AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-01, 20:33   Link #181
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Which plotline is that? They handled everything out.
Fish Girl just up and leaving the show never to be seen or heard from again, the plot with Sugata's troubles that just sort of ended without any real buildup to a resolution, the one about Takuto coming to the island to find his father that was almost immediately forgotten after the first episode only to kind of be brought back in the dying hours of the show, the one about Wako's past life on the island with that statue, Head's motives for using the Cybodies to suck all the life out of the world and what in the hell that had to do with his dead wife, that girl with glasses who was a maiden whose name escapes me's relationship with Sugata and what exactly she was doing with him, the whole thing about Sarina being an alien and where the cybodies came from and what they were supposed to be used for, Simone's whole deal with Ms. Watanabe, and many others that didn't have much in the way of closure or really any explanation at all. So many plotlines were raised and then almost immediately dropped or never fleshed out to any significant degree in a way that I don't think I've seen since Gundam Seed Destiny.

It could have easily managed them all in 26 episodes mind you had it actually tried, but unfortunately the writers felt that kissing through the glass and karaoke bar visits were far more important than having any real drama or tension involved in the story for any extended period of time. Any time there was a hint of real tension or drama between the characters they would typically either not even blink and just immediately put any issues they had between each other behind them or would just seem to forget about them entirely every time some new plotline cropped up or the episode ended. It's like the show could never have two simultaneous plotlines going together or something and it was just a really weird way of handling a 26 episode show from where I'm sitting. It made it such that the only real character dynamic that actually worked was the main trios relationship. That was about the only thing that really felt consistent throughout the entire shows run.

@Jarmel: Well I haven't read the manga, but I'm going to guess that since it's a story told from a Japanese point of view that the "U.S" are flat out black evil in their portrayal and "Iran" is portrayed as for the most part an innocent victim of whatever the conflict is supposed to be? Am I on the mark here?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 21:23   Link #182
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Fish Girl just up and leaving the show never to be seen or heard from again, the plot with Sugata's troubles that just sort of ended without any real buildup to a resolution, the one about Takuto coming to the island to find his father that was almost immediately forgotten after the first episode only to kind of be brought back in the dying hours of the show, the one about Wako's past life on the island with that statue, Head's motives for using the Cybodies to suck all the life out of the world and what in the hell that had to do with his dead wife, that girl with glasses who was a maiden whose name escapes me's relationship with Sugata and what exactly she was doing with him, the whole thing about Sarina being an alien and where the cybodies came from and what they were supposed to be used for, Simone's whole deal with Ms. Watanabe, and many others that didn't have much in the way of closure or really any explanation at all. So many plotlines were raised and then almost immediately dropped or never fleshed out to any significant degree in a way that I don't think I've seen since Gundam Seed Destiny.
Hmmm...

1. Fish Girl just up and leaving the show never to be seen or heard from again...
- I don't think there was any room for her plot other than being the one who tells, part of it anyway, the story of the Star Drivers.

2. the one about Takuto coming to the island to find his father that was almost immediately forgotten after the first episode only to kind of be brought back in the dying hours of the show....
- Chekhov's plot? But I am kinda reminded of it every time painting of "R"(?) keep popping up.

3. Head's motives for using the Cybodies to suck all the life out of the world and what in the hell that had to do with his dead wife...
- I don't think it has anything to do with his dead wife. Seems like he's just playing around with her at that time. To suck all life might his way of revenge, or he was corrupted with power. His dad obviously didn't give him the mark of their family prompting him to find someone willing to give theirs to him to the point of using BL.

4. Simone's whole deal with Ms. Watanabe

- Didn't she blame Watanabe for her mom's death? She was partly mistaken about that one though.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 21:36   Link #183
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
First off mythologically nothing in the series makes sense and there are contradictions as well. How is the Nirvash magically normal again? Why are they using a regular calendar? Why does Eureka not have her wings? What happened to the adopted kids. Nothing matches the original series. That article implies that most of the action will be focused in Okinawa via the Iran comment which screams Star Driver over again. This just seems like a complete mess.
Here's a crazy idea

Watch the show first, maybe, just maybe you will find out more. Just a hunch...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 21:53   Link #184
Jarmel

@Kaioshin

That's unfortunately is my guess after that Iran analogy.

@aardvark

Just like DtB Season 2 right? I have absolutely no faith in Bones after their many many failures the past few years. We'll see either way I guess.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 21:59   Link #185
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
@Kaioshin

That's unfortunately is my guess after that Iran analogy.

@aardvark

Just like DtB Season 2 right? I have absolutely no faith in Bones after their many many failures the past few years. We'll see either way I guess.
To some extent I sort of understand where you're coming from, Bones has been shitty for a while, but it's still not really fair to condemn the shows premise without at least getting a chance to see it in action. Just can't make that sort of call and have it stick without any sort of evidence. However anticipating failure is a different story. I really can't say I'm not just a little nervous myself given how badly Bones has shit the bed with their TV series over the last year or so.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 22:10   Link #186
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
To some extent I sort of understand where you're coming from, Bones has been shitty for a while, but it's still not really fair to condemn the shows premise without at least getting a chance to see it in action. Just can't make that sort of call and have it stick without any sort of evidence. However anticipating failure is a different story. I really can't say I'm not just a little nervous myself given how badly Bones has shit the bed with their TV series over the last year or so.
My initial post may have been a little harsh but this really is their last chance with me to prove that they're still a decent studio. This is my favorite or second-favorite series and just that opening chapter took a massive crap all over the mythology. I want to like this, I really do. That said, it's possible the anime tweaks certain things and production values should make this easier to swallow either way.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 22:56   Link #187
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I have come to realize that Kyoda might simply not be a very good writer when left to his own devices. But I guess we'll see.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 03:12   Link #188
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

I feel good about this series, I've like it may put Bones back on track. However my patience for them is wearing thin.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 07:09   Link #189
miketyson

Bones just did Un-Go, which at least I loved and brought them out of my personal dog house.

