AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 8 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 22.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 43.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 11.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-22, 07:47   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I don't think it's a big question? Satoru's grandma explained it in the previous episode. Society basically doesn't recognize children as humans until they're 17, so they can be freely disposed of if need be. They keep training, testing and observing them, culling those who show potential symptoms of anything dangerous. I guess the leaders thought a period of 17 years is enough time for observation (especially since it includes the most problematic years) so if a child passes 17 without displaying any dangerous tendencies they're probably OK. Saki & Co. are 14 now, they still have 3 years to go.

Mamoru was marked for elimination because his overall instability reached a breaking point, or so they think, anyway. When he thought he was being stalked by a cat he panicked, and the panic triggered a destructive attack pretty much subconsciously. OK so it turned out he was really being stalked by a cat, but what if it was just a sudden bout of paranoia brought on by his previous experiences? What if he had hurt someone? The fact that his power activated on its own is bad enough.
You can't have it both ways. You can't argue Mamoru was targeted for elimination because his power activated when he thought he was being stalked by a cat, because he'd already been targeted by the time the incident happened.

Aside from that, why would they target him just about Saki learned the truth? It's no coincidence.
Old 2012-12-22, 08:26   Link #22
ookamigirl

Following trails in the snow..
All that's left of Mamoru were his sled.
Luckily a queerat saved him.
So he ran 'cause they wanted to kill him too.
Damn, they seem to be offing kids a lot lately.
Things are getting more complicated.
Not much is know and the mystery continues.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-12-22, 09:45   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's definitely one of the big questions that comes out of this episode, but the kids are 14, not 16.
Thanks for the info. I went with 16 because I thought there was another time-skip after the death of Shun. But maybe it was just a few months, and they're still 14.

And kuromitsu, there's two reasons why I find the sudden targeting of Mamoru suspicious.

First of all, it's not like he's exhibiting things that he hasn't been exhibiting all along. The guy's always had a crying, cowardly side. His latest "nervous wreck attack" was perhaps a bit louder than most, but still, it's nothing new.

So I can't help but think that there's something new and special at play here. Such as...

Quote:
Aside from that, why would they target him just about Saki learned the truth? It's no coincidence.
Yeah, that's how I feel too.

Maybe Mamoru has always been a borderline guy - Just competent enough with his powers to not fall into Reiko territory, just emotionally stable enough not to fall into Shun territory. They decided he wasn't much threat, but that he was more "expendable" than most if hard choices have to be made.

I can see some people on the Ethics Committee having second thoughts on Saki - "Sure, she's impressively emotionally stable, but she can't handle the conflicts of interest inherent in this position. Whenever there was a conflict between "helping her friends" and "following the rules", she always chooses to break the rules. She'll always put her friends and loved ones before the role of Head of the Ethics Committee, and that's unacceptable for somebody in that role."

And maybe it was agreed upon that Mamoru will provide Saki with a final test to see if she's now willing to put "the greater good" of her society ahead of the personal welfare of her family and friends.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-12-22 at 09:58.
Old 2012-12-22, 10:18   Link #24
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm a little bit surprised that a kid can last as long as Mamoru did, and only now get marked for elimination.

I mean, the kids are what, 16 now? I wonder what made this society change their minds on Mamoru at this point (since he apparently was fine up until recently).
The timing is definitely suspicious. It doesn't seem like anything about Mamoru has changed those past few years. His emotional instability is nothing new, and it hasn't gotten worse from what we've seen. Furthermore, I personally don't think he has the qualities of a latent fiend. Satoru himself agrees there is no reason for him to be targeted: his cantus is average (so not much risk of him being able to commit a massive atrocity like K or Shun), his personality although a bit too meek and introverted is not a problem, and he has always been the most obedient of the five. Among the group, he is probably the closest to a model citizen.

I agree with you and Enzo that this might be a test for Saki. I wonder what exactly they want her to do though...? They should know there is no way she would betray her friend.

Anyway, they are definitely in a precarious situation. There are not many options open to them. They can either bring back Mamoru by force (not gonna happen) or choose to stay with him outside of the Holy Barrier. The preview infers that

Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-22, 10:20   Link #25
pinoscotto

i think saki's friends were spared becouse the ethics committee wanted to test her, now that saki has been tested there isn't a reson to keep them alive
Old 2012-12-22, 10:32   Link #26
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
That's definitely one of the big questions that comes out of this episode, but the kids are 14, not 16.
Wow, is that for certain? I thought the whole reason why they had to deal with Mamoru now was that they were running out of time before his 17th birthday made him a full-fledged person under the code of ethics, and they had to make a decision that they had been wavering on ever since the library incident.

If there is still time before then, that suggest that his imminent disposal is either a test (or tribulation) for Saki, or else he's very recently been flagged as a threat for some reason.
Old 2012-12-22, 10:38   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I agree with you and Enzo that this might be a test for Saki. I wonder what exactly they want her to do though...? They should know there is no way she would betray her friend.
It just occurred to me that maybe this is an elaborate way to simply remove the remaining conflicts of interest for Saki.

Scare Mamoru into thinking he's being targeted for elimination, and hence he runs away. Maria loves him so she'll search Mamoru out.

Maybe the gamble is this will lead into Maria and Mamoru leaving the village and living the life of nomads.

This would mean that the only people left in the village that Saki has any particular attachment to are her parents, and Satoru.
Old 2012-12-22, 10:57   Link #28
kuromitsu

Quote:
You can't have it both ways. You can't argue Mamoru was targeted for elimination because his power activated when he thought he was being stalked by a cat, because he'd already been targeted by the time the incident happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
First of all, it's not like he's exhibiting things that he hasn't been exhibiting all along. The guy's always had a crying, cowardly side. His latest "nervous wreck attack" was perhaps a bit louder than most, but still, it's nothing new.
It's been not long since the blocks on their memory re: Shun have started to crack. This is what prompted Satoru's grandma to talk to Saki, after all. And sure, Saki, Satoru and Maria are handling it well so far, but Mamoru? not really. As Triple_R said, maybe he's always been walking on the edge, so to speak, and they spared him because he didn't show any particularly dangerous tendencies. But now it's different. Now he has various dangerous thoughts in his head that make him visibly upset, and may send his mind off on very dangerous paths. He's always been kind of unstable, and with this new knowledge who knows what might happen. So, kitty. And while knowing he's being targeted doesn't help Mamoru's psyche at all, his reaction the second time proves that something may not be fully OK with him now and he may become dangerous - given that apparently he can't fully control his power on a conscious level. (Then again, he may have dealt with his issues on his own or with Maria's help, had they not targeted him, so the decision is questionable. But when your job involves watching people like a hawk, judging their every move looking for something potentially dangerous at which point you must remove them... I suppose it's only a matter of time until you develop some sort of paranoia.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-22 at 14:51.
Old 2012-12-22, 11:18   Link #29
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Sorry to drop the IQ points in this thread a little bit, but I couldn't have been the only one getting unintentional lols at Maria bunny hoping all the way?

Though, I kinda like how we get hints of their cantus becoming more personalised. And it wasn't just Maria because there was an interesting moment when Satoru retrieved the sled by throwing off the snow in a fashion eerily similar to his rock throwing back when he was battling the Monster Rats. Since the cantus are a product of their unconscious, I wonder if these personalisations will give us a deeper/added insight into their psyche.
Old 2012-12-22, 11:24   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Sorry to drop the IQ points in this thread a little bit, but I couldn't have been the only one getting unintentional lols at Maria bunny hoping all the way?
Nope, you weren't the only one. I found that very funny for some reason (and kind of cute, too)
Old 2012-12-22, 12:05   Link #31
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Nope, you weren't the only one. I found that very funny for some reason (and kind of cute, too)
It made me wonder if her cantus specialty is less to do with actual levitation, and more just the ability to control weight, or the gravity around herself. If she could just float, it would be a waste of energy to be constantly kicking off the ground to propel herself, but if she can make herself near-weightless, then it would take almost no effort at all. The snow shoes Saki wears look like they rely more on weight and balance, with the cantus just being a means of propulsion. Maria's way is probably easier for her, given her specialty.

And yes, it was very cute.
Old 2012-12-22, 14:12   Link #32
Dark Wing

Quote:
Are you sure about that because I could 've sorn that it was said back in episode 11 that the had to find partners at 16.

Anyway I agree with what others have said the board of education or ethics committee are targeting Mamoru either because they're running out of time or as a way to test Saki.
Old 2012-12-22, 14:36   Link #33
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Are you sure about that because I could 've sorn that it was said back in episode 11 that the had to find partners at 16.
No, they didn't say that, they said it was "that winter" - that is, the winter of the year when the Shun incident happened.

Also, aww, they made the kitty make dog noises. It's a pity they didn't make it more cat-like. Cats don't growl like that. (Then again, animals tend to be silent when they're stalking their prey...)

Btw, I watched it with subs, and wtf, copycats?? o_o) I can barely understand "Cantus" (I don't know why there was even a need to rename it, and why a bunch of Japanese people 1000 yr in the future would call their innate power a Latin word that, if I'm not mistaken, means "singing" or something like that), but copycats? Why? o_o)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-22 at 15:15.
Old 2012-12-22, 15:43   Link #34
deadsea

Why they want to kill mamoru ? besides from his personality, Mamoru don´t showed a "bonobo behaviour" , which is a way to release stress. Maybe is something wrong with him, and that is a obstacle.
Old 2012-12-22, 16:44   Link #35
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like how they brought back the queerrat that they saved when they were younger. Good that they found Mamoru, but to bad he had no option, but to run. From the preview sounds like Maria will be staying with Mamoru, while Saki and Satoru return to the village.
Old 2012-12-22, 16:59   Link #36
Theo

Why can't Maria into psychic skiing?

Super Maria World
Old 2012-12-22, 17:07   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

Super Maria World
I'd sooooo play a Shin Sekai Yori-based mod of Super Mario Bros.

Mamoru Toad: Maria, your Princess (Saki) is in another Castle!

All those big cats would be used in place of Bowser. Queerats in place of goombas. Minishiros in place of turtles.
Old 2012-12-22, 17:16   Link #38
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
No, they didn't say that, they said it was "that winter" - that is, the winter of the year when the Shun incident happened.
However we don't know that for sure. Narrator Saki said "that winter" but not the exact date and since all of the kids appear much old then last we saw them at least one year most have pasted. After all a cover up on the level of the one done to erase Shun had to take a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I don't know personal preference I guess. Maybe with time and practice she'll be flying.
Old 2012-12-22, 18:48   Link #39
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
However we don't know that for sure. Narrator Saki said "that winter" but not the exact date and since all of the kids appear much old then last we saw them at least one year most have pasted. After all a cover up on the level of the one done to erase Shun had to take a while.
But they don't look any older? At all... They wear bulkier clothing because it's winter, that's all. There was no mention of any timeskip either, unlike the 12 yr->14 yr timeskip. And there's no need to say an exact date when you're talking about events that transpired in the same period of time: "that winter" means "the winter following the incidents I was talking about." And anyway, in the novel 26 year old Saki mentions that this story arc happened 12 years earlier. 26-12=14.

(What reason would there be for them to be suddenly 16, anyway? What would be the point?)
Old 2012-12-22, 18:59   Link #40
Rakshasa

Board of Education and the Ethics Committee might not be entirely in agreement regarding the handling of the group through the various events, and therefor the former decided to destabilise the foundation of the group in order to eliminate Saki as a successor to the job she was offered.

There might be some serious disagreements considering how often they all were willing to break the rules, and as the competition episode told us the Board of Education considers rule breaking to be a quite serious red flag. However the Ethics Committee might have a different view, e.g. considering more the context and the person.