felt like it I could attack you anytime I wanted!" shows that even having witnessed such a statement, she's thinking about how she can write such an aggressive character, rather than mulling over the implications of Satsuki's declarations to the one she loves... As the story progresses, she becomes a better and better writer as evidenced by the compliments she recieves for her screenplays and the accolades she gets for her novels and writings. There is NO QUESTION that she's immature in nature by the ease with which she is swayed to expose herself and be used by Junpei and Sotomura, merely because she loves Junpei... but as a writer, she is maturing at a brisk pace, and by the last chapter, it is indicated that she's become a fair success in her profession.

Junpei is OBVIOUSLY every bit as immature and inexperienced as Aya as a person, but that aside, he is immature at his CRAFT. MUCH more so than Aya is at hers. The critique of his independent film by the director makes clear that he has A LOT to learn before he is as well versed and facile with his ability as Aya is within her realm. As a director, it take MUCH more than raw talent to become a real professional. This means YEARS of late nights and often sudden changes of plans and far off travel to get the material needed to complete a project. Attentions required by the filmaking process are very unforgiving of personal relationships and it takes a VERY STRONG pair of lovers to survive the rigors of such a career.

My point was that for Aya and Junpei to have the synergy and unity that a writer/director relationship might yeild, they would BOTH have to be of a similar level of expertise. This would NOT come at the end of High School, but only YEARS later. Even if they HAD been so "fated" and their love triumphed bringing them together by the end of the series, it wouldn't have lasted. However, if they were to get together sometime MUCH later, AFTER years of life and career experience, they stand a good chance of finding that rarest of things... love that both feeds into and off of the careers/life choices of the individuals involved.

Quote:
2) I think you have to be smoking something to consider Tsukasa his first love. Aya is clearly his first love, she has all of the hallmark signs. He's put her on a pedestal and made her clearly too "perfect" to approach with his romantic feelings.
Hmmm... that's a strong way of framing your argument. Essentially it's all a matter of semantics. All I'm saying is that Tsukasa is truely Junpei's first "love" (he will suffer again and again for Tsukasa's approval) as opposed to the kind of childish, "puppy love" that never grew and flourished into true love that Aya and Junpei had for each other. My first "love" was the one I really poured my heart out to and made my girlfriend. The "loves" that proceeded it were merely emotional crushes leading up to my first relationship. it's all in how you define love... Love as a concept is so complicated, and yet in english covered by only one word... it's different in Japanese. I plan on getting the original manga and will look closely at how "love" was represented in the various cases. I don't know for each girl, whether they read "suki" or "koi" or "ai" in the original texts, as I only have read the scanslations...

Quote:
Most people move on from this stage of their life and marry someone they meet later on. It's usually not a friend either. Though if this were a real story in Japan, they'd probably all end up single and help contribute to the falling birth rate.
THAT Sir.. is FUNNY! Sad and true, but funny... Good-O!
Old 2006-05-11, 16:53   Link #338
litoyui

hey is i's manga is the same artist as ichigo 100%....because when i read i;s manga is remind me of ichigo 100% for some reason...maybe is because of the story both of the story is really nice...i love the story is sooo cute..
Old 2006-05-11, 17:09   Link #339
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by litoyui
hey is i's manga is the same artist as ichigo 100%....because when i read i;s manga is remind me of ichigo 100% for some reason...maybe is because of the story both of the story is really nice...i love the story is sooo cute..
Nah, there's really no relation, other than that they're both shounen ecchi romance stories that ran in (the Japanese) Shounen Jump magazine.
Old 2006-05-11, 18:07   Link #340
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Nah, there's really no relation, other than that they're both shounen ecchi romance stories that ran in (the Japanese) Shounen Jump magazine.
The guy behind I's is the same guy who did DNA Squared or Video Girl Ai.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, perverted, romance, shounen