That said I'm basically with Jermal (though not as inflammatory): I really want this to be good, I don't think there's something *intrinsically* unworkable about a "whole thing takes place on a tiny island" concept, but the lack of any nontrivial connection to the original's universe makes me anxious. Will still be watching and hoping it turns out great, but the early excitement's definitely turning into a bit of a "wut?" feeling at this time.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 15:18   Link #190
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Not sure what is so wrong about getting inspired by the US and Iran situations.

"Inspired by the current awareness regarding American troop movements and the political situation in Iran."

Compared to Eureka 7, the producer would say:

This story is inspired by the hippie movement and the Summer of Love in San Francisco.

I would say that hippies sound more ridiculous compared to Iran, but it turned out great for us. Who would have known that the hippie revolution of love, peace, rock and roll with LSD, sex and cults would turn out to be a great romance mecha anime.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 16:23   Link #191
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://eurekaao-prj.net/?p=165

The Eureka Seven AO press conference will take place on Feb 16 in Japan. Similar to the Geass one held last month, Bandai will be streaming the recorded conference later that day at 10:30pm. The conference will announce the main cast members and also show the first trailer for the series.
Old 2012-02-04, 01:45   Link #192
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Not sure what is so wrong about getting inspired by the US and Iran situations.

"Inspired by the current awareness regarding American troop movements and the political situation in Iran."

Compared to Eureka 7, the producer would say:

This story is inspired by the hippie movement and the Summer of Love in San Francisco.

I would say that hippies sound more ridiculous compared to Iran, but it turned out great for us. Who would have known that the hippie revolution of love, peace, rock and roll with LSD, sex and cults would turn out to be a great romance mecha anime.
It's even less ridiculous because the political stuff was brought up quite openly even with the first E7, so this isn't new. Not to mention that even watching the show, it's obvious that it has an actual political slant that you don't see in most shows
Old 2012-02-04, 01:50   Link #193
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://eurekaao-prj.net/?p=165

The Eureka Seven AO press conference will take place on Feb 16 in Japan. Similar to the Geass one held last month, Bandai will be streaming the recorded conference later that day at 10:30pm. The conference will announce the main cast members and also show the first trailer for the series.
I just hope it only follow the manga loosely. The manga has no flow at all and has the worst build up and character introduction. Tbh all I'm expecting from that trailer is a sign Muraki and the awesome feeling I got from E7.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 02:20   Link #194
aardvark

I wouldn't take the manga at face value for anything other than actual plot details.

My only concern is who are the writers. I'm guessing this is gonna be a thing where Kyoda is kinda the chief overseer and there are credited main writers working on the majority of the show, which is basically how Xam'd was (and one of the faults of that show, as it could have definitely used an experienced guiding hand). I doubt Kyoda will write much at all, except maybe the first and last episode, so hopefully he has a better idea of what his story actually is, unlike Miyaji and Xam'd. (provided there isn't an actual person in charge of series composition and it just hasn't been revealed yet)
Old 2012-02-04, 04:38   Link #195
Alchemist007
*Author

Well according to the wiki, the writer is Yuuichi Katou, who I don't know much about. The older E7 manga was done by Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou, who also don't seem to have much background besides Deadman wonderland (ANN). I liked that E7 manga, the characters/story were treated fairly though not the same as the anime.
Old 2012-02-04, 06:40   Link #196
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
I wouldn't take the manga at face value for anything other than actual plot details.

My only concern is who are the writers. I'm guessing this is gonna be a thing where Kyoda is kinda the chief overseer and there are credited main writers working on the majority of the show, which is basically how Xam'd was (and one of the faults of that show, as it could have definitely used an experienced guiding hand). I doubt Kyoda will write much at all, except maybe the first and last episode, so hopefully he has a better idea of what his story actually is, unlike Miyaji and Xam'd. (provided there isn't an actual person in charge of series composition and it just hasn't been revealed yet)
Maybe it'll be another Mari Okada vehicle. Loooool.
Old 2012-02-05, 09:00   Link #197
hai_san

Cool new Eureka was my first thought but... the original Eureka is dead...
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 20:18   Link #198
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Cool new Eureka was my first thought but... the original Eureka is dead...
Spoiler for reaction:

Where did you get that from???
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 04:24   Link #199
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Oh God. There are new characters in this month's anime magazines. This really no longer looks like Eureka 7 at all. Wtf is going on?

Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-08, 04:27   Link #200
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Oh God. There are new characters in this month's anime magazines. This really no longer looks like Eureka 7 at all. Wtf is going on?

Spoiler:
This looks like more Star Driver and Lagrange than E7.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